[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best version of Elite to emulate? Preferably good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Elite_org_cover.jpg (14KB, 250x311px) Image search: [Google]
Elite_org_cover.jpg
14KB, 250x311px
What is the best version of Elite to emulate? Preferably good with controller. The NES port?
>>
> Elite
> Controller

No.

If you're going for authenticity the original BBC version is probably best, as it has a much better frame rate than e.g. the otherwise good C64 version (and the NES).

If not then go for the Amiga version with proper filled 3D polygons and mouse interface.
>>
File: gba_elitetnk.gif (4KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
gba_elitetnk.gif
4KB, 240x160px
>>4115294
There is a GBA homebrew port of Elite: The new Kind, which is basically a reverse engineered version of the original. It plays very well on actual hardware and I spend countless hours playing it (E L I T E), so I guess it should be fine to play with a controller. Resolution might be an issue if you're emulating, though.
>>
>>4115350
Well, I was hoping to emulate it on a handheld, or my phone, so using a keyboard might be a bit of an issue.

>>4115356
That could work. First time I hear of that. Just how faithful is it to the original game?
>>
>>4115356
Oh, I'll try that as well with the GC Game Boy Player.
>>
>>4115350
Can you not use flightsticks on the original Elite? Or well, the average joystick of the time that kind of looked like a flightstick.
>>
>>4115373
Yeah, it was designed to be played with a joystick. The point is though that it had loads of other controls bound to other keys, it was designed to be played with joystick AND keyboard (it even came with a keyboard overlay to help you remember the keys). The NES version has an extra HUD bar with icons to choose these functions in gameplay, which is obviously clumsier than just pressing the relevant button, but was the only way it was going to work on a console. If OP is going to try and play it on a phone I guess it's the only way it would work, but it's not how the game was intended to be played.
>>
>>4115385
The BBC micro version is the best of the original game? What's a good emulator for that? Can it be played without a joystick?
>>
File: Arcelite_through_vipers.jpg (11KB, 301x241px) Image search: [Google]
Arcelite_through_vipers.jpg
11KB, 301x241px
>>4115414
BBC micro has wire-frame graphics only. It's the first and oldest version of the game, so go for that if you want to see what the first incarnation looked like.

The game was ported to a shitload of other systems, each having some interesting added content (such as extra missions) or particular quirks (docking difficulty varies widely among versions). The Acorn Archimedes (successor to the BBC) version is often considered to be the most feature-rich, definitive version. It features scripted events and encounters not seen in other versions.
>>
>>4115294
What? NES port? Are you insane? You haven't heard about the best Elite version available. It's ArcElite for Archimedes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBuTU9ovP8

It's official and the best version. I emulated it in early 2000s so it's very doable these days. You faggots honestly... How depressing that someone suggests NES and GBA version, are you this dumb?
>>
File: (you).jpg (177KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
177KB, 500x376px
>>4115834
1. He asked for something which can comfortably played with a controller
2. I already suggested the Archimedes version here >>4115583
3. No need to be so presumptuous condescending.
>>
>>4115842
It has joystick support my friend. Diddly-certain-doddly-ly. Even Amiga version had joystick support...
>>
> Though i recommend the NES over the BBC version, you may wish to maximise your nostalgia factor by running the original 1984 BBC Micro version using an emulator. Note thatb Elite - The New Kind is a recent PC implementation of Elite pretty true to the original BBC version.
- Ian Bell.
>>
>>4115294

I always liked the Amiga port "Elite Plus" best, myself. It doesn't look all that great considering the abilities of a 16-bit system like the Amiga, but it plays beautifully.
>>
Anyone know if you can get one of those flightstick looking controllers with digital inputs but with USB? I've never seen them but they would be a lot nicer for playing things such as these, and you wouldn't have to wreck your actual flightstick.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.