[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ggg/ - Game Genie General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: gamegenie.png (100KB, 700x479px) Image search: [Google]
gamegenie.png
100KB, 700x479px
What are/were some of your favorite codes to use on retro games?

Have you made any of your own GG/PAR codes before?

My favorite as a kid was giving myself more hammer bros suits in SMB3, and I just discovered the other day that a code could add slide to MM1/MM2 in Wily Wars, so I use that now.

Here's a site with a full list of codes:
http://gamehacking.org
>>
File: gitgud.png (85KB, 306x220px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
85KB, 306x220px
I have these two by heart, which is sad because they are for SMW.
Truth be told, kid me didn't know spin jump was so fucking broken in that game, I never used it.
Cut twenty years and see youtubes of people spin jumping off boos and thwomps and saws.
Fuck me, that game is easy mode now.
No adults that played the game ever knew that shit either, it seemed, because I saw a lot of people play it and never saw how invincible spin jump is.

Anyway, CBED-6DDF and C222-D4DD.

I DID hack the shit out of game genie codes on the SNES though.
If you substitute iirc E or F at the end of some codes it does crazy stuff. Sim City as I recall you could do that and it would make it so you make a dollar for every square of park you build, so if I got short I could just build park over park in my donut-city-block centers, and could thus keep taxes stomped down.
>>
>>4125950
Infinite Health for Batman Forever The Arcade Game on the Playstation 1 via the Game Shark. That game is frustrating to beat without that code.
>>
>Have you made any of your own GG/PAR codes before?

I used to have a game genie for the old brick game boy and there was no other game I used it more on than pokemon. At some point after the game's release a code surfaced that let you catch mew near cerulean. Using google right quick, I think it was 151-91A-7FC.

Since mew was the 151st pokemon and the code started with 151, I incorrectly assumed the first set of three numbers determined the pokemon the code called. Through sheer dumb coincidence, it turned out I was sorta' right. Mew's index value was 15, so I found changing the first two numbers would change what pokemon you got.

After that, I thought "Well, if one of these controls the pokemon, another value must control where you find them". I guessed that if I changed the next set, 91A, to a different value, it would make them appear on a different map. Once again through dumb luck I was right and somehow managed to figure out how to get the selected pokemon to take squirtle's place in oak's lab.

I remember after finding it I spent all day starting a new game and seeing what starting pokemon I could get with it, until eventually my file erased itself. The wild encounter code was also the first time I encountered Missingno., and when I found it I was amazed and thought I was the first person to find a new pokemon.
>>
>>4127041
151-91A-7FC is correct, it's literally burned into my brain.
>>
>>4125950
I sometimes use Game Genie codes that are buggy to screw wit hthe games on emulator for the lulz, sometimes.
>>
>>4125950
fucking game genie. why the fuck did they feel the need to scramble the codes to obscure the fact the codes are really address-byte pairs? it made systematic code searching and creation impossible.

gameshark will always be remembered as the superior solution. it was a million times more interesting to explore a game's memory than be "mystified" by a random string of letters.
>>
>>4127165
>Gameshark
>not action replay.
>>
File: breath-of-fire-iii-usa-v1-1.jpg (87KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
breath-of-fire-iii-usa-v1-1.jpg
87KB, 600x600px
Best is the code that allows rotating the map in bof3 a full 360 degrees. Way better than the default.

Next would be moon jumping in Mario 3.
>>
>>4127213
Ain't they the same shit?
>>
ATBT-AA32
RG2T-C6XA
RG2T-C6XC
Makes the special stage rotation in Sonic 1 smooth (no idea why they took it out of the final version)
>>
>>4127249
Daaaamn, my mind is blown.
>>
>>4127249
I really need to go through the disassembly and try to figure out how they programmed the special stage in Sonic 1. It's always blown my mind. The only way I can think to do it involves 4 multiplications and 4 additions per stage object, which seems too expensive, but then again, I'm used to processors w/o multiply instructions.
>>
Here's a few I made for Gimmick!

Jump infinitely: IEOEIPLA

Walk through walls to the right:
OZENVPSO

Walk through walls to the left:
OXKYXASO

In some rare cases you can get stuck in walls (mostly boundaries of the level). Use these two codes to prevent that in some cases:
OXEUAYSE
OXUTPLSE

Games gives you max speed instead of making your speed 0 when stopping to the right. It's only purpose is glitching the game especially together with walking through walls:
YNOYLTAE

Games gives you max speed instead of making your speed 0 when stopping to the left. It's only purpose is glitching the game especially together with walking through walls:
EEONYTAA
>>
>>4127419
Which console do those work on?
>>
>>4127429
The console the game was made for.
Famicom and NES. These are for the japanese version.
>>
>>4127432
Game Genie also got to the Game Doy, Game Gear, Mega Drive, and SNES.
>>
>>4127439
*Game Boy
>>
>enter random codes in gamegenie as a kid
>freaky things happen in the games
It was like creepypastas but real. Horror movies never scared me as a kid but some game genie codes did. Like, I remember on Final Fantasy one time, every single person and message said "Nothing Here." and the music would play a high pitched note at times. The battle music would go silent after a few notes and sonetimes I would just die after my turn.
>>
>>4127439
Gimmick! wasn't on any of those consoles...
>>
>>4127462
>It was like creepypastas but real.
I'm >>4127041 When testing some of the values in the starter codes I managed to come across some real creepy pasta type shit. With the regular encounter code you can trigger wild trainer battles, but if you take the same values and use them to change the starter pokemon you gets some weird results.

Usually if you just leave the code on it would crash the game, but if you had the code on, then switched the code off quickly with the button on the game genie just after inspecting the starter's ball, it wouldn't crash and would show something glitchy. Usually it was just a fucked up rydon, but one instance gave me a spooky magnemite.

When ever it would show up in the game, like in battle or on the stats screen, the game would freeze momentarily. Then the magnemite would appear, make some distorted cry, and trigger what I think was an actual distorted vision of lavender town's music, of all things. It also had no name in the name field. Possibly didn't have any moves either.
>>
>>4127248
Yes. No idea as to why they are called gamesharks in some areas..
>>
>>4127653
Maybe someone noticed action replay is.a stupid name that has nothing to do with the product but it was already established in one region. It could also be a trademark issue.
>>
>>4125950
I've literally never used a game genie. I just edited the ROMs until copiers got sophisticated enough to handle gold finger codes. I've made a lot of codes though. Once the encoding was cracked I could easily convert any of my ROM edits into GG codes so kiddos could use them

>>4127165
Because they're greedy cunts who wanted to sell codes for jew gold. Fuck em.
>>
SMB 1.
POEISA
Mario touches enemies and does not die. Instead, the last power up that appeared onscreen is awarded.
Touch an enemy, and it's like you touched a mushroom/fire flower EVERY TIME.
But if you made a star man appear on screen, every enemy makes you invincible with star man effects.
Same goes for 1up mushrooms.

The only things that can actually kill you (other than falling in pits) are hammers, and fire sticks.

This code is what originally allowed me to properly explore worlds 5 through 8.
>>
gamegenie and then gameshark hacking is why i taught myself to translate hexadecimal and binary while in elementary school.

you could do really weird stuff with the NES but by the time of the gameboy advance era and the hacking devices had really taken off. hacking pokemon firered and tactics ogre: the knight of lodis was really interesting

i remember having pokemon that used trainer sprites and recruiting non-playable characters into my team in knight of lodis.

was always fun to break the games.
>>
>>4129430
Seems like it also makes the flag stop part way down the pole depending on where you hit it.
>>
>>4127249
It feels like they are a lot easier to beat with smoother rotation.
>>
>>4125950
Is there an easier way to find Game Genie codes using a rom from games that never released officially? Like a code generator of some sort?
>>
>>4130583
Use an emulator with a debugger or code search.
>>
>>4131263
ok, thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>4127165
super nintendo gg used hexadecimal
>>
>>4130583
All the Game Genie does is modify individual bytes in a game's ROM. All you have to do is figure out what bytes you want to modify and then use a program such as this one http://games.technoplaza.net/ggencoder/qt/ to make the code
>>
>>4132765
>All you have to do
I'm not saying it's particularly hard but I'm pretty sure you've never done it.
>>
>>4132909
I did it to make the smooth special stage rotation code (some guy on sonic retro made an ips patch, I converted it to Game Genie).
>>
>>4131950
the numerals may have been restricted to hex, but it is not immediately obvious how a gg code maps to an address-data pair. the number is encoded. i don't know what the encoding is, and it may be simple, but it's a hassle
>>
>>4132991
Fair enough. If someone else has already worked it out punching a couple numbers into a program is easy. The figuring out is not quite as easy.
>>
>>4133043
You can also use a ROM corrupter to locate where things are stored in the ROM, it's how I found that if you edit the byte located at C8002 in the USA Link to the Past ROM you get fun music shit like this http://tindeck.com/listen/rfbn
>>
File: Screenshot_20170719-224725.png (120KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170719-224725.png
120KB, 768x1024px
I didn't know this code back in the day, but lately I've found that the one in DW4 that allows you to shut off the AI and control all your Chapter 5 characters very gratifying. Also I used to use ATVATGSL, I'm ashamed I know that one from memory.
>>
>>4132765
>All the Game Genie does is modify individual bytes in a game's ROM

how does it modify Read Only Memory???? i thought u could only ...read that.
>>
>>4125950
Found out back then that you could look at multiple/infinite lives or weapon affecting codes, change whatever letter wasn't constant, and get new results. Mostly for Ninja Kid.
>>
My only major Game Genie memory: We used to use our Game Genie with certain games to make them work better, with no codes or anything. Our Game Genie had really tight grippies I guess and it was able to get better contacts than the console's gripper things could.
>>
>>4133785
It modifies the value seen on the bus by the system not the actual chip.
>>
Anyone who have an infinite lives code that works for Probotector? The equivalent code for Contra doesn't work, if I remember correctly it makes the game crash as soon as you fire, and I like playing as the robots instead of the Rambo-clones.
>>
>>4127819
Datel markets their modern Action Replay under that name in the US too now though.
>>
>>4135659
try ATEIXZSL please
>>
>>4135659
>>4135883
>there's an official Contra ROM hack I had never heard of
Well I'll be damned. Can only imagine all the crazy exclusive stuff Europe got.
>>
>>4125950
As a kid I used to do the jump codes in the Mario games so I could jump over whole levels. That shit was fun as fuck.
>>
>>4125950
Not excatly GG but...
>(forever ago)
>Zsnes
>Cybernator
>Found the address for the Vulcan's level
>Set it to one level over the max
>Hilariously strong but there's no sprites for the projectiles and it depletes in a short burst, plus can't be reloaded.
It did work if you froze the "rounds in the magazine" value.
Not entirely sure if it would work on any other emu or it was a ZSNES quirk. Probably should try sometime on SNES9x since I think that one has built in cheat search (cheat engine does work for emus that don't have, though...).
>>
I think I managed to reproduce it.
Shreds everything in a a few bursts... I guess it's a debug/testing leftover.
>>
File: cheat.png (7KB, 399x379px) Image search: [Google]
cheat.png
7KB, 399x379px
>>
>>4139459
These aren't GG codes, are they?
>>
>>4141150
Nope, memory addresses.
First google result turns out this though
http://www.d.umn.edu/~bold0070/projects/game_genie_codes/javascript_game_genie_encoders-decoders.html#snes
So they might be usable with a gg
>>
>>4141518
Nope. You need to find the code that sets those values to make a GG code.
>>
? who wants created simple gg nes codes like this one >>4135659
haha........... /rhg/ here hahahahahah LOLE
>>
>>4125950
There was a code for TMNT2 where enemies die faster with less hits. I used the guide in the book and changed a couple of letters, thus creating a 1-hit kill code for ALL enemies, including bosses. I blew my own mind with that shit.
>>
PSX Gameshark, Gran Turismo 2. All licenses and 50 million dollars. Skip the BS and get right to racing in career mode.
>>
>>4135659
Google :

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/Contra

There is 99% chance those will work for Probotector too

so
>use FCEU X
>open Hex Editor
>go to RAM (should be the default first window anyway)
>right click on address 0032 and freeze it, or manually edit the value
>>
I mostly just use codes to make games less grindy (exp boosters) or to get things that I usually can't (fuck Nintendo events, especially back when you had to get a plane ticket to Japan to attend them).

I know it isn't retro enough for this board, but I'd like to find a code for Yu-Gi-Oh GX Spirit Caller on the DS to use Endless Night mode in the post-game so I can duel Kagemaru more than four times an in-game week (my stall/burn deck takes a lot of turns to kill him so I only have time do duel twice after sunset).
>>
I used it a lot on Shining Force 2. There are some late-game weapons that are basically down to chance to get, and the item you have to sacrifice to get them are very limited. So instead of doing endless resets, it's a lot simpler to just hack the weapon you want onto the character you want. Also, things like hacking movement range up makes battles go a lot faster.
>>
Yes.

EYSEYAEI: Game Genie code for River City Ransom, to make it so you're unable to hurt the other player in 2-player mode.

And here are some Game Shark codes for the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (these are untested with the non-DX version)
0101a6c5 ~ Disables that annoying message that pops up when you bump into a heavy object without the power bracelet.
010071d4 ~ Disables the Guardian Acorn. It will never drop.
010015d4 ~ Disables the Piece of Power.
>>
>>4143404
>EYSEYAEI: Game Genie code for River City Ransom, to make it so you're unable to hurt the other player in 2-player mode.
This is nice, I've been playing Kunio-Kun for this purpose, sucks that I couldn't read the Japanese.
>>
>>4127239
Got a video of the rotation code?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.