[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unplayable /vr/ games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1427649109864.png (86KB, 530x560px) Image search: [Google]
1427649109864.png
86KB, 530x560px
Because of the direction Nintendo has gone with motion controls it's going to really be a hurdle for emulation in the future. Once all the consoles die off those games may be forever unplayable.

So has this already happened with any /vr/ games? Like they can't even be emulated anymore because of some hardware gimmick and are essentially lost to time?
>>
>>4109413
>Because of the direction Nintendo has gone with motion controls it's going to really be a hurdle for emulation in the future
Fortunately none of those games are worth emulating.
>>
File: Miracle Piano.jpg (107KB, 1023x531px) Image search: [Google]
Miracle Piano.jpg
107KB, 1023x531px
I'm sure this could be emulated with any midi keyboard one day, but I doubt it's a high priority.
>>
>>4109413
Same problem than gun games (Duck Hunt, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, House of the Dead, Point Blank, etc.). Are they emulated properly today?
>>
>>4109413
A lot of motion-heavy Wii games are actually better in Dolphin with a keyboard and mouse. I'm sure there's some arcade games that are unplayable on PC, but you can usually find a workaround for these things, even if it's not the exact same experience.
>>
I think just about any game is going to be technically playable, but the true crux of it is how well you can emulate the controller/interface.

Duck Hunt and other nes light gun games emulate fine, but you need to play them with a mouse. So you can still see what the game was like, but you clearly aren't getting the full experience.

Other hardware reliant games like the guitar heros and any drum rythm game are also gonna have similar problems. Sure, you CAN play them with a keyboard, but isn't that kind of missing the point?
>>
>>4109601
Yes, you just use a mouse and it's actually unplayable because it's suddenly too easy.
>>
>>4109601
Yes the only issues that you would have is from your own personal setup.
>>
>>4109413
>>4109601
>Because of the direction Nintendo has gone with motion controls it's going to really be a hurdle for emulation in the future
At least the Wii is really good at emulation light gun games. I have a lot of fun with Battle Clash.
>>
>>4109724
is a mouse really easier than an actual gun?
>>
>>4109796
Immeasurably so
>>
>>4109796
It's far more precise.
>>
>>4109796
You don't use an actual gun when playing Duck Hunt. At least, I hope you don't.
>>
>>4109827
It's the only way to truly defeat the dog.
>>
>>4109413
Games being lost because of gimmicks started happening decades ago. Whatever. Impermanence is special in its own right.
>>
>>4109413
Nah, we emulate waggle shit just fine summer

>>4109796
There's a legit reason there isn't cross platform play on many games. Clicking on faggots heads.
>>
I dare everyone in this thread to try and emulate MAC OS 7.5.3. It is perhaps the hardest thing in the universe to emulate. I can't get Basilisk 2 to work worth a fuck. All I want to play is Bolo and PiD.
>>
>>4110327
I'll can give it a try. I usually don't emulate mac shit because I have the real shit but I know I have a basilisk setup with every OS it can handle. Pretty sure that's well beyond 7.5.3. But before I waste any time exactly how many summers have you been here for?
>>
>>4109413
>So has this already happened with any /vr/ games? Like they can't even be emulated anymore because of some hardware gimmick and are essentially lost to time?

I mentioned this before here, the Sigma Designs RealMagic enabled versions of games. Dragons Lair, Return to Zork, and I think a few others. I owned the first two RM versions as a kid along with a RM card in my 486 DOS 6.2 machine. The card interfaced with the video card in some weird way, and acted as an MPEG decoder. Thus the game sent data to the card, it decoded it, and passed it through the video card somehow. The end result was 16million color 640x480 30FPS video, on a 486 DOS machine from 1990. There's two problems getting this emulated.

A)Not very many RM cards and enabled games exist. It was a high-end cutting-edge type thing when it came out, back when the goal for home PC's was to be cheap. Neither the card nor the games sold well, and in many cases the only way to actually buy the games was to write the company and order directly from them since stores didn't want to stock games that only worked on uncommon hardware.

B)Thanks to A, even if there is anyone interested in trying to emulate the hardware and games, they would need to do some serious hunting to get either. Then they would need to figure out how to emulate it, since no one outside of the makers at Sigma Designs knows how the RM cards worked. All just for some superior FMV in a few supported games.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (73KB, 1000x654px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
73KB, 1000x654px
>>4109413
As far as I know, the N64's VRU (Voice Recognition Unit) accessory is unemulated as of now, leaving Hey You Pikachu unplayable in an emulator. There's also a Densha De Go game for the N64 that uses it, but I don't think it's mandatory for playing.
>>
>>4109792
Really? I tried some light gun games on the wii and found them impossible to play due to the lag of the wii mote
>>
>>4110327

Only decent way to play the Marathon series. Goddamnit, their sourceport for those suck.
>>
>>4110738
It's either the lag of your TV or a problem with the wiimote or you. It works amazingly well.
>>
File: segasonic the hedgehog.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
segasonic the hedgehog.webm
2MB, 640x480px
A few arcade games. There's a reason why SegaSonic the Hedgehog never got a home release.
>>
>>4110543
man this game disapointed kid me so hard, worked like complete ass
>>
>>4110846
Trackballs for PC's exist to this day anon. Fuck, I had one in the 90's. A better example would be Prop Cycle. You can emulate it, you can play it, but how would you emulate the air blowing at you from the fans as you pedal?
>>
>>4110543
>unplayable
So like the other 90% of the library
>>
>Wii gets mass production started for decent quality gyro
>A few years in, medical tech is suddenly using similar mass produced gyros, or slightly higher quality
>A few after that: Steam controller has Gyro, so do PS4 gamepad and Xbone pad.
>Phones suddenly have simplified gyros
Go be a fag somewhere else OP.
>>
That Sega genesis joey game that worked with their fitness bullshit is unplayable isn't it?
>>
>>4110543
You can use the real thing with an adaptor.
>>
>>4111114
With fans?
>>
>>4109435
I just got this working tonight, actually. It seems to be broken in newer versions, but MESS supports the peripheral for NES and SNES. It takes MIDI in/out, and I can confirm it works in MESS .159 with my shitty Yamaha + Creative Xmidi1 adapter.
>>
There have been loads of PC light guns over the years, and there are even drivers to use the GCon2 on a PC. Most modern guns use the same technology as the Wii (IR LED bars) to get around all the problems with different display types.

You can play all the games in MAME perfectly with it. A far bigger problem with Time Crisis is the annoying bug with the helicopter boss being impossible to shoot without a cheat..
>>
>>4112149
They need to be set to a variable speed based on how fast you pedal. You would need to build your own solution altogether.
>>
>>4113536
I've considered this in the past, no lie. Prop Cycle is a really cool game.

Incidentally, a new VR arcade is opening in Tokyo (shibuya maybe?) and they're using basically custom exercise bikes as the chairs/controllers/etc. One of the games demonstrated is basically prop cycle but in a different world. So sometimes we don't need to keep a game alive, its idea will continue on
>>
>>4111138
>Using your phone as a wii remote with Dolphin
Interesting idea.
>>
>>4113796
>violently waggling a $300 device all over the place
>>
>>4113804
People do that with the VR motion stuff already.
>>
>>4113804
We have been doing that since at the least the 80s.
Nevermind people doing offroad in their €30.000+ deathmobiles
>>
>>4113536
Variable speed fans are a thing.
>You would need to build your own solution altogether
You'd also have to pay your electric bill and many other things not really related to your question. You can "emulate" the blowing of air with fans using fans.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.