[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PAL optimised SNES games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 51a4mvdXlsL.jpg (14KB, 191x130px) Image search: [Google]
51a4mvdXlsL.jpg
14KB, 191x130px
Let me see if I've got this straight;
There were certain SNES games for which the developer put in some extra effort to 'optimise' their game for the PAL region, so that it wasn't simply a slower NTSC version.

Does this mean if a game was PAL optimised, it was equally as good as an NTSC version?

Is there more input lag at 50Hz compared to 60Hz, or is that unrelated?

Is there any kind of comprehensive list of which games were/weren't optimised?
>>
File: IMG_4227.jpg (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4227.jpg
180KB, 1920x1080px
>>
I don't know how SNES, for PS1 games onwards, even if the game's speed is "optimized", the framerate is still worse.

Also in some cases there can be some timing differences on some things even if the game is optimized.

>Is there any kind of comprehensive list of which games were/weren't optimised?

Sadly not. But for a start, any game MADE by devs from PAL countries (Europe, Australia) are designed for 50hz.

Fun fact: SMB1 on NES, the PAL version runs about 10% faster than the NTSC versions. and is 50% more fun because of it
>>
>>4127001
lol man
>>
>>4127004
play the pal SMB on a ntsc nes and it will go even faster
>>
>>4127004
>But for a start, any game MADE by devs from PAL countries (Europe, Australia) are designed for 50hz
okay, so the DKC trilogy should be fine; what about input lag? Is that affected by the 50Hz/60Hz difference?
>>
The real problem is the letterboxing. PAL is 576 lines to NTSC's 480 but most conversions were like "lol too much work to resize" and so all games have black space on the top and bottom, even games like Super Mario World which used extra lines isn't "full frame".

>>4127004
>I don't know how SNES, for PS1 games onwards, even if the game's speed is "optimized", the framerate is still worse

Worse as in less frames per second yes, but this was an advantage in some rare cases where it would cause less slowdown on more intensive games since it had 10 less interlaced frames to show.

>>4127015
Apart from DKC3, that runs like shit in any format due to RARE trying to squeeze out as much graphical fidelity without any care for performance
>>
>>4127004
>Sadly not. But for a start, any game MADE by devs from PAL countries

That's a common misconception anon. All DEVS and debbugers I've seen run on 60hz NTSC. Therefore, even PAL based developers had 60hz/NTSC into mind.
>>
>>4127296
That's ridiculous, but let's say there are cases where this apply, the devs being European/Australian would make sure their games play perfectly in their area. I have yet to see a single European game that's slowed down in its PAL version compared to its NTSC version.
>>
>>4127296
I know for a fact that there are separate PAL and NTSC DTL-H debuggers for all Sony consoles. It seems fucking insane to suggest that other console manufacturers didn't do the same thing.

Also, the soundtrack cadence on NTSC ports of Robocop vs The Terminator (Mega Drive) is clearly too fast so at least Dave Perry/Virgin was developing primarily with PAL in mind.
>>
>>4127015
Not to any significant extent, no. The disadvantage of 50Hz vs 60Hz is much smaller than the resolution boost that PAL gets with 576 lines vs 480 lines. If PAL uses the full resolution it's better.

Most PAL games are speed optimized, mostly only crappy 3rd party title parties just rand the game at 5/6s of the speed.
>>
>>4127318
I'm talking about console DEVkits obviously. And yes since the devs worked with the NTSC standard, the games were developed as such from the first place.
As about the second part you mention, MOST AL based companies (pay attention to most), had their games made for the NTSC protocol with very few exception. I'm not aware about the differences between the PAL/NTSC version of RvsT, but other major companies, such as Ocean programmed their games with NTSC as their standard. Turricans for the SNES are a prime example of that.
Apart them, there's a great exception to those. Some major French developers did an impressive job with their early 8/16bit console games, which run equally good on both regions. But they're among the rare exceptions.
>>4127356
I stand partially correct. I should had mentioned that I was talking about early 8/16bit devkits/debbugers. Later era ones, such as the PS1 ones were dedicated to each region and so forth.
In any case, even PS1 PAL based games were inferior for the most part. I grew up playing the PAL versions of MediEvil for the PS1, and the NTSC counterparts run and clearly smoother. So its not a big secret that the PAL made games were the meme of their era.
>>
>>4127181
PAL version of games have less in-game slowdown due to the PAL consoles having more time between frames.

The NTSC SNES CPU is clocked just over 20% faster than its PAL counterpart, but PAL systems have the equivalent of 88 free lines between frames to work with compared to 38 with NTSC. Adjusted for the different CPU speed, it's more like 78 vs 46.
>>
>>4127473
>The NTSC SNES CPU is clocked just over 20% faster than its PAL counterpart,

eh? The SNES is 3.58 MHz, the N64 is 93.75 MHz, PAL consoles CPUs aren't slower. That's why as you point out if a game is slower on the PAL version, at least it suffers from less slow-down.
>>
>>4127378
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but doesn't SNES output at 240 lines, or 224 lines or something like that? Why would 576 lines boost the resolution over 480 if it's upscaling the same 240p res?
>>
File: 1500263924559.jpg (27KB, 504x415px) Image search: [Google]
1500263924559.jpg
27KB, 504x415px
>>4127776
Don't gotta worry about slowdown if the game's already slow, right?
>>
>>4128252
Apparently NTSC generally only shows 224 as some are cut-off, PAL can in theory show 240.
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11932

>>4128279
Nice meme but yeah, if the game is slower less irregular slowdown and choppiness which might be good for some games.
>>
>>4127001
Had a laugh.
>>
>>4128504
>in theory
In reality most games were letterboxed
>>
>>4127473
Can confirm that PAL Super G'nG has a LOT less slowdown than NTSC and plays a lot smoother because of it.
>>
Why has PAL shit become expensive lately? I figured if anything it would go down in value as people wised up to wanting 60Hz, CSync etc
>>
>>4126985
>Does this mean if a game was PAL optimised, it was equally as good as an NTSC version?
Yes.
>Is there more input lag at 50Hz compared to 60Hz
No.
>Is there any kind of comprehensive list of which games were/weren't optimised?
Maybe... i doubt it. I don't think many if any were optimised back then.
Just play the NTSC versions of SNES games.
>>
>>4127296

This isn't direct evidence against this, but the Time Trax theme music on the Genesis is at the standard house music tempo on PAL, but is obviously too fast on NTSC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-Efsbqnkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5t0YMTtNb4
>>
>>4131104
Thanks, I think though that I'll stick to pal versions of the dkc trilogy; I got triggered when I booted the burger version an saw Diddy holding a controller with purple buttons
>>
Depends on the game and how they optimised it
>>
>>4131138
speaking of which, is it still possible to find pal roms for these games? I actually own the cartridges legit, but kind find the roms for download
>>
>>4127004
>I don't know how SNES, for PS1 games onwards, even if the game's speed is "optimized", the framerate is still worse.

No, the other way around, the framerate is usually more stable, since the console runs at the same speed but has to output 17.5% less frames. So it has more processing power.
>>
>>4131253
I'm sure there are PAL versions out there, they usually mark them with an (E) for Europe.

I could even make some with my ROM dumper if I could be bothered
>>
Holy shit does this mean the DKC games were always supposed to be slightly slower than I've been used to all my life?
>>
>>4131253
The No-Intro sets have everything. The PAL roms are generally the English language ones for games that also had separate releases in German or French for example.
>>
>>4131426
Pretty sure Rare would have made sure to optimise them for 60hz, so don't panic

I hadn't heard of these no-intro sets. Can you pick specific titles or do you have to download the entire set?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.