[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone built a Raspberry Pi 3 emubox? The flat $70 or so price

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 14

File: 1331[1].jpg (47KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1331[1].jpg
47KB, 400x400px
Anyone built a Raspberry Pi 3 emubox? The flat $70 or so price tag is pretty enticing considering that many of the retro games I would want to play are ridiculously expensive.

Any advice?
I was probably going to order the #1 set off Amazon (the one with the 32gig SD and the black case). I've built computers before so I'm not really worried about fucking it up during setup but I'm still wondering just how well it'll work overall before I pull the trigger.

>inb4 emulate for free on your computer
Wouldn't be comfy with my current rig and I don't have the space to rearrange shit to make it comfy.
>>
>>4121306
It works well but only if you plan on plugging it into a TV, or taking it places, or whatever. If you sit at your computer most of the time anyway, then just play on that.

It's not THAT difficult but there are times where I find it a little inconvenient and unintuitive
>>
>>4121306
I used the same kit, it was pretty easy to set up.
>>
>>4121306
>inb4 emulate for free on your computer
So build a sff PC. Why cuck yourself with reddit pi input lag and shite performance?
>>
>>4121360
>Why cuck yourself with reddit pi input lag and shite performance?
Because the difference in input lag between an average emulator and a retropi raspberry pi 3 is only a few frames (as little as 1 in some cases).
At 60fps, this is fucking negligible to me.

As for performance, I haven't heard anything really bad about retropi or pi 3's. If you got some insight to share, then do so and don't be a smug retard about it. This is fucking /vr/, not /lit/ or /mu/.

>Build a sff PC.
Might be SLIGHTLY better, but will also be much more expensive. The point in buying the pi 3 is to have a cheap-o emubox that gets the job done *well enough*. I don't need a sff PC that's twice the price of a pi 3 if I'm only going to get one or two more frames less input lag. I'm not going to be playing on a CRT so I'm going to have input lag no matter what.
>>
What sort of systems were you planning to emulate? Are you going to do the whole retropie thing?
>>
>>4121306
What exactly do you need advice about? I didn't have any trouble.
>>
>>4121390
Maybe you should be quiet. I have a Pi3 and it's great.
>>
You know it's just a basic computer running emulators and comes with all that entails, right? You're not getting the console experience just because it's in a small box.

If you must buy an SBC, you can do much better than the Pi for less money. They just have the name.
>>
i definitely recommend one. i got the 70 buck canakit off of amazon and a buffalo controller and it's great to keep out in the living room or take with you to play in hotel rooms.scraping rom info is a pain though, and 25% of the time it puts up the wrong box art. i also recommend curating the roms to only the ones you think you might actually play, cause scrolling through hundreds of roms you aren't interested in is a pain.
>>
>>4121306

Retardedly easy to set up. Download the latest RetroPie image. Install the image on the pi's SD card. Run through the setup (including control pad setup), then fill the folders with as many roms as you want. You're ready to go.

Emulates everything up to and including 4th gen perfectly. Also does PSX pretty close to perfect. N64 is dodgy. Forget anything more complex.

Does great MAME and FBA emulation as well.
>>
>>4121442
If you're using RetroPie you can jump to letter with selected

By the way, I'm looking for games for a Sega CD collection (because fuck 45GB for all of them), what are some good ones?

Also how does Saturn emulation run if at all?
>>
>>4121306

If you want emulation, you're really better off getting an Ouya. It's cheaper, comes with a pad straight out of the box, and android has the best emulators.
>>
Soft Modded Wii with Gamecube Ports>Any Raspberry Pi
>>
>>4121396
>What sort of systems were you planning to emulate?
(S)NES, Famicom, Gameboy (Color and Advance), Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Neo Geo, TG16, a few other home computers (C64, ZXS, etc) and a few select 2nd gen consoles (2600, Colecovision, etc) for the most part.
Not about running any arcade games but I wouldn't be opposed to it; I haven't been able to play The Simpsons arcade machine since my local theater closed.
I've heard N64 emulation on the pi 3 is pretty subpar but I'd like to be able to run that as well. If I can't though it's no huge loss. I could always get a flashcart for my N64 and play all the games I'd want to that way.

>Are you going to do the whole retropie thing?
If it'll serve my purposes the best and easiest, probably? Is there something better I should do?

>>4121410
It's more just tech things. I've never really worked with an emubox-type PC setup before so I just want to make sure it's not a completely retarded idea before I toss my dosh at it.

I guess my big thing is how I'd load the games on it and the general performance of the system (and thus the emulators on it)? While the second question has been answered by positive feedback I've seen so far, the first hasn't. I'd prefer to store the games on the system itself (either on the SD card or an external USB if the SD is too small); is this possible?
>>
>>4121471

Retropie uses most of the same emulators Android does. They both run on ARM.
>>
>>4121478

So, I don't understand why you'd want to bother with a pi for this? The Ouya would be much cheaper, when you consider the extra costs.
>>
>>4121306
you can fit a stupid amount of roms on a 32GB card
I have that Canakit case, it's nice. The powersupply is the best part, since it's a hell of a lot more reliable in terms of delivering the right voltage to the Pi (so there's a much lower chance of random reboots/SD corruption)

PS1 is pretty okay on a Pi 3.
with an old PS1 DualShock and one of those cheap blue 2 port converters (or a DualShock 3/4 hooked up over bluetooth), it's pretty comfy
those cheap converters have the worst connecting cable ever though, I cut the original off and replaced it on mine and it's lasted for years since, the original cable lasted months

>>4121387
>much more expensive
any PC ever made within the last ten years other than like 900MHz netbooks (they're rated higher, but they overheat) should do what the Pi does and have better performance in MAME
any PC made since 2009 can emulate everything on Saturn in SSF at full speed, except for the high-res fighters
even fairly low end machines might manage some non /vr/ stuff like PS2 and Gamecube
and you're gonna have a lot of a better time with DC on a remotely recent PC

>>4121465
Saturn requires much higher specs than a Pi will provide.
It's slideshow territory.
>>
>>4121474
no

the raspberry pi is more powerful, it has better emulators

I have a rpi3 with a retrotink to get 240p component video

way better than the modded wii

>>4121390
CRTs have no input lag
to have lag they would need to have a memory to store a framebuffer in order to process it and then show it on screen. they don't have any of that since that technology wasn't even close to being made when CRTs were invented.

>>4121360
the pi doesn't necesarilly have more input lag than a PC, it all depends on the software. With the drivers retropie and lakka use you'll get only 1 frame of lag more than a perfectly configured PC IIRC and most people don't even bother to configure their PCs to minimize input lag (you inclueded)
>>
>>4121436
>You know it's just a basic computer running emulators and comes with all that entails, right?
Yup. Aren't there replacement OS's that turn it into more of a TV-Game 5,000,000-in-1 dealy-o's? That's close to what I'm looking for.

>You're not getting the console experience just because it's in a small box.
As long as I can play games on my TV while sitting comfy on my couch with a controller in my hands I'd call that the console experience. A pi (or something like it) just seems like the best/cheapest way of achieving that. I already have a TV setup with consoles hooked up but I don't have all the consoles I'd want to play and getting flashcarts and peripherals for each one seems like not only a pain but also an expense I'm not willing to make. I'm not a collector, I just want to play a lot of games. 100% accuracy isn't too big of an issue for me.

>>4121442
>scraping rom info is a pain though, and 25% of the time it puts up the wrong box art.
Don't really care about box art, or rather, I'd prefer not to have it at all if it's going to be a pain to get working. Can I disable this and just sort via names without box art?>>4121442

>i also recommend curating the roms to only the ones you think you might actually play, cause scrolling through hundreds of roms you aren't interested in is a pain.
Yeah, probably going to have to do this as well. I have almost 2.7k NES roms alone right now. I'll probably toss the collection on an external HDD and then just put select titles on the pi.

>>4121460
>Emulates everything up to and including 4th gen perfectly. Also does PSX pretty close to perfect. N64 is dodgy. Forget anything more complex.
Nice. Sucks about N64, but decent PSX emulation is pretty nice. FreeMCboot doesn't play too well with CD-based games I've come to find. Very annoying to get them working (if I can at all).

>>4121390
>wii is a better choice all around
Funny enough I have a Wii. Only use it for emulating Wii and GC games. Very poor controllers.
>>
>>4121489
even if a PC is cheaper the pi is way easier to set up since everything is already done and well documented online,
a <$70 PC is going to be an old used ATX size machine that people don't want next to their TVs or an old used laptop that probably doesn't have hdmi out.
Also they have annoying fans, the pi is completely silent

the pi may not be the cheapest or the most powerful option but it's the easiest and more practical solution, and if you don't care about N64, saturn and dreamcast then it's not a bad option at all
>>
>>4121475
RetroPie is pretty easy to setup. Here's the stuff I did:

1. Format SD card
2. Write ISO
3. Setup controller
4. Expand filesystem
5. Fix overscan
6. ROM transfer
7. Select default emulators
8. Select default video modes
9. Scrape (optional)

All those steps are explained online and mostly involve selecting stuff in menus.
Sometimes you might have to delve into Linux to edit config files or copy a BIOS but it's basic stuff.

There are also extra packages and different emulators you can download. I downloaded a better scraper.
>>
File: no regrets.png (46KB, 747x341px) Image search: [Google]
no regrets.png
46KB, 747x341px
OP here, really hope I don't regret this.
>>
File: meow in aww.gif (420KB, 500x295px) Image search: [Google]
meow in aww.gif
420KB, 500x295px
>>4121778
Dragon dildos shipped same day?
>>
>>4121306
>Any advice?
Wait a few years until you have dozens of spare cables, power supplies, SDs, etc like every other teenager. Pick up a loose memeberry 3 for $1 on ebay. Emulate on your moms iphone in the mean time.
>>
File: SBPC Comparison.png (117KB, 1431x530px) Image search: [Google]
SBPC Comparison.png
117KB, 1431x530px
>>4121306
Any post 2014 android (v5.0+) phone would emulate shit better. rPi is underpowered for N64 and PS1 emulation.
Also, pic related.
>>
>>4121480

This. Ouyas cost like..30 bucks these days, you get a pad, a case, wires all included, and it runs tegra, so it emulates everything great
>>
>>4122147

Not included in pic: the fact that the pi costs less than half of every other board on the list. For $36, it's a hell of a device.
>>
>>4121360
>input lag
oh fuck off with this meme, emulators on the pi are just as responsive as their PC counterparts it doesn't just magically get more laggy because stupid people like you said so
>>
>>4122253
Depends on where you buy it. Other boards are at least 2x better so it's well worth paying 25%-100% more. Raspberry Pi is garbage.
>>
File: thin your heat sinks.jpg (1MB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
thin your heat sinks.jpg
1MB, 2048x1232px
OP here. Building my pi and trying to install retropi.

Do I install Raspian first and then install retropi on top of it or do I simply format the SD card that came with NOOBS+Raspian and flash the retropi image onto it then boot directly into that?

Pic related is current progress.
>>
>>4122882
no you just burn the retropi image to the SD card. dont even fuck around with raspian and stuff
>>
>>4122890
Should I format the SD card first or flash it without formatting?
>>
>>4122147
Can you run all the same software on these?
>>
>>4122894
you don't need to format it
use win32diskimager
>>
>>4122932
no, the rpi is the one with best software support for emulating games
>>
Just get lakka you tremendous faggots
>>
Just finished putting my Pi into a 3D printed mini-NES type box.

I have a wireless keyboard with touchpad, and two wireless controllers, and the complete libraries of the Atari ST, NES, SNES, and Genesis on there, along with a few PS1 games for good measure.

It's great for social gatherings.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1227921951_qpqv[1].jpg (607KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1227921951_qpqv[1].jpg
607KB, 3000x2250px
There are mini nes/snes cases for the pi
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1061082496_b2dn[1].jpg (146KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1061082496_b2dn[1].jpg
146KB, 1500x844px
>>
>>4122882

You can install Rasbian first, and then do a RetroPie install over it. This is especially useful if you also want a Linux GUI like gnome or KDE.
But if your pi is exclusively for retro-gaming, the second method is best since it will install a minimal version of Rasbian with very little overhead.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1248846053_2zr5[1].jpg (68KB, 1436x922px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1248846053_2zr5[1].jpg
68KB, 1436x922px
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1191515086_embt[1].jpg (74KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1191515086_embt[1].jpg
74KB, 1024x683px
>>
>my friends are into raspberry pis
>they all have rpis connected to their big LCD TVs and bluetooth controllers
>I laugh at their expensive setups and input lag
>I tell them I can make a better setup for only $20
>I buy a CRT for $1, an old PC for $10 and some USB controllers for another $10
>I tell them to come to my house to check my magnificent retro gaming entertainment system
>They all arrive and I show it to them
>"WOW that TV is old!" says one of my friends
>he doesn't know about its 0 ms input lag and perfect image with scanlines
>I turn the PC on
>the fans starts whirring, you can hear the HDD reading data from 10 feet away
>the windows xp logo appears on screen
>my friends laugh, tears from rage start appearing on my face
>after 2 minutes windows XP finishes booting, I close the non-legitimate windows copy popup
>I grab the mouse and keyboard
>"wait, you can't start the games with the controller?"
>my friends laugh harder
>I open zsnes, I'm sure they will be amazed by its superior GUI
>I load kirby superstar
>zsnes puts out some screeching sounds
>my friends laugh even harder
>I got really, really angry and my eyes started tearing up and my faced turned red. I got up, threw my mouse, and screamed at the top of my lungs, "THIS IS MY RETRO SYSTEM THAT I HAVE MADE BY MYSELF AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BE RUDE ABOUT IT. OKAY -blam!-?!"
>Turns out that when I threw my mouse, it hit a friend in the head. The dude walked up to me and beat the crap out of me.
>I laid there on the ground crying for a minute, then a girl kicked me in the balls and called me a freak
Why are people so mean?
>>
>>4123013
>I buy a CRT for $1
Funny enough this is probably the fakest part of this whole story.
>>
>>4121306
I have. It's piss easy. Just follow a guide.
>>
>>4121493
Retropie + retrotink, is well over the $20 a used Wii is. That's the benefit of the Wii.
>>
>>4123034

The minimum I see used wii's go for is $40. And they're rarely complete systems.
>>
>>4122932
Yes. This guy is retarded >>4122958
>>
>>4122932

You will need to "install from source" instead of installing from binaries. That means you'll need to suck down the source code from github and compile the encoders on your card of choice. It's actually pretty easy, just very time consuming compared to the process on a genuine pi.
>>
OP here. Got everything working for the most part. Having trouble connecting my pi to my PC wirelessly but that's a simple fix hopefully. Copying games over from USB works well enough in the mean time.

Thanks for all the help lads. Now I just need to work on unzipping and copying all the games I got. Oh what fun.
>>
>>4123110

Go into the RetroPie setup, and find the Samba sharing option. Turn it on, and make sure your pi is connected to your network. Reboot. Your shares should be visible to any PC.
>>
>>4123110

Also, you may want to change some default emulators. Picodrive is the default for Genesis and Master System. Change that to Genesis-plus-gx. FCEumm is the default for NES. Change that to Nestopia. I think the other defaults are fine.
>>
>>4123112
>Go into the RetroPie setup, and find the Samba sharing option. Turn it on, and make sure your pi is connected to your network. Reboot. Your shares should be visible to any PC.
Still nothing.

Oddly enough, before doing this, I found that my other desktop can connect to the pi just fine, even without samba. It's weird that the one I want to connect to the pi can't seem to see it though. I can ping it and receive responses, but any attempt I've made otherwise (typing in \\retropie or the IP address of the pi into the computer folder or run for example) have failed.

>>4123118
>Also, you may want to change some default emulators.
How?
Very strange, but I'm not a network guy so I'm just fumbling around in the dark here.
>>
>>4123152
Disregard this. Was able to connect with WinSCP just now.
>>
>>4123152
enable SSH and connect to it with FileZilla

it's faster and allows you to pause and resume transfers

you can change default emulators in the menu that appears when you launch a game
>>
>>4123152
>How?

When you launch a game, there is a box which says "press any key to make changes". With a keyboard attached, press a key when you see that box.
A dialog will pop up which will allow you to change the default emulator for the entire console system in question, or just for the one rom (this is sometimes useful).
>>
>>4123190
Already switched them over, but thanks man.
>>
OP here once again. Trying to edit smb.conf but I can't figure out how the fuck to save the changes I've made. Escape just brings me back out and the O and C keys (red in OK and Cancel near the bottom) just type in the field and don't work.

I feel like a retard asking, but what fucking button/key do I press to save my changes? I need to change the Workgroup of the Samba server.
>>
>>4123362

Don't try to use the fucked up text editor built-in to Emulation Station.
F4 out to command line.
Navigate to file directory.
Edit with the command: sudo nano "filename"
>>
>>4123362

If you INSIST on using that editor, the TAB key will take you from the editing are to the buttons. But the command line method is still better.
When you've saved your changes and want to return to the games list, just type: emulationstation
>>
File: wtf.jpg (270KB, 1024x1230px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
270KB, 1024x1230px
>>4123414
>>4123420
Thanks. Got that sorted out.

New problem though - what happened to my GUI? It's flickering about every once and a while and keeps going from black to dark/light gray. None of the GUI elements show up correctly (I've seen them flash for a frame or two) and instead show up as blocks of color or not at all.
>>
>>4123540

Looks like ES doesn't have a theme assigned anymore. Press your controller's Start key, scroll down to Theme Set and re-select Carbon.

You didn't fuck with any directory permissions, did you?
>>
>>4123571
>Looks like ES doesn't have a theme assigned anymore. Press your controller's Start key, scroll down to Theme Set and re-select Carbon.
Apparently Carbon is still my theme. I can't seem to reselect or deselect it so I don't think it's unselected.
>You didn't fuck with any directory permissions, did you?
No? I don't think so?

I only remember vaguely when this started (or what I was doing before I first noticed it). I was in the theme selection menu and I hit right/left on the dpad when Carbon was selected (not in the actual theme choice screen). I swear the word Carbon moved a pixel to aside. After that I got an overheat warning and my theme started to shit itself more and more. I left the machine on for a bit (I didn't know the overheat warning was what it was until I googled it) trying to set it up and/fix it.

I worry that it got too hot. It was running hot enough to stink up the room. Even after being "cooled" the CPU and GPU are 129f. It was probably cooking itself at around 200f for a while. Do you think this is heat-related?
>>
Nm, apparently my vram was set to 0. I blame the mole people.
What's a good amount to set it at? I have it at 50 right now.
>>
>>4123662

Weird. The only time my pi has ever overheated is because it was in an unventilated case while I was playing the shit out of Metal Warriors SNES.
I've NEVER heated one up until it stank. Hope you didn't damage it.
Just how hot is your gaming room? Remember, unless you added a fan, the pi passively cools, so it needs to breathe.
>>
>>4123691

The recommended amount is 256. Minimum for a pi3 should be 128. Use multiples of 16.
>>
>>4123696
>Just how hot is your gaming room?
It's only 84f where I'm at right now, but it was in the 90s earlier in the day. I have two fans going to keep the room cool and the air in circulation so it never gets TOO hot.

>Remember, unless you added a fan, the pi passively cools, so it needs to breathe.
Might add in a fan later if this thing is getting this hot without one.

>>4123712
>Reccomended is 256, 128 is the minimum.
Will do.

>use multiple of 16
My setup only goes in intervals of 10? I assume this is something I'm supposed to set in the command line interface?
>>
>>4123782
I recommned you the flirc case, it's a case made of aluminium that acts as a big heatsink

I tested it leaving all cores at 100% for like an hour and it remained at an acceptable temp (don't remember how much though)
>>
>>4123782

You can go into Raspi-Config (from the Retropie setup menu). Then, go to advanced options and select memory split. There you can enter the number manually with a keyboard.
>>
Im using composite out with my raspberry pi 3 and it works fine but the audio volume is really low. Is there a way to raise it or do I have to amplify the output audio?
>>
>>4123881

Can I assume you've already jacked the volume to maximum in the Emulation Station menu?
>>
>>4121306
You gotta be a real fucking moron if you are unable to use a fucking pi. So tired of seeing threads like these - literally follow 3 steps. sdcardformatter, imager writer, and download the fucking image. Otherwise google "HOW DOES A RETARD LIKE ME INSTALL RETROPIE" and look at the three god damned thousand sites that tell you exactly how, what, when, and where to do the 3 steps it takes. Otherwise you can literally just buy a card with a image already on it. Posting from my pi2 ask I'm waiting on my new psu to come in for my desktop, by the way. Seriously though - the reason the pi is so good is because of all the fucking documentation out there. Just fucking google it. I promise whatever question you have will have an answer on the first result of google.
>>
>>4123938
I was more asking here just so I know the basics. I mean, it's hard to google the answer to a question if you don't know what questions to ask in the first place.
>>
>>4123938

Admittedly, there are far better sites for pi support than /vr/.
retropie.org.uk/forum is arguably the best. But don't go there if you bought a pre-built pi with Retropie already installed. Especially if it had games pre-loaded. They'll abuse you while it amuses them, then they'll ban you.
But if you bought a kit and are a home builder (like OP), you'll be welcomed there with open arms.
>>
>>4123941
Yeah I get that, it just seems like its the same thread every day. Almost wish there was a sticky.
>>
>>4123942
Yeah - same reason you don't go to the kodi forum and bitch about a prebought pi with kodi and exodus. Its not that they actually care about piracy etc, they just don't want the trouble that comes with it. So they feign ignorance and pretend that isn't what 99 percent of people use the pi/their software for. Plus, who wants to support some dickhead who bought a pi from someone who is selling your free software? Fuck em.
>>
>>4123947
>Yeah I get that, it just seems like its the same thread every day.
I actually wasn't sure if I should make an entire thread on /vr/ or just make a post in /hbg/; I decided not to do the latter since I ask for help there too often and I'd feel bad doing it again.
>>
>>4123962
Well, since I was being a dick due to seeing these threads all the time and you are not telling me to kill myself/neck myself heres the lowdown: It will emu pretty much everything you want fine, except for n64, dreamcast, saturn, etc. Dreamcast can work on a few titles like illbleed, but its buggy as hell. Especially sound. Misewell not bother.

N64 is what you expect, it can run popular shit like Mario, Mario Kart, Doom 64 etc perfectly fine but everything else is shit just like on PC.

Saturn I haven't really tried as it ran like shit on my pc, so I skipped doing that.

PSX is generally pretty good, sometimes sound is messed up (Currently playing Evil Dead hail to the king and the sound is wonky in the start menu) otherwise, it runs everything well.

Pre PSX is pretty damned good just like on PC.

Shit like scummvm for adventure games like maniac mansion works really well too.

I'm currently installing GemRB so I can play planescape torment and icewind dale but I am not sure how well that is gonna work on a pi2.

I use raspbian then install retropie on top of it instead of using the retropie image even tho retropie uses the base lite version its missing a desktop feature or two like add/remove programs gui that I like.

Also has pretty good native ports of things like Dink Smallwood that I have open now. Too bad its locked @ 640x480 it seems. Good game I played back in the day from the maker of LORD.

So yeah, the pi is worth the money if you like shit like that. Also a decent enough desktop to use while waiting on pc parts.
>>
>>4123978
>It will emu pretty much everything you want fine, except for n64, dreamcast, saturn, etc.
While it feels odd to say, those are all mostly stuff I can live without. Not too many titles I really care to play on those systems atm. I can wait for something better to come along.
>N64 is what you expect, it can run popular shit like Mario, Mario Kart, Doom 64 etc perfectly fine but everything else is shit just like on PC.
I guess that's not too huge a loss. I mainly just want to play Mario 64 as well as Doom 64. I've never played the former (aside from 5 minutes on a friend's DS) and I gave away my copy of Doom 64 more than a decade ago.

>PSX is generally pretty good, sometimes sound is messed up (Currently playing Evil Dead hail to the king and the sound is wonky in the start menu) otherwise, it runs everything well.
Nice. FreeMCboot doesn't play too well with cd-based games in my experience I don't have a ps1 on hand to mod.
I remember seeing a thread about Evil Dead around here not too long ago. Don't suppose that was you?

>So yeah, the pi is worth the money if you like shit like that.
I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. It's a slow process loading up games, but I think I'll just set them all to transfer over and then head to bed.
God damn though, I'm probably going to need a bigger SD card. 32 gigs isn't even enough for what I got right now. When I consider all the arcade, ps1, and neo geo titles/archives I still need to grab.

Didn't think about until you mentioned what you're playing but fuck, I can finally continue my Fire Emblem 7 save on something half decent. The PSP was nice but fuck that screen got to my eyes after a while. Call me an old fart but those tiny handheld screens strain my eyes anymore.
God my army is so fucked. It was the first FE I ever played and I had no idea what I was doing. I'm far as fuck into the game though so it's time to buckle and git gud. We ain't no save-scumming shitter.
>>
>>4124001
Get a flash drive. Insert it. Disable the usb service in retropie_setup.sh. then copy your /home/pi/RetroPie to your mounted flash. Then edit /etc/fstab and add something like...

/dev/sda1 /home/pi/RetroPie vfat auto,nofail,noatime,users,rw,uid=pi,gid=pi 0 2

Basically I keep all of my roms on a flash drive, and keep all my native stuff on the sdcard. If I ever have to reinstall/reformat, I don't have to transfer my roms again.You can also do it via network share, but to be honest its just easier to grab a 64gb/128gb flash drive. I have a 64gb one.
>>
>>4121489
>or a DualShock 3/4 hooked up over bluetooth
I know for a fact this will be input lag city no matter what you do.
>>
I would agree just buy/build a SFF PC so you can emulate """new""" stuff like GameCube as well.
>>
>>4124054
You CAN do things to minimize it. For starters, kill the wifi radio (if you must have wifi, use a bluetooth dongle instead of the onboard bt radio). Second, make the DualShock a slave bluetooth device instead of a master. That cuts lag significantly. Then there are things you can do on the pi that cut lag for any input device, like disabling threaded video.
>>
Noob here, very interested in getting one too.

Which is the best way to connect a retropie console to a CRT.?
>>
>>4124118

Best thing is to get a VGA monitor and get a "Gert VGA 666" GPIO-to-VGA adapter (sold on eBay), or build your own if you like to solder (google for schematics).

You can use the pi's composite out but it requires a funky stereo/video cable attached to a 1/8" headphone plug. I've only seen the right kind on UK sites.

The older pi2 had a standard RCA out, but it's got a significantly slower CPU.
>>
>>4124128
I got one fine off of amazon to hook up to my tube tv. Wasn't a big deal and cost less than 10. pi2 b here. Like you said connects through headphone jack. will say 4 pole. This isn't the one I have but was first result on google. https://www.amazon.com/AV-Cable-Raspberry-Pi-respberry/dp/B01FX1I8P4
>>
>>4124193

But the 4-pole arrangement on the pi is different from most camcorders or other devices that typically used these cables. So you have to make sure the one you want definitely works on a pi.
You'll notice in the Amazon pic, that cable must use an additional adapter to interface properly with the pi (which seems to be sold with it).
>>
>>4124206
Yeah, mine doesn't have the adapter. It just straight plugs in. Too lazy to google for the one I actually have. If you just type in pi rca cable you'll find one.
>>
>>4124220
https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-3-5mm-Plug-Cable/dp/B0007V6JCK fuck it did the work myself. Thats what I have
>>
what's the minimum cost to do this with windows and launchbox in a compact case? something capable enough to run ps1
>>
>>4126473
350$
>>
>>4123079
Still cheaper than the $85 or $65 retrotink + Pi kit.
>>
File: IMG_8720.png (484KB, 850x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8720.png
484KB, 850x512px
>>
>>4124110
threaded video is the biggest contributor of lag I've seen on my pi, it's really awful as it stands now
Like, you'd press jump, count "one mississippi", and you'd be halfway through saying that by the time the character jumped.
Disabling it made games actually playable.

that being said, it also really helps out with machines that are just barely on the edge of working at full speed with a Pi, but the sync isn't good enough

>>4124206
I have a generic camcorder RCA to 3.5 cable. Only issue is that you swap red and yellow when plugging it into the screen.
>>
>>4126632
you're comparing used hardware to new one
10 years old used stuff is going to be cheaper than a new product

also you have to take the cost of controllers into consideration. gamecube controllers are quite expensive compared to new USB controllers, and they are used too
>>
>>4127825
I'm comparing what the reply was originally about.

If the guy went the Wii route, I'd hope he'd go for a wiimote with a classic pad. Shoot, with the minis out now, you can get those controllers to use with a Wii. Still cheaper.
>>
>>4127518
>I have a generic camcorder RCA to 3.5 cable. Only issue is that you swap red and yellow when plugging it into the screen.
Of the three such cables I happened to have lying around, one didn't work at all (the common ground was probably switched with some pin the pi expects to be signal), one worked exactly as you described (video on red, audio on yellow and white), and one worked perfectly without any swaps.
So there's really no rhyme or reason to those things. Four-pole 3.5mm for A/V just isn't a standard.
>>
i have two Dualshock 4s and a Raspberry Pi 2B+ with a bluetooth dongle

I want to set 'n forget a system that upon booting lets me choose a SNES game or a PSX game. What can I do? Lakka? Retropie? Emulationstation? What?

Last time I had a Lakka set up it always forgot everything when rebooted; controls, save games, settings etc.
>>
File: secret_island_of_dr_quandary.png (206KB, 1439x1080px) Image search: [Google]
secret_island_of_dr_quandary.png
206KB, 1439x1080px
ITT: Post games you only played on the computers at school.
>>
>>4129708
Ignore my idiocy.
>>
>>4122147
>Rasp 3B
>1.2Ghz, 400Mhz video, 1GB RAM at 400Mhz
>$35
>ODROID C2
>2Ghz, 700Mhz video, 2GB RAM at 912Mhz
>$46
Looking at the info, anyone buying a Raspberry Pi since the release of the C2 must be retarded. You can get nearly twice the power for $11 more.
>>
>>4129909
yes, it's more powerful but it doesn't have "twice the power", computing power isn't soemthing you can measure looking at those numbers

it has a mali gpu which has shitty drivers on linux
it's less popular so it has worse community support
it doesn't have composite out and it's not compatible with boards like the gert666 or the retrotink so you won't be able to play on a CRT TV

and that extra power ain't gonna make no difference for retro games, maybe for some dreamcast games but the emulator is shit and was practically abandoned already
>>
>>4129909

unfortunetaly this >>4129942
I have one set up as a little server and it works great but it has terrible linux and driver support. I don't think you can get the full graphical power out of it atm.
>>
>>4129942
>it doesn't have composite out and it's not compatible with boards like the gert666 or the retrotink so you won't be able to play on a CRT TV
Can you please tell me more about this subject? I know the GPIO on the Rasp3 and the Odroid aren't 1:1, but technically can't you change the odroid's GPIO setting to match the Rasp3?
>>
>>4129983
The GPIO pins have nothing to do with the composite video encoder that is still present on raspi and absent from odroid.
>>
>>4129983
the rpi has a composite video out jack (the yellow one in the first raspberry model). in newer models it's inside the audio jack so you need one of those cables with an 3.5mm jack on one end and yellow, red and white RCA connectors on the other end. Not all of those cables are compatible since there's no standard. I used one made for the zune, those are compatible

the GPIO pins can change their function with what they are called "overlays" that you configure in the config.txt file

they can output video this way and there's some boards that convert the signal from those pins to VGA, SCART, composite, svideo and component video

the GPIO pins on any other SBCs that aren't a raspberry pi don't work the same way so the boards aren't compatible with them
>>
>>4130036
umm all the cables are compatible its just the colors wont match up if they arent on the same standard. Im using a camcorder cable for my Pi and the yellow is an audio channel and the red is video I think. It might be the white havent used it in a while
>>
>>4130039
some don't work at all becuase they have the ground in a different spot
>>
>>4129992
>>4130036
I've done a bit of digging, and you can output composite from the C1 and C2 odroids. Dunno about the others. The only downside is you need to solder your own cable/output, it's just a pad/hole on the PCB you connect to. Details:

http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c2_cvbs
>>
File: av-pinouts-zune.jpg (31KB, 470x255px) Image search: [Google]
av-pinouts-zune.jpg
31KB, 470x255px
>>4130050
Ohhh, well the zune standard and camcorder standard I know both work for sure. I just found this handy image which confirms what we both just said.
>>
>>4130039
I have three cables, one works normally, one works like yours (red and yellow switched), and one doesn't work at all, because the ground is on the wrong pole.
>>
>>4130057
Interesting. It must be supported somehow in the hardware if an unused header exists for it on the board. It's not easy to generate a usable video signal in software (I've tried, VGA is doable though since some of the tricky signals are on separate lines). I've seen it done only in the most rudimentary fashion, like only being able to output four shades of b/w/gray.
>>
>>4130086
yeah I found out that some of the brand name cables dont use the camcorder standard. I thought it was only the zune that was funny but a bunch of them have the ground in the wrong spot
>>
>>4121387
>>Build a sff PC.
>Might be SLIGHTLY better, but will also be much more expensive

an i5 4Ghz Dell Optiplex SFF with 2 half height expansion slots will run you about $120

With no expansion slots, it will run about $100.

I got one with expansion slots and put a CRT Emu Driver compatible AMD card in it for another $60

It can emulate every console up to Dreamcast/Naomi very well. I can even get PS2 working on it.
>>
>>4130101
>an i5 4Ghz Dell Optiplex SFF with 2 half height expansion slots will run you about $120
>I got one with expansion slots and put a CRT Emu Driver compatible AMD card in it for another $60
That's still ~$180 given your estimates, more than double what I'm paying (or rather paid since I already bought it) for the Pi. I'll probably assemble something like that when I scrape up the cash but for now the Pi is fine as a cheap stopgap.
A more powerful emubox is pretty low on my priority list anyway though since I have Wii for GC emulation and a PS2 fat for PS2 games. Not really much I want to play on Dreamcast right now and the few N64 games I want to play are ones that work relatively fine on Pi.
I should get an Xbox however - there's a few games I want to try on it. I know it's not retro per se, but anyone know how easy it is to CFW an OG Xbox? Tempted to buy my friend's old one off him and hack it.
>>
>>4129909
>twice the power
That's not how it works. Only memeberry is allowed to take numbers like that and make claims that a new product is x times more powerful than the last one. If someone who doesn't want to overpay for an underpowered device does this it's blasphemy. kek
>>
>>4129909
the only reason anyone buys a raspi is because they have actual support with shit like drivers, documentation, addons, explicit support from various distros and flash-and-go images, that sort of thing
>>
>>4121306
I've got a pi2. It's okay. Not great, not terrible. It can be a pain to get setup properly. The pi2 can be iffy with snes emulation to a degree.pi3 should be able to handle it since it's significantly faster.
If possible you might want to get a 64 card so you mame drop with all the complete sets for other systems. A 16GB comes shy of holding 2600, PCE, 32x, Lynx, Game Gear, Master System, SG-1000, NES, GB/GBC and a relatively percent of GBA (not like most of the library isn't shovelware anyway) and a third to half of both Mega Drive/SNES games and like 5 PSX isos.
Mame would stack another 28GB on top. Leaving a bit of headroom for finishing out the Mega/SNES or adding the others depending on your preference and some for a few PSX iso's. Though you can always have it mount a network share as well.
>>
>>4130057
That's a nasty way of doing it with the male lead. would be better using female and mounting it to whatever case you're using and using extension. Not that you couldn't just get a gender swapper but most people have male/male cables rather than female/male extensions.
>>
>>4121306
It runs ps1 perfectly. N64 is shit (but its shit on nasa supercomputers too so no surprise) and ive never gotten a saturn game to even boot up. Anything older will work perfectly, but getting Sega CD and PC Engine CD games to boot can be a pain on the ass until you get them configured right. It took me 2 or 3 nights worth of tweaking to get Rondo of Blood working. Youll also need to download a bios file for gba.

The only thing I'd point out is that kits usually pack in cheaper sd cards. I always go for a class 10 when I do anything with a pi because supposedly lesser quality ones are prone to corruption in which case you have to reflash the entire OS and all your roms again.

Transferring roms is a slow, shitty process. You can't write them to your sd card, you have to connect your pi to your computer's wifi and do a wireless transfer which can be slow as fuck if you are transferring complete romsets or disc based games.

Overall I like mine, but it took a long time to get all the settings and everything exactly how I like them. Good thing is, i cloned everything on my sd card onto my pc so when my friends ask me to build them one I am able to make a complete replica of mind in less than 2 hours from the moment I unbox the pi.
>>
>>4130328
A dell optiplex SFF is smaller than an OG xbox, just slightly.
It's heavier though.

Also, you can put any laptop optical disc drive in it. I put a Blu-Ray writer I got on ebay for $40 in it and put a (pirated) copy of PowerDVD and it plays movies great.
It has a full 3.5" hard drive bay, so you can get TBs of storage for fairly cheap.
It also has USB3.0, so external drives are viable for movies.

It's a great solution for a TV PC that, with a little work, can do a bit of everything, and do it fairly well.
>>
>>4130328
>how easy it is to CFW an OG Xbox

Depends.
Do you have an Xbox controller port to USB plug and an old less than 2GB usb flash stick, or a PSP with a less than 2GB memory card and a copy of Mech Assault/Splinter Cell for Xbox?

Do you have an older PC with a free IDE port, and the ability to place it right next to your OG xbox so you can swap the internal hard drive to the PC while they're both turned on?

Because those are the two methods to hack an OG xbox.

The Splinter Cell/MA method uses save game exploits, but only works with USB devices the OG xbox can read (PSP, oddly enough, works great), and copies the software and bootloader to the Xbox's hard drive.

The IDE cable swap method exploits how hard drive write protection is disabled on the xbox when it is powered on. You then can access it with software on your PC, disable the lockout, have the PC copy over all required software, enable the lockout again, and replace it into the xbox.
>>
File: 20170702_154613.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_154613.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
I use this case instead. Having a small screen that you can hang on an adjustable wall mount near your bed is excellent.
>>
>>4131447
>You can't write them to your sd card
You can if you know what you're doing. Just boot into linux so you can see the second ext partition on the SD card.
>you have to connect your pi to your computer's wifi and do a wireless transfer
You might find it's faster to plug in an ethernet cable and do it by wire.
>>
>>4131804
Thanks for the tips, anon
>>
>>4130090
Not 100% sure myself. I'm halfway tempted to grab one just to see how the composite is on it.
>>
>>4130886
this, I would have bought another android box in a heartbeat but raspberry pi just has the best support. I dont care if odroid is more powerful hardware that doesnt mean shit when there are no emulators to play on it.
>>
>>4131447
>You can't write them to your sd card
Found the Windows user. Sorry your OS sucks.
>>
>>4132512
windows rules. not that guy but we have software to look at your stupid partitions. Don't need to dual boot another OS. I have a raspberry pi so I am obviously running a unix based OS on there but why the hell would I want to do that to my desktop, pcs are expensive games machines now so why ruin its game playing capability.
>>
>>4132538
>lunix guru
>can't multi boot
Sounds legit
>>
>>4123013
>I tell them I can make a better setup for only $20
>setup costs $21
>>
>>4123023
Why? Everyone that I own was free
>>
>>4121306
retro devs are literally going to kill themselves if you keep this shit up guys.

please respect their intentions, as we may never have any more of them again... :~(
>>
>>4132975
10/kek
>>
>>4131447
Pi's have ethernet on them if you cared. Also depends on which wifi and which SD cards. For most microSD card's you're looking at 2-15MiBps, maybe upwards of 20 in best case which is not determined by class rating but by actual empirical measurements, which wifi can be faster than depending on your specific setup.
You can always set up a USB to an esata drive to transfer at highpeed on your machine and have the pi mount that.
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.