[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snes s video cables

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (118KB, 468x359px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
118KB, 468x359px
Ive been intrested in using pic related for my super nintendo but there only two ninty five on ebay should I get a better quality cable or does it matter
>>
The golden rule is to avoid S-Video cables that also come bundled with composite video, because 9 times out of 10 that means the S-Video plug isn't actually going to output S-Video quality. It's kind of a lottery though unless you're buying OEM cables.
>>
>>4131613
For that price does it really matter?

>>4131618
What exactly is it outputting then? RF over s-video? kek.
>>
>>4132661
Basically, instead of taking s-video directly off the video encoder's s-video line, the cable just takes the composite line and separates the luma from the chroma. The result is you're getting the low-res chroma from composite, and even worse, you're bypassing your TV's comb filter (which isn't necessary for s-video). So when all is said and done, you're getting a picture that is inferior to regular composite cables.
>>
>>4132661
>What exactly is it outputting then? RF over s-video? kek.
No. Composite

The best S-Video cable for the SNES, N64 and GameCube is the official Nintendo S-Video Cable or the Monster S-Video Cable.
>>
>>4132714
Sorry, low-res luma. You're also likely to get hideous checkerboard artifacts. Essentially, don't buy any s-video cable that also has a composite video connector.
>>
>>4131613
I got some off amazon for $5. They arrive Friday. If the thread is still up by then, I will make a svideo composite comparison for you.
>>
>>4132714
So they put a bunch of shit in the cable instead of just connecting wires. Sounds legit.

>>4132718
>>4132720
You'll believe any bullshit you see on the internet won't you.
>>
>>4131613
If you want a S Video cable is a lot easier to make than RGB ones. Pretty hard to screw up.
>>
I've seen this recommended by some people

http://m.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131859379599?hash=item1eb36e758f%3Ag%3Avn0AAOSwEppUPd4d&_trkparms=pageci%253A4b826869-6cfe-11e7-aa6c-74dbd1802223%257Cparentrq%253A5e1c777615d0a99b93c9bc52ffff0f25%257Ciid%253A19

Anyone have any input on this cable/seller?
>>
>>4132928
Dumb motherfucker. Like composite video, s-video contains both luma (Y) and chroma (C). Y and C are kept separate in s-video, which allows Y to be transmitted at a higher resolution. Many cheap composite/s-video combo cables, however, take the Y component from the composite line. So you're getting the lower resolution Y component, rather than the separate higher resolution Y component output by the console. It doesn't require any extra materials on the cable manufacturer's side; quite the opposite, in fact. It allows them to advertise having both a composite and an s-video connector while saving money by having one less wire than they'd need if they properly separated Y.

Learn a thing or two about video standards before shooting your mouth off, kid.
>>
>>4133010
Top kek kid. You're just parroting shit you heard from some other kid. Nothings "transmitted at a higher resolution". The difference in quality is caused by crosstalk when you combine the signals onto a single connection.
Oh the irony.
>>
>>4133584
>Top kek kid
>Oh the irony.
Indeed. Other guy can fuck off too.
>>
>>4131618
>>4132714
>>4132720

I call bullshit. Cheap SNES cables don't just feed composite into the Luma port and then a seperate chroma I to the appropriate place. Post sources instead of shit post.
>>
>>4132661
>>4132928
>>4133584
>>4133585
>>4134006
triggered faux S-Video plebs
>>
>>4134075

Like I said, "faux s video" isn't a thing. You're an idiots shit poster who can't back himself up. Source or you're another fag
>>
>>4134075
>asked for sources
>shitposts and provides none
Confirmed bullshit. Thanks for playing kiddo.
>>
>>4132714
>the cable just takes the composite line and separates the luma from the chroma
This doesn't make sense. That'd make the cable more expensive than just wiring luma and chroma properly.
>>
>>4135030
pretty sure they just run composite through both chroma and luma.
>>
>>4134828
Image quality is no better than Composite, and you see checkerboard artifacts come up. I've tested it myself, along with many others.

Look it up.
>>
>>4135087

You can say it all you want, but if you don't produce proof then noone beleives you.
>>
>>4135087

Cut one of these shitty cables open and post a picture faggot. You can't, because you don't have one, because they don't exist
>>
>>4135091
I'm not going to spoon feed you, faggot.

>>4135125
5/10 you get a (You)
>>
>>4131613
I bought one from a Canadian eBay seller that cost me around $15-20 USD. It was some generic, unlabeled brand, but advertised as Cinpel or something I think. I forget because it was a while back, but it was a large step up from Composite regardless.
>>
>>4135142

I bought one from a seller from Quebec, cost 15 CAD, shipped. The s video plug offers a MUCH better image than the composite option and it is one of those s video/composite combo cables
>>
>>4135157
was it from Maxwar?
>>
>>4135138
>i couldn't find any evidence to support the bullshit ive been parroting
kek
>>
>>4135226

Nope, saveonmany
>>
>>4135125
>>4135091
http://www.micro-64.com/features/svideo.shtml
>>
>>4132928
t. shitty cable ebay vendor
>>
>>4135418
You're fucking retarded kid.
>>
>>4136534

You're a retarded fuck and he's right. You can't back up your shitposting.
>>
>>4136534
Still waiting for your proof kiddo
>>
>>4135087
>Image quality is no better than Composite, and you see checkerboard artifacts come up.
That's what happens when you use shitty S-Video, a lot of these cords aren't even properly grounded

one way to remedy this is to get a cord from a seller who actually has information and pictures on the listing. you could also get the official Nintendo S-Video cable like me, but only a few are so lucky. There's not many out there in the wild anymore
>>
>>4132718
>official Nintendo S-Video Cable
When did nintendo ever sell this?
>>
>>4137524
>>4136601

>>4136209
>>
>>4137642
>That's what happens when you use shitty S-Video, a lot of these cords aren't even properly grounded
That's exactly what that guy was saying.
>>
Jesus Christ, this shit is still alive? You all agree that there are a bunch of shitty s-video cables out there, and are arguing like autists over precisely WHY they're shit. Talk about being unable to see the forest for the trees...

Bottom line: when looking for an s-video cable, try to find one that doesn't have a composite video connector (usually a red flag, quality-wise), and try to find one where the cable running to the MDIN4 connector is thicker than the cables running to the RCA connectors.
>>
>>4136209

That site only shows the difference between composite and a video. It also only claims that there are shitty s video cables without actually proving it. Way to go, you're retarded
>>
>>4139014
They literally bridge the composite signal to S-video luma to save running one wire.
>>
File: svideo bad cable interference.jpg (408KB, 1874x768px) Image search: [Google]
svideo bad cable interference.jpg
408KB, 1874x768px
>>4139029
>>
>>4139029
>>4139034
Thank you. I don't have any of these shit cables anymore, so I couldn't post a demo with my multimeter.
>>
>>4135157
Get as multimetrer and do this: >>4139029

If it doesn't beep and show negligible resistance in continuity mode, your cable is at least wired correctly.

Assuming proper wiring, adequately thick conductors and shielding are what make for a quality cable, although that part's hard to verify without ripping the cable open.
>>
>>4139045
I made those pics a while ago and keep them around just because there's always another that-fucking-guy.

I ended up salvaging the multi-out connector and pins, and tossed the rest of the cable because it was just shit construction. Then cut a length of shielded 4-conductor plenum and built a proper s-video cable with that connector.
>>
>>4136601
You're a braindead retard and he's wrong. See how easy that was? ;D

>>4137524
1) https://youtu.be/RwErFV9awn4
2) https://youtu.be/g94Ve0FLjMQ

There you go kiddo. Ever after learning this stunning new revelation, you'll still be retarded.
>>
>>4139029
>>4139049
>>4139034

Does the s video which relies on composite for Luma still have slightly better quality than straight up composite? I'm just wondering since atleast the color information still travels along its own wire, giving it less interference to deal with
>>
So anyone has a recommendation for cables?
I bought my SNES yesterday
>>
>>4139376
The luma still has interference from the composite chroma, and even in s-video, the separate chroma channel is fairly low resolution. By drawing luma from the composite signal, you're taking away the biggest advantage s-video has over composite in the first place (pristine luma). You'd be better off just using composite cables at that point, because at least your set's comb filter (which is board bypassed by s-video connection) might be able to clean things up a bit.
>>
>>4139450
You can get them for like $2 on Amazon
Just avoid the onea with a composite video out.
>>
>>4139452

Thanks for the explanation. I just rigged up my cheap s video cables so that instead of one connection, it now consists of two rca jacks. Now I have three rca leads, composite, Luna and chroma. I'm going to test this thing in my commodore 1804 monitor. I'm gonna try composite + chroma and 'luma' + chroma and look for a difference
>>
>>4139452
this

An S-Video connection being fed a Composite signal is actually worse than normal Composite since the TV's comb filter isn't sorting the signal out, resulting in the checker boarding effect.
>>
>>4139632
>>4139452

Do you guys have an explanations on why a Wii with component would look worse on LCD tvs than a crt? I'm not talking resolution, black levels and input lag and the lag. I mean noise levels. Via component, I never see noise on a crt, but on an LCD, there are always 45 degree those lines and some other random visual noise on dark screens, usually more on solid colours.
>>
>>4139712
The noise is probably just more noticeable due to LCDs being a sample-and-hold display. Since CRTs blank between refreshes, your eyes are less susceptible to blur and other artifacts. It could also be temporal dithering/frame rate control, depending on the model of LCD you're using, particularly if it's mostly noticeable in darker areas.
>>
>>4139606
I used to use a 1804, very nice little monitor. That's a good idea, the separate luma and chroma jacks will help you figure out any issues quickly.
>>
>>4140012

Just did it and apparently fake s video can be done like this. The picture had a checkerboard pattern over it and looked generally shittier. I'll post pics tomorow when I charge my old android phone since when I snap pictures with my SE there's always diagonal black bars in the image when taking a picture of CRTs.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.