[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SOTN X SM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

File: metroidcv.png (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
metroidcv.png
1MB, 1280x1280px
Why is Castlevania Symphony of the Night so much more fun than Super Metroid even though it's technically much less well designed?
>>
that's a pretty loaded question
>>
>>4109717
protip: both are shit, go play a real action platformer
>>
>>4109723
spbp
>>
File: samus_alucard.jpg (82KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
samus_alucard.jpg
82KB, 800x598px
Because an haunted magical castle is a lot more engaging than an alien planet.

And because this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYsVk23oxA
sounds a lot less appealing than this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMxsMbN2Gc
>>
File: Holy_Bible_Guide_Cover.jpg (94KB, 580x836px) Image search: [Google]
Holy_Bible_Guide_Cover.jpg
94KB, 580x836px
Because you are allowed to have your own subjective tastes and opinions.

Classicvania > Metroidvania anyway
>>
one's a 4th gen game, the other is 5th gen which means better playability, music and graphics
>>
>>4109717
Because Metroid's controls are a lot stiffer and there's less abilities to fuck around with. SotN makes you feel like a God. Metroid kicks your ass.

Of course, the other way of looking at it is Metroid is a proper game, SotN is a busted clusterfuck of nonsense. Both games have different things going for them.
>>
>>4109717
>Why is Castlevania Symphony of the Night so much more fun than Super Metroid
That is a purely subjective statement. There is literally zero validity in saying this or the opposite of it, thusly your question is null anyways. Also you killed a thread to make this garbage..? Christ.
>>
it's a lot flashier, easier and has catchier tunes
>>
>>4109752
This
>>
Because alucard is sexier and has a tighter ass than that slut samus.

sissy boys > tomboy girls
>>
Because SotN is a playground that lets you do whatever you want and gives you a ton of options.
>>
sotn is fast food. metroid is fine cuisine
>>
SOTN let's you explore a unique magical castle. it's like an hostile version of Hogwarts

Super Metroid it's just you basic platformer... IN SPACE
the forest level IN SPACE
the cave level IN SPACE
the water level IN SPACE
the spooky level IN SPACE
the lava level IN SPACE
all this while fighting generic space bugs and space dinossaurs!
>>
>>4109752
Seconded
>>
>>4109723
such as?
>>
>>4109798
>Alucard
>a sissy

Not even.
>>
File: Castlevania2.png (77KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania2.png
77KB, 800x533px
I just had a weird realization, was Simon's Quest the first Metroidvania?
>>
Because it's way easier and you can just grind through the castle. It's like a modern game, there's no real danger, you are a badass and you can do anything.
>>
>>4109839
Classicvanias
Daimakaimua
Ninja gaiden
Rastan
Strider 1+2
Shatterhand
Astyanax
Cadash
Shinobi series
Ninja spirit

you know, the stuff that don't hold your hand
>>
It depends on the player's age. SM was made for kids, SotN for young adults. It's like the difference between shounen and seinen manga.
>>
>>4109883
>SM was made for kids
Both games are for kids (in fact, I'd argue SOTN is for girls, considering Alucard's bishounen design), but Super Metroid has some gruesome title screen, with bloody corpses lying on the floor. Wouldn't consider it for kids (although kids want to play violent games anyway)
>>
>>4109892
>but Super Metroid has some gruesome title screen, with bloody corpses lying on the floor
and that's still nothing against beelzebub or the corpse ball
>>
>>4109902
Thing is, both games are for kids anon. Kids love guts and gross things, especially in the 90s.
>>
>>4109904

Spyro is a PSX kids game, SotN is for young adults, a generation that grew out of the SNES basically.
>>
>>4109920
No, anon, games are mainly for kids.
The whole "hey guys we cater to the mature audience" meme is a fallacy, and the "young adults" you're talking about are 12 year olds, who are the demographic that cares about violence and blood and guts the most. Young adults are too busy partying instead of playing video games.
It's incredible that 20 years after there's still people like you engulfing western marketing schemes.
>>
>>4109920
You're saying Spyro has a similar vibe to Super Metroid?
To me, both SotN and SM are aimed at the same demographic. Teens. It says so on the SotN ESRB rating.
>>
>>4109934

>there are no 18 year olds playing games
Maybe you should leave the basement now and then and make some friends.
>>
>>4109953
Nice comeback.
>>
>>4109853
In a sense, yes, but it was still confined to an RPG mentality in how it handled progression and level design (yuck!).

It took Metroid 1 to take this same approach from an action/platformer perspective to make the experience feel much more cohesive and engaging, and SOTN reintegrated the RPG elements into the gameplay and level design base provided by Metroid.
>>
>>4109717
???

The better designed game will be more fun (for most). So either Super Metroid is not actually a better designed game, or SotN isn't more fun.

I think I just got baited.
>>
>>4109986
not really. 2001 a space odyssey is a better designed film than the avengers but the avengers is a lot more fun
>>
In a word, random drops
>>
>>4110060
wrong, if you removed that shit from sotn it would still be a funner game. in fact I would argue that all the inventory customization crap just hinders the game
>>
>>4110056
but the point of both of these games is to be fun which isn't true for both of those movies.
>>
File: summer dork.jpg (22KB, 432x362px) Image search: [Google]
summer dork.jpg
22KB, 432x362px
>>4109883
>reading manga for manchildren

>not reading superior western canon comics like Hellboy, Sandman, and Moon Over June
>>
File: 1463031722485.jpg (24KB, 284x253px) Image search: [Google]
1463031722485.jpg
24KB, 284x253px
>>4110071
Funner isn't a word
>>
>>4110071
Why? It was definitely fun to dick around with.
>>
>>4109798
And that's why classicvania is better than Castleroids, because

real men > sissy boiz > "girls"
>>
>>4110205

r u a gryll?
>>
Sotn is too easy.
>>
>>4110774
being easier doesnt automatically make it more fun. dark souls is hard but still fun af
>>
It's because melee > ranged
>>
>>4109717
Mobility. Samus moves like a brick, even when running and flipping.
From the first seconds of SoTN we are given a control of a smooth, quick character who only gets more and more mobile as the game progresses.
>>
File: (You).jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>4109723
>>
>>4109717
>>4109729
>>4109732
>this is what goth kids actually believe.
>>
>>4111017
>this is what goth kids actually believe.
Excuse me, I'm a goth adult.
>>
File: Screenshots_2017-07-10-21-14-29.png (301KB, 509x461px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshots_2017-07-10-21-14-29.png
301KB, 509x461px
>>4109717
Because Metroid is just Metroid but Symphony of the Night is Metroid + Gentsufumaden.
>>
File: goths 3.jpg (87KB, 704x662px) Image search: [Google]
goths 3.jpg
87KB, 704x662px
>>4111017
Why did you quote my reply? I wasn't agreeing with OP, I was just saying that classic>igavania.

And yeah, I'm a goth, so what? Not a kid anymore, been a goth since the late 80s.
>>
File: jeanette_chipette_by_belledee.jpg (80KB, 600x531px) Image search: [Google]
jeanette_chipette_by_belledee.jpg
80KB, 600x531px
>>4110767
Yep!
>>
>>4110748
Get out of here with your "bleep bloop we have 32KB ROM, can't have level design or much depth, just crank difficulty up senpai, they will gobble it up"
>>
>>4111473
I too am a girl (male).
>>
>>4111547
Why are you even on this board, anon jr.?
Also, while i liked SOTN, I really disliked the lack of actual platforming element. You missed a jump? Oh, no biggie, just land on the screen below. There's never any pit you can fall in this game, ergo, there's virtually no platforming challenge.
The only vague challenge it has are some rooms on the inverted castle with some traps, but by then, you can just bypass everything as a cloud of gas.
>>
>>4111547 #
Get out of here with your "*fake orchestra* we have 16-megs, still can't make good level design or challenge, just crank length up senpai, they'll gobble it up."
>>
https://strawpoll.com/gfyf6xdf
>>
>>4111547
>Just add more ill-balanced items, I'm sure the players will enjoy the challenge
>>
igavania-fags are the worst

super metroid is a masterpiece
>>
>>4109723
>action platformer

I always saw Metroid and Iga-vania's as adventure platformers, personally.
>>
>>4111547
And yet most sections in sotn have simpler design than anything from CV I and III.
>>
Kys yourself
>>
>>4112260
sotn babies are disgusting
>>
The real questions is why none of the subsequent metroidvanias (including non-castlevania ones) managed to feel as good as symphony of the night? what does the game have that the others don't?
>>
>>4115501
Shitty level design and lame powwerups
>>
>>4115501
IMO, Aria/Dawn were better than SOTN
>>
Because SotN objectively has more content
>>
>>4109881
if you listed astyanax you should like legendary axe on turbo grafx they shared a few devs and play very similar
>>
Alucard controls buttery smooth, just jumping around and turning is fun in SotN
>>
Better controls, better art, better music, easier, alucard is insanely well animated
>>
>>4116001
Alucard drives like a bathtub compared to Samus
>>
Apples and Oranges.
>>
Daily reminder that this is entirely subjective and that arguments for one or the other are entirely pointless as it's up to the user to decide which one they enjoy more.
>>
>>4109839
Anubis and the Buried Bone
>>
>>4116391
>let's not discuss any form of art of even just entertainment media because it's subjective
>>
>>4116391
That's silly, everybody knows that my taste is objectively correct.
>>
are there any other retro metroidvanias worth playing?

no gameboy metroid/castlevania games please
>>
>>4119371
Dragon's Trap and Wonderboy in Monster World
>>
>>4119379
Good lad.

Regarding SotN vs SM, I enjoy them both immensely. They are separate games and since I need both hands to use the controller, I can only really enjoy one at a time. I don't really have to do mental gymnastics over which is better. I can happily play each on their own merits and get on with my day.
>>
>>4119371
U-four-ia or Hebereke (if you can read moon runes). Also Blaster Master.
>>
>>4109717
It's not. Super Metroid is the better game.
>>
>>4119998
Better game =\= most fun
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.