[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Rockman & Forte?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: R&F.jpg (390KB, 1589x2184px) Image search: [Google]
R&F.jpg
390KB, 1589x2184px
What are your thoughts on Rockman & Forte?
>>
>>4129248
I picked this up recently, my god it's difficult. Beating the intro stage is a minor accomplishment. Otherwise the graphics and vaporwave music are great. My only actual complaint is that I wish there was button remapping like in the X games. Dashing wish A sucks.
>>
File: hd9rKUJ.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hd9rKUJ.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>4129302
>vaporwave music
>>
>>4129248
great game!
>>
It's my favorite Mega Man game. The GBA port is really bad, though.
>>
File: 98.jpg (2MB, 2424x3504px) Image search: [Google]
98.jpg
2MB, 2424x3504px
I absolutely love the game.
It's very underlooked and rarely even mentionned even in MM generals, probably because it's not a "numbered" titlte and the original version never made it out of Japan and it came out late in the console lifespan.

The good thing about it is that it is a refreshing take on the classic MM formula. The level and enemy design philosophy of this game is completely different from other MM games. The musics too are completely different, offering a more let back moody experience.

Also, after 5,6,7 and 8, which were all more or less easy games, this one offers a welcome challenge.
A few moments are total BS though, like impossible not to get the hit unless you know beforehand, but once you learn those you can quickly get over it.

It was also the first MM game to offer full playthrough with another character that plays drastically differently.

The other day I did a no shop playthrough as MM. It was surpringsly not THAT hard once you know the game. I started doing the same as Bass but stopped after the initial 8 stages. Should pick it up again. In a no shop play I except Wily to be harder as Bass since the charge shot was such help.

Protip: stay away from the Wonderswan version. Both WS MM games are really not that good.
>>
>>4129248
Got a lot of cool ideas and a lot of bad ones. Even for Mega Man the game is mercilessly difficult, perhaps too much for its own good and the different stage progression method doesn't really do the game any favors.

Still, Bass himself is really neat to play, even if the bosses become a pain in the ass as him. The vast amount of shop items to obtain is also pretty neat too, seeing as past games tended to boil down to just hoarding supplies instead of evolving your character.

It was a novel effort and I'm glad it exists, even if I wouldn't call it my favorite by any stretch.
>>
File: 99.jpg (2MB, 2389x3501px) Image search: [Google]
99.jpg
2MB, 2389x3501px
>>4129379
The shop was done in 7 and 8 too before that, and in 8 it had unique upgrades similar to what MM&B does

Pretty sure the first MM game with a shop is MMV on Game Boy anyway
>>
>>4129248

I have mixed feelings on it. I played it around 15 years ago when I was in my hardcore Megaman phase and liked it quite a bit despite the punishing difficulty. I just coincidentally replayed it a couple days ago and completed it as both Rockman and Forte. I went from still liking it, to hating it, to gaining an appreciation for it.

The game has a lot of interesting ideas, but it's level design seriously suffers from being split between two characters with completely different play styles. Forte's X style dash, dash jump, and double jump are insane. He has such an easy time with the levels it feels like the game was designed around him and they just put in some pity platforms and slide-under-here gaps for Rockman and called it a day. I actually think Rockman is more fun because Forte can just avoid 90% of the level design with dash jumps.

Despite Forte being superior mobility wise, I think they did a good job balancing it. Rockman definitely has a much harder time navigating the levels, but the rock buster is better than the forte buster. When I played Forte I ended up using special weapons almost exclusively past the first level. Aiming in different directions is not that useful compared to charge shots. More importantly, Rockman gets some better items that Forte misses out on, and the good items unlock in the shop earlier for him as well.

The weapons in the game are all insanely fun and well designed. It might actually be the best weapon spread in a classic series game, although I think I prefer 9's weapons slightly more. That might just be because 9 is a better game.

They really should have split King Stage 2 into multiple stages though. It's ridiculous to have 3 different bosses, the last of which has 3 separate phases all into a single grueling stage.
>>
Only ever played the GBA port, and it felt like I couldn't see enough of the stage to avoid anything dangerous, so I wrote it off. SNES version any good?
>>
>>4129248

Love Bass's design. His sprite work in Rockman and Forte is still some of the best/coolest looking I've seen.
>>
My favorite MM game and one of my favorite games of all time. Plays, looks, and sounds great.
>>4129302
Are you playing the shitty gba port? The game is a bit tougher then other MM games but nothing insane.
>>4130395
Much better, gba port is shit.
>>
>>4130395
SNES doesn't have enemies attacking you from off screen, and dashing as Bass is easier since you don't need to double-tap.
>>
File: 1467444193873.jpg (354KB, 770x789px) Image search: [Google]
1467444193873.jpg
354KB, 770x789px
>>4129359
>>4129393
8 & Bass had an awesome art style.
>>
File: 368.jpg (2MB, 2456x3504px) Image search: [Google]
368.jpg
2MB, 2456x3504px
>>4130387
> He has such an easy time with the levels it feels like the game was designed around him

I feel the opposite way. I think that on the contrary, the fact that Bass can skip so much of the jumps, traps, and render so many level design parts pointless shows that the game was designed for MM for the most part; and it just "happens" that Bass' moves render them easily. And then, here and there they threw in parts only Bass can gain access to.

How many CDs did you guys get ? I think I got 94/100, and out of the last few, only one I know where it is (the one at the end of ground man stage which is insanely hard to get with rush search).
>>
>>4129248
Sad, two friends who lost their glory
>>
>>4129248
I don't get why they wouldn't include this game in the next Legacy Collection.
>>
king stage 2 is bullshit. that stupid fucking tank and jet aren't even hard to kill the 50th time you do it.
>>
>>4129393
>You will never get to connect with Magic Man
>>
>>4132921
Because then they'd have to put effort into it when it comes to translation, because it would be SNES or bust.

Legacy collections are supposed to be as less of an effort as possible, like the VC.
>>
>>4129248
Seems cool on paper, but in practice it's one of the weakest Rockman games. The stages are obnoxious as Rockman, but he's literally unbeatable in boss fights. Oh yeah and his slow buster is painful to use until you get the quick charge upgrade. As Forte the stages are much nicer, but then you have to plink away 1 HP at a time against the bosses with the Forte buster. At least his game turns out alright once you get the 2 damage buster and/or a few special weapons.

Stages are generally too slow paced, even as Forte. Boss fights are generally good if you overlook the issues brought on by two characters and the upgrade shopping.
>>
>>4134182
Weaker than 7 and 8? How's that even possible?
>>
>>4134194
I didn't say it was the absolute weakest one.
>>
>>4134182
That's the point though. Megaman struggles on stages and breezes through the bosses, bass is the opposite. Both have strengths and weaknesses which is fun.

I think it's the best game in the series personally.
>>
>>4134239
Well then they made a shitty game on purpose!

Anyway the problem is less the difficulty and more how slow and tedius Rockman's stages/Forte's bosses are.
>>
>>4134194
Top pleb.
4 is the only game that comes close to being as good as 7 and 8
>>
File: 1378741073291.png (135KB, 584x573px) Image search: [Google]
1378741073291.png
135KB, 584x573px
literally and unironically the Dark Souls of Megaman

game is hard as balls, and not always in a good way.
For example, King tank 2 is absolutely bullshit as Mega Man.

>what's that? I destroyed the only platform you could land on? What's that? You don't have a double jump or a free flight mode so you can still save yourself? too bad, get fukt :^)

seriously, Bass' double jump is stage breaking already, but Treble Boost on top of that is just unfair. I'm amazed they didn't think to give Megaman Rush Adapter, or some kind of high jump mod he could get. Game is really unbalanced in that sense.

it's like they figured "ok, so Megaman will bust his balls on the stages, but wipe the floor with bosses, while Bass will break every stage, but then spend hours on bosses because he only fires basic lemons versus bosses with invulnerability periods that render his rapidfire useless" but never realized that while an ok tradeoff on paper, in practice that shit ain't fun
>>
>>4136418
The flying tank isn't that hard. The hands coming to destroy the platforms are so slow you always have time to predict and position accordingly. Also, you can destroy them before they get to destroy the platforms.

I swear all the complains I heard itt sound exagerated to me, like, it's not even that long to kill bosses with Bass.

For me, the only really bs moments are when it's impossible not to get hit (or even die) in a stage unless you know about what's a head beforehand, which happens a few times.

The game does things differently and that's exactly what makes it stand apart from 5/6/7/8
>>
>>4136445
id say 7 and 8 do plenty to stand out themselves, 8 especially, but thats just me
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.