[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>AC adapter takes up 2 or 3 outlets on a power strip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: $_57.JPG.jpg (132KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.JPG.jpg
132KB, 1280x960px
>AC adapter takes up 2 or 3 outlets on a power strip
>>
File: yes and.jpg (13KB, 105x182px) Image search: [Google]
yes and.jpg
13KB, 105x182px
>>4124225
>>
File: jpAEg.jpg (145KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
jpAEg.jpg
145KB, 800x600px
>>4124225
Those only take up one space here in the UK.

These fuckers on the other hand...
>>
File: brick in line.jpg (71KB, 687x658px) Image search: [Google]
brick in line.jpg
71KB, 687x658px
>>4124236
Have that shit inline. There's literally no reason to have the plug itself blocking other sockets.
>>
File: multiple-cords-in-one-outlet.gif (65KB, 280x368px) Image search: [Google]
multiple-cords-in-one-outlet.gif
65KB, 280x368px
Slowpoke here
what was the point of those AC adapters?
Was it some sort of safety measure to prevent people from plugging too many things into an outlet?
>>
File: s-l225[1].jpg (8KB, 225x149px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225[1].jpg
8KB, 225x149px
>>4124509
It was a trade off of not having the power supply in the console itself. The ideal way would be pic related. The power supply is out of the console and it doesn't block other outlets.
>>
>>4124225
I have a solution for this. An extension cold, which converts those power bricks into a power strip friendly plug in. Can only plug in 2 at a time, but as long as both aren't on at the same time, it should be fine. Unless you have the 32X and Sega CD, then just plug one on 3 separate extension cords. If you're worried about the length of the cord, just tie it up, but leave enough slack so it plugs in.
>>
>>4124225
https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Extension-Lifetime-Warranty-10-PACK/dp/B00ZQVVMMS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500218768&sr=8-3&keywords=1+foot+extension+cord

OR

https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-31500-5-Grounded-Outlets-Yellow/dp/B007X5RERW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500218785&sr=8-1&keywords=power+squid

There is no whining anymore. The 1 foot extension cords are just good to have, and the Power Squids are excellent in a pinch.
>>
>>4124236
Sup /v/

When you wanna express a thought or ask a question, please do! Use your words! OP is trying to initiate a discussion, and although he could've done a better job, you put no effort into your post.
Try asking "What's wrong with that?"
>>
>>4124701
>There is no whining anymore. The 1 foot extension cords
This. You get a small extension cord, problem solved. This is how most companies deal with power bricks.
>>
Bam. 15 bucks at Walmart.
>>
>>4124736
But is it strong?
>>
>>4124750
It's ETL approved so probably.
>>
break it and tape its insides together. it works that way as well.
>>
>>4124692
Then again there are 3-in-1 custom AC adapters for a Sega tower that I'd rather use. Plugging and managing three separate power cords and plugs for one system is just unsustainable.
>>
>>4124779
True.

>>4124736
This might be better.
>>
>>4124736
This is what I use, it's perfect
>>
>>4124779
The new PSUs tend to be safer and more efficient anyway. Anything with an old linear transformer is a ticking time bomb because of the manner in which those tend to fail when they go.
>>
>>4124225
>outlets
>not playing with battery and lcd as the developer originally intended.
>>
>>4125995
Explain further?
>>
>>4124495
Its cheaper to manufacture wall warts.
>>
>>4126236
>asking a memester to explain a meme the memester doesn't memederstand
Good luck with that. Inbound 0day google guruage in 3..2..1
>>
>>4126236
A common mode of failure for a linear transformer is a short across the windings. Could be any number of causes for it. Thermal expansion/contraction shifting wires in the coils, degradation of the insulation or what have you. Or your high/low voltage isolation could simply fail in the wrong way. eg: even a properly specced Y capacitor could fail to a dead short anyway just because fuck you.
tl:dr; You can end up with mains voltage on your power adapter's output, the results of which are rather predictable.

>>4126315
>pot/kettle
>>
>>4126429
It's worth noting that a modern switched mode power supply can also suffer from transformer short circuit failure, but in this case the switching regulator stops receiving a signal and immediately breaks the circuit.
>>
>>4124509
The power brick has the choice of being inside the console/device, as a detachable in the middle of the cord length, or as the socket brick.
>>
>>4124293

I electrocuted myself trying to fit one of these into a power strip once.
>>
>>4126443
How clean is the current? I ask since that's what has been keeping me from switching out all the 7805's in my consoles with switching regulators instead.
>>
>>4124736
I have to get one of these.
>>
>>4127593
The output is PWM. You don't want to feed it directly into your logic without flattening it out first.
>>
>>4124736
Is this shit a surge protector or just an expansion?
>>
>>4126526
RIP
>>
>>4130582
It's a surge protector
>>
>>4124225
>chink a.c. adapter weights virtually nothing and is likely just an oversized standard plugin, complete with only two prongs and no ground

really glad my genesis hasn't burned down my house yet
>>
>>4124495
Inline is shit.

Always have to tape the power brick to back of entertainment center cause cord is too short for it to sit on floor.
>>
>>4124509
> what was the point of those AC adapters?
1) Heat. The power conversion generates a notable amout of heat under load, which can cause problems if closed into the console shell.
2) Replaceable. Adapters die over time, generally to capacitor dry out. Better to replace the adapter than the whole console.
3) Size. Consoles would have to be larger to have this integrated.
4) Production. Having the same console innards but a different power adaptor per region is alluring. It doesn't always work out in practice, but helps heel hardware differences simple.
>>
File: IMG_1126.jpg (45KB, 800x325px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1126.jpg
45KB, 800x325px
Why don't power conditioner makers ever make the inputs far apart enough?

But I agree, have the power brick separate from the head with the prongs.
>>
>>4131648
This. /thread
>>
>>4131674
It only really seems to be a problem in regions with tiny flimsy plugs. As a britfag the only adaptor I've had that problem with is the old school sega one.

Why did they mould fucking finger grips onto the side?
>>
>>4131479
Switching supplies are lightweight in general. You'd have to open it up and examine the circuit to determine how much of a death trap it is.
>>
>>4124702
Not him, but how exactly is that a /v/ post? Granted, I don't visit the board, so it could be the pic in general, but it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.
Not to mention, while most power strips were/are made to where if you plug in one AC adapter one or two are unusable, some were made where they were spaced out and turned 90 degrees so you could plug in and use all of them. Sega even had one. True, they weren't common, but you could still get them if you knew what you were looking for.
>>
>>4127593
The "drop in" replacements have a whole circuit in a small package. Their output is much cleaner than you'd get from the original configuration. Unfortunately they often don't drop in because they're too big. At that point you might as well just get a much less expensive buck module.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.