[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i just picked up a dreamcast (specifically pic related) for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

so i just picked up a dreamcast (specifically pic related) for $70

my two questions are
a) did i get scammed?
b) what are some must have games that are ridiculously expensive yet?
>>
>>4112681
Without any games? Yes you did.
>>
>>4112691
what would have been a good price for one. It had a fresh clock battery, tested, black controller, and all the cables. Bought it from my local game shop so i dont mind paying a little more to help the store, but what should i have paid for it
>>
>>4112694
Like 40 is the standard, but I understand the wanting to help the shop. Did you get a VMU?
>>
>>4112694
i wouldn't worry about spending much at a game store, they usually have a warranty and verify the console is working before they sell it.
>>
>>4112705
yeah brand new one in box and its the clear blue one. 16 bucks. Guy told me i could have found cheaper ones, but i kind of liked the idea of having a sealed in box one.

>>4112707
he did verify it for me
>>
>>4112705
Black ones cost more. I would say $60 American is the price I'd expect to see for a black one, while $40 (or so, maybe lower depending on condition and venue) is more what you'd see for the standard white ones.
>>
>Did I get scammed
Kinda did if you're spending 70bux on a dreamcast, but it is a sports model, not like there's really too much of a difference minus aesthetic
>What are some good, cheap games
I think Shenmue is still rather moderately priced, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 are pretty affordable and worth playing, Sonic Adventure 1 is still well priced, Daytona USA is also affordable.

Of course, depending on model number, the most affordable solution is to get a bunch of CD-Rs and burn games to them.
>>
Zombie Revenge, Space Channel 5, NFL Blitz, Phantasy Star Online and even some of the less coveted Capcom games like Plasma Sword and Double Impact can be had for a decent price.

Also, does anyone know why Sonic Adventure 2 is so damn expensive?
>>
>>4114060
SA2 was released very close to the end of the console's life cycle, maybe that caused more people to miss out on it?

SA2 Battle was also very popular on the Gamecube, increasing the popularity of the original.
>>
>>4112681
Don't buy your games, this thing plays burned games right off the bat.
>>
>>4114264
unless the person before you burnt out the laser. ah, another project for the pile.
>>
Sega Marine Fishing
F355 Challenge
Virtua Fighter 3
Test Drive Le Mans
Maken X
Gundam Side Story
Chu Chu Rocket
Tony Hawk 2
>>
>>4114295
why would he pay for a non-working dreamcast in the first place? OP also mentioned it was tested by the store.
>>
File: DC-Sports-Controller-Sega.jpg (108KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
DC-Sports-Controller-Sega.jpg
108KB, 500x464px
>>4112681
Did it have the matching Sega Sports controller? If it did, I would say you did alright for $70. If it didnt have pic related, then yeah you overpaid.

Used to work at a mom&pop, I'd see the system way more than the controller.
>>
>>4114060
only game i have so far is blitz, heard great things about
>>4112724
really trying to get Shenmue, i thought the sport model would definitely not be able to play CD-R's
>>
>>4114451
it did have the matching controller
>>
>>4112681
$70? They usually sell cheaper for at least $49.99. You got ripped off by at least $20. You would have been better off buying a modded Dreamcast with a rechargeable battery.

>>4114705
>play CD-R's
Pirated Dreamcast games don't have the same picture quality as the official Dreamcast games does.
>>
>>4114705
It can, I have that model (though I a reluctant to use them for laser burnout rumors.

>>4114295
Is there anyone out there working on laser restoration efforts rather than just hard drive replacements? Obviously the drive solution is more practical, but it'd be a shame to not be able to use discs that I've collected down the line...
>>
>>4114727
>don't have the same picture quality as the official Dreamcast games does.
Fuckin' what?
>>
>>4114747
Look it up for yourself.
>>
>>4112681
The black one is a special edition so it costs a bit more. If it's in great shape, then $70 is okay.

>b) what are some must have games that are ridiculously expensive yet?

If you are looking for those, you should've bought a Saturn instead.
>>
>>4114738
>Is there anyone out there working on laser restoration efforts rather than just hard drive replacements?

Yes, you buy a brand new laser and swap out the old one. Of course you also need to calibrate it, but that requires more expensive gear to properly do (a scope and the service manuals).
>>
>>4114727
that only applies to video files
the graphics should be the same
>>
>>4114747
Some shit the baby read on the internet. In the early days of the DC content was sometimes removed from rips or resampled so it could fit on a 650MB disc. By now nearly everything was has been reripped and compressed to fit on a 900MB disc max.
Still the myth is retold and lives on and apparently is "picture quality" this summer.
>>
>>4112681
>$70 USD for a DC
>some ugly sports edition one no less

Yes, you got scammed.

As far as games go, just get a gdemu.
>>
>>4114761
>but that requires more expensive gear to properly do (a scope and the service manuals).
Are service manuals hard to come by? I have access to oscilloscopes and other such tools, I work in a calibrations lab.
>>
>>4114847
Not a myth. The compression makes it look bad. But I guess you pirates want to keep selling your CD-R's to any sucker willing to buy it from you.
>>
If you like the game Crazy Taxi, you'd like it on Dreamcast. I personally dont care for the game.
>>
>>4112681
Since you bought it from a store you wanted to support, that's worth it I'd say. Also the DC can play burned games buy the way. Has no copy protection, so you can just play away.
>>
>>4116157
You're a fucking moron. The only thing typically hurt in the ripping process is FMV quality.
>>
>>4112681
You didn't get a good price but you didn't get scammed. Those black DC's run for more than the normal ones.

for games, just get a stack of CD-R's and download imgburn

>>4116157
i make millions selling burned cd-r's of dreamcast games :D
>>
>>4114754
I did and it's not true. Maybe it was partially true 10+ years ago, but since about 5 or 6 years ago it's definitely not.
>>
>>4116183
>The only thing typically hurt in the ripping process is FMV quality
You just proved my point why it's better to have a genuine copy of a Dreamcast game than a ripped copy.
>>
>>4114727
>Pirated Dreamcast games don't have the same picture quality as the official Dreamcast games does.

yes they do, most dreamcast games fit on a cd but included junk files to fill up a dreamcast gigabyte disc. Worse case scenario you'll get games that have to have their FMVs compressed, which if done right looks almost exactly the same.

>>4116549
even with the few games that suffer FMV quality loss (the horror), backups are still preferable since they can be altered to allow games to run via VGAbox without the need of a swap disc.
>>
>>4116642
Backups are only good via some kind of mod on a Dreamcast with a microSD card slot. I've actually seen a mod like that before. Much better than using burnt CD's.
>>
>>4112710
You got scammed.

You can get a vmu sealed in box on ebay for $5 and they have hundreds of them sealed on ebay

Also my local game store has dreamcasts for $30
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.