[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Console Doom Games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

File: 1472390057337.jpg (58KB, 517x494px) Image search: [Google]
1472390057337.jpg
58KB, 517x494px
I know it's the words of a heathen, but what's the best console version of Doom? (PC is the best version, the ports on the PS3/Xbox are good too)

My votes go to the following:
>Doom Custom PlayStation Edition
>Doom 64
>>
>>4130735
32x for that dank music.
>>
Atari jaguar unironically. Just make sure you play the ost yourself cause no music unfortunately.
>>
>>4130735
The only ones worth taking a look are PSX Doom and Doom 64, due to their unique cool stuff. The others are all just watered down ports of the PC version.
>>
pic would work better with Ian Curtis, Morrissey would complain about being friendzoned by Peach and such
>>
>>4131926
>Morrissey would complain about being friendzoned by Peach and such
I don't know if you have listened to his music but Morrissey is gay as fuck. Basically all of his post Smiths stuff is about how much he wants to fuck Johnny Marr.
>>
>>4131993
you might want to get over your hate, then
>>
File: psx.jpg (3MB, 1784x6512px) Image search: [Google]
psx.jpg
3MB, 1784x6512px
>>4132041
>>
I had doom one and two on 360 and gba (green blood) both were ported surprisingly well
>>
>>4133253
>>4133308
revisionists make me sick
>>
File: psx4life.jpg (3MB, 1400x4525px) Image search: [Google]
psx4life.jpg
3MB, 1400x4525px
>>4134164
>>
Nintendo ds
>>
>>4130735
From a technical perspective, the Saturn Doom is impressive in that it renders everything entirely in software (since Carmack was an autist and refused to let Jim Bagley do it in hardware because of Saturn's affine quadratic texture mapping). It runs like shit, of course, but that it runs at all and looks just like the PC version for the most part is pretty incredible.
>>
Can you fucking retards give it a break and get back on topic?

I don't mind the PlayStation port of Doom. There's also a decent port that came with Doom 3 BFG Edition.

The GBA one is awful (Doom 2 is a little better) but it's pretty entertaining to play I must say.
>>
>>4134317
The BFG ports on the 360 were the XBLA versions which are fantastic. The standalone PS3 collection is also awesome, and has pretty much all the officially released levels.
>>
>>4134334
Do they have the two Wolfenstein maps, though? Those are usually cut from re-releases.
>>
>>4131278
What about the Japanese Saturn and Jaguar versions?
>>
>>4134340
They do, if I recall correctly, I haven't played them in awhile.
>>
>>4134250
>trolling this hard
>>
>>4134345
>Japanese Saturn Doom
It STILL runs on a lower framerate than the PSX version, and lacks the colored lighting

>Jaguar Doom
No music, missing enemies and maps, doesn't have original content to justify a playthrough
>>
File: post-27510-0-29262800-1304562589.jpg (885KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
post-27510-0-29262800-1304562589.jpg
885KB, 1920x1080px
The GBA ports were pretty good for playing Doom on the go.

The first one was based on the Jag port, so it is missing a few levels and secrets, and the music is a little out of order.

The Doom II port, however, was awesome and didn't cut anything. It's one-to-one with the PC
Revenants can get fucked though.
>>
>>4134696
Isn't DOOM II on the GBA on a whole different engine though? At least DOOM is actually DOOM.
>>
>>4134696
I agree, they're great, but not comparable with the pc version because of the lack of advanced lighting and shadows
>>
File: GPDOOM2.jpg (443KB, 1358x846px) Image search: [Google]
GPDOOM2.jpg
443KB, 1358x846px
GPDoom ver10 on the GP32 Blu at 156mhz.

Runs really well, 320X240 resolution. Plays the PC wads so easily the best portable version.
>>
>>4135869
Yes, Doom II runs in a new engine that was designed for the GBA.
I don't see why that's a problem though because it's 99% identical, with the benefit of much better performance.
>>
>>4132058
This is great, never seen it before. Couldn't agree more. We all used to call it Psx back in the day.
>>
File: IMG_2165.png (547KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2165.png
547KB, 1136x640px
Ass tier
snes, jaguar Saturn
Stomach tier
32x
Smile tier
Psx, n64
>>
>>4136471
Having played through both in their entirety two days ago, there is no way in hell the 32X version is better than the Saturn version. 32X has a slightly better framerate and doesn't have the weird alterations to game speed, but it's at the expense of shit lighting, tiny active screen area, shit tons of missing levels, missing enemies, missing animation, the inability to turn while strafing, and the inability to use the BFG without a cheat. It's arguably the second worst port of Doom, exceeding only the 3DO version which is literally unplayable at screen sizes larger than a postage stamp.
>>
>>4136464
I missed the drama. Whats all this in response to?
>>
>>4132058
I'll never understand why some people try to deny this. I guess it is mostly coming from people who weren't alive in the days of the PlayStation, so in their world of Wikipedia research the PSX was actually just the name of the later PS2 media thing, and they can't handle those three letters being used for two different things especially when one seems to be logically "wrong?"
>>
>>4134654
1) Yes, it does run slower than the PS1 version, yet still much better than the 3DO, SNES, and 32X versions in nearly every way. Plus no levels are missing. Though they could have added a little more color on to the lighting there, so yeah.

2) True, enemies are missing her and there,. Still not as devoid of levels as the 32X release and better than the rushed 3DO port.
>no music
There is some music still there, but only in between stages(such as when you reach the end of a stage)
>>
File: IMG_4939.gif (39KB, 293x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4939.gif
39KB, 293x200px
>>4136484
Fags arguing whether or not psx was used as a term to describe the PlayStation 1 (which it was, I was 15 when it came out and plenty of people called it that)
So anon fag posts a image showing literally tons of sources used that nickname for the system. Other anon still isn't convinced, so results to name calling
Sighss
>>
>>4136471
>>4136482
That's not to say the Saturn version is good, mind you. It still has the sped up weapon fire rate, issues with z-fighting, craptastic sound, etc. But if you run it in mono (which you should, because stereo doesn't work right), the frame rate is mostly comparable to the 32X version despite having much better graphics and a full active frame.

This is based off the Japanese Saturn release, which is rumoured to run better than the US release, but I haven't seen any convincing evidence of that. Maybe I'll burn a copy of the US disc later and post my findings.
>>
>>4136508
I could understand. I just turned 22 today, so I was def not around for publications and whatnot in the PS1 era, even if it was my first home console. I didnt know aboutthe psx nickname until I started to emulate. Any reason why it was called that though, and not just the Playstation? when did people start calling it the psx? sorry for being uneducated.
>>
File: IMG_4919.jpg (76KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4919.jpg
76KB, 500x667px
>>4136482
Were you on drugs? Look at these videos
32x doom
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl-0zsM_za4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPJ9fcVTaGg Saturn doom

Also some reading material

The Saturn version was widely noted for being a rushed port with a low frame rate and lacked several features from the PlayStation version. This affects the game's controls, as the Marine's reaction time is lessened when the game is slower (it will take longer for a controller command to register). The conversion removed all of the colored lighting and echoed sound effects as well, and the sound effects are at a slightly slower and lower register. In addition, the animated fire sky that was featured in some levels was replaced with the cityscape that was featured in levels 12-20 of the PC version of Doom II. In an interesting twist, the various monsters throughout the game move and attack slower than other ports, and the player can attack faster. The end-of-game Cast of Characters sequence only runs through the monsters once before skipping back to the title screen. Many of the ambient music tracks were removed as well, causing them to repeat more often as the player progressed through the levels. Some of these missing tracks are still on the disc in the Redbook audio. As well, the fireball burst sound effect is not present, and is instead replaced with the rocket explosion sound. And although available in the European and Japanese versions, the Deathmatch and Cooperative multiplayer modes are not present at all in the North American version.

The information on the back of the box also contained numerous errors. The game promises "60 levels of brutal, bloody, pulse-pounding action", when 59 are actually present.

Lol anon give mme ur drugs
>>
>>4136535
Japanese Saturn has some slight improvements.
>>
File: IMG_4687.jpg (34KB, 720x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4687.jpg
34KB, 720x543px
>>4136515
It was just a "cool" thing to do.
You had to believe to understand the 90s.
But to make it easier for you to understand, you know how a lot of people didn't say Nintendo 64, they said "N64"
Well lots of people, instead of saying "PlayStation" said psx or ps1
People who weren't around at the time sperg out and go
>acktually, that wuz the name of the Japanese PlayStation 2 idiots!
And I just laugh at them.
Just look at the magazine covers from the era or the copypasta maybe forty posts above.
>>
>>4136535
>I know you played through both games on the original hardware, but your experience is invalidated by these random YouTube videos
k
>>
File: IMG_4793.jpg (45KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4793.jpg
45KB, 220x220px
>>4136539
I stand by my tier list.
Also
>Jap Saturn doom
In July 1997, the game was released in Japan. This build was a little more optimized than the previous North American and European releases and hence was a little bit faster, though still slower than the Sony PlayStation version. It also features the multiplayer from the European version. Some of the music tracks were also switched in this release to closer match the track order of the PlayStation version. Like the North American and European versions, the packaging contained a few errors, such as the retention of the "Best Doom yet" quote which appeared on the PlayStation version.
>>
>>4136515
>>4136545
>PS1
No, just PSX. There was only one Playstation back then, you underage faggots. The PS1 designation only came around at the release of the PSone (that tiny white Playstation), to differentiate from the then upcoming PS2.
>>
File: IMG_4516.png (966KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4516.png
966KB, 640x1136px
>>4136553
I had owned both games and played them quite extensively.
I just can't understand your opinion at all. I provided the videos so you wouldn't be able to rebuke me
I can't argue with your opinion
But if you honestly think the frame rate is better, it's not. Your on drugs
The 32x port is great, especially considering the limitations of the hardware.
>>
>>4136576
During the era of the PlayStation, many gamers referred to it as the ps1 when the little one was released and with the ps2 looming, the common name became ps1
Sorry for leaving out that detail you autistic faggot
>>
>>4136471
>>4136508
>>4136535
>>4136545
>>4136556
>>4136578
>phone poster
Opinion disregarded. Die, you cancer.
>>
>>4136578
>phoneposter
That explains a lot.
Also, how the hell did you read "the 32X has a slightly better framerate" and get "the Saturn version has a better framerate" from that? I specifically noted the Saturn's framerate is worse, but it's also drawing way the hell more on-screen than the 32X (better lighting, higher resolution, more sprites, larger active frame).
>>
>>4136441
The whole feel is off. Doomguy has no momentum, weapon behavior is different. It really doesn't work
>>
>>4134340
They do, but they're censored.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.