[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FPGA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: donkeykongcountry.jpg (14KB, 250x213px) Image search: [Google]
donkeykongcountry.jpg
14KB, 250x213px
I've come across this term a few times while watching some videos about the downfall of the retrovgs/caleco chameleon and I was wondering just what the hell it is?

I'm not a literally retard but close.
>>
An FPGA is basically a flashable processor. It's a collection of logic gates that can be programmed to then operate identically to one dedicated processor or another.
>>
>>4114683
Is the reason it's becoming such a hot thing lately? besides the clone market potential?
>>
>>4114689
Holy shit, forgive the fucking typos. Told you I was close to retarded.
>>
FPGA = Field Programmable Gate Array.

It allows people to implement a custom chip without actually fabricating it. All the transistor logic is pieced together in a hardware description language like Verilog or VHDL. You compile it then load the binary which flashes the FPGA at power on, so from then on it acts like how you want.

One advantage of a FPGA over a microcontroller is that it can react almost immediately in a given situation, while a microcontroller is a CPU that will typically have some processing overhead.

FPGAs are usually measured and priced according to their size, basically the number of transistors they have.

They're used in all sorts of scenarios for all kinds of applications.
>>
>>4114671
Are you literally incapable of googling..? I mean it's one thing to be retarded, but this is just obvious tier "I didn't try."
>>
>>4114689
They used to be obscenely expensive and not very powerful. They've gotten a lot more affordable in the last few years, which is why they're gaining popularity for hobbyist projects.

Cheap FPGAs are a huge deal for game preservation. Current FPGA consoles are still pricey, but as they come down in price I expect them to start replacing software emulators for serious retro game enthusiasts/autists.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.