[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

King's Field

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: kings-field-ii-usa.jpg (94KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
kings-field-ii-usa.jpg
94KB, 600x600px
What are your thoughts on the King's Field games? I have been wanting to play one recently. It seems very few people have even played any of the games though.
>>
I like them. They aren't perfect but I can't think of a single thing I'd change.

Just remember that the King's Field 2 you have pictured there is actually King's Field 3. If you want to get started from the first game, you have to download KF1, which has been translated into English already.
>>
>>4121676
Wait what? So is this as confusing as Final Fantasy before VII? Which would you say is the best one? I know that the fourth game isn't retro but that one might be the one I want to play most actually.
>>
>>4121684
I've never played the first one, but King's Field II (the first one in the US) is considered the best and is where I started. If you like King's Field also check out Shadow Tower, it's basically a continuation/evolution of the series by the same devs.
>>
File: 37071-King's_Field_II_[U]-1.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
37071-King's_Field_II_[U]-1.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>4121693
Alright I'll keep this in mind. I listened to the ost and it is pretty good. Also the games do look like they have good atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iE0ejlFis
>>
Kings field is awesome.... but it hasnt aged very well....

There is also the issue that its a long running series, but one wasn't brought to the USA - so KF1 in the US is actually KF2 in Japan... Its from the same amazing company that brought us Dark Souls / Demons Souls - so of course the lore is amazing...
Basically - the game is amazing, but maybe its difficult to go BACK to it. its all first person and slow, not 3rd person and fast/exciting. I guess its good to check out but it might not click with you, just depends on your personal preference.
>>
They have boring game design and shitty gameplay, yet for some reason I enjoy playing them a lot.
>>
>>4121673
KF3 is one of the few games where the framerate and slowdown are both so fucking bad that it impacts my enjoyment of the game.
>>
Can someone suggest a starting point? I could use a good arpg right now. How hard are these exactly? I have never played any of thecsouls games if that means anything.
>>
>>4121819
Kf1jp is very easy, I beat it without a guide even in about ten hours and it also has an english patch.
>>
King's Field 4 is excellent, but not retro.
I don't think the PSX titles are particularity enjoyable to play.
>>
>>4121673
only played Eternal Ring
>>
File: 1499303148550.gif (496KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
1499303148550.gif
496KB, 500x200px
>>4121853
>>
I love the atmosphere but something about the gameplay feels masochistic and I don't mean the difficulty.
>>
File: KF3_JAP_Cover_Front.jpg (86KB, 641x650px) Image search: [Google]
KF3_JAP_Cover_Front.jpg
86KB, 641x650px
>>4121760
>games age

I played King's Field III (the japanese version, KF2 in USA, I believe).
I remember liking it, mostly for the atmosphere alone, I didn't like the gameplay mechanics, I mean, it's a slow, slowwww dungeon crawler. But, the atmosphere alone makes this game, you want to explore this gloomy, fiendish place.
I always thought it was the kind of kusogame that nobody but me would enjoy, I wasn't aware of its cult status in Japan, and none of my friends knew about it, also never read about it in magazines, I'm sure it was features in some back in the day, but I don't remember it, or ads of it, to me it was just a random game I picked up at the game store that sold bootlegs for cheap.
Years pass by, Demon's Souls comes out and I learn that King's Field was actually a revered series. It was like a guilty pleasure that ended up not being guilty.
>>
>>4122964
>games age
Do the people who say games don't age actually believe it or is it just trolling? Of course everything ages.
>>
>>4122970
The game is the same one I played back in 1996. It was clunky back then and it's still clunky now.
>>
>>4122972
Of course but when it was released many other games were clunky as well. I don't know, I don't want to turn this into a whole big thing so probably shouldn't have started, it just seems so completely odd when people go off on it. Things aging is a pretty basic and widely understood concept, but here people will pretend they don't understand it and it's fucking weird.
>>
>>4123001
Biological things age, code data doesn't. My point is that the game was the same one as it was back then, it didn't change a bit.
I understand your point though, although I don't agree 100%, I think perception is subjective and again, I thought KF was as clunky as it still is, it was never "better" than it is now. I noticed the slow pace, convulted design and low res polygons and pixelated textures, my perception of it is the same one today. But I agree it's not worth derailing a thread discussing this, it's mostly semantics and subjectivity.
Also, the reason you might get called out is because "it hasn't aged well" is a common bait here on /vr/, maybe you didn't mean it in a bait attempt, but many other people do. It's like "overrated" and other buzzwords.
>>
>>4123012
>My point is that the game was the same one as it was back then, it didn't change a bit.

People don't mean things actually changed. Perception changes. But yeah, whatever. I do get how it's used as bait and that only makes things worse, like "overrated".
>>
>>4121842
Thanks, the first person perspective seems cool and I can go for some simple slaughtering of monsters.
>>
>>4123012
When people talk about games aging they don't mean the game literally changed with age.

It just means that cultural expectations and thoughts about what to expect when playing a game and how those expectations color our perception of a game as good.

Yes, KF was always clunky and slow, but 3D action adventure games without a grid to determine movement, dice rolls to determine hits & damage, and a UI that is designed to be clear and uncluttered rather than menu-driven for basic actions like Dungeon Master or System Shock made playing King's Field in 1994 when it was made seem like a step in the right direction rather than really outdated.
>>
>>4123254
That's entirely subjective though, I wasn't expecting anything out of KF when I played it back then, and as I said, I found the gameplay to be not really enjoyable, I just liked the atmosphere and world design.
In that regard, the game didn't really change for me, it's still the same game I played back then.
Anyway I don't have any problem if others had a different experience with it, I just think "games age" can be a faux argument to criticize a game without actually saying anything relevant. You could argue every retro game has "aged" or is "outdated", it doesn't really say anything.
I never enjoyed KF's gameplay, but maybe other people do, and maybe they still do to this day, in that sense, the game didn't "age" for them either, same as just it didn't age for me because I always found it clunky.
>>
>>4123254
>It just means that cultural expectations and thoughts about what to expect when playing a game and how those expectations color our perception of a game as good.
For the more intelligent they would think and say this but...
>>4123269
>I just think "games age" can be a faux argument to criticize a game without actually saying anything relevant.
This is what people mean in reality. They just don't want to admit that they simply didn't like a game due to their own taste not lining up or maybe it is that they are really awful at games so using the games have aged excuse is a perfect way to give a point about an old game without actually giving a constructive point. Everyone else says it so it is fine to repeat it right?

It is basically a convenient excuse more often than not. A convenient way to give criticism of a game you might not like. A game where you know some out there recognize it as good but since you didn't "get it" and since the game is old why not just say it hasn't aged well? Its not like you are calling it outright shit. However many have noticed that these are the reasons people say that so they learned to use it for baiting purposes such as in threads about games. Anyways an opinion is an opinion even if the given opinion doesn't really say a whole lot. I still haven't got around to emulating any of the games yet but I might emulate the first one with that translation patch.
>>
>>4123254
So basically, newer games deprecate older games, making them shittier now than they were at the time.

Got it.
>>
People overplay how dated it is, it's one of those things where once you've played it past 30 minutes, you start to get used to it, King's Field I is nice and simple and could even be blown through in under like 10 hours easily, but people don't like it too much, but it's also simple enough to be a good start to the series.

With that said, King's Field II I consider to be one of the greatest achievements in gaming, play it.
>>
>>4123297
That's absolutely the case with fighters, no reason to go back to World Warriors when Super Turbo exists
>>
>>4123337
I prefer Ken's spaghetti hair from WW to any of his other incarnations.
>>
>>4123343
can't argue with spaghetti hair
>>
>>4123297
They don't necessarily depreciate games, just change how we as players interact with them.

Its not dissimilar from the critical theory of an actor's "second body", which is to say their previous roles color how we as viewers see their subsequent roles. For example Peter Lorre's lead in "M" and subsequent roles in "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca" make us think of creepy slimy criminals when we see him. The public expectations of a Peter Lorre character becomes a tool that other films can utilize.

I first beat KF1 (j) about a year ago, and knowing what I do about the subsequent evolution of 3D adventure titles mechanics and design philosophies made playing it more fun. It was like looking into some of the genre's bedrock.
>>
File: IMG_0174.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0174.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>4121673
Theyre pretty based if you like the atmosphere. The combat isn't much but it's still fun to chop chop and it's fun to explore the world in first person with the pace as it is.
>>
>>4123297
>Got it.

Your reading comprehension is abysmal.
>>
>>4123343
That's just graphics though. Talking about gameplay he's right.
>>
Are there any similar console games?
>>
>>4121684

Wait, are you implying that FF's were confusing before FF7? What the hell? They're linear and extremely easy to understand.
>>
>>4126229
Check out Shadowgate 64.
>>
>>4126257
I think he's talking about the numbering. 4/2, 6/3
>>
>>4126229
Not quite retro or console, but Fighting Fantasy on DS is a really damn good real time fps dungeon crawl. If you have one, look for a copy.
>>
>>4126393
Yes this is what I meant. I don't know how he could have thought otherwise.
>>
Is SoM King's Field a lot different from the original?
>>
Didn't FromSoftware mention that they were making another King's Field?
>>
>>4126278
Thanks, it really does look similar!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.