[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Saturn Switching PSU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Sega-Saturn-020-Power-Supply.jpg (447KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-020-Power-Supply.jpg
447KB, 1600x1200px
Are there any Switching PSUs available for the Saturn? The Saturn has internal PSUs, and I want to run a Japanese Saturn on voltages that are around double what it's supposed to run on, without fucking around with the hack solution of step-down converters. Installing a European PSU is a working solution, but I don't want to cannibalize existing hardware, and I might move around a bit in the coming years, including to countries that have voltages around 100. Are there any form of aftermarket PSUs that can be installed?
>>
I'd be interested to bookmark anything you find. Plan on having a similar problem one day soon.
>>
You can try mod your PSU with mini-ITX power supply like that guy:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/dreamcast-psu-using-picopsu/
But it probably woud cost more than gutting old and busted Saturn.
>>
>>4130907
There's also this mod anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8jTPoiizbQ
>>
>>4130907
Any form that can be installed, yes. Specifically designed as a drop in replacement, no.

>>4131271
That's a clusterfuck but in fairness he admits that. The concept is fine though. Pico PSUs are overpriced because they're meme toys. Still cheaper than gutting another console. You could build your own for a couple bucks. You could even hack one together out of a few modules if you can't into PCBs.
>>
>>4130907
>the hack solution of step-down converters
what do you think the PSU is doing in the first place.

anyhow, it would be pretty simple to use a scope to figure out what sort of signal you need and build your own PSU
>>
>>4131375
>That's a clusterfuck but in fairness he admits that.

I disagree. It's a very clean looking mod, assuming you have the time and patience to desolder the existing PCB and re-purpose it.

It would be cool if someone designed a PCB in eagle or openCAD to be a drop-in replacement for the dreamcast/saturn PSU capable of accepting multiple AC voltages, and used off the shelf components.
>>
>>4131490
>It would be cool if someone designed a PCB in eagle or openCAD to be a drop-in replacement for the dreamcast/saturn PSU capable of accepting multiple AC voltages, and used off the shelf components.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dreampsu-making-your-dreamcast-cool-again-power#/

You could possible get the guy to make a Saturn version, though it could be problematic since Saturns use something like 6 different PSU pinouts internally.
>>
>>4131490
>i disagree with the guy who did the mod and said he "rather foolishly thought I would re-use the circuit board also"
k

Designing that PCB is easy enough but there's not much point. Assembly would be a pain in the ass and people who need the device couldn't do it. So you'd end up getting it done by a prototyping place and the price would be silly for the 2 people who actually did it.

Going with a DC-DC solution has a lot of advantages. The "expensive", failure prone, heat generating, certification requiring, high voltage part can be bought off the shelf. It sits outside the console. It's easily replaced. It can be used for multiple devices.

>>4131508
>6 different PSU pinouts
You can deal with that using jumpers or a harness. I'd go with a harness as kiddos will invariably fuck up jumpers. What your kickstarter lad should have done is make a 12/9/5/3.3 PSU and designed the board so it could fit securely in both consoles. Then use a different harness depending on the pinout the console needs. Or he could have just used a $15 pico and and built a ATX-DC harness for a couple bucks. That's what I did and I didn't even need a kickstarter. For an extra buck I could add a module to give me 9v as well and rewire the harness for any given saturn.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.