[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you DOSBOX?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: DOSBOX.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DOSBOX.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Anyone try out shaders on those newer DOSBOX forks? I don't have the space for an actual CRT, so it's my best solution for now.

Also, recommend me your favourite DOS game I guess.
>>
>>4126948
Thexder
Firehawk: Thexder the Second Encounter
Zeliard
M1 Tank Platoon
F-15 Strike Eagle 2
Silpheed
Covert Action
Sword of the Samurai
Quest for Glory 1
>>
>>4126948
>I don't have the space for an actual CRT
I don't understand this excuse.
>>
>>4127512
Me neither, especially if we're talking about a monitor.
>>
>>4126948
syndicate
>>
>>4127512
>>4127516
some modern computer desks are actually TOO NARROW to fit a CRT monitor on it.

You usually need 20+" of space, and when you put a modern desk against the wall, they often only have like 14"-16" of surface space for the monitor.

My desk is like this, but I have a side cart with my 486 desktop (the horizontal kind, not a tower), and it's sturdy enough to hold the monitor too.
>>
Quarantine
>>
File: 1487690347725.jpg (3MB, 3500x3843px) Image search: [Google]
1487690347725.jpg
3MB, 3500x3843px
here's some in infographic form
>>
>>4126948
Daggerfall
It came from the desert
Impossible mission 2
Frontier elite
Alone in the dark
Liero
Sky roads
>>
>>4126948
>Scanlines
>Bends
The best CRT monitors were flat and had no obvious scanlines unless you putting your autism face 2 centimeters from the screen. You fucktart. Stay in your /crt/ containment with the console /tv fags.
>>
>>4127529
>Hardwarefagging hard enough to have an actual 486 desktop.
Don't do this, people. Just emulate. I promise it's not as inaccurate or laggy as you think.
>>
>>4126948
DOS games on a CRT don't look like that. Certainly not VGA games.

Intense screen-filtering like that might be appropriate when emulating much older or monochrome systems. Like if you were going to play a TRS-80 game on a modern flatscreen you'd probably want to introduce some scanlines just to be see the image/forest through the pixels/trees.
>>
>>4127838
If you're not underage you should have a 486 or at least a Pentium just lying around somewhere. What computer were you using before you got Windows XP for the first time? Even if it's a Pentium III you would be able to use it for many DOS games.
>>
>>4127849
My first computer was a Pentium 75 you fucking kook. DOSbox provides a much better experience.
>>
>>4127493
>>4127565
>>4127684
How can I tell which of these games (if any) support simultaneous multiplayer on the same machine?
Other than the infinite list of puzzle games and tetris clones, I know of Sega ports like Altered Beast and Crack Down, and some freeware games like Liero or bomberman clones.

Is there anything that's more in the vein of "true DOS games" that I can play with my friend whose eyes I'm trying to open?
>>
>>4127857
DOSBox is more convenient since you can create shortcuts that "just werk" without you having to fiddle with settings or command lines, but I find that I just get immediately distracted if I try to do something like that on my main computer with a million other windows open.
Running a vintage computer or two in another room gives me a more immersive feeling.

Can't see anything wrong with having both options at least.
>>
>>4127869
When I get a bigger house I might consider making an autism museum. At least for light gun games. In the mean time we're in a golden age of getting close-enough or better (library access, loading, overclocking, save states, changing hardware configurations instantly) experiences for nearly every platform on one machine and it only gets better. I just wonder why people eschew that for a few milliseconds here and a few pixels there. Shit, I was emulating on the aforementioned Pentium 75. As well as one could then, anyway.
>>
>>4127849
>implying i didn't go from ME to Vista
>>
>>4127907
>I just wonder why people eschew that for a few milliseconds here and a few pixels there.
That's not what it's about. It's the same reason people like to collect records or buy merch. Some people will insist that vinyl sounds better than FLAC or that jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but that's just making an excuse to justify something they are feeling on a more emotional level.
It feels good to own a physical manifestation of a thing you like, and to preserve it or protect it or display it or whatever you want to do. Some people also enjoy the hunt of tracking these things down, the challenge of maintaining or repairing them, and the ritual of setting them up and getting them working.

DOSBox (and emulators generally) let you skip all of that, but personally I also like to have the experience of coaxing an ancient machine far beyond its life expectancy into doing what I want.
>>
OP here.
>>4127512
Literally no space at the moment. I'm in between houses.
>>4127757
>>4127848
Still looks better to me having an approximation of a crt than nothing. This look would probably suit text adventures more, though wolf3d looks mostly how I remember it on my old shitbox.
>>4127930
>>4127907
Both of you have valid points, honestly. For a lot of people there is no option but to emulate, and I'm happy the tech is improving to the point where it's pretty indistinguishable.
>>
>>4127937
im actually an IT professional now. probably from all of my rage
>>
Why ain't nobody mentioned Tyrian in the thread, c'mon
>>
>>4127858
maybe do your own research
>>
>>4128209
>How can I tell
In other words
>In what manner can I research this

I know I can look up every game individually, but I'm sure there's a better way. There must be a database or something that contains this information, and if anyone knows about it they are probably here.
>>
>>4127956
>This look would probably suit text adventures more

PC Text adventures would have looked distorted and unreadable if you plugged your PC/GPU into an average SD-res CRT TV back in the day.

PC Monitors(at least from 90s onwards) displayed at least 480p which made most games display crisp and with clear pixels... much like emulation. NO SCANLINES. It's retarded to put TV filters on a PC game
>>
>>4127849
>486 or at least a Pentium
I'm "27 forever" and the last 486 I had died in 1997 when a classmate gave me a 1.44MB diskette full of viruses.

Get lost, tryhard hipster.
>>
>>4128163
>Tyrian
Contarian /vr/ troopers hate fun shooters that are too "easy".
>>
File: crt blend.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
crt blend.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>4128436
Those scanlines do stick out a bit. I've been tweaking it a bit. Any tips?
>>
File: crt geom curved.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
crt geom curved.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>4128436
Another Carmen shot.
>>
File: 01.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>4126948
Variable Geo custom the final of the classic variable geo.

Dosbox may run the colors correctly, but so far I haven't been able to run it as it did back in 99'
>>
>>4126948
The Legend of Kyrandia m8. I'm guessing you've played Monkey Island already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c5QrnYYk3Y
>>
>>4128686
That looks a lot better than the OP pic at least. The bowing out effect is way too much though. A vintage CRT monitor has some curve to it, sure, but it doesn't look that extreme. It is at least reminiscent of looking at gray-on-blue text on an old monitor though.

>>4128690
That one looks horrible again. The distortion is so much that the image and text of the game look visibly warped, and the pitch of the aperture-grille effect doesn't match the size of the pixels in the game at all.
>>
>>4129307
Sweet. I'll try anything by Westwood.
>>4129369
Yeah, it's tricky getting the details right, but I feel like it's improving somewhat.
>>
>>4130263
Are you using different settings depending on whether the game is VGA or EGA (etc., etc.)?
>>
>>4129318
I WAS 12 ... over 20 years ago

>>4128453
(You). My bro trashed it anyway.

And you can try travelling back in time to 1997 when most of Asia had dialup or no interwebz and definitely no e-commerce shop that would ship there cheap, and laptop HDDs were a lot more expensive, and somehow find a HDD that would fit a 1994 latop. IF you had a time machine OR somehow mindport an adult brain into a teenager, that would be real koolaid , man.

Check your privileges.
>>
>>4127565
>tfw old enough to be familiar with floppy discs
>>
File: 26864383_9159752deb.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
26864383_9159752deb.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
>>4131296
Aww yush, we should really go back, literally 10000% more satisfying to use then a cd/dvd.
>when it clicks in
fucking magic.
>>
>>4131296
I used floppy disks to install DOS on an old computer with a corrupted hard drive just last week. A number of my old floppies had gone bad though, kept getting corrupt files until I figured out which disks were the problem and stopped using them.
>>
Im hoarding cheap old monitors Im up to 20 now but all of them are flat (no crts) do you guys think a crt is worth the space it takes and do the old flat monitors show things differently?
>>
>>4131296
You don't have to be that old to remember floppies. I was still using floppies to take files back and forth to school in 2005.
>>
>>4132138
>tff 2005 was 25 years ago
>>
>>4127512
I could easily stick a 15/20' crt where my monitor is and it would uae less space then my 24' monitor
>>
>>4131807
The click man. I know that click. Mmmmm
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.