[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Heretic 2? Also, dark fantasy 3d games thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: heretic-ii_4.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
heretic-ii_4.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Thoughts on Heretic 2?

Also, dark fantasy 3d games thread.
>>
>>4140217
>Heretic 2
you mean hexen right
>>
I wanted to play it but I couldn't get the musics to work.

Also the settings seemed to have a thousand different commands you can set to your keyboard which felt unfriendly for a beginner
>>
>>4140217
A good game for its time. Nothing like the first game. Can't remember shit.

Played the demo quite a bit.
>>
File: Map_Parthoris.png (514KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Map_Parthoris.png
514KB, 640x480px
One of the biggest disappointments of my teen gaming-years.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good game but they really fucked up by having a map of Parthoris with your progress as a loading screen where in the end 90% on it turns out to be completely irrelevant.
You don't just mention exciting sounding places like "Forgotten City of Ice" or "Harpy Isle" and then never actually use them.
In the end I probably spent way more time with the included Quake 2 Engine editor than with the game itself.
>>
>>4140442
Maybe they were going to be in a expansion?
>>
>>4140442
Yes! I was also dissapointed by that too.
I played the game when I was 10-11 and I remember the first human enemy for some reason scared the crap out of me.
I spent months playing on the empty multiplayer maps before I gathered enough courage for the actual game again.

This was actually a scary game for me on my first PC ever along with Doom 2 but I also remember having high expectations from the map. I wanted to battle that giant squid.
>>
>>4140485
OP here.

Holy shit kids derailed this quickly, it sure is summer. I just wanted to talk about a game I never see here but I guess threads go unnoticed unless it's ANOOOOTHER Ocarina of Time thread or another "Duke vs Quake" thread for the 1000th time
>>
>>4140217
OP I played this game on LAN back in the day with some friends. Turning people into a big angry chicken rules.
>>
>>4140217
I like Hexen 2 better because of the ridiculous tricks you can do to gain speed in that game. It's like Quake on crack.
>>
>>4140810
Nice bait.
>>
>>4140810
Missing out on some good titles, Anon.
3rd Person, while not my favorite, doesn't stop the game from being fun.
>>
Would like to try how does it compare to Rune?
>>
>>4140807
Almost let someone talk me out of playing Hexen II because they said the game was "obtuse". I guess they were talking about the puzzles, but I actually enjoyed running around like a retard for an hour in the egyptian level trying to solve that goddamn sundial bit with my mates. Almost worried to go back and play it now 'cause I might find out that puzzle wasn't hard and we were just fucking dumb.
>>
>>4141085
Heretic 2 felt a lot more fluid and faster, mainly due to your staff main weapon and its whirl and kick attacks which later on becomes so powerful that you probably barely use any other weapons for most of the game.
>>
File: soulreaver.jpg (248KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
soulreaver.jpg
248KB, 1024x819px
>>4140217
Been playing Soul Reaver because my GPU is on the fritz. Currently working my way though the Cathedral. This game holds up so freaking well. I love it.
>>
>>4141342
Yeah I went back and the puzzles were really easy.
>>
>>4140217
>dark fantasy 3d games thread.
That will be a short thread.

I mean, what else is there apart from Hexen and Heretic?

Die by the sword?
Rune?
Blade of Darkness?
Does Enclave count?
Does Gothic?
Arx Fatalis?
Summoner?
>>
>>4142763
I think that OP meant more actioney games, rather than rpgs.
>>
>>4142772
Aside from maybe the last three all of them are pretty ''actioney''.

My point being that there aren't that many of those.
>>
man, heretic 2 was the tits

off the top of my head I can only think of nightmare creatures for the ps1
>>
>>4142763
Deathtrap Dungeon
>>
>>4140217
I loved it, and Hexen 2 even more. I never liked the original Heretic and Hexen, though.
>>
>>4142763
This is a good list, has both of what I was going to post - Severance and Gothic (2). I love these type of games but I haven't really dug into PC ones. I'd love to hear more in depth discussion on their relative strengths and weaknesses.
>>
I was turned off by the genre change for Heretic 2 but I really want to give it a chance again after playing some /vr/ rpgs. What game it it comparable to?
>>
>>4143091
The closest is probably Jedi Knight once you get the lightsaber and put the game into third person mode - only with less Force powers and more magical shit.
>>
>>4143063
Oh shit I completely forgot about DD.

Now that I think about it there was also Drakan and Asghan The Dragon Slayer tho they were more hack&slash-y than action adventures I think.

>>4143084
>I love these type of games but I haven't really dug into PC ones. I'd love to hear more in depth discussion on their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Well they all kinda have the same weakness as most 3rd person action-adventures of that time, namely devs still trying to figure out how to properly place the controls on a keyboard or how to properly utilize the mouse in the gameplay. While you can change them in the options in most of these games the default control-scheme in any of them makes it physically painful to play them on a Keyboard alone and most of them were not designed for KB + Mouse controls.
Dunno if you ever got to play Tomb Raider 1 or 2 on PC but they are pretty much famous for their awful controls and aforementioned games are no exception.
The trend of assigning multiple context-based functions to the same key in vidya is fairly recent.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.