[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES/Famicom possible Component YPbPr mod?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Nintendo-Famicom-Disk-System.jpg (3MB, 2920x2700px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-Famicom-Disk-System.jpg
3MB, 2920x2700px
I just read in Wikipedia that the color space of the NES/Famicom is in YPbPr rather than the usual RGB, which is why the RGB mod kit for the NES/Famicom requires some extra parts and work compared to most other RGB mods for other consoles.

Now, is a Component YPbPr mod for the NES/Famicom possible for having better colors?
If it is possible, maybe a Component YPbPr mod for the NES/Famicom would yield better results and have better colors compared to an RGB mod, since RGB mods require emulator color palettes to convert the YPbPr color palette to RGB, and the NES/Famicom's native color palette is in YPbPr.
We might have the best of both worlds in our hands when we have a Component YPbPr mod for the NES/Famicom; the more accurate colors of Composite (albeit in better quality) with no need for emulator color palettes along with the better sharpness and clarity of RGB.

Has anyone attempted to make a Component YPbPr mod for the NES/Famicom which takes the NES/Famicom's color palette as is but outputs it in a better quality than Composite/RF?

>inb4 Tim Worthington's NESRGB mod has a Component YPbPr option
The NESRGB's Component YPbPr output literally takes the RGB emulator color palettes and converts is to Component YPbPr, it doesn't use the console's native YPbPr color palette.

I may be wrong and I may not understand how this works so please explain this to me.
Sorry in advance if I am wrong.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_palettes#NES
>>
If the NES actually did use YPbPr (YUV) internally, such a conversion to RGB would be extremely simple math and shouldn't require any sort of extra work.

It doesn't though, rather YIQ, the color space NTSC is built around and is generated as composite outright. When people say the NES doesn't actually have a set palette, they're right, since the colors you get are entirely dependent on the exact formula used by the decoder in your TV to generate RGB values from the composite signal the NES is feeding it. If every TV used the exact same formula (and you didn't have to worry about phase shifting), you might be able to come up with a single palette, but that isn't the case.

The various "emulator palettes" are best guess approximations of what one could expect to get from [insert generic composite decoder here]; I don't actually had an RGB modded NES, but NakedArthur's Wavebeam palette is based on a tweaked Sony decoder specifically(I believe he may even have put out said decoder palette as it's own thing, but I could be wrong).
>>
>>4129083
Wavebeam is inspired by both FBX HW and Sony CXA2075
>>
>>4129051
>I may not understand
Yup
>>
>>4129051
Nope, the PPU outputs NTSC composite directly. At no point does it work with any other colorspace.

>>4129083
Wavebeam is basically an artistic interpretation, not based on any real decoder. It does look pretty darn good, though.
>>
>>4129083
>If the NES actually did use YPbPr (YUV) internally, such a conversion to RGB would be extremely simple math and shouldn't require any sort of extra work.
PC-FX chip uses component internally, yet there is still no component or RGB mods for the system.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.