[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I first discovered emulators, I was slightly taken aback

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

When I first discovered emulators, I was slightly taken aback by how raw and sharp the pixels looked - I was simply used to seeing what was probably a blurred image on my SNES. Is the consensus here that sharper = better? I was interested in RGB cables for my SNES for richer colour; do they still maintain any desirable softness copared to emulation?
>>
>>4117973
You're talking to a board that has fetishized lower image quality, don't expect a sensible answer.
>>
>>4117985
Playing older games at a lower resolution is actually pretty sensible since it was what was available at the time, and is how the developers intended the final product to look.

If you're into sharp pixels, use a flat screen tv or whatever you want to do, but to my eyes a game like Donkey Kong Country just looks shittier with improved graphical fidelity. The blur definitely smooths out the rough edges.
>>
>>4117996
don't some snes's use a low pass filter? do they still look good on a flatscreen?
>>
>>4117996
If all you're interested in is the "authentic" experience then sure, but picture quality and resolution are limitations of time and technology. If the developers could have given you better picture quality with no tradeoffs, then it would be insanity to insist that they would rather have you play at a lower quality.

It's not like they said "the only real way to play this game is at 240p" when they released it.
>>
>>4118003
>yeah well if better picture quality existed at that time you'd prefer it

What is your point here, nerd? Seriously, fire up dkc on a flat screen and on a crt and tell me that it doesn't look like you're viewing the screen through a fucking glass brick on the flat screen. You can barely even make out what's going on with those digitized sprites.
>>
>>4117973

When I first used emulators I was using a CRT monitor for my PC so I didn't notice any difference.
>>
>>4117973
I remember using the zsnes emulator for snes back in the day, and I had a period I just had to use interpolation or that eagle thingy to blend pixels, I thought it was super cool.

If I played now I'd probably have just the pixels. But the biggest difference was when I figured out how to have transparencies in zsnes, suddenly a lot of games made much more sense.
>>
>>4117973
>Is the consensus here that sharper = better?
Nope
>do they still maintain any desirable softness copared to emulation?
Depends on your screen. RGB is generally fantastic but Sony CRT's are too sharp.
>>
>>4119824
This I prefer Philips tubes over Trinitron.
>>
>>4117973
No,

Most retro gamers I know prefer to play on a common CRT with composite/RF signals. (me included).

There are also the RGB guys, that like sharp pixel but CRT monitor feel.

There is no "right way", but to play in a CRT TV and composite cables is the way the developers intended you to play.

Genesis Aladin's designer said that himself, and even said that someone should develop a software to simulate CRTs.
>>
>>4117973
I emulate either w my pi3 in my room through a Zenith CRT, or w my laptop in the living room on my 32" LED hdtv, and fiddle w different filters according to the game and system. Mostly either bilinear interpolation or a reasonable NTSC scanline affair.
Although GameCube and even PS1 games seem fine w/o filtration.

(inb4 input lag meme, which is a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT, CIA NIGGER CATTLE.)
>>
>>4117973
>When
When?
>>
>>4119832
>Genesis Aladin's designer said that himself, and even said that someone should develop a software to simulate CRTs.
(citation needed)
>>
>>4119832
>Most retro gamers I know prefer to play on a common CRT with composite/RF signals. (me included).
>There are also the RGB guys, that like sharp pixel but CRT monitor feel.
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

PLEASE STOP 'MURRICA
>>
>>4119925
>he hasn't seen the video

It was pretty interesting. I watched the whole thing. No, I don't remember when this subject came up because it's been a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A
>>
If you wanted maximum sharpness, would you go for a snes jr. or a 1chip03 regular snes?
>>
>>4119832

You can't say the developers had composite only in mind when they built the consoles with rgb out and the Euro market had SCART.
>>
>>4119959
That was the guy who did Lion King, not Aladdin. Aladdin was done by Dave Perry. He makes a good point though.
>>
>>4119969
An original SHVC-CPU-01 2CHIP Super Famicom is the best Super Famicom around.
>>
>>4121949
Anon wants sharpness though so butt out tripfag
>>
When I was a kid I was blown the fuck away by the awesome clarity, literally thinking SO THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. Not what was on my shitty little TV. Never ever touched a filter and never will.
>>
>>4117973

When you enlarge something intended for 240p up to 1080p, expect some big-ass pixels. If you need that CRT look, and you don't have the genuine hardware, you can use a shader. Some look great, most look like shit, and most add unnecessary lag. But a few are decent.
>>
>>4117973
S Video is a happy medium
>>
>>4121949
That doesn't answer my question, SNES_Is_Best
>>
>>4123109
Listen to this person.
>>
>>4119969
I believe the SNES Jr. is technically the best, but you have to mod back in RGB and S-video support.
>>
>>4119832
How do you know the developers intended for you to use composite if the console supports RGB?
>>
>>4123810
Because there is a waterfall in Sonic that uses it for transparency. I propose we ban all RGB cables and mods for this reason.
>>
>>4123853
I hated that shit even as a kid. It didn't look like a neat effect, it looked like my TV was malfunctioning.
>>
>>4123853
>le ebik used for transparency maymay
Kids these days
>>
>>4118013
lmao the mental gymnastics of this man
>>
>>4120053

Developer did NOT have Europe and scary rgb in mind. Squished screen, 5/6 speed, they didn't give a fuck about euorpoor
>>
>>4117973
Japanese original s-video cables and a crt tv
>>
>>4123853
>I propose we ban all RGB cables and mods for this reason.

Take it easy, Herr Anon. You can enjoy your Composite while I get to enjoy my Component. One does not invalidate the other.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.