[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1CC General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

File: 0000.png (20KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
20KB, 320x224px
Let's talk about getting one credit clears in retro vidya. Any projects you guys working on at the moment?

I finally got a 1CC on E-Swat just a few minutes ago. The game is indeed easier than a lot of arcade games, but I just could not get it going.

I'm also working on Final Fight and The Punisher. In Final Fight, the farthest I've gotten on one credit was stage 5. It's rough, but I think with enough practice, I will nail it soon.
>>
File: BlackTigerArt.png (1MB, 723x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BlackTigerArt.png
1MB, 723x1000px
I cleared Black Tiger the other day which was grand. I'm not 100% consistent on it though.

I have taken up Gate of Doom but it is very difficult, I don;t know if I'll manage it. I cannot get past stage 3 and struggle badly on the boss of stage 2.
>>
>>4119620
Black Tiger is something else I'm working on, albeit on and off. Stage 4 and 5 are where I start to have trouble. Luckily, you can go pretty far in BT by memorization, so I know I can get it eventually.
>>
>>4119640
Did you try black dragon? I heard it's easier.
>>
>>4119612
I beat Vs Super Mario Bros just once at my local arcade. Unfortunately they shut down the machines at night so my epic high score wasn't saved. I haven't been able to beat the machine since but I've done it loads of times on my home PC
>>
>>4119646
I've played it. The only difference I know of is that one version has less falling rocks in it, and I can't remember which one it is.
>>
>>4119724
The level lay out on one of the later stages is different, too.

And I think it has more falling rocks.
>>
I've been meaning to 1CC sunset riders, metal slug, and puzzle bobble but I've been putting it off for so long.
>>
File: Black Tiger.jpg (75KB, 525x640px) Image search: [Google]
Black Tiger.jpg
75KB, 525x640px
>>4119646
>>4119735
>>4119724

Right, I have played Black Dragon and it is certainly the harder version of the game. Some of the key differences are:

>More falling boulders
>Some enemy placement altered
>More enemies (several more devils were noted, so more coin, there.
>Mummies come from more areas than in Black Tiger.
>Mummies seem to be able to do a sudden charge that ignores hitstun, but I only saw it once and it might have been me missing my timing. Still, makes me nervous.
>Tougher opponents seemed to be more likely to appear in pots. Living stones for example appear from pots earlier.
>Price of second weapon upgrade doubled

That last point is a key difference as instead of being able to afford the trident flail at the beginning of stage 4 you'll likely have to fight through a deal of the stage without it. All the other prices are unchanged but it really sets you back; not even the additional high-value monsters offset the extra coin needed.
>>
Dark Seal mother fuckers
>>
>>4119861
Oh god, help.

I've been working on that under the title Gate of Doom but I'm naff at it. Just can't get it going, man.

What's the technique against the second boss? I can get all the way up there without being hit sometimes but as soon as that abomination shows up it gets real dicey.
>>
Not all of them are retro but these are my 1ccs:

Deathsmiles
Donpachi
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
Mushihimesams Futari Black Label

Donpachi was probably the hardest, a lot of memorization going on there. I don't play these bullet hell games anymore. In the time it takes to clear one of these one can easily clear several SNES games. It's just not worth it.
>>
File: 1453758307733.jpg (409KB, 1000x1190px) Image search: [Google]
1453758307733.jpg
409KB, 1000x1190px
>>4119891
>It's just not worth it.

Especially alone in your house without the buzz of an arcade around you. I miss yonder days, as all of us do I'll wager.
>>
>>4119926

Oh yes. Playing in an arcade would really motivate me to keep playing, if just for the bragging rights after clearing a game. Sadly arcades were never a thing here in Germany.
>>
File: outrun-431.jpg (39KB, 431x300px) Image search: [Google]
outrun-431.jpg
39KB, 431x300px
Only arcade game I've ever 1cc was Outrun. Granted you can only 1cc if you want to beat it ;). Seen every ending tho.
>>
I'm trying to 1CC R-Type, there's a machine at a bar near to me. It's driving me insane - I can do it on my MAME cab at home, but every time I've attempted it on the real cab I've choked. Shameful shit.

Even worse I've had weird stuff happen on the real machine, like the time I was playing the sixth level (one with the giant worms) and had a bizarre bug where corrupted parts of the boss from the fifth level at the top and bottom of the screen made a narrow corridor that I was stuck playing in (I could see my shots impacting it so could tell it would have collision). I managed to tough it out halfway through the level until I eventually collided with them.

If you haven't played R-Type then you should know you basically HAVE to play it perfectly without dying. It's actually not that hard a game to 1CC, but if you fuck up past about level 4 you will be at an enormous disadvantage and be unlikely to finish the game, and if you die on the last level I think you will literally be unable to complete it.

I've played it on and off casually for like 25 years now, but it only took me a week of serious playing to finally learn it well enough to 1CC. I just keep fucking up doing it in public!
>>
Cleared Twin cobra 2 on the first credit recently, maybe a good option for beginners although not the most exciting game out there
>>
>>4119962
Renegade was similarly my first 1CC, since you can't continue.
>>
>>4119612
Are you LordBBH from twitch?
>>
>>4120034
I don't like how in R-Type how hard it is to get the bits. You can get them in level 1, 4 and 7. That's it.

PC Engine version is also a bit annoying, because of flicker and an extra boss in Stage 6
>>
>>4121261
add to this, I can get to Stage 6 on a credit, sometimes stage 7, but it's just not fucking worth it
>>
>>4121250
No, but I watch his streams all the time.
>>
>>4121250
What would even make you think that?
>>
>>4121308
He was trying to 1CC E-Swat about a week ago. He was getting close but I don't think he made it.
>>
>>4121385
He was trying to 1CC E-Swat on hardest with the timer on the fastest setting.

He did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGOGAEe3qI
>>
>>4121419
nice
>>
>>4121419
BBH is legit overall.
>>
Was thinking of doing Rolling Thunder 2 arcade. Anyone done that before?
>>
>>4119612
Going for 1ccs feels like one of the most boring things on earth to me. Maybe if I used emulators to break it down to practice individual levels first. But playing the same first stages of a game over and over to get to practice on later stages feels like I'm having the life sucked out of me it's so boring.

Across the board if I play a stage in a video game and do it just about perfect then with very rare exception do I want to play it much after that. Once I know it that well most of the fun of learning is gone and the game is boring.

I think it's cool there are people out there who love that practice till perfect type of play though.
>>
>>4122359
Going for 1CCs is really no different than playing NES/SNES/Genesis games with limited continues.

That's how I always view it.
>>
I've tried many but I suck so it's usually impossible

I've done Space Harrier a couple of times, and seen all the Outrun endings

I can 1cc Splatterhouse very consistently but it's not that hard

Everything else I suck at
>>
>>4122359
Then 1cc easy games you nerd, long grinding just is required for the harder games. And you should use continues to practice the later stages
>>
>>4122359
>Once I know it that well most of the fun of learning is gone and the game is boring.
Learning is one thing, executing properly and consistently is another one. And 1cc is far from a "perfect play" really, it requires some effort but people tend to exaggerate it a bit
>>
>>4122359
Same, I just paly for fun and try to beat my personal records, I always finish every run.
>>
>>4122381
I agree, but if I beat a game and use 4 continues through the course of it, unless I love the game like crazy I have no real desire to go back and try to do it in less than 4. I'd rather just move on to something new at that point. That's all I'm really saying.

>>4122408
An easy game would be even worse for me. What I like is learning the challenges of the game. The issue is having to replay what I find boring. If the game is easy from the start it's already boring.

>>4122418
>Learning is one thing, executing properly and consistently is another one.

Ohh I totally get that, it's just that when I play games I come for the learning. To me that's the fun part, I'm just not interested in practicing to get perfectly consistent execution.
>>
>>4122446
1CC doesn't mean perfection. You're thinking of 1LC/No Miss.
>>
>>4122651
I know there's a difference. Both are boring goals to me.
>>
>>4122386
How do you not 1cc Outrun?
>>
File: choanikisaturn.jpg (112KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
choanikisaturn.jpg
112KB, 640x635px
Working on sucking less at this game. People bitch about its difficulty on the internet but I think that's just people parroting HCG101's opinion because it's really not so bad. If you get hit too much or use too many special attacks you can screw yourself over, but once you figure that out I find it much easier than other shmups on the system
>>
>>4122971
This is unironically pretty neat, you do Fighting game motions to fire weapons and shit.
>>
File: nightslashers-flyer2.jpg (276KB, 850x1196px) Image search: [Google]
nightslashers-flyer2.jpg
276KB, 850x1196px
Soon
>>
>>4122446
I can respect that.
>>
>>4121264
I hate stage 6. It was the biggest brick wall for me. There's zero room for reactive playing, you must know it 100% and perform everything perfectly or you'll get fucked by some un avoidable instant death trap. Even the music sucks!
>>
>>4119860
that's one joocy booty
>>
>>4121264
You can do it anon. Stage 6 is by far the hardest part of the game. Watch a video of someone clearing stage 7. I found it to be fairly easy after memorizing the route. In stage 8 you only need to move like twice. Make sure to hold left on the final boss to move your bits slightly forward. I died once from an enemy getting me diagonally by going just under the top bit because I wasn't holding left.
>>
>>4123502
Yeah, the worst part is I CAN do it, I just keep fucking it up when it's game time. This level also really shows up how weird your ship's hitboxes are, the most common deaths I get are from those little microchip things. They often fire at you from odd angles, and I've died loads of times from shots that I didn't bother avoiding as they passed about an inch behind me - yet somehow they killed me.

Level 7 I find pretty easy and just a fun level in general, although embarrassingly it took me a few goes to realise it was the exploding background scenery killing me in a few places

I know how about holding left on the last level, although I actually completed it twice before knowing this without issue. Better safe than sorry!
>>
File: Screenshot_20170716-233314.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170716-233314.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>4124383
It's so hard to overcome nerves in shmups. Knowing all the different ways things can go wrong makes it so much more stressful too. I don't have much advice for the microchips but for the part in pic related I'd often be killed by one of the 2 in the tunnel on the right, usually the bottom one. I started waiting at where the ship is in the pic until the microchips fire, and then quickly fly through the tunnel. It seemed consistent. Also I think I had my force pod in front of me because I remember my lasers taking out the top one early.
>>
File: piweahvg.jpg (24KB, 370x228px) Image search: [Google]
piweahvg.jpg
24KB, 370x228px
>>4124383
Protip for Gradius and R-Type players (applies to both series)
>>
File: 1497602796982.jpg (191KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497602796982.jpg
191KB, 500x500px
What are some babby's first 1CCs? I suck at video games.
>>
>>4127027
Edward Randy
>>
>>4127027
see >>4120370
>>
>>4126343
Oooh I see.
>>
>>4124383
iktf

I can 1cc every level, but not the whole game.

>>4127027
Splatterhouse, Double Dragon (use elbow), Golden Axe maybe
>>
>>4127027
Batsugun Special just stop after the first loop
>>
>>4126320
I usually do this bit differently. I generally have the yellow wall following laser and keep it on the front. As long as I use that and keep pace with big ships that go past to kill them then I will get a clear shot that will follow the walls down to the two chips on the right. Then I just wait as late as possible at the position in your picture to move down and on to the next bit and that leaves me with only a few seconds during which the one behind me has a chance to fire.
>>
>>4127029
>>4127113
>>4127137
Thanks, I'll check them out.

>>4127139
I already 1CCed the first loop of Batsuguun SP once after trying a lot
>>
>>4127140
That's a better strategy than what I was doing. I remember getting shot down by the one from behind.
>>
File: WardnerArcadeScreen1.png (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
WardnerArcadeScreen1.png
19KB, 320x240px
>>4127027
Wardner!
>>
>>4127027
Eswat
Renegade

Both games are really short and easy to learn.
>>
>>4119612

The only game I've gotten a 1cc on is Guardians/Denjin Makai 2. Right now, I'm working on Metal Slug 3. It's hard, but I'm slowly making progress. My best shot so far has been getting to level 4 with only one death.

Definitely wouldn't have been possible without save states to practice certain parts.
>>
File: IMG_6102.png (49KB, 250x193px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6102.png
49KB, 250x193px
>>4127329
Learning R-Type with no save states on one quarter per try sounds like the most awful thing ever
>>
>>4127561
I played it on R-Type Dimensions so I had to learn it that way. There's a stage select but it starts you with no upgrades.
>>
>>4127561

Yeah, shoot em ups and bullet hell type games, I just don't have the patience for anymore. With other genres, I feel like I can apply my knowledge to the whole game, but for those it feels like just rout memorization.
>>
>>4127027
Contra is like 10 minutes long.
>>
>>4129373
So is Super hang on expert
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.