[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I better off playing the n64 zeldas on the 64 or the 3ds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5276.png (831KB, 968x1090px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5276.png
831KB, 968x1090px
Am I better off playing the n64 zeldas on the 64 or the 3ds?
>>
>>4115736
Whatever you prefer.
>>
3DS if you want better graphics and smoother animations
N64 if you want the original Easter eggs, and with the first version of the cartridge, the original Fire Temple music, original block and mirror shield symbols, and red blood at a certain part where they changed to green in later versions.
>>
>>4115736
OoT is pretty much the same on both systems. The 3DS version runs a bit better so there's that at least.

Majora's Mask is a bit more of a mixed bag, it makes some pretty big changes to the gameplay both good (more control over time so you're not spending half your playthrough waiting around) and bad (all the bosses now have big generic Zelda boss eyes you smack three times, Zora swimming is worse). Then there's the changes to the graphics which arguably has a negative impact on the atmosphere, but it's up to you how much that affects you.
>>
OOT is fine on 3DS. Lots of the changes to the item system, aiming with the slingshot/bow, etc. were desperately needed if you look at the game without nostalgia goggles on. Plus it runs at 30 fps.

MM, on the other hand, is much better on the N64. They ruined the one thing that made it unique among Zeldas -- the 2spooky Alice in Wonderland-esque atmosphere -- with a bunch of unnecessary aesthetic changes. They made similar changes in OOT, but its visual design was less cohesive and communicated less about the world, favoring long expository monologues instead.

An example of how they fucked up the feel of the game: your journey in Termina begins in the basement of the Clock Tower, the only region of the game, outside of the intro, that is completely unaffected by the passage of time. Without spoiling too much, in the N64 version there's a single NPC in this room who is central to the game's mystery but can only provide limited assistance in your adventure. It's a place of respite inasmuch as you aren't forced to constantly be on the move while you're down there, but that's it. In the 3DS version, they added a massive "hint stone" that sticks out like a sore thumb in the overall design of the room. The NPC even talks about it for a while. It doesn't make narrative sense for it to be down there, and obviously little thought went into smoothly integrating it into the game.

That's just an example, I'm not trying to be super autistic about that one feature, there's lots of other things I disagreed with. The 3DS versions are remakes, not remasters. You will probably have fun with both of them, but I recommend experiencing MM on the N64, otherwise on the 3DS it will just seem like an inferior version of OOT for weirdos.
>>
>>4115805
Oh yeah, also forgot about having more control over time. Really good idea considering that it's a handheld port, but there's something to be said for the waiting you have to do in the N64 version. It made you notice all of the nuances of the characters' routines.
>>
>>4115805
>OoT is pretty much the same on both systems.
except it lost one of its biggest aspects, its atmosphere to the brightest colors known to man
>>
There's no reason to play the N64 version of OOT unless you're nostalgic for low poly models and extra haze. The OOT remake improves the game in every conceivable way.

Majora's Mask isn't as black and white, but I'd still recommend the 3DS version unless you like spending a lot of time waiting on shit.
>>
>>4115736
Always play the original.
>>
>>4115836

I'm going to second this one. I've never played the 3DS OoT remake, since if I replay OoT it's for nostalgia anyway, but the graphics look nice and I think fit the tone of the game. Plus constant 30 fps compared to a choppy 20, being able to aim with the gyroscopes, and being able to quickswitch stuff like iron boots are all excellent additions.

But like this guy said, the graphical updates really don't mesh with the overall tone of Majora's Mask. The N64 game looks much better. Plus, they fucked up some core gameplay mechanics like Zora swimming better bad. I would recommend you play the N64 version for sure.
>>
>>4115736
You can almost see shota Link's deku nuts
>>
Either is fine, but as others have said, OOT is fine on 3DS, I especially enjoyed the gyro controls for aiming. Really welcome addition.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.