[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (17KB, 275x155px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 275x155px
>PlayStation wins it's gen
>"yeah, because if poors. Piracy is why Sony won, mot games!"
>Dreamcast absoultuley tanks it
>"p-piracy killed the the best boy! It ahould have been the Dreamcasts turn!!"

So which is it? Why do i never see consistent arguments on /v/ or /vr/? I literally asked this question elsewhere and was given the cop-out answer "but the circumstances were different."
>>
the playstation won because of its library
the dreamcast lost because SEGA was run by potatoes
>>
Who the fuck ever said piracy was how the PS won? It won because it pushed 3D hard and CDs are cheaper than carts.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 640x426px
>>4137926
/v/ are having an entire thread right now about why the PSX SUCKS MAN! And totally cheated its win of that gen.
>>
DC died because of the PS2. Sega commited sudoku because they knew they had no chance, also the Xbox, which was a big deal in USA.
PS1 wins its gen because Sony had a privileged position, them owning factories that produced CDs and DVDs.
They did smart moves with 3rd parties and became the top system, however, piracy is also a factor for the popularity of the PS1 in 3rd world countries. And this is not to be underestimated as Sony sold millions of systems on regions like Latin America or South Asia.
It would have still won, but piracy did help hardware sales, for sure.
>>
>>4137935
Hardware install base means fuck all when there's no games being sold. The systems are sold at a loss in the hope that software licenses will provide the cash.
That's why the PS3 struggled at first and got rid of backward compatibility. They sold a ton of machines but couldn't move any new game sales.

PS won because... who was going to stop it? N64 was more expensive, had a fucked up launch and just didn't have the third party support. The Saturn was doomed from day one of its surprise US launch and hardware that didnt focus on that new 3D hotness. The Jaguar? Get real.

The Playstation came at exactly the right moment in time to secure victory.
>>
>>4137935
>PS1 wins its gen because Sony had a privileged position, them owning factories that produced CDs and DVDs

That might make life easier for the company but i think your logic is flawed, why would consumers give a flying fuck about Sony's pretty factory? Also the same logic never saved the PS3 with Blu-Ray
>>
Playstaion won because it appealed to normies.
>>
>>4137957
>why would consumers give a flying fuck about Sony's pretty factory
Do you not understand how that would affect the price of the games? Why would consumers give a flying fuck about the price of things, right?
>>
>>4137958
>hurr durr normies, only hardcore gamers play mario kart!

Thank FUCK for based normies then because i didn't just have to buy a console that had a monopoly on the industry and just wanted to sell me the next mario party.
>>
>>4137961
And were saturn disc based games more than PSX? I can't honestly remember because i didn't actually physically see a saturn until i was already a man.
>>
>>4137961
And yet the PS3? When Sony owned bluray? PS3 games were not cheap my man. I remember Call of Duty 3 and Virtua Fighter V sitting on shelves for £55
>>
>>4137964
Yes. they tended to cost a bit more. I lived on post (dad was in the army) and even as the Saturn section at the games department shrank the games still cost a bit more. Also taking into account that making the same game for the Saturn was more difficult. The PS was famous for its ease of development
>>
>>4137967
Games these days, even at $60 a pop, are about on par with what they've always been when adjusted for inflation. And ever since the Sixth Gen, development costs have been going crazy. Some games for the 6 and 7th gen have Hollywood movie sized development budgets.
>>
>>4137954
You can boast about more sales, which helps the company get even more investors and raise their stock.
As I said, piracy was not the reason PS1 won, but piracy helped raise the hardware sell a ton, even if sold at a loss, that didn't matter because PS1 was pure profit. This helped in a sort of figure sales way.
>>4137957
As others pointed out, this didn't just help a bit with cost, but with ease for developers to release their games.
The same doesn't apply to PS3 because it was just a different situation, but BD winning the format war against HDVD helped Sony keep the PS3 afloat in the first rocky years.
>>
File: original.jpg (246KB, 1024x818px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
246KB, 1024x818px
>>4137987
Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES retailed at about $60-70..that like
$110 in 2017 money...
>>
>>4137995
I recall Phantasy Star IV sitting at fucking $80 until the Genesis games were taken out entirely. $80 and that was well into the crappy cardboard game box and b&w manual era of the system
>>
>>4138006
And a cart that held 4MB.
>>
>>4137920
Piracy wasn't responsible for PS1 winning, but it did make the console's victory in the console war look better than it was.

IIRC PS1 only outsold N64 2:1 prior to the N64's discontinuation. Obviously those extra sales in 2001/2002/2003 were going to come from poor countries where piracy was rampant since richer ones had moved onto the PS2.

The argument that piracy killed Dreamcast is equally flawed as that in which piracy delivered PS1 its console war victory. It only accentuated particular situations but was not responsible for them.
>>
>>4138034
I worked at EB after the DC launch but before the PS2 came out. Customers were perfectly happy with waiting for the PS2 and totally bypassed the DC.

PS1 was still kicking ass and folks had zero reason to trust Sega again. The DC doing as well as it even did was a miracle.
>>
>>4137920
SEGA was a game developer, Sony wasn't.
>>
There is a difference in piracy between the Dreamcast and the PS1. The PS1 meant you had to modify the system, the dreamcast you simply burned the disc and put it in.

This is a vastly different scenario.
>>
>>4137934
>listening to underaged who weren't even alive back then, let alone remembers it.
>>
>>4137920
Playstation won in the USA because FF7 came out on it.
>>
>>4137920
You fags are missing out how you needed a modchip to run most high profile PS1 games but not on the Dreamcast.
>>
>>4138249
>You fags are missing out how you needed a modchip to run most high profile PS1 games but not on the Dreamcast.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Fucking underage
>>
>>4138249
You either don't know the definition of high profile, don't know what a modchip did, or both.
>>
>>4138264
i know you was a toddler back then
>>
>>4137958

Games on the PS1 were single player and virgin oriented, N64 games were kiddie multiplayer fests with shooters and platformers, that was the kiddie console
>>
>>4138279
Great argument, faggot
>>
>>4138296
>virgin oriented
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>4138304

Sorry I should have said "anime styled" games

N64 was still the casual choice
>>
>>4138304
Tomb Raider, or other games young virgin males would buy because BEWBS.
>>
File: face-exercises.jpg (44KB, 475x653px) Image search: [Google]
face-exercises.jpg
44KB, 475x653px
>>4137924
What a fucking bullshit, holy fuck!!!

1.) Sega didn't lost with the dreamcast, the dreamcast games are oustanding. Sega lost in the long run. First SEGA grabbed people who hated nintendo, so they had an audience. Then with sony there were suddenly 2 strong marketing competitions fighting for a simliar audience (price range, game types). So SEGA wasn't interested anymore to compete in the console wars against Nintendo AND Sony, especially because:
2.) while playstation is a fucking garbage console, sony marketing did everything they wanted. Grab all that idiots that didn't knew gaming. Playstations marketing was getting all the kids in the city that were "cool" and never touched a console before. With the big marketing even real gamers had to fall for it sooner or later. This point can further be proven with the PS2 which was BOUGHT BY HOUSEWIFES and DADs who never played games before, because it was like the iphone nowadays, "cool" and a status symbol and to have a final excuse a shitty dvd player.
3.) The playstation games library is not good. There are tons of abysmal titles in there and few good ones. The weird thing about playstation is that overall, the console didn't understood game. It has so many flaws, towards real gamers it's a pain...

Overall, SEGA gave up on making consoles. It's not like making consoles makes you holy or something. Basicly Playstation is a retro candy crush. It never could have lost the war because it was backed up by the most unholy marketing (like candy crush)
>>
>>4138310
>The playstation games library is not good. There are tons of abysmal titles in there and few good ones.
That describes every single console in existence. All consoles have maybe 15% good stuff and the rest is 'meh' to outright crap.
>>
>>4138310

Playstation's success will never ever stop making autists mad, they will find any excuse to justify their fav console's demise at its hands, even to the point of saying their god tier libraries are somehow bad when they are the best with SNES

Later, when they get confronted with lists full of masterpiece after masterpiece, they will say they are bad, because they know deep inside they have been BTFO
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>4138328
>>4138326
Well, you are right and bringing me towards another point
4.) because the plaguestation had the biggest audience thanks to retarded non gamers, game creators like capcom of course drifted towards that shit console, like flies towards shit, because they are greedy fuckers who forgot how to make games thanks to the stupid plague station audience. See modern games of capcom and konami... *cough*
>>
File: 4658123645312.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
4658123645312.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>adds another retarded namefag to the filter
>>
>>4138230
It's kind of similar to the DS vs PSP piracy later, the PSP got killed by piracy because you could just run custom firmware and then put the ISOs on a memory stick. The DS had horrible piracy too, but you actually had to buy a flashcart, which aren't as easily acquired.
>>
File: Eiffel_65_My_Console.jpg (27KB, 509x448px) Image search: [Google]
Eiffel_65_My_Console.jpg
27KB, 509x448px
>>4138307
>>4138306
Not sure how it is in other countries, but in the UK I heard stories that the PS was the first casual console that socially well adjusted people got into considering it had a wide array of sports and racing titles. Also, there were some clubs that had a PS hooked up to a wall for people to play.
>>
>>4137920
Jesus, it's as if they're arguments made by different people or something, I see where you're coming from anon
>>
>>4138310
>The playstation games library is not good
>>>/v/
>>
>>4138553
Yeah, thats part of what I am talking about. Like in germanistan
>>
>>4137934
/v/ was invaded by moralfags with advent of smartphones and facebook kiddies wanting to join sekrit 4chan klub, if you're confused by their opinions instead of just disregarding them then you're just sheep unable to form it's own opinion on things
>>
>>4137920
PSX won because it was the cheapest to produce games for, had the most relative performance, and the least limiting publisher oversight.

That, and Sony was seen as one of the best companies on the market at the time.

DC died because Sega went bankrupt before they could build up enough steam to counter the PS2. Also, no DVDs.
>>
>>4138553
>My console

Legendary song desu
>>
>>4138593
>Sony was seen as one of the best companies on the market at the time

This, it's the equivalent of Apple today.
>>
>>4137920
PS2+MGS2 hype killed it.
>>
>>4138230
Swap trick.
>>
>>4138341
At least Gramps makes sense and doesn't spew retarded shit all the damn time. This new guy is fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1411330583449.png (354KB, 725x684px) Image search: [Google]
1411330583449.png
354KB, 725x684px
>>4138310

You sound so salty lol.

>The playstation games library is not good

fucking lel
>>
>>4137954

I'd argue getting rid of backwards compatibility was more because consoles were literally frying themselves with the amount of cramped hardware they stuffed inside with shitty glue and no regard as to how it was actually going to hold up. The number of phat PS3's still kicking has got to be tiny.
>>
>>4138230

>You had to modify the system

You could literally buy modded systems for a few bucks more at almost any game store, nobody gave enough of a shit yet and it was easy money. I still don't think Piracy had a big impact on the PS but it was hardly some obscure trick.
>>
>>4137920
piracy also helped the playstation enter and establish in third world markets, similar to the snk arcade games. even if game sales from those regions were not particularly big, being able to sell the console and position the brand in those markets (while sega mostly neglected distribution/marketing in said markets) were an important turning point.
>>
>>4138794
Game stores near me did not do this. The fact still stands that dreamcast piracy is much more accessible
>>
>>4137962

Mario party is pretty consistently fun though
>>
>>4138310

ps2 solidified Sony with having the best library with classic after classic
Go play seaman
>>
>>4138310
>>4138336
Thanks for being a namefag, now I can filter you.
>>
The Dreamcast failure has more to do with SEGA being run by retards
>>
>>4137934
That thread was horrendous.
>>
>>4137920
Sega lost because it's last two consoles were poorly marketed, and they lost a lot of trust with third party publishers due to the roll out of the Saturn. That is the simplified version.
>>
>>4138310

PS2 has more good games than any other console faggot
>>
>>4141265
>2 has more good games than any other console faggot
Well backwards compatibility didn't hurt either.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.