[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>pause button >on the console WHAT were they THINKING?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: pause.jpg (21KB, 329x142px) Image search: [Google]
pause.jpg
21KB, 329x142px
>pause button
>on the console

WHAT were they THINKING?
>>
>>4108426
one of the first consoles to incorporate a pause button kiddo
>>
>>4108431
Doesn't mean anything if they didn't implement it right - just like the Jaguar being the first "64 bit" system
>>
>>4108437
the difference is that a pause button is much more insignificant than, say, the entire structure and framework of your console's hardware.
>>
>>4108426
They were thinking a pause function might be a good idea. History has proven them correct. Your post has proven you underage.
>>
The Famicom had the pause button on controller 1, but the cables are so short that you still need to be sitting next to the console regardless,so it doesn't really make a difference.

It's not that big of a deal since you'll probably want to be near your master system so you can press reset anyway
>>
>>4108453
Nah, I played it back in the day and the pause button was mocked then just like how OP is doing.
>>
>>4108460
Or the off switch
>>
>>4108460
>so it doesn't really make a difference.
It has a difference, one consoles makes you move one finger, the other makes you move your whole arm, just to pause and unpause.
>>
Remember, this is the same company who packed the Genesis with a controller that only had a 3 foot cord. For some reason this company, for the better part of a decade, was thinking the console was going to be right next to you instead of the TV.
>>
>>4108498
Probably how it worked in Japan with their tiny apartments. Famicom was the same way so they probably figured if it worked for Nintendo why not copy it.
>>
>>4108426
It's a holdover from the SG-1000, which had an attached joystick with a cord so short you'd be easily able to reach the console.
>>
>>4108485
True, but you have to do that to reset anyway, and I don't know about you, but on 8 bit games I tend to hit reset much more than I pause.
>>
>>4108437
A lot of features are implemented poorly the first few times they happen, so I'm willing to forgive the Master System for it. That does not mean I am HAPPY that the pause button is there, not by any stretch.
>>
Why is the Master System library so shitty, /vr/?
>>
>>4108506
Except Nintendo's American counterparts had some nice, 7-foot controller cords. If Sega truly did copy Nintendo, they did a half-assed job of it and didn't think at all of the foreign markets.
>>
I was just playing Wonder Boy III on my Sega because of the remake, and boy had I forgot how annoying that pause button could be.

Last boss is also harder than I remember, I gave up yesterday.
>>
yes, it was awful design and they did it again with the master system 2. plus, the built in game (alex kidd) had an inventory screen that you had to access quite often by pushing pause. there's no way to defend this
>>
>>4108536
Because Americans stopped getting the games in the late 80s.
>>
>>4108679
>the built in game
Sonic was also built in to the Master Systems.
>>
>>4108536
because yur americunt
>>
File: 7800front.jpg (54KB, 850x505px) Image search: [Google]
7800front.jpg
54KB, 850x505px
The Atari 7800 was the same way.
>>
>>4108426
>WHAT were they THINKING?
iirc the sms 'pause feature' was actually a cpu lock, so it had to be integrated into the system itself
>>
It was perfect if you were playing on a TV in your bedroom, desu.
>>
>>4108797
>iirc the sms 'pause feature' was actually a cpu lock

Don't think so - in Alex Kidd, it brings up the inventory menu.
>>
>>4108807
He's semi-right. It's a non-maskable interrupt. The system is forced to jump the execution to memory address $0066 in the ROM and the interrupt needs to be serviced. This is something built right into the system, not the controller.

What the game actually does in the code starting at $0066 is up to the developer. You could just have it change the game state to a value that represents "paused" and have it run in a loop until the pause button gets pressed a second time, or you could have it open an inventory, for example.
>>
>>4108836
Hit Post too early.

What I mean to say is that >>4108797
Is half right in that the pause functionality is built right into the system with the CPU, but as a Non-maskable interrupt, not a "CPU Lock".
>>
>>4108498
>For some reason this company, for the better part of a decade, was thinking the console was going to be right next to you instead of the TV.
Headphone out?
>>
>>4108656
If you have the Hades armor and Heavenly shield, you'll have infinite lives
>>
Pause button generates a system interrupt.

Controller buttons set a bit in a register.

It makes sense for it to be on the console from that perspective.
>>
>>4108943
Sure, but they could have just designed the system without a pause interrupt and put an extra button on the controller, like the Famicom.

But hindsight is 20/20, and the interrupt thing is a valid reason for why they never "fixed" it with the Master System 2, since it would have broke all kinds of shit.
>>
>>4108426

Allows parents to pause your game with out wrestling the controller from you.
>>
>>4108901
Master System didn't have one, did it?
>>
>>4108839
aww~ i knew there was something odd about it, but could not recall the specifics of how it differed from other pause buttons
>>
File: padpause.jpg (678KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
padpause.jpg
678KB, 2048x1536px
>he hasn't modded his SMS controller to have a pause button
Fuckin plebian.
>>
>>4109510
spoiler that gore anon
>>
>>4109510
This would be an awesome thing to do if i buy an TecToy's old Master System!
>>
>>4109715
Why are Americans so averse to modding their systems?
>>
>>4109921
Our jewish overlords have made us incompetent and ignorant.
>>
>>4109921
ptsd from "tony's poop smells good" tier stuff
>>
>>4109921
Why did you assume he was american, australia-kun?
>>
>>4108463
>back in the day
Sure you did kiddo, sure it was kiddo.
>>
>>4110054
Why did you assume he was australia-kun, autist-kun?
>>
>>4108426
back then, you kept the console physically close to the player
really, the NES was the first to break that trend (and specifically the NES, not the famicom)

>>4108498
again, see above

>>4108943
you can download something onto an arduino and wire it in that allows you to use a Genesis controller and use the pause button on it (along with other shit like autofire on 6 button controllers)
there's also controller mods like >>4109510
>>
>>4108426
>WHAT were they THINKING?

It's nowhere near as stupid as putting a "select" button on the controller.
>>
>>4110163
maybe he's on the IRC channel.
anyway it's not too hard to guess in which threads will australia-kun be lurking, if it's castlevania and master systen, aussie will be there.
>>
>>4108836
>>4108839
That is rather interesting. Thanks for sharing this tidbit.
>>
>>4110358
The fact that you care this deeply about a literal nobody shitposter is alarming.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.