[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Console Wars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: What Nintendon't.jpg (108KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
What Nintendon't.jpg
108KB, 800x530px
It was Sega Vs Nintendo back in the 90's. There was no autist PC faggot trying to include himself in the console war debates saying "PC Master Race" like a retard. Especially since PC doesn't count as a game console anyways & most of the games were crap point & click games on PC.

At the playground Nintendo fanboys had their trump cards such as Ninja Turtles 4 & Batman Returns being superior on the SNES. But we Sega fanboys had our trump cards such as more MA-13 rated games such as Splatterhouse, Maximum Carnage & the original Mortal Kombat. Plus Streets Of Rage series is a better beat'em up than any of the Final Fight games.

Nowadays the console wars is plagued with PC Master Race faggots trying to include themselves in the console war debates. But as I've said before PC doesn't count since it's not a console. Sure it plays games, but I browse the internet more with a PC than play games on it.

Also the console war debates lost it's touch once Sega was out of the picture. Playstation & Xbox filled into the spots where Sega & Nintendo once were. I suppose Xbox is Sega's spiritual successor. Playstation is just an offspring of Nintendo from the prototype "Nintendo Playstation" console.

Nintendo is where Sega was at 20 years ago during the 32 bit/64 bit generation. Nintendo had made mistakes along the way.

I blame their mistakes on the Wii. Sure the Wii was massively successful, until you read the fine print that it only sold well because of casuals. Nintendo made the mistake of trying to appeal to casuals again with the Wii U. The Wii U failed.

The Switch might be Nintendo's Dreamcast. Although technically it's Nintendo's Sega Nomad. Hopefully The Switch does so well, that Xbox & Sony will take notice & make a console similar to the Switch in the next console cycle.
>>
Meanwhile in Japan no one gave a shit about Saygar and it was Nintendo vs Nec Pc Engine.
>>
PCs weren't consoles back then. But consoles are PCs now.
>>
>>4114000
True, all of the cons of being a PC with none of the pros.
>>
I don't actually remember console wars back in the day, I know nerds over at usenet had them, but as a kid who grew up during the early 90s, I mostly remember kids getting excited to play vidya, whether it was Nintendo or Sega.
In fact, I had a SNES, and made friends with a kid at school because he had a Mega Drive. He got me into Sega, and I got him into SNES, eventually he sold his MD to buy a SNES because he and his brothers fell in love with the DKC games.
>>
>>4113997
>The Switch is Nintendo's Dreamcast
Are you fucking mad? I dislike Nintendo to an extent, but I don't think the Switch is that fucked up.

>Sure it plays games, but I browse the internet more with a PC than play games on it
What kind of shit logic is that? Is the DS or the PSP less of a console because they have internet browsers? Just buy a controller for certain games that don't work well with keyboard, boom.
>>
>>4113998
Tell that to Segata Sanshiro who single-handingly saved the Sega Saturn against the Nintendo 64 & Playstation in Japan, while the NEC was irrelevant by then.

>>4114000
>consoles are PC's
No it isn't. I can't install programs like Photoshop or voice changers on it. Can't create youtube videos with intros and outros included. Can't create digital music on the consoles either, like I could with a PC.
>>
>>4113997
>strategy games:
>columns

lolwut
>>
born 91 and dont remember console wars, but I did have a genesis and tg16 and didnt own a snes til this year.
snes seriously is not as great a system as people make it out to be unless you factor in japanese games. Then you end up with about 2000 games, where as genesis has 1000 and tg16 even less even with japanese games.

Fast forward to today, sega is a publisher and nintendo sucks since the wii. I completely ignore anything new that isnt on PC.
>>
Didn't understand them back then and don't understand them now.

I get a little envious of one or two exclusives, but nothing so strong I ever wished the other company would crash and burn.
>>
>>4114005
I remember having friends who had SNES, while I had a Sega Genesis. It was always fun to go to his house or him coming to my house to play video games.

>>4114008
I'm not mad. Just pointing out what it might eventually become.

>Is the DS or the PSP less of a console because they have internet browsers
I don't even browse the internet with them, it's shit to browse with on there. It's better to browse the internet on a PC than a console or handheld.
>>
>>4114015
Specially weird considering Herzog Zwei was already out by that time.
>>
>>4114019
And that somehow makes the PC worse?
>>
>>4114009
>Tell that to Segata Sanshiro who single-handingly saved the Sega Saturn against the Nintendo 64 & Playstation in Japan, while the NEC was irrelevant by then.
Yeah that is correct, old PCE fans migrated to the Saturn once the PC-FX was revealed to be a tremendous disaster.
>>
>>4114015
Columns on the Game Gear was better than Columns on the Genesis.

>>4114016
>I completely ignore anything new that isn't on PC
That's your loss. But then again I'm probably missing out too since I don't play PC exclusives. Oh well.

>>4114017
I never wished for either company to crash & burn, in fact I own many consoles.

>>4114024
The PC is only worse because you have to upgrade, you have to know what parts you have to get to upgrade, meeting up with the minimum requirements to play current games & then it becomes useless pricey junk once you have to upgrade again as soon as all your parts are outdated. Hence why I buy consoles because I can keep them around & buy a new console in the next console, not having to worry about throwing it away. Browsing the internet, PC dominates in that department.

>>4114031
Indeed.
>>
File: 1446012525648.png (17KB, 633x163px) Image search: [Google]
1446012525648.png
17KB, 633x163px
>>4113997
>Nintendo made the mistake of trying to appeal to casuals again with the Wii U
Uh no, this is a misconception endlessly repeated by people who have no clue what they are talking about.
>>
Seagull was only great in the arcades. Even their home releases only truly shined when they were arcade ports or remakes or played like arcade games like in the case of Nights and Jet Set Radio. They greatest strength was intrinsically dated and doomed to fade in time and become obsolete. Like we are all doing right now.
>>
>>4114040
I upgraded my PC literally 3 times since 2005. And I am pretty my 2016 revamp is not on the "minimum" spectrum. Basic research solves any "problem" in what you said, also self-control. Furthermore, how many consoles get upgrades midway through? DS, DSI. PS4, PS4 PRO. 3DS, NEW 3DS. The difference being that you control your upgrades on the PC, you don't need to buy a whole new console for a minor boost in RAM and Screen Size. But not like me saying basic shit would change your bias, so whatever.
>>
>>4114051
Not all of us live in America, pc parts can be expensive in the rest of the world.
>>
>>4114053
I live in fucking Brazil where everything is taxed to hell.
>>
>>4114051
Out of those the DSI and New 3DS were completely underused and unnecessary save for Monster Hunter. And the PS4 PRO doesn't even do real 4k.
>>
>>4114040
I only play PC for modern shit now cause I'm not wasting money on new platforms.
Besides I still get enough enjoyment out of everything that is relevant to this board.
>>
>>4114056
Btw is it true that you actually eat monkeys?
>>
>>4114059
Not in the part of the country where I live, if they do that in the amazon, I don't know, the distance between here and there is the distance between maryland and california.
>>
>>4114040
>The PC is only worse because you have to upgrade

The PC has 20 years worth of backwards compatibility, and older games actually look better on newer hardware. A PS4 can't even play PS3 games out of the box, only with emulators.

And a console can't do irc chat, browser 4chan, do video editing, audio conversion, print out documents, run photoshop, act as a web server, or do 1001 things you'd need for work. Yeah, you can hack a few of those things into a console (PS2 had Linux, Saturn had a printer), but overall no console can do as much as a PC can.

>you have to know what parts you have to get to upgrade, meeting up with the minimum requirements to play current games

oh dear, you have to do ten minutes of research on the product you want to buy. Nobody has the brain cells to do that.

>then it becomes useless pricey junk once you have to upgrade again as soon as all your parts are outdated

It doesn't suddenly become unable to run all your games prior to the newest update, does it? The 486 I have boxed up still runs Pinball Fantasies and Wolfenstein 3d perfectly fine. My old A64 X2 runs everything up till 2006 (pre-Vista) perfectly. My old Pentium 3 with a GF4mx runs everything that requires Win98 primarily.

It is not in any way different then you keeping your Atari 2600 around to play Atari 2600 games.
>>
>>4114043
Even that screen shot proves my point because it does mention that Nintendo was targeting casuals(and hardcore gamers). Naming it the Wii U didn't help matters for Nintendo in the long run.

>>4114048
>Seagull
Doesn't exist.

Anyways Sega did have some great games in each console generation. Sonic The Hedgehog(obviously), House Of The Dead, Virtual On, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, Nights Into Dreams, Streets of Rage. A lot of titles that were under appreciated by many. I got to enjoy them because I loved many games made by Sega. If only Nintendo, Sony & Xbox fanboys knew what they were missing out on, maybe some of the games I mentioned would have sequels. It's bad enough that Shenmue 3 had to be crowd funded, I just so happen to be one of the Shenmue 3 backers.

>>4114051
I went through 5 PC's since 2002. Most of them went to shit or something & I have no clue on how to fix any of them, so I had to buy a new one every time. Although my friend may hook me up with a more powerful PC, completely custom to fit my style & if it has any problems, he would fix it for me. All I have to do is set him up with a date, then I will have a smooth running computer that can play powerful enough for the most current PC games, although I only plan on playing GTA V on it. The only reason he asked for my help is because I'm good with being a wing man, plus he's shy with women. As for the console upgrades, they're optional since every PS4 game is still compatible with regular PS4's. I have no idea how it works with handhelds, since I only bought a PSP. I have no interest in the DS/3DS. But I do have interest in the PS Vita.

>>4114058
That's all fine, if it makes you happy, kudos. But consoles to me aren't a waste of money. I love that I can play light gun games on my PS3 thanks to the PS Move. I love that arcade experience on a console. Which reminds me, Batman Forever The Arcade Game on MAME sucks because there's no sound on the emulation. PS1 version works.
>>
File: x68compare.jpg (2MB, 2842x3863px) Image search: [Google]
x68compare.jpg
2MB, 2842x3863px
>>4113997
Go home gaijin
>>
>>4114317
three or four good Konami ports does not make you a contender.
>>
>>4114068
>PC Backwards compatibility
I tried running Batman Forever The Arcade Game for MS DOS and it doesn't work. I have to have a MS DOS emulator and even that's a hassle to deal with.

>PS4 can't play PS3 games.
It doesn't need to, I have both systems hooked up to my HDTV.

>
And a console can't do irc chat, browser 4chan, do video editing, audio conversion, print out documents, run photoshop...

Yeah I've already mention this, which is why I said a console isn't a PC.
>>
>>4114330
>three or four good Konami ports does not make you a contender.

That's already a library better then watered down shitty port or consolised versions of arcade games.
>>
Nobody ragged on each other about PCs because that's what we were all using to flame each other's consoles on BBSes. Also at the time the game libraries were so different between PCs and consoles that direct comparisons were rare.
>>
>>4114436
Very true.
>>
>>4114436
"Whoa! Win95 boots in only 3 seconds" was quite the flame war back in '96
>>
>>4113997
Cool blog summer. It's also interesting to hear about the history of console wars from someone who's first one was a Wii.
>>
>>4114865
There was a faggot like you on every board too. Only the difference then was that when the sysop got tired of your shit he'd just demote you to lamer level privileges and potentially let the rest of the board know who you are.
>>
>>4114865
>someone who's first console is a Wii
Project much? I'm certain that's your first console, kid. My first console is a NES.
>>
>>4114009
The N64 wasn't even competition for the Saturn until at least 2000.
>>
>>4114068
>photoshop
Why use that when GIMP exists?
>>
genesis vs super nintendo was the only console war worth debating every gen after that it was pretty clear which was the best console.
>>
>>4115520
The only games that drew me into the N64 was the exclusive WWF games it had(Wrestlemania 2000 & No Mercy). I eventually bought Super Mario 64 as well.

>>4115735
True. If I had to rank the best console(specs wise), it would go like this...

3rd Generation -
Sega Master System. (NES may have a better library, but SMS has the better graphics & sound)

4th Generation -
Super Nintendo (although Sega did outshine them with some game ports).

5th Generation -
Playstation (sure the graphics are smoother on N64 & no load times, but the cinematic videos & sound quality was PS1's biggest advantage over N64).

6th Generation -
Xbox (superior graphics, custom soundtracks, internal hard drive & online gaming)

7th Generation -
PS3 (The fact I can upgrade my PS3 with a laptop hard drive is a win/win, which I did on day one of owning a PS3, unlike Xbox 360 where I have to buy a specific hard drive, while also buying a transfer cable to transfer my data to the new hard drive)

8th Generation -
PS4 (not counting the upgrades)
>>
>>4115803
I preferred WCW, but I was just talking about in Japan, where the N64 floundered.
>>
>>4115829
I actually have the WCW games in my N64 collection as well, but only the good ones from THQ (WCW Vs nWo World Tour & WCW/nWo Revenge)
>>
>>4113997
Quit using "&" instead of "and." It makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>4116939
It's a fool's err& m8
>>
>>4114317
Go home fucking weeb
>>
>>4114009
>Tell that to Segata Sanshiro who single-handingly saved the Sega Saturn against the Nintendo 64 & Playstation in Japan, while the NEC was irrelevant by then.

Segata Sanshiro is a playable character in Project X-Zone2, for the NINTENDO 3DS.

There's so much sweet irony on that.
>>
>>4117563
Go slurp on that fluoridated water you fat bloated sack of shit
>>
>>4113997
FFS OP everything you said was retarded as fuck.

>There was no autist PC faggot trying to include himself in the console war debates saying "PC Master Race"

Yeah because they were Amiga fags

> But as I've said before PC doesn't count since it's not a console.

What is the difference between a console and PC?? Nothing. Hell the largest PC Software company makes a console. Your entire argument is dumb.

> Playstation & Xbox filled into the spots where Sega & Nintendo once were.

Not really, no. That's like saying Nintendo and Sega took over for where Coleco and Atari once were. It's not even a comparison.

>The Switch might be Nintendo's Dreamcast.

No that was the WiiU. The Switch is Nintendo taking portable gaming to the next level.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.