[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Mother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: download.jpg (3KB, 272x186px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 272x186px
What made these games special for you? Im always interested because its such a polarizing fanbase with so many different meanings to people. Which is the best and why is it Mother 3?
>>
I couldn't get into mother 3 at all, it felt way too much like a fan game and the graphics put me off. I was a huge earthbound fan but the whole fandom is really exhausting.

What made it special to me was the psi animations and just the overall environments
>>
>>4124683
Earthbound was my first in the series and I loved it. Hadnt played a game that resonated quite as strongly. After playing Mother 3 though, Earthbound just seems like it lacks substance outside of its satire.
>>
>>4124683
I agree, I liked 2 but mother 3 is pretty shitty.
Also, not retro -> REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>4124690
Theres no other board to discuss Mother games. God knows /v/ wont have it.
>>
mother 3 was the only one I really liked because of the battle system and plot
the first one was an unimpressive DW clone on a system filled with DW clones
M2 was decent, the instant wins against weak opponents and odometer HP bar make it stand out a bit, but I still see nothing deserving of the hype that surrounds this game

all three games have great OSTs though
>>
>>4124683
Well said and agreed.

Mother 3 just didn't have the same mystery that 1 and 2 had. Everything in the story was just handed over to you leaving no blanks to fill in.
>>
File: 1482893765952.jpg (17KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
1482893765952.jpg
17KB, 500x327px
i like all three mother games and think they're all pretty good. i like the different aesthetic style, as well as the neat rolling counter system and sound battles in 3. lot of cool animations in battle along with creative enemies.

i just think they're all pretty good.
>>
>>4124709
You cant deny that Earthbound felt very gamey and aimless like the first one though. Mother 3 was narratively strong and improved on the mechanics Earthbound made relevant after Mother 1 kind of shit itself.
>>
File: 14890292075_e9450c4ccf_b.jpg (693KB, 915x1024px) Image search: [Google]
14890292075_e9450c4ccf_b.jpg
693KB, 915x1024px
>>4124674
To me the series just has such a sincerity to it that little else, it even just game, achieve. I know gameplay is just your simple DQ fare, as a DQ fan I like that honestly, but as much as people like to spout otherwise games are more then their gameplay. Gameplay is the most important feature, this is always true, but it is nice when other things have thought and care as well. With the mother series nothing is really like them in tone, not even all these recent clones that try to be. I love all three games a lot, it's my favorite game series in all honesty, and honestly I will just admit that it's because mother feels genuinely optimistic and humble.r
>>4124683
>>4124709
You have to understand that mother 3 came from a different place then the first two. With 3 Itoi didn't want to just do the "apple cheek american boy travels america / the world with friends and wackiness ensures". He has even said he's aware mother 3 would probably disappoint fans of M1 and M2 but he still did it and honestly I love that.
>>
>>4124738
Well put brother.
>>
>>4124674
2>3>1
>>
File: BdAFbErCEAAdI6y.png (501KB, 599x564px) Image search: [Google]
BdAFbErCEAAdI6y.png
501KB, 599x564px
>>4124674
F
>>
>>4124674
1>2>3

I hate the non-linearity and characters of 3.
>>
>>4124683
I really blame the translation for that.

I read moonrunes and I played the translation. Tomato is not Itoi, I'll tell you that much.
>>
>>4124724

>mother 1
>shit itself

I'll shit on you, dude.
>>
>>4125986
Not him, but Mother/EarthBound Beginnings/WhateverTheFuckYouWantToCallItAsLongAsItIsn'tEB:ZeroSeriouslyThatShitIsAutistic really could've used a lot more play testing and balancing. I enjoyed it, but it was still a chore. I'd love a trilogy remake on the Switch; it'd justify releasing Mother 3 and also fix all the nagging annoyances in the first two.
>>
>>4124724
>gamey

Its a fucking game, retard.
>>
>>4126029
But would they fix the nagging issues with 3?
>>
>>4126050
but three is shit
>>
>>4126060
i don't understand what you're implying here
>>
2>1>3
>>
>>4126064
that its objectively the worst mother game
dosnt mean its a bad game, just the worst out of the three
>>
>>4126072
okay
that's great and all

how does that agree or disagree with what i was saying

you said
>but
like you were arguing something
>>
>>4126080
i misunderstood you comment.
i have the tism
>>
>>4126089
it's okay, you're on the right board for having tism
>>
>>4126050
What nagging issues did you have with 3? Besides the GBA sound chip, of course. Note that I still haven't gone into New Pork City's tower btw and refuse to do so until I learn moonrunes or Nintendo releases an official translation. Why? Fuck if I know.
>>
>>4126397
Well honestly you might never go in then. I'm happy nintendo will never touch it, they are untrustworthy. Tomato and his team did a great job on the fan translation, if you're waiting on a shitty translation just to say "it's official though" then I think you're just a idiot.
>>
>>4124674
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sad7n5EJJfA
>>
>>4126408
You missed "or until I learn moonrunes."
Also I guess I'm the only one who believes that Nintendo might NOT do a terrible job. Yes there's a chance they will, but who's to say that they'll 100% GAURANTEED ruin it? Everyone on the internet acts as if it's an inevitability, while I'm here thinking THAT is stretching too much.
>>
File: triforce heroes.jpg (59KB, 439x259px) Image search: [Google]
triforce heroes.jpg
59KB, 439x259px
>>4126439
We're all jaded and they have done shitty jobs on multiple occasions. We had a fucking doge joke in a zelda game, they just aren't trustworthy.
>>
Mother 3 is kana only, you need to be pretty confident in your moon skills to read it
>>
Unique atmosphere,
I still replay mother 1 its a very fun hardcore dungeon crawler
>>
>>4126518
While I dont replay 2 and 3 because they are way too easy, so story/presentation alone are not enough for me

>>4126447
Arent they all 3 kana only
>>
>>4126520
>Arent they all 3 kana only
Yep.
>>
>>4126440
Yes but was it an important, mainline Zelda? No, it was a spinoff- one that revolved around trend-themed humor, no less. Come on, they've had over a decade of fans breathing down their necks about it, they know we want them to take it seriously, so why would they even consider doing a botch localization? I think everyone's just focusing on the bad localizations they've done in the past because they stick out more, as opposed to all the good localizations they've had. You never notice something when it's done right, but you do notice it when it's gone wrong. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to be a little more optimistic
>>
>>4126543
The magypsies are going to be problematic no matter what they do. Its a shitstorm waiting to happen that no company would want.
Keep them the same and trannies and potentially mass media get triggered as fuck, change them and the notoriously devoted/autistic western fanbase would throw the biggest shitfit in the history of videogames
They cant win
>>
>>4126570
I'd say piss off the trannies, they are just a vocal minority and most don't even buy/play games.
>>
>>4126570
>>4126573
Itoi has said he meant to show them in a positive light, in a interview he said "I have magypsy friends myself".
>>
>>4124674
after finishing mother 3, earthbound and mother 1 seems kinda shitty now.
>>
>>4126659
The only thing Mother 3 does better than 1/2 is the battle engine.
>>
File: 1357699897865.jpg (5KB, 251x247px) Image search: [Google]
1357699897865.jpg
5KB, 251x247px
I didn't like earthbound at first. I gave it a try until threed, and then dropped it for other vidyas

And then people were talking about Mother 3 being translated, so i had to pick up earthbound again and play it all the way. Moonside kept me going for more. I even played Mother 1 for the sake of it

And then mother 3, i loved the plot and gameplay of this one. especially due to the first three chapters
>>
I really like the vocal album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSshQu9rQLc&index=2&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LECyz7qtsaI&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-mj20Xmf4w&index=5&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jT50gxC-dU&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkI26OHT6XI&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D&index=7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16npWeuPVCE&index=8&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_RF_mRZKw&index=9&list=PL682FAAA919005D2D
>>
>>4126749
I don't like it, sounds too girly. The lyrics are awesome though
You can call me pollyanna. Say I'm crazy as a loon. I believe in silver linings. And that's why I believe in you.
>>
>>4126682
And not even since in M3 there can only be 3 enemies on the battle screen at the same time
>>
>>4124674
everytime i see this fuckimg meme game
>>
>>4126570
I mean, will they really? I'd think the fans of the series already know of their existence. If any trans ppl do get triggered by it, I think it's been long enough that fans of the game will just call them out on their bullshit because "they've been there the whole time."
@4126782
And then we have this fucker
>>
File: 1399521931299.jpg (479KB, 509x595px) Image search: [Google]
1399521931299.jpg
479KB, 509x595px
>>4124674
Mother 2 is the best. 3 would've been good if they released it on N64 as planned with its fuckload of chapters and darker story. Beginnings is just too ugly and slow to get into.

The series is just so charming. Too bad we'll never get a Mother 4.
>>
I liked Mother 1 the most, especially Song part. It made more sense to sing a song that alien heard from his "mother" to make him weak than "praying".
Mother 2 had much better characters, but plot was poorly copied from Mother 1, so I didn't even start playing Mother 3.
>>
>>4124674
>What made these games special for you?
I'll be honest, for the longest time I wasn't interested on Mother games. I remember unlocking Ness on Smash 64 and thinking he was some sort of japanese mascot for the NES or the SNES, given his name.
Later on I found out about Earthbound, and when I saw a few screenshots of it, I thought it was like the Satellaview hubworld (which I emulated once), and didn't think much else about it.
Then, fast forward some years and I get into this japanese punk/new wave band called Uchoten, and they have a song I absolutely adore, called Kimi wa gan na no da.
The song was performed by Uchoten, the band, but I found out the composer of the song was a guy called Keiichi Suzuki, from a band called Moonriders (which I knew, barely, by name), and the lyrics of the song were by a guy called Shigesato Itoi.
When I searched a bit on these 2, you can figure out the rest. I ended up loving the games, played them in release order, loved them all, but probably Mother 3 the most. Mother 1 is underrated.
>>
>>4124674
>What made these games special for you?

I never got to have a good childhood because life sucks but these were cute and idyllic RPG version of childhood.

But it was also just fun like a lot of Nintendo games. The ones I grew up with are all special to me in some way or another.
>>
File: file.png (222KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
222KB, 400x299px
>>4124690
What are you talking about Mother 3 is one of the best N64 games out there. It's one of the few RPGs for that console too.

>>4124709
Yeah except the motherfucking dragon who we literally never see was never even remotely explained and it all fades to a mysterious as fuck black screen what the fuck nigger
>>
Mother 3 is the best because these games are about story and atmosphere mainly and that game was the only one of them to actually have strong characters and a cohesive plot. Also they are partly about music and Mother 3 has the best music.

With respect to gameplay they're all just normal JRPGs for the most part, and none stands out to me. I do prefer less linearity rather than more, but whatever, they're JRPGs so they're basically gonna be linear regardless.
>>
>>4127979
Hurr a game that's not even finished is the best N64, that paints a horrible picture for N64 games.
>>
>>4127979
Those models looked terrible even for the time. In a way I'm glad it never came out.
>>
>>4128336
More then anything Itoi said it was his team's lack of experience with 3d that killed the n64 version. They got the team of pokemon stadium to help but it wasn't enough.
>>
>>4128372
I also recall he said that he was glad they jumped to the GBA, as the 2D sprites are more Mother's "style," which I can respect.
>>
>>4128571
How? He played it safe instead of innovating. N64 was really lacking in the RPG department. EB64 really would've helped.
>>
>>4128575
Who gives a shit though, N64 had Ogre Battle, Hybrid Heaven, Legend of River King, Custom Robo. I'd take these creative rpgs over generic ps1 crap any day.
>>
>>4128578
Also Shiren
>>
>>4128578
>Tactical RPG
>shit
>Japan only
>Japan only

Great list.
>>
>>4128585
That's what I'm talking about I'd rather take Hybrid Heaven a generic Jrpg any day and Custom Robo fan translation should be made available to public in a couple months.
>>
>>4124674
i hate turn based rpg's the earthbound series was the only enjoyable games
>>
>>4126423

I watched all three of those, they were okay. I generally mostly agreed with him except when he was talking about difficulty. It's pretty weird to say any JRPG is too difficult. I don't know why he was fleeing from so many battles instead of grinding; if things are too hard then you grind. That is how JRPGs work. It's fine to dislike that but in that case you've got a problem with tedium, not a problem with difficulty. He didn't seem to even consider this. Oh well.

Also he said the Magypsies are "problematic" which is super lame. They are awesome, and I've been to /lgbt/ more than enough to know that trannies are monsters who don't especially deserve to be coddled anyhow. And even if there is something wrong with the Magypsies, "problematic" is a stupid way to say that when you could instead just say what you actually mean using actual sentences.
>>
>>4128575
Yes but who cares? It's not about "which system gets more games of a certain genre", it's about which systems COMPLIMENT each game best. I'm sorry, but EB64 looked like shit.
Believe it or not, quality games matter more than console wars. As long as quality games come out, who cares what exact machine gets them?
>>
>>4128872
While I don't entirely agree with your viewpoints, I wholeheartedly support the fact that the Magypsies are in no way "problematic." They're just magic fantasy characters, who cares if lgbt people get upset? In any case, the lgbt community will be more upset if they are censored, so why worry?
>>
>>4128872
>magypsies
>problematic
Leave it to western people with 1st world problems to completely misinterpret what Itoi was going for with these characters.
Fuck, one of the chapters is very explicit about it.
>>
>>4128883

Fortunately we do all (including the video guy) agree that Mother 3 is the best in the series, as can be objectively determined by all available scientific instruments as well as those not yet invented. So there is common ground after all, unless you in fact prefer a different Mother game in which case our people are doomed to remain forever at war.

>>4128887

Well it's not so much "people" in this case as it is one dude. There's a comment thread arguing with him about it and I even just saw a (claimed) MTF tranno chime in saying she liked the Magypsies. I think people in general like them.
>>
>>4128883
How the fuck are you guys this dense? Is it intentional ignorance? The LGBTQ community isn't the problem- it's the average SJW'ing mouth-breather who markets themselves as holier-than-thou with virtue-signaling and taking offense to everything. LGBTQ is a totally disorganized minority, but your average Redditor is where the problem lies, and I can absolutely understand why Nintendo doesn't want to run that risk. The reward wouldn't be worth it.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.