[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your opinion on the two best sidescrollers for the NES?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: platformers.jpg (2MB, 1280x880px) Image search: [Google]
platformers.jpg
2MB, 1280x880px
Your opinion on the two best sidescrollers for the NES?
>>
DD is amazing. It's much more than the "Mega Man knock off" some people make it to be.

Bucky O'Hare is great but... so much trial&error with death penalty it can be irritating.
>>
Those aren't Kickmaster though.
>>
>>4123137
or Shatterhand.
>>
>>4123132
>so much trial&error with death penalty
Care for some examples? I only remember the lava you had to outrun.
>>
DD is good, but it's not THAT good. It's a solid game, but mechanics are rather one-dimensional. Gets a bit stale by the second half, nothing to knock your socks off, really.
>>
>>4123126
I prefer DD. Bucky didn't really click for me. It's hard to describe the reason, it felt more like a puzzle game as each parts of the stage you have to know where to jump and shit to reach the end.
>>
>>4123182
Because it was developed by proto-Treasure, lots of their games feel overly puzzly/gimmicky.
>>
>>4123126
bucky o hare's really amazing. goddamn it's like every screen of that game is different, so much fucking gameplay variety.
>>
Bucky O'Hare is a straight up awesome game.
Never touched DD but if you're putting them in the same company I may check it out.
>>
>>4123989
DD is basically a Megaman game but with ducks.
>>
>>4123137
I tried playing kickmaster but it's way too hard for me.
For a "master" his kicks have very poor reach.
>>
>>4123126
thats not metal storm and journey to sillius
>>
>>4123126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZ8Oq2dafE

Listen to how fucking metal this game's soundtrack is mang. Those fucking riffs, goddamn. I miss when rock/metal were the biggest influences on video games music -- though admittedly a lot of shit could sound very generic and bad. Not this though. It's pure face melting riff city. Wish some talented band that does that Nintendo soundtrack shit would cover this with real instruments.
>>
>>4125224
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrG3yKhMuM
>>
The classic Konami vs Capcom argument.

To me Bucky 'O Hare is the clear winner. While DD is just a lamer version of Mega Man, BOH actually tried to do some new things and succeeded. You can tell that BOH influenced future Konami games as well, the character switching is highly reminiscent of Goemon and those diagonal rocks are identical to the last obstacle in Block B-2 of Super Castlevania IV.

What impact did DD leave? Nothing. Also the music is inferior, save the Quacker Jack stage theme which is amazing.
>>
>>4123126
Left is all around fun. Right is good but the end boss sucks eggs. Also...

>best

You didn't post Shatterhand.
>>
Personally I like the DD ost more, sure Buck O' Hare's is good, but in DD not only it's more catchy, but it always fits the theme of the stage while nailing the Darkwing Duck wonky spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkPddnJ_DHA

>>4125395
If there is one thing DD has over BOH is that it really nailed the "comic book / cartoon" style, it's not just some video game adaption with characters from the show, it really belongs with the source material. Even Duck Tales is far from as good as DD in that regard.
>>
File: 1471383871146.jpg (21KB, 167x239px) Image search: [Google]
1471383871146.jpg
21KB, 167x239px
Where do you guys rank the chip and dale games? They were always my favorites.
>>
>>4127438
Maybe too easy.
>>
File: 1362335472-00.jpg (191KB, 800x1145px) Image search: [Google]
1362335472-00.jpg
191KB, 800x1145px
>>4123126
>>4123137
>>4125124
>>4127368

Out of the way fags, THE best NES sidescroller coming through.
>>
>>4127404
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orF1BhxulxM
>>
>>4127438
they were a lot of fun. the coop was great, too, throwing boxes at your buddy was also kek
>>
Monster Party and Vice Project Doom are really neat.
>>
>>4123126
I think you've got a furry fixation
>>
File: Mega_Man_2_-_NES_-_Album_Art.jpg (368KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
Mega_Man_2_-_NES_-_Album_Art.jpg
368KB, 650x650px
Man, bitch, move the fuck over ya bitch ass bitches.
>>
File: DuckTales_NES_Cover.png (224KB, 250x365px) Image search: [Google]
DuckTales_NES_Cover.png
224KB, 250x365px
Move over
>>
>>4125224
Check out vomitron

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7Jt4y6G_Q
>>
>>4129524
>>4131310
How about pic related?
>>
>>4123126
>Your opinion on the two best sidescrollers for the NES?

Even though SMB3 is objectively better, I'll always have a bigger soft spot for SMB2?
>>
>>4123126

They're decent games, but they're just Mega Man clones for cheap.
>>
No Bucky O'Hare thread may exist without the Bucky O'Hare theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKI1CHPMNw

I watched the entire series last time we had a Bucky O'Hare-related thread. It was surprisingly good.

I never watched any Darkwing Duck though. For whatever reason, it did not appeal to me. Therefore, objectively, the game is surely inferior.
>>
>>4133187

Man, I hate how these old shows are never remastered so we get these shitty blurry shit.

Wasn't this based on some comic? I imagine it was pretty violent.
>>
>>4133187
Your logic is flawed, but you're assessment is accurate. I love the Darkwing Duck show, the game is good but definitely at the point Capcom kinda started phoning in licensed stuff.

Their phone ins are still good as lesser developers trying but still a phone in by Capcom in their prime standards.
>>
Bucky O'Hare was unusually varied and set-piece laden for an NES title, and it is really just a phenomenal 8-bit title.

Darkwing Duck is okay. It's really just another competent generic Capcom platformer from that era.
>>
>>4123170
This. I honestly love it (a lot of that could be nostalgia) but it isn't the most enthralling experience overall. It's great fun for a while but has a problem holding interest.
>>
>>4132920
I'd say Nemo's the best on the system personally, but just about everything in this thread so far is gold.
>>
hawt
>>
>>4127438
Great job with the music like any other capcom game, especially the theme song.
>>
File: batman-nes-screen-shot.jpg (194KB, 592x452px) Image search: [Google]
batman-nes-screen-shot.jpg
194KB, 592x452px
The platforming in this game was pretty great. The bosses suck, though.

Was there another platforming game where you play as a rabbit? On the Bucky wikipedia page I only see the NES game and arcade game. I thought there were some Amiga games or something,
>>
File: 49379_front.jpg (20KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
49379_front.jpg
20KB, 215x300px
I like Little Samson.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.