[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Romancing Saga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (16KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16KB, 256x224px
What are these games like?
>>
Much better than Final Fantasy but not as good as Dragon Quest.

Play if you want a break from the usual turn-based formulas and enjoy exploring.
>>
>>4121691
>Dragon Quest
>good

PFFFFFFFFT
>>
>>4121691
They are on the opposite side of Dragon Quest, can't really compare them at all
>>
>>4121695
>you
>not a faggot

>>4121696
Yes you can. The only key differences is how you explore the overworld and "level up"
>>
>>4121702
Not really. Comparing SaGa to DQ is like comparing Ogre Battle to Advance Wars. No point arguing anyways.
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
>>4121682
SquaresEnix Octopath Traveller is going to be like the Snes SaGa games.

The sags games have deeper progression. No random enounters. Battle formation can be changed.
>>
>>4121729
what is that image is there a game that actually looks like that
>>
>>4121824
It's from a new square project being worked on for Switch, 'Octopath Traveller'.
>>
Fun, generally non-linear RPGs with lots of mechanics to learn and experiment with.

>>4121824
>what is that image is there a game that actually looks like that
He named the game in the post, buddy.
>>
>>4121695
DQ is the most consistent JRPG franchise. There isn't a downright bad mainline entry and most of the spin offs are great
>>
>>4121691
>>4121702
You didn't have to do that but sure, you had to bring up Dragon Quest like that. I find Dragon Quest utterly boring compared to Final Fantasy due to how Final Fantasy handles character customization from game to game along with some variations of growth mechanics while still keeping standard growth mechanics.

Also character growth can be RADICALLY different. How do robots get stronger? Monsters? You cannot compare that to something as traditional as Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest has battle and event rank? Prema-death or a life point like mechanic? How about how you learn skills?

SaGa is on a different level from Dragon Quest. To say there are only two key differences makes me wonder if you even played the SaGa games.
>>
File: romancing saga fish.png (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
romancing saga fish.png
10KB, 256x224px
>>4121682
You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker
>>
Honestly I can't think two retro jrpgs more different to each other than DQ and SaGa
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 570x344px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 570x344px
>>4121824
Most new games buy Square are made by people who grew up on Romancing saga and Mana and Chrono Trigger.

I am setsuna and upcoming Lost sphere has Chronos gameplay.
>>
I find the SaGa games to be more freeform than other franchises, in comparison most FF and DQ are pretty linear, SaGa goes for nonlinearity sometimes to the point of lacking focus. And the story tends to be the weaker point compared to the classics.

The only game I can think about that tries to do the same is Metal Max, where you are just thrown into the world with very few pointers.
>>
I can't believe I was memed into playing this shitty fucking game. How autistic must you be to think there is a better SNES JRPG than Chrono Trigger and FF6? Probably the same people shilling for the mediocre Treasure of the Rudras.
>>
>>4122394
Pleb. Sounds like you got the autism.
>>
>>4122394
>Treasure of the Rudras.
>mediocre

you have seriously shit taste
>>
>>4121682
Son, we have stable threads like this>>4056863
dedicated to them and helping people get into the series, learn to use the catalog, keep /vr/ orderly and avoid multiple threads of the same topic.
To answer your question though, they're some of the most experimental games out there and have been a huge inspiration for the entire japanese industry, a fusion of western and eastern RPG design sprinkled with some general craziness and unusual ideas.
They're an aquired taste for most people, but if you can get into them you can waste hundreds of hours into them as they're specifically built around replayability.
>>4121729
>SquaresEnix Octopath Traveller is going to be like the Snes SaGa games.
>Three tier elemental spells
>SaGa games
It's going to be another FFV clone like BD.
The only modern games that tried to explicitly be like SaGa are the 3DS' Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive, and Alliance Alive already took a different direction by making the game's progression linear and focusing on plot.

SaGa games can't be reduced to a few factors like the unique levelling system or the non linearity, SaGa as a series always strived for two things, freedom to the player in progressing to the game how they want and exploring game design, that's why all the games are so different and the later mainlines have almost completely abandoned design standards like dungeons or explorable cities for a more essential design.

Just because a game is not linear or gives you multiple main characters isn't enough to make it like SaGa, also because SaGa itself doesn't have a specific general design, even key elements in the modern formula like Sparking weren't a thing until the SNES games and each game tweaked all the basic elements so that even basic mechanics work differently depending on the game, Romancing SaGa 1, 2, Frontier 2 and Unlimited all have sparking but each game has it work almost completely differently outside of the basic rule that you spark stuff during combat.
>>
>>4122538
Tldr didn't read, the game isnt going to be like Braverly default and you have not read even seen the screens.

The developers said open ended and world.

Typical homosexuals these days. Jumping to sharks.
>>
>>4122753
You are only thinking about how you progress through the game. If you are mentioning that then how SaGa is Final Fantasy Legend I and II? I highly doubt character growth mechanics will stray from the norm from how stats are gained and skills are gained. If they do then I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.