[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best port of OutRun? I tried the Genesis version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: 38810-OutRun_(USA,_Europe)-3.png (19KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
38810-OutRun_(USA,_Europe)-3.png
19KB, 640x444px
What is the best port of OutRun? I tried the Genesis version but it's dreadful
>>
Just emulate it through MAME. It also got mostly arcade-perfect ports for the Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 and 3DS. As a last resort, the GBA version.
>>
>>4108981

Sega Ages on Saturn. The Genesis port isn't terrible though. Check out Turbo OutRun and OutRunners if you want to see what a bad port looks like.
>>
Cannonball:

http://reassembler.blogspot.com/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html
>>
>>4109013
came here to post this
I like the Genesis version, but it's pretty far from arcade perfect.
hell, it's one of the few early console ports to get the course layouts correct, shit like on PCE and Master System don't have the correct road width in areas or the split roads at the end of stages (they flicker)

>>4108993
also this

Both Cannonball and the Sega Ages Outrun have 60fps modes (Sega Ages version has it hidden), and 60fps mode is a little smoother on Sega Ages than Cannonball.
Cannonball has support for widescreen, double resolution, and custom tracks (all of which can be disabled to just be a perfect 1:1 translation of the arcade game).

I dunno if there are any differences in the Sega Ages version from arcade. Cannonball is almost 100% 1:1 arcade perfect, being developed as a conversion of the arcade disassembly into C.
There's actually no reason to bother with MAME for OutRun when there's a native port to modern computers that's a direct conversion from arcade (it still needs the arcade romset for graphics, sound, and stage data).
>>
Shenmue has the best port in it.

>>4108993
>Sega Ages on Saturn.
30fps shit.
>>
>>4109013
Cannonball is /thread imo. That and 3DS are, if anything, better than the original.

How come we don't have an official /vr/ track edit for Cannonball?
>>
>>4109068
>30fps shit.
...you do know that arcade Outrun is 30fps with 60fps background scroll, and that the Sega Ages release has a 60fps mode, right?
go to options, highlight Game Mode, hold A + C and press left/right until you see "smooth"

also
>shenmue port
>the one where they changed the car
>no 60fps mode
>interlaced output
are you actually retarded
>>
Yakuza 0?
>>
>>4108981

I feel like the Genesis version is only a small downscale compared to the arcade.

But >>4108991 is right, just emulate it through MAME.
>>
>>4109123
>interlaced output

If you use composite, sure. Everyone else uses a VGA box for 480p output.
>>
File: IMAG0327.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0327.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>4109170
It's still a shitty "re-imagining" though.

Sega Ages a best.
>>
File: 51XXFCT2RJL._AC_SX430_.jpg (51KB, 372x500px) Image search: [Google]
51XXFCT2RJL._AC_SX430_.jpg
51KB, 372x500px
Vanilla Outrun 2 on Xbox has the original as an unlockable, but I don't know how accurate it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=popC2DuU6pQ
>>
File: 1477401481224.jpg (14KB, 640x317px) Image search: [Google]
1477401481224.jpg
14KB, 640x317px
>>4109123
>mfw spoiler
>>
I love the arcade/cannonball/saturn versions, but What bugs me about them is that the car looks pink. Why is the Genesis port the only one to make the car look properly deep red?

Maybe my opinion is messed up because the Genesis was the only version I had access to until I found out about Cannonball earlier this year, but it still feels off to me when playing the Arcade versions. Is that wrong?
>>
3DS is best. It has an arcade perfect mode and a version that's 60fps with more music.
>>
>>4109068
>30fps shit
Fucking summer. Everyone knows about Saturn 60 fps mode.
>>
I really wish they would've arranged Step on Beat on the arcade soundchip and included it on one of the newer ports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDgQb19EesI
>>
>>4109306
The car was always pinkish.
I kind of do like the rich red color of the Genesis version's car more, though.

also, on an actual arcade monitor, the operator might have adjusted the contrast -- loads of Capcom CPS1 games expect this and show greys in areas that should be black on a properly tuned monitor, for example
>>
>>4109276
Speaking of which, what are my options for playing OutRun 2?
>>
>>4110447
Get the PC version, OutRun 2006. Buy it, or download it on IsoZone. It runs fine in lower resolutions on a toaster, but on a moderately decent machine, you can get perfect 1080p, 60fps, max anti-aliasing, and it looks fucking immaculate.
>>
>>4110447
Compared to Outrun 2006, vanilla Outrun 2 on Xbox looks nicer, has Outrun 1 as an unlockable, has the Daytona 2 and SCUD bonus tracks, has better missions, and lacks the slipstream mechanic (which is good since it sucks imo). However, Outrun 2006 is on PC, can be played in HD, and has more arcade stages.
>>
>>4110447
Forgot the vid. Honestly, if you don't have an Xbox, then PC Outrun 2 is just fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db2DRo6D1Pg
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (490KB, 1845x1297px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
490KB, 1845x1297px
Can we get a better port of the better game though? It's a crime we only got a mangled Genesis port
>>
>>4109812
In terms of content, I agree.
It's also got the optional Tuning Options and Auto-Gear-Shift for people who want to change up the way the game plays.
However, it's held back by the 3DS's hardware, specifically the shitty Circle Pad. Nearly all of the 3D Classics are.
You just can't get as much fine-movement with the Circle Pad because it's got such a small travel distance. Playing Afterburner II on the 3DS and then playing it with a joy-stick (or even a 360 controller or something) is like night and day.
It's a shame because I really love those ports. M2 did an incredible job and I'd love to see them ported onto other platforms. Even if you lose the 3D the extra content still makes it worth it.
>>
>>4111132
That genesis port was really a letdown for me.
>>
>>4111132
I never saw the original arcade version of Outrunners until recently. I only knew about the Genesis disaster

the game is so gorgeous. along with Galaxy Force II, it makes me think polygons were a mistake.
>>
File: outrun2006.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
outrun2006.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
>>4110462

>on a moderately decent machine, you can get perfect 1080p, 60fps, max anti-aliasing, and it looks fucking immaculate.

It does look good but I wish someone would adapt the UI to widescreen already, everything being stretched just looks gross and playing in 4:3 is no fun.
>>
>>4111132

If SEGA could have waited just a few months longer we could have got an arcade perfect port on Saturn. Such an underrated game and absolutely gorgeous, as good as 2D racing gets.
>>
>>4111830
If anything, I have a problem with not having proper analog acceleration.
>>
Yo so I found an arcade version of OutRun, and is there a specific way to change gears from low to high or is the shift just broken?
>>
>>4108981
Top Gear 2000 on SNES is better though... Just play top gear 2000, not top gear 3000 it was shit
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.