[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the first 3D game to blow your mind away?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

File: mind=blown.jpg (55KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
mind=blown.jpg
55KB, 800x450px
What was the first 3D game to blow your mind away?
>>
Ocarina of Time
>>
>>4118818

Panzer Dragoon. First truly 3D game I played. The next one was Mario 64.
>>
Probably Mario 64.
>>
>>4118818
Soul Blade.
>>
>>4118818
starfox
>>
Daytona USA and Tekken 1
>>
VF3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBCn5hfOJQ
>>
>>4118818
Duke Nukem 3d.
>>
>>4118868
Quality post.
Virtua Racing for me.
>>
>>4118818
Resident Evil
>>
>>4118818
Unreal Tournament
>>
Descent

Really fucked up my sense of direction.
>>
>>4118818
Gran Turismo 3
>>
File: voyagedhermes_moebius_03-copy.jpg (419KB, 1600x897px) Image search: [Google]
voyagedhermes_moebius_03-copy.jpg
419KB, 1600x897px
Doom in 1993.

One of the few times I remember wondering how the graphics could possibly be that amazing. I had played Wolf3D before then, but Doom was an unbelievable step forward.
>>
>>4118818
Myst if it counts. Then, it was Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.
>>
I dont know, but it had to be one on PC, I played consoles as well but the first 3D game that blew me away?

Uhh... probably Wing Commander 3 was the first one that made an impression but I had already been playing PC since the early nineties, maybe I was just used to 3D games be it PC or console.
>>
Hard Drivin'
>>
>>4118880

This right here. Descent was the shit.
>>
>>4118818
Dactyl Nightmare.

I figured that was the future of video games.
>>
File: FlyingMarioHead.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
FlyingMarioHead.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>4118818
>>4118823

Mario 64. I was only 7 when it came out. I saw Mario's face on display at a toy store and jizzed my little boy shorts.
>>
I'll be completely honest here.
The first videogame I ever saw was Alex Kidd in miracle world , followed by Sonic 2... On the Master system.
Soon after I saw my first 3D videogame, Tomb Raider 1 on the PC, and I remember vividly being intrigued but accepting, as if 3D games were just past for the course. Like "oh, this 3D game is just as important and valid as Alex Kidd." In the most nonchalant manner I could mister as a brown-nosed 7-year old.
This coming from a guy who didn't even know what a super Nintendo was until he was 16.
Maybe that's why I like retro games so much. To me they're just as playable, enjoyable and valid as graphically intensive 3D stuff of yesteryear.

That said, the game whose graphics REALLY excited me when I first saw it was... FF6.

On the PSX.
>>
probably bloody roar for ps1
>>
Mario 64. It was such a cool proof of concept. A nice tech demo. It hasn't aged very well though, it's great for speed runners, but there's nothing very fun about the missions themselves.

I'm glad it all lead up to Galaxy. I hope "returning to the sandbox style" for Odyssey isn't going to mean missions as weak as 64.
>>
File: sonic_the_hedgehog_2_display.jpg (31KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
sonic_the_hedgehog_2_display.jpg
31KB, 650x366px
>>4118818
Not even real 3d. But I was still like woah.
>>
>>4119029
The S3 special stages were like that for me. Shit was mindblowing.
>>
S.T.U.N. Runner arcade
>>
Super Mario 64.

I had played games like Alone in the Dark, Magic Carpet on PC, or Jumping Flash and Tekken on Playstation, but SM64 just blew my mind away, it was on another level.
>>
>>4118818
The game itself isn't 3D, but the Oddworld cutscenes absolutely blew me away.
>>
>>4118818
Star Fox made me dream with it's flying rings and airwings.
>>
>>4118862
"Those alien assholes are going to pay for shooting up my ride."

The first cursing I ever heard in a video game.
>>
It was Doom. You cannot fathom the effect of that game on a kid that only knew about Atari 2600 and NES graphics. It was so realistic, so immersive. You play from the point of view of your character and gets to move and look around like you are him. I found this to be the coolest thing ever
>>
Shenmue
>>
>>4118818
Super Mario 64

And playing Modern Warfare on an Xbox 360 when it was new.
>>
>>4118818
I think it was either lego island 2 or Robotech Crystal dreams
>>
>>4119027
Mario 64 is still fun after all these years. I don't know what you're talking about man.
>>
>>4119550
That's really cute. Unless this was after being a child, then never mind.
>>
Resident Evil 4

3D is shit
>>
>>4118818
The first Crash game, I guess.
>>
>>4119613
Not retro, summerfag
>>
>>4118818

Sonic Adventure at a toy store kiosk. Emerald Coast seemed like such a leap from Mario 64.
>>
I am gonna throw out some more obscure ones specifically Battle Arena Toshinden, seriously. That and jumping flash were awesome. On the few occasions we rented a PS1 when it first came out.

Mario 64 was another one, and NiGHTs.
>>
File: pc-52208-21444862203.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pc-52208-21444862203.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
Time Commando for PC, 96.
>>
>>4119483
Well all those other games save for maybe jumping flash didn't rrally DO 3d. as in fully tackle it and build the entire game from that concept. That's why Mario 64 and OOT were big deals. Yeah they didn't have the cool texture maps but in terms of what to actually do with a able in a 3d engine they schooled everyone. Before that, 3d games were fucking weird. I really like them now looking back but God so many were such messes.
>>
File: perfect.gif (370KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
perfect.gif
370KB, 320x240px
>>4118818
Though it only sorta-counts, Killer Instinct. The "real time" FMV backdrops, particle storms bouncing around, dramatic scaling, and huge prerendered sprites made it look like a playable CG movie. It blew my 11 year old mind.
>>
Mario 64, but not so much for the visuals.
It was the little things like the sensitive variable speed, the pitter patter of Mario's feet that changed with his relative speed and the surfaces he was on, and so forth.
Visually, I am still more impressed by isometric prerenders like SMRPG.
It's just a really appealing and detailed textural style.
32 and 64 bit textures make everything feel like cheesy Virtual Reality from the late 80s. Everything is flat cardboard origami.
Hard to get immersion with Origami Land.
I suppose if I have to say I was awed by 3d graphics in and of themselves, it would have been some PS2 game, which I didn't get to play any of until like 2002, because everyone had Dreamcast or N64 that I knew until that time.
Probably either Devil May Cry or like, GTA3.

I remember asking my parents to just buy me cheap SNES games for christmas after I saw PS1 and N64 games, because everything looked like fucking Lego people to me, and I at the time would rather have a lot of quality 2D than a few 3D, and I still feel that was the best course, as at the time I had only seen stuff like Mario 64, Twisted Metal and maybe Metal Gear Solid, and bunch of FPS and Racing games.
Personally, I enjoyed the mastery of 16bit and the economy of price that came with the mid 90s.
>>
Honestly, Luigi's Mansion.

Sure the N64 was awesome, and playing my first 3D game was incredible, but when I got into video games as a kid 3D graphics weren't some mystical new thing, I was well aware of both 2D and 3D graphics.

When the Gamecube came out, however, I couldn't believe the improvement over the N64's graphics. It had never even occured in my mind that new consoles would come out and improve game graphics. Before the Gamecube I was a naive little kid that thought graphics would look like SNES and N64 forever, so that first time loading up Luigi's Mansion was mind blowing.
>>
The first 3d game that blew me away was actually the first 3d game i ever seen, way back in about 1988, i cant remember its name but it was a pack in game for pcs in our school, looked like a early starfox, it looked so epic and polygonal.....the good old days, post its name, 10 points to the right answer
>>
>>4118862
This

and it wasn't even real 3D
>>
>>4119737
although since I'm talking about "not real 3D", I have to say the first was probably Block Out, a "3D" Tetris my father played on a 086.
I was 4 or 5 years olds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-HePrAhrHU
>>
Disregarding the talk about "real 3D", I'd have to say it was Wolfenstein 3D. I was really fascinated and somewhat obsessed with it as I saw my uncle play it. After that, and in real 3D this time, I guess it was the original Crash Bandicoot.
>>
>>4119738
My mother used to be addicted to this game. She played it way into the 2000's.
As for what blew my mind, as weird as it sounds, Tekken 2. I was really impressed by the prerender backgrounds and the way the game handled shadows and stuff.
>>
File: me_irl.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
me_irl.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Soul Blade on the PS1, I think (I mean the in-game graphics, not the FMV) I remember I just thought real time graphics could never possibly improve beyond that point
>>
>>4119746
Yeah, that and Pinball games like Pinball Mania and Pinball Fantasies my parents couldn't drop for years.
>>
>>4118818
Panzer Dragoon
>>
File: kula world.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kula world.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>4118818
Kula World
>>
>>4119737
Duke Nukem has all three axis involved in play, making it more 3D than Doom.
>>
Ocarina of Time
>>
File: 2108_dbs1.png (35KB, 640x256px) Image search: [Google]
2108_dbs1.png
35KB, 640x256px
>>
File: DSC00038.jpg (132KB, 1023x767px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00038.jpg
132KB, 1023x767px
>>4118869
I remember thinking the pit crew looked real
>>
>>4118818
tekken 3
>>
Hexen
>>
3d demon was pretty mind blowing
>>
>>4118818
Wolfenstein 3-D
>>
>>4118919
Same with me. Saw the shareware version on demo mode at the computer store and was blown away. I had played Wolfenstein 3D to death before that but DOOM was amazing looking.
>>
>>4118818
>>4118818
mARIO 64
>>
Crash Bandicoot. I played the same demo level on a sampler disc probably 500 times.
>>
GTA 3

I've played many 3d games before as they came out and many of them impressed me visually. Doom was really close to it, I couldn't believe how... alive everything seemed. Quake 2 as well.
But GTA 3 was the first time I saw 3d used to present a believable present day humanoid space. Not a maze, a box factory, or a small carefully constructed level - but an actual believable space. That was the point I realized that 3d isn't only a graphical improvement, but a way to make entirely different games.

For what it's worth, the same thing happened when I went from standard infocom games to AMFV. Suddenly there was an actual world I couuld sink my teeth into.
I'm sure there are other games that came before GTA 3 - Shenmue comes to mind - but GTA 3 was the first for me.
>>
Donkey Kong Country
>>
>>4119593

I guess I'm just able to look past the nostalgia. There's a few good levels but they're like 10% of the game and they don't really require skill, just walking around and going to the right spots, maybe pounding a switch. It's all pretty boring shit.

It's not a bad game it's just a good proof of concept, people who grew up with it fell in love, and speed runners jizz over it, but it's a pretty lame Mario game.
>>
>>4120164
Yeah, I still remember being blown away by the original Star Wars coin -op and later games like Starglider etc. 80s 3D had some real milestones
>>
>>4121048
Zarch on the Acorn Archimedes in 87 was the first example I saw of 32 bit polys. Amazing at the time
>>
File: Jolly_Roger_Bay.jpg (1MB, 1920x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Jolly_Roger_Bay.jpg
1MB, 1920x1008px
Mario 64
>>
Arcade Ridge Racer
Even as a massive games obsessive as a kid, I was still unprepared and this thing was like the fucking obelisk from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
>>
>>4118818
Probably the arcade game S.T.U.N. Runner. Used to play it as a kid whenever we'd go to this bar and restaurant near where I lived. It came out in 1989, and I was five then. So by the time I was playing it it probably wasn't too long after, very early 90s mostly likely but I might have seen/played it new. Can't remember.
>>
>>4121403
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6CPtjyr19M

If you were a little kid in the late 80s or early 90s like me and all you were used to was NES, you'd think this was pretty rad.
>>
>>4121405
It was the closest thing I'd ever seen to the movie TRON.
>>
Mechwarrior 4

1994, for you youngfucks
>>
>>4118818

Wolfenstein 3D. Changed my life.
>>
Super Mario Sunshine. The water even too this day looks so realistic. And the N64 even though my first 3D console didn't blow me away.
>>
>born before the 5th gen came out but too young to be impressed
For some reason though I was impressed the first and only time I played on a Genesis, I got to play a sonic game that had pseudo 3D effects and all I could thing about was "holy shit this is so much more advanced than the super", even though I had played shit like Star Fox and DKC.
What blew me the fuck away for real was the gamecube and some of its early titles, for some reason the early games looked like they had so much better graphics than anything else at the time and the jump from smash64 to melee was so huge that I thought we had reached the apex of graphics technology, they just couldn't possibly get better than this, like holy shit, Yoshi's snout was so perfectly round and shiny.
>>
Mario 64

I'd played a few 3D games before it, Doom, Alien Vs Predator and Cybermorph on Jaguar. Mario 64 was the first one that really felt like you were moving around in a real physical space..
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1w37DNPHg

ps1fags will never know this feel
>>
File: HITLER1.gif (15KB, 306x154px) Image search: [Google]
HITLER1.gif
15KB, 306x154px
>>4121417
This.
>>
File: Msfs1.00_000.png (13KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Msfs1.00_000.png
13KB, 640x400px
>>4118818
>>4118818
I assume you mean blown away by it's 3Dness, not blown away by the game itself that just happens to be 3D.

For me was MS Flight Simulator. Doesn't look like much now, but back then, holy shit.

Next to that, no joke probably Just Cause 2.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (26KB, 719x536px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
26KB, 719x536px
The playable demos of Wipeout and Destruction Derby on Demo1, especially when played in cockpit view.
Going from Micro Machines, Super Hang-On, etc. on the Mega Drive to playing those PSX games was wild.
>>
>>4118919
>>4120238
I remember my English teacher at the time giving me his copy of the doom shareware version, what a cool motherfucker. I was utterly blown away by the game at the time and still play it to this day (just recently finished Final Doom, after all these years).

I think Doom 2 was the first game I ever bought with my own money, either that or Sensible Soccer. Ah, good times...
>>
Half-Life. At the time it felt like a replica of the real world instead of a "game world"
>>
>>4118818

Mario 64, I literally couldn't understand what I was looking at at first.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.