[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First game you ever remember playing/seeing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 35

What's the first game you ever remember playing or at least the first game you remember seeing that maybe inspired you to pick up and play?

>Image is my first game
>>
File: legend-of-zelda.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
legend-of-zelda.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
I never owned it as a kid and my family had a snes with some games before hand, but this was the first I remember playing, over at a neighbor's house.
>>
Super Mario Bros.

Don't know how, but it got it's hooks in me good, and I only ever wanted to play Mario or Mario related games for years ( though i'd still rent games based on TV shows or Movies I liked )
>>
>>4121069
What year do you think it was?
>>
>>4121073
1993, possibly 94.
>>
This and this version, in fact. Came on one of the dozens of disks full of cracked games that came with our C64.
>>
>>4121056
It was year 2000 and I was 5. My parents were cheap so my first console was a SNES my father bought second hand from my uncle. I loved it. Still do, still have it, still works. First game I ran was Super Metroid because I liked the cartridge art.
>>
File: DizzyStart[1].gif (21KB, 665x499px) Image search: [Google]
DizzyStart[1].gif
21KB, 665x499px
>>4121056
First game I ever played was probably some Space Invaders clone (the name is lost to time for me) on my dad's Acorn Electron. I don't really remember much of the old Acorn.

In the '80s my dad bought me a ZX Spectrum with hundreds of cassette games from a guy at work. The first game I played was Yie Ar Kung Fu as it was the first game on the first cassette of a multi-game collection that looked cool. The game that really enthralled me though was Dizzy.
>>
sonic hedgehog
>>
File: kenseiden-20080201033633115.jpg (106KB, 460x353px) Image search: [Google]
kenseiden-20080201033633115.jpg
106KB, 460x353px
this when I was 4, the year was 1993
>>
File: DuckHunt.jpg (290KB, 610x460px) Image search: [Google]
DuckHunt.jpg
290KB, 610x460px
>>
File: Brick Game Tetris.jpg (57KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
Brick Game Tetris.jpg
57KB, 600x500px
Tetris.
>>
I think it was a Game and Watch, but I'm not certain. It was a game where you got rid of bandits on a roof or something. If I'm not counting that, it's either Alex Kidd in Miracle World on SMS or Super Mario Bros on NES.
>>
>>4121056
It was either that Mario Kart, or Mario paint, oddly I didn't get too into any Nintendo franchises.

Anyways was Super Mario World on all stars? I know I had the standalone game but I can't remember if it was also on that
>>
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
>>
File: smw_title_pal.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
smw_title_pal.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: arcade-game-mspacman-cocktail.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
arcade-game-mspacman-cocktail.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
When i was really young they had this arcade machine in a Dairy Queen right near my house and i would play it every time we went even though i was too small to see the game without a stool. I was obsessed with it, I always watched in awe while people played it. It was kind of after the arcade era though, Sometime in the early to mid 90's i believe i was 5 or 6 years old.
>>
>>4121056
it must have been an arcade game, but i really don't remember.

i'll tell you guys about my first experience playing NES, though. one day in 90 or 91 when i was about 3 or 4 my mom tells me that my dad bought a video game system and he's bringing it home after work. i didn't know that the NES even existed at the time, as the only games i played before were arcade games.

the whole day i'm wondering what game my dad bought and how in the world is he going to fit an arcade cabinet inside of his tiny ass dodge colt. which was a compact 2 door hatchback car. i'm looking out my bedroom window when he finally comes home, and the trunk door of his car is fully closed. i get bummed out because i know there's no way that he could fit a cabinet in there without opening the trunk and tying it down with bungee cords.

i run downstairs anyway and he walks in from the garage with a pair of boxes in his arms. one has an NES in it and the other has about two dozen games. the front of the NES box looks like the top of a board game box with a happy, yuppy family gathered around a tv playing super mario bros. i'm in shock because i've never seen anything like it before.

he hooks it up to one of our tvs and we play super mario bros. he gets tired of playing after a few minutes but i'm in love. i played all night until it was time for bed and i haven't stopped playing video games since.
>>
>>4121307
I'm sorry your dad didn't play with you longer
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
116KB, 1920x1080px
>>4121056
My first game was Road fighter but game make me inspired was Keystone keeper
>>
>>4121310
it's cool. he still let's me live in his basement rent free.
>>
>>4121379
I still live with my parents too
>>
I remember Mario 3 was the best thing I had ever seen in my life. Just wanted to play it and watch people play it more than anything.
>>
The first I can remember was Super Mario 64. Our local airport had an indoor play area for the kids, and they had those kiosks set up with N64 games. I remember attempting to walk around the castle and being unable to comprehend how the joystick worked.
>>
File: nintendo puffy stickers.jpg (44KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo puffy stickers.jpg
44KB, 354x354px
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. I still remember watching my dad set it up for us. He put the puffy Mario Bros. sticker on the NES when after setting it up.
>>
>>4121678
Those look extremely comfy
>>
File: 8-Eyes-1.jpg (2MB, 2880x1961px) Image search: [Google]
8-Eyes-1.jpg
2MB, 2880x1961px
>>
Pretty sure it was the Lion King on Genesis that I have the earliest memories of seeing/playing, but I'm sure I saw other Genesis games The Lion King just has the most clear memory for me.
>>
>>4121718
You are now manually aware that 1993 was 24 years ago.
>>
Super Mario Bros, Was living in a different country. Older Cousins come over with a Famicom and played SMB.
>>
>>4121072
I started to play video games at 3years, i remember the sound of the broken bricks got me in SMB1 it was so pleasant to the ears.

I don't know how but I remember I managed to go to the final level of the game still at this age, I came to told to my big bro that I was in the final castle and I wasn't able to pass the final bowser/koopa, my big bro has insisted to take the pad and fucked up. He lost all my last lives and I was so fucking pissed off. Still a fun memory.

I don't even remember if I did the shortcut in the level 2 to go to the end. I talked about it recently with my bro and he tolds me that at that moment we didn't even know about that shortcut.
If it's true I can be proud of my former self
>>
File: sonic-the-hedgehog-usa-europe.png (315KB, 350x503px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-the-hedgehog-usa-europe.png
315KB, 350x503px
>>4121056

This game was built into my sega master system console when i first got it.

also

SMS > NES
>>
>>4121978
>SMS > NES
Fuck off console warrior, nobody cares about your childhood nostalgia.
>>
>>4121980

I also owned a NES faggot. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>4121678
cute stickers anon, CUTE!!
>>
either armor battle or frog bog on intellivision. yea im old.
>>
File: armor battle.png (3KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
armor battle.png
3KB, 320x200px
>>4122000
>>4122000
>>4122000
>>
Flimbos quest on a pack in cart for the C64
>>
>>4121131
this and mario bros
>>
Before 1989 I (or my famiily) couldn't effort a computer, nor was it possible to get one in east Germany without certain connections before the wall came down. Even the GDR home computers like KC84 or KC85 you could hardly find in peoples homes. They usually only could be found in schools for educational purposes. But of course there were a lot of games out for these machines too. Usually clones of western games like Pac Man, Lode runner, Boulder Dash etc.
And of course the first games (hare & wolf, Digger (a boulder dash clone) and some Sokoban clon as well) I played was on those machines in IT-class.

The east german version of Pac Man was called "Hase and Wolf" (hare an wolf) inspired by a russian cartoon going by the same name (original Title Nu Pagadi!/Hy,пoгoди!) and this is the game I fondly remember.
Online Emulator for the home computers of the GDR with lots of software:
http://lanale.de/kc85_emu/KC85_Emu.html

The only east german arcade machine was called Polyplay. And ports of most of the above mentioned games were playable for just 50 east marks. Certainly I played this a lot, but again these machines only could be found in youth camps or at special events. And in one of the youth camps I also played my first round of Pong too. Back than this machine already was outdated.
Online emulator for Polyplay here:
http://polyplay.de/?m1=play

The first game I bought and played for myself maybe around '91/'92 was Sailing for the C64. I bought this tape even before getting the C64 btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4haPmBqvLQ
>>
File: questfortires.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
questfortires.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>4121056
B.C.'s Quest for Tires on my dad's Tandy 1000
>>
>>4122000
Frog Bog was a fucking amazing game.
Should have been remade 16bit
>>
File: Defender_red_label.flyer.png (30KB, 222x280px) Image search: [Google]
Defender_red_label.flyer.png
30KB, 222x280px
>>4121056
Defender in a road side diner. We didn't even have a TV at the time or till I was 11 or so. So it was pretty amazing to me. I'd play every time we went there.
>>
It was Mario, Zelda or Tetris on NES, not sure which was first. Think I played Contra after that.
>>
Mortal kombat on SNES, my dad used to play it when i was probably about a year old.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
And then nothing else for the next five years.
>>
>>4122279
I remember watching Deutschland 83 not too long ago where the stasi were trying to get their hands on a western computer to load some stolen data disks. That was a good show.
>>
>>4122279
Now THIS was an interesting read.
>>
File: 13cc637181f.jpg (131KB, 826x768px) Image search: [Google]
13cc637181f.jpg
131KB, 826x768px
>>4123253
Yes I saw this too.
But I doubt that especially the Stasi didn't have at least one model of every western computers standing around. But I know that some people outside the secret agency managed to get a C64 or even Amiga through the wall somehow. AFAIK Bulgaria was pretty good and far ahead in that case. They even managed to copy the Apple II somehow. And I was told in Hungary the Commodore Plus/4 scene supposed to be huge back then. Maybe some got their computers through some other countries of the eastern block that weren't as strikt as the GDR.

I think back then, the GDR computers indeed were far behind. I still know that they were celebrating the production of an 1 Mbit Memory Chip like a big leap in technology when this was already old news in the rest of the world.
I still remember the puzzled look of the hero of the mentioned show, when the guy saw just a floppy with some data. And afaik those disks (and of course drives as well) were extremely expensive in east germany back in the day. A simple pack of 10 5,25" discs did cost a fortune back than. So at least for the home computers a tape drive (usually a simple one) was the storage medium of choice most of the time. All the recorders in computer class were those in my picture.
And I still remember pretty well how crappy the keyboard was. Those small rubber keys felt just weird and made typing really hard.

The home computers KC84 and KC85 mentioned by me as well as many of the "professional" computers of the GDR were based on the Z80 or a russian Z80 Clon U880.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U880
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC_85
http://www.mpm-kc85.com

And btw. the often used east german database program REDABAS was just a pirated version of dBASE II. As someone told me (I was too young back then) there were some areas of the program where you could still got the original dBASE messages, since they didn't changed all the strings correctly.
>>
>>4121072
this
>>
Rally X. Played it with my sister at a cabinet in a furniture store.
>>
>>4125063
>And I was told in Hungary the Commodore Plus/4 scene supposed to be huge back then.

It was big because it was all that people could afford. The C64 was considered spaceship tier at the time.
>>
>>4121736
There are old NES and SMS games that I was MUCH better at as a kid than I am now as an adult. Back then I had nothing but time to pour hours into getting good, learning enemy patterns, etc that I just don't have now.

Best examples I can think of are Astro Warrior and Outrun for the SMS, and probably Kid Icarus on the NES.
>>
>>4125063
And speaking of the first gaming experience.
I still remember pretty well when I attended the last "Pioniertreffen" (a big gathering of something like the east german boy scouts, which of course were very political) in "Karl-Marx-Town" (now Chemnitz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsFRC_sp5Cw
(3:13)

I got in trouble since I couldn't unglue especially from the computers (and of course games) and programming projects that were on display by various groups of the two east german youth organizations (again the mentioned "Jungpioniere" and the FDJ (free german youth) for the older kids), so the caregiver had to look for me quite often. And of course I played the Polyplay-Arcade too, wasting lots of 50 Pfennigs.
And on a side note this was also the first time I ate french fries.
>>
File: pc-43590-41336183683.jpg (84KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
pc-43590-41336183683.jpg
84KB, 544x400px
Either Microman or DKC, I think Microman was first. Either way I was like 4 or 5.
>>
File: mario_kart_zoom.jpg (98KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
mario_kart_zoom.jpg
98KB, 1024x683px
>>4121056
exactly this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c4EMgt8zqM
>>
The earlier game I can remember is someone playing SMB3 at the daycare I went to.

I can also vaguely recall an old Donkey Kong cabinet, but I don't remember if it was before or after me seeing SMB3 or how close.
>>
File: super_mario_bros.0.png (135KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
super_mario_bros.0.png
135KB, 1600x900px
My first was Super Mario Bros. My parents paid my cousin $30 for the system and the game back in 1994. Hell of a deal for the time.My cousin was way into the Genesis does what nintendon't bull.
>>
>>4121056
This right here.

Somewhere around 1988/1989. Was around 6 years old. Friend from next door comes home from shopping with his mom. Tells me he got something called a "Nintendo." Shortly after I see Mario for the first time and instantly I'm addicted.
I spent so much time next door, my parents finally got me one of my own.

I often wonder what life would have been like had that day not occurred.
>>
>>4125584
>I often wonder what life would have been like had that day not occurred.
You would have encountered video games one way or another.
I also remember spending the whole summer of 1992 with my neighbors playing NES: SMB3, TMNT III, Contra, Tetris, etc.
>>
>>4121148
this for me too and one of those racing games for similar device
>>
Literally pong. Didn't much care for it even back then though. The first game I actually enjoyed playing was Ladybug on a Colecovision.
>>
File: Combat atari.jpg (86KB, 300x405px) Image search: [Google]
Combat atari.jpg
86KB, 300x405px
Combat on Atari 2600
>>
I dunno, probably something on a PC.
I don't remember my early years that well.
>>
Contra, Guerrilla Wars, Kung Fu, Legend of Kage..
>>
>>4128030
Had this all in a Family (Famicom) cartridge, along with the Goonies, City Connection, Mappy, Air ye kung fu, Circus Charlie, and much more.
>>
>>4121056
Any reason Luigi looks at the camera the second time the lights comes on?
>>
File: mariobros.jpg (446KB, 1532x2100px) Image search: [Google]
mariobros.jpg
446KB, 1532x2100px
I feel like it is this but I really can't be sure.
>>
Circus Charlie for a famiclone.
>>
File: commander-keen-4-ss1.gif (13KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
commander-keen-4-ss1.gif
13KB, 320x200px
PC master race!
>>
Kirby Dream Land 3. That shit is still comfy
>>
Must have been arcade. About 86 or 87.
Might have been space invaders, more likely it was galaga.

For consoles it would have 87 or 88. Game was probably excitebike, or SMB.
>>
File: Rayman-brain-games.jpg (73KB, 403x400px) Image search: [Google]
Rayman-brain-games.jpg
73KB, 403x400px
memories of my mom walking into my living room while i was sitting on the floor watching tv and her saying something like "i got you this new game anon." and her handing it to me. im only 21 so i grew up on the first playstation so i had to be only a few years old but i remember playing this a lot. very first gaming memories.
>>
File: frogger2600Screen.jpg (57KB, 900x573px) Image search: [Google]
frogger2600Screen.jpg
57KB, 900x573px
>>
>>4121056
Sea Raider. I was not inspired to pick up and play. It weighs several hundred pounds.
>>
File: wolf3d.png (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
wolf3d.png
82KB, 640x480px
This here.
When I was a kid I would visit my uncle and aunt in another country every summer and stay for some time. My uncle had it on his Amiga I think.
I played the shit out of it.
>>
File: pegasus-12-9-14-3.jpg (70KB, 542x401px) Image search: [Google]
pegasus-12-9-14-3.jpg
70KB, 542x401px
>live in East-Yurop behind Iron Curtain
>due to connections and bribes finally my family gets permit to leave the country and visit family in Germany
>cousin has a NES
>first time I see vidya
>back in our country
>months later
>Christmas-Time
>mum tells me to write letter to Santa in November
>write long letter to Santa asking him for a Nintendo, describing how it looks and how it works etc
>its christmas eve
>there is a big present under the tree
>oh shit oh shit oh shit
>it turns out to be PIC RELATED

In hindsight it wasn't that bad of a replacement, I had one cartridge with nearly a 100 classic NES games.

I think the first game I played was either Contra or Ice Climbers
>>
This is a stretch but I'd be surprised if anyone remembered. It was an old handheld Ghostbusters game. Or at least I think it was. If I remember for some reason you were spraying poison on plants or some shit. I don't remember if it was it's own handheld device but I think it was. God damn what game was that
>>
File: keen4title.gif (13KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
keen4title.gif
13KB, 320x200px
would love to play it again!
>>
File: tradeministercup.jpg (306KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
tradeministercup.jpg
306KB, 800x449px
>>4129986
warmed my fuckin cockles, slavbro
>>
either alex kidd for sega master system, tetris handheld clone or gakken pac monster.
>>
>>4130458
this one specifically.
>>
File: lotus_esprit_turbo_challenge-2.gif (11KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
lotus_esprit_turbo_challenge-2.gif
11KB, 320x200px
Lotus Turbo Challenge on the Atari St fm 520
>>
>>4121056
Spyro the dragon, it was the very first game I ever played..or at least remember playing, I'd just sit in my step brothers room, playing the purple dragon. And collecting gems I could find with my inferior child mind.
>>
Streets of Rage 2

Amazing first choice of a video game.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.