[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on clearing "the backlog"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 1494173473935.jpg (38KB, 343x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494173473935.jpg
38KB, 343x600px
Anyone else have tons of games that you've barely played but want to play? Ive been trying to fix this problem by sticking to only one game at a time and dedicating weeks to it until i beat it. Does this lead to frustration/mental illness? Professional reviewers have to play games all day and complete them, what methods do they use for motivation?
>>
>>4128094
They get payed
>>
>>4128094
Give up

play games you like, for fun
>>
>>4128094
Don't know if this will work for you, but I fixed it for myself by only playing new games via real carts on real physical hardware.

Having to get up and manually switch games puts a real barrier in front of 'just play play something else' urges. Also, having to buy or trade for games added a sense of justification to play it. And if I don't like it or am unwilling to really play it, I sell or trade it away.
>>
>>4128134
Thanks. Do you think this also affects downloaded games on console? Ive bought a shit ton of games on virtual console.
>>
>>4128142
> Do you think this also affects downloaded games on console?
It was still an issue for me with downloaded games, both Steam and Virtual Console.

I still play digital games, but usually just replaying.
>>
>>4128094
do you have your backlog written down in some format?
what really helped me is basically having 2 lists:
(A)-games i need to beat
(B)-games i want to play (even ones ive already beaten and multiplayer games)

pick from both options whenever so your backlog wont feel like a chore.
but option (A) is great when you're bored and don't know what to do.
>>
>>4128123
This. I gave up trying to finish my backlog long ago and am happier for it.
>>
Just dont
Get a real hobby
>>
>>4128094
I have hundreds of games I'd like to play but know I'll never have time to. Thinking that's a problem is a mental illness in itself.
>>
>>4128094
>2017
>how do I get motivated to play video games
What is this world coming to.
If you're on 4chan, chances are you spend a ton of time just aimlessly browsing the web, so that's where most of your time goes. I would recommend cutting the internet out of your life as much as possible, use it only for essential things. You'll have tons more time for video games and whatever else you want to do. I feel great on the days I manage to go internet-free, but as you can tell by the fact that I'm here, it's very addicting.
>>
>>4129754
100% this.
>>
>>4128094
my backlog on gamefaqs got huge so fast that i stopped caring about playing games from it, i usually play whatever i stumble upon. sometimes i make a list of games i want to revisit to finish/beat on hard and then delete it.
>>
>>4128120
>payed
>>
>>4128094
Just play what you want to play. You shouldn't feel obligated to complete a game. If you feel like playing the game at that point in time, play it. If you don't, find something else to play or do. This isn't something that should be straining.
>>
>>4128094
I started a youtube channel with the express purposes of beating all my physical collection, and eventually my steam library as well. I don't do lets plays, just a video review of each game.

I do a 1 video a week upload, so I -have- to play something, even if I don't feel like it. Sometimes you have to force it. I suffered through Pokemon Red the other day just because I needed to clear something.

I know how hard it is to stare at all your games and want to play nothing. It's hard, but I think if you track it some how (like a spreadsheet, or a youtube channel), and are able to actually tick off something as completed, it really helps.
>>
Your backlog shouldn't be seen as a list of chores to get through (unless you actually are a professional game reviewer). It should simply be a useful list to reference whenever you want to play something, so you don't have to throw up another recommendation thread on /vr/.
>>
>>4128094
>Anyone else have tons of games that you've barely played but want to play?
Thousands.
>Does this lead to frustration/mental illness?
Iunno, you're you, you tell me what it does to you. I don't even know your name.

>Professional reviewers have to play games all day and complete them, what methods do they use for motivation?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You actually believe that? You don't think they just fuck some bitch and give the game a good rating and take a complimentary month supply of dorritos and mountain dew verification cans?
>>
>>4129818
>Mountain Dew verification cans
Does anyone have that "drink verification can to continue" copypasta?
>>
>>4129797
Have you stopped to consider how pathological this is? The same advice could go for some other people in the thread.

These are video games we're talking about. It's not your job, it's not self-improvement, it's not even at the level of household chores. They're toys. Entertainment. If playing video games is that damn painful for you, then you clearly would rather be doing other things with your time. Why don't you just go do those other things?
>>
>>4129897
Its video games or shitposting.

I -want- to play these games on a fundamental level. It's just hard to get started. Most games I start I enjoy, and can consistently continue. It's just a matter of starting.
>>
>>4128094
>Professional reviewers have to play games all day and complete them, what methods do they use for motivation?
They play the first hour of the game then write the review.
>>
>>4129797
channel name?
>>
>>4129914
Honestly in some, probably most, cases that's all you need really. Not every game is going to wildly different in the first hour and usually that's going to give up how most of the game is anyway. There are games that are exceptions to that of course but usually most games just increase/decrease or extend the challenge of what you've already been doing with scenery changes if that.
>>
>>4128094
1. list your backlog
2. keep your computer turned off
3. give yourself at least 2 hours inside a game
4. give prefrence to physical shit, emulation ruins backlog spring cleaning
5. associate each game to some situation... I play ys whenever I'm in my gf's and she's asleep, plow through my psx list when at home(just beat mmx4 today, already in the mid of silent bomber), and old jrpgs on my phone when other hardware is inaccessible(toilet, subway, bus)
6. If you have someone to play with, try separating co-ops to play with the person.... the sense that you can't turn the console off because the other person might be havign fun is good.
>>
>>4128094
>and complete them

Wow, the naiveté of youth. These days we're lucky if they even dedicate a full hour to the game before shitting out a review. The score is just based on how big the publisher's paycheck is anyway.
>>
>>4129897
I don't know about other people or that guy. Not everyone is the same. There's a time and a place to balance games but they aren't "just toys". They're what I do, they're what I've always done. I've basically never not played video games, before I could even form proper memories I played them. Video games are an integral part of who I am as a person. I've spent more time with video games than with anything or anyone else in my entire life. There are other things I could get into but nothing would ever truly replace video games for me.

It's sort of like how your your family are just people to basically everyone on earth, but they're your family. Video games are my family, if they aren't part of your family that's fine, but just because other people don't feel the same way about it doesn't make it less important to me.
>>
>>4131035
>These days we're lucky if they even dedicate a full hour to the game before shitting out a review.
Meh, a lot of reviews back in the days were terrible as well.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.