[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a correlation between e-celebs and retro game prices?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 100_059611-667x456.jpg (132KB, 667x456px) Image search: [Google]
100_059611-667x456.jpg
132KB, 667x456px
Is there a proven relationship between the two or is it all just assumption
>>
>>4109206
Price hikes have coincided with the release of certain videos. The PVM meme got expensive after that balding faggot and his buttbuddy started covering them.
>>
>>4109206
I always do well listing an item after an eceleb barfs his opinion online.

This has happened to all hobbies since forever. Just replace ecelebs with price books and mags.
>>
>>4109206
Didn't Pat try an experiment where he shilled a shitty game on purpose and watched the price rise? Maybe someone else did it but at least I remember him talking about it.
>>
>>4109216
>Price hikes have coincided with the release of certain videos.
But where's the proof?
>>
>>4109206
It definitely isn't related to supply and demand.
>>
File: spike.png (20KB, 880x430px) Image search: [Google]
spike.png
20KB, 880x430px
Yes, very much so. This chart isn't related to retro game sales but it shows the impact a relative small e-celeb can have on sales.
>>
Speaking of e-celebs, we used to have eternal e-celeb threads, and now I never see one. Are they banned now or something?
>>
File: 1479900500872.png (42KB, 403x443px) Image search: [Google]
1479900500872.png
42KB, 403x443px
>>4109447
Must be. I tried starting one and got banned myself for it being "not retro".

Now there's no containment they just leak into threads all over.
>>
They regularly stop by with:
>WHAT ARE you HIDDEN GEMS /VR/ HAHA SO RETRO

two days later there is video and price increase.
source:I paid double for a game because of this.
>>
>>4109206
Yup
I remember Toy Story racer being $5 but then some retarded e-celeb reviewed and boom $35 dollars
>>
>>4109206
I don't think anyone has solid proof but if you pay attention you can see price hikes in correlation to when a e-celeb releases a video about something. Now what are some of your hidden gems /vr/?
>>
>>4109532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cl2jDJ2Wuo
>>
File: hqdefault[3].jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[3].jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>4109414
>there's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact
>>
You just watched those vĂ­deos by reviewtechusa right?
>>
>>4109532
>I don't think anyone has solid proof
Lemme test that. Keep in mind that they only gain more viewers over time.

>Zelda:Link to the Past
>Pre-Game Grumps price:$15 flirting with $20.
>Post-Game Grumps price:$25 to $30.
>Zombies Ate My Neighbors
>Pre-Game Grumps price:$15 to $20.
>Post-Game Grumps price:Went to $25 quickly, has been $30-$40 lately
>Castlevania 3
>Pre-Game Grumps price:$10.
>Post-Game Grumps price:immediate rise to $15, now $25 average
>Contra 3
>Pre-Game Grumps price:$15 to $20 with recent spike to $25 as the video was published
>Post-Game Grumps price:$30 immediately, $40 a mere three months later

That's just ONE of these chucklefucks. In fairness, not every game gets pricefucked. Many Gameboy games don't get effected, since the bandwagoners can't stand monochrome green. Even a few major titles get spared, Donkey Kong Country being a good example. But they do have a pretty obvious effect on many game prices thanks to their fanbase running out to buy the latest reviewed game. I wouldn't be surprised if many ebay sellers pay close attention to the ecelebs and price accordingly.
>>
>>4109578
What I mean by solid proof are actual image comparisons to a price of a game before an e-celeb touched to after not just hearsay. It's a real thing but no one has really gone out to gather the evidence to prove it to those who don't really know what most games go for before and after e-celebs touch them.
>>
>>4109581
I'm using VGPC for my numbers, what does that count as?

Getting Connection error, might be a while until I can post this.
>>
>>4109606
Yeah pretty much just anything going beyond someone saying they've seen it rise I'd count as real evidence.
>>
>>4109206
I can vouch for this from experience. I used to watch e celeb favorite video games lists like Nostalgia Critic's and then I would buy those games soon after. Later when I was bored of them I would resell and I'd profit 100% of the time. Umihara Kawase and The Guardian Legend come to mind.
>>
>>4109668
I'm waiting for when Ranger X inevitably pops up on some e-celebs hidden gems list and the game suddenly goes for an absurdly high price. I just know it will happen the game is destined for it.
>>
>>4109578
The sad thing is that most of the casuals who buy old games generally don't even play them very much. What is it about normalfags that makes them so proud of their $200 paperweights? Is it that they get to impress their friends or something?
>>
>>4109913
>Is it that they get to impress their friends or something?
It's exactly that.
>>
>>4109241
He raised a price of the DMG Rampart on eBay enough times to manipulate it to raise the general price. Though now he brought that up the price may have gone up or remained the same ironically.
>>
>>4109850
Holy shit it's been cheap for this long? I don't doubt your prediction.
>>
>>4109951
It briefly went up like half a year ago for some reason but it's back down again which surprises me. I expected this game to blow up way sooner.
>>
>>4109206
Is there any suspicious about these Fuckos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gioMJQPTuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j760QG-TQ4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE31c-5Urak

They all seem to fucking apologetic and barely scratching the surface.
>>
>>4109241
No he just listed a bunch of Rampart copies at a high value on eBay and raised the market value. Different from raising the price with videos.

>>4109414
this is literally just a chart

>>4109206
I haven't seen any evidence but I suspect it is the case.
Everything in this thread is just speculation/anecdotal evidence.

perhaps we should start tracking popular youtubers and ebay prices?
>>
>>4109965
"it's okay to spend $200 for an SNES with earthbound because it's introducing retro gayming to a new generation"

kek no, fuck them
>>
>>4109206
I started my own reviewing channel intentionally to raise the value of the games I sell on ebay.
>>
>>4109850
Same, and add The Guardian Legend to that list. It's not a question of if, but when. The latter has all the markings of a memey """rare""" """hidden gem""": cult classic, made by obscureish company (Compile) with many """rare""" overpriced games under it's belt (M.U.S.H.A, Gun-Nac) and to top it off, shitty US boxart "so nobody bought it so its le rare, source: my asshole" - MetalJesusRocks, sometime in the near future
>>
>>4110014
Wow I honestly thought Guardian Legend was one of those games that went for an absurd amount.
>>
>>4110018
That's what I also assumed right away when I first heard about it, but it's ~$10, and that's on the low end for NES these days.

Buy it now so you don't have to whine later. Because some day, and it's getting more likely by the second, some e-celeb (MetalJesusRocks most likely) will notice this discrepancy and slap it in a clickbait "hidden gems" video so he/she can sell off their hoarded copies for max shekels.
>>
>>4110032
I've already reached a point where I just use flashcarts or emulation for everything since I own just about everything I want to own so even if it does get too expensive it won't bother me. I find the way prices rise and drop fascinating more than aggravating.
>>
>>4109965
>reviewtechusa
Not touching that with a ten foot pole.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.