[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atari ST

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: atarist.jpg (16KB, 300x204px) Image search: [Google]
atarist.jpg
16KB, 300x204px
I know it's fun to bag on the Amiga now and then but, unlike that platform, is there a *single* exclusive or superior version of note on this piece of shit?
>>
No, but it's really easy to write pretty much any game you want to floppy disks on a PC.
>>
Atari went full Sega and made too many platforms, I can't fucking tell them apart.
>>
>>4126323
I couldn't even get this thing to emulate. I forgot which game I was interested.
>>
File: 1081742-s_towers2_3[1].jpg (38KB, 640x433px) Image search: [Google]
1081742-s_towers2_3[1].jpg
38KB, 640x433px
Falcon > Jaguar
But really that's not saying much
>>
>>4126342
I was looking into Minter's back catalog and saw some ST ports in there. Got Hatari running, but it all felt like wasted autism, really. Created this thread promptly after. At least Atari 8bit has Bill Williams games like Alley Cat and Necromancer.
>>
>>4126328
I've always thought they sucked outside of their Atari Games/arcade division from the 80s.
>>
>>4126323
cubase
>>
>>4126323

Amiga or ST, I wish I had one back then. Just a sad blog note, sorry folks.
>>
>>4126323
No. But some fanboi will pretend there is.
>>
>>4126981
this is one that my father has. Its a a 1040STf model.
>>
>>4127285
*There is
>>
>>4126323

Pac-Land
Tempest
MIDI Maze

Ties:
Master Blazer
Maniac Mansion
Turrican 2: the Final Fight
Deja Vu
Ghostbusers 2
>>
>>4127304
>Inferior versions of arcade games you can play in MAME.
>Inferior version if Turrican 2
>Implying MIDImaze has any value when DOOM exists

Care to try again?
>>
>>4126323
Even the 8-bit line had a good exclusive. I'm not sure about the 16-bit line but it had quite the extensive library. Atari Computers are good. It's just the Amiga is in a league of it's own.
>>
>>4127285
That's cool. We somehow completely skipped the 16-bit generation of computers. We went from 8-bit straight to x86. So the 16-bit computer lines are completly new to me. I bought my self a few Amigas. Two 500's and two 1200's.

I have an Atari 600XL and I should have a 800XL on the way with both Disk Drives. I have a Mega ST but I don't have the keyboard for it. Don't feel like spending a hundred dollars on a keyboard and I've been toying around the idea of buying the keyboard controller and "building" my own keyboard for it.

Any one have experience with Flash Carts that use Compact Flash memory or SD cards with the Atari 8-bit line? Or the serial bus board to emulate the drives on another computer?
>>
>>4127346
>Implying you know of MIDImaze beyond the name.

>conveniently leaving out Tempest, Ghostbusters 2, Deja Vu, and Master Blazer.
>>
>>4127370
Yeah I'm sure it was nice to have for a time there and fairly competitive. Was just digging for some gems worth emulating it for. What's nice about emulating odd systems you didn't grow up with is that you'll be surprised by the unique graphics and sound now and then, along with finding new things to play. Sadly, the ST seems like a shittier Amiga.
>>
>>4127435
In some ways, yea. That's why I'm investing a bit more into the 8-bit line. That and emulating the 8-bit line is kind of shitty.

I've already downloaded it's entire library So I want to find a way to use that on the real hardware. Also might be nice to have something to test out my Atari monitors that have been lying dormant since I've dragged them home from a New York Craigslist hunt years ago.
>>
>>4127427
Midimaze is not obscure you dumb cunt, it had ports to normie systems. And I get it. It has early LAN play. It's just rudimentary and primitive to the point of being obsolete. Why would you play this now? Even Robotron has its own shit going and awesome aesthetics/sound despite pretenders even to this daWhy would you play ST Tempest instead of the arcade? Dejavu was better on Mac and has a proper port to Windows now.
Can't speak for Ghostbusters 2, but yeah, considering the pedigree and licensed titles of the day sure it's a real banger, friend. So yeah, maybe Master Blazer is good, but eh... considering your taste and judgment it's probably shit too.
>>
>>4127441
Sperg'd together the atari800 core in Retroarch and it's working well for me now. Definitely an interesting platform and might be worth playing on real hardware, though.
>>
>>4126323
>this piece of shit
It's actually a really good machine for music production, way better at that than the amiga (some MSX models are better than the amiga for that task too, notably the Yamaha-made ones). Take an ST, Notator or Cubase and an e-magic Unitor (for the SMPTE capabilities) and you have a machine capable of driving a whole home studio that could include both older analog synthesizers and brand new MIDI expanders like those integra or xs motif.
Anyway, gamewise the definitive version of captain blood is the ST one.
>>
>>4127621
>It's actually a really good machine for music production, way better at that than the amiga
You can't say that, when the Amiga supported MIDI too and had a better build in music chip (but the build in audio has nothing to do with your argument, I know).
Not to mention, if you're going to argue MIDI software, then Amiga can easily run all Atari ST music programs and use the MIDI input/output over the parallel port MIDI adapter, this was done back in the day too.
>>
>>4127847
>when amiga supported MIDI too
With additional hardware.
>had a better built in music chip
Not viable with actual music production, especially with the low res, heabily aliased samples easily found back in the late 80s/early 90s. The only computers with a soundchip viable for this kind of use are Yamaha's CX5 and CX7 music computers that uses actual synthesizer module chips (as well as the sharp X1 turbo and X68000 that have compatible chips).
>then Amiga can easily run all Atari ST music programs
With a high resolution mode only usable with a flicker fixer (while the ST's high-res monitor was actually cheaper) and either an emulator (with a performance hit -- go emulate a pentium 90-based PC on a pentium 75 one) or a modified software (still less performant than on the ST). The Mega ST has a blitter so rendering performances isn't any better on the Amiga. The Amiga had it's own sequencers, but the biggest support was for the ST with Steinberg's whole music software suite, the emagic's Unitor family of hardware expansions, synth patch librarian and programming softwares like FM android.
What made the ST such a good music production machine isn't the built-in MIDI ports only, but also the support from a whole chunk of the musical industry. The amiga did receive some support, but it's in no way comparable. Like said earlier, Yamaha MSX models are still better for actual music production.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.