[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I going to like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170707_162152917.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170707_162152917.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
Made an impulse buy today. I love Chrono, Earthbound, and Mario RPG. Sick of being out of the loop on this one.
>>
It's my favorite of the entire series. 7 rightfully made an impression, but 6 was the one that got me. Tons of characters, great music that I remember to this day, and even though I played a ton of CRPGs, this was really the thing to get me into JRPGs.

Plus, you had those commercials on TV I'll never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG4TUPxQ0U
>>
Yes, you're gonna like it if you liked those three games. Chrono comes closest when comparing them. Has the best characters, villain and music of the 2D FF's. GO PLAY IT WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING HERE
>>
>>4105730
I remember doing the same, bought it for $50 randomly. As I began it I really did love but slowly and slowly it kind of just falls apart to me. The game has good qualities but I want to go over what I disliked about. The cast of the game is quite large, 14 party members in total. You might be thinking "surely not everyone is useful?" and sadly you're right. At one point the character genuinely just stop even being unique really at all and it comes down to "who has the best stats?". Look at chrono trigger, you have seven party members, only half of FFVI's selection, but all are fully capable in battle. During the game's final section a big plot twist happens and you kand of just wander around with no real story progression. You can see each character have thier subplot wrapped up but it still feels off and not really satisfying.

Personally I find CT much better. Hopefully you enjoy it more though anon, I hope you have feel it was worth it personally.
>>
>>4105730
You will love it. It is my Favorite Final Fantasy and one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>4105756
>Has the best characters, villain and music of the 2D FF's
But we're not talking about FFV.
>>
MISTER THOU
>>
>>4105761
>Final section.
You mean the halfway point?
Pretty sure that was the halfway point.
>>
>>4105838
>FFV characters are the best
fuck off, they're boring
>villain
shittier kefka
>music
mabye
>>
>>4105730

you'll like it. second half of the game is what really elevates it, imo.
>>
>>4105730
Dude, it's a classic for a reason. Above average dialogue and themes for a SNES game. Slightly above average combat for the time. And a ton of great scenarios (opera, train, ultros, world2, etc). Some of the best music for a Final Fantasy game. Uematsu at the top of his game and made right before his two masterpiece soundtracks. Big and lovable cast.
>>
WIthout a doubt THE best Final Fanatasy as well as one of the best games ever created.

Vast playable character selection (some throw aways)
Amazing sound track
Story is phenomenal
Decent challenge in some spots

I replay it at least ones every 3 years or so
>>
>>4105730
It's alright. The problem is that a lot of the reasons people remember it fondly are actually faults of the game.

For example, it has a bunch of characters and maybe an ounce of character development between them all. Most of them have virtually no personality, no story and will go no place.

Or take the villain. Usually in Final Fantasy titles, the true villain reveals himself halfway through the game as the master who was pulling the strings. People like FF6 because the "true villain" was actually the lackey of a smarter man who set all the events in motion, and the lackey just oopsie-daisied himself into supreme power instead. While it's fun they subverted expectation by having an incompetent clown become the main villain, at the end of the day... it's still just an incompetent clown. The only real threat in the game died halfway through.

The mechanics are also kind of garbage too. If you're a powergamer, you want to not level your people until you get Espers because they grant bonus stats on level-ups and aren't widely available for the first quarter of the game. But once they are available, every characters more or less becomes the exact same. Almost all of the unique character gimmicks rapidly begin to lose value as you level until you're stuck trying to remember why anyone would use the likes of Cyan's or Mog's abilities at all.

The music is good, but it's nothing special for a Final Fantasy. It was during that point when all of the Final Fantasy titles were churning out excellent tracks that became instant classics. Is Aria di Mezzo Carattere better than One-Winged Angel or Liberi Fatali? It's a matter of personal taste, but when all the Final Fantasy games of that day were producing numbers like that, it definitely makes the individual games stand out a little less from one another musically.

Altogether, it was a good, but not great entry in the series.
>>
>>4105730
How much did you buy it for?
>>
How rigid are old (pre-VI) Final Fantasy games?

I loved Chrono Trigger partially cause you could roll with any group, even removing Chrono entirely.

I know FF1 and 3 used the jobs system but how flexible are they? Can I realisticly roll with a group of white mages and win?
>>
>>4105730
I could never finish it.
Not for difficulty tho, I just found it boring.
>>
>59
>>
>>4106078
>fuck off, they're boring
As opposed to ten useless characters you only care about maybe two of, at best?
>kefka
Overrated trash, might as well gush about Muh Seffiroff.
>>
>>4105761
I disagree. Umaro and Cyan are the only two meh characters. Everyone else has something that makes them worthwhile to have or use, even lategame when everyone has the same spells.

Terra is a fucking monster, Celes can stop bullshit cold, Edgar and Sabin are physical death, Locke, Setzer, Relm, and Shadow can pull off one-hit kill bullshittery(the latter two can shrug off one-hit kills), Mog can eliminate random encounters and throw MP-free magical attacks, Strago has all sorts of broken magical attacks, Gau is broken as fuck if you get even one of his better rages, and Gogo is ridiculously overpowered.

I keep hearing people repeat this "they're all generic at the end" argument. Having spent ages grinding all characters to have every single spell in the game before finishing, I think that's bullshit. Even at the end, there's still a specific order I pick characters to go up against the final bosses.
>>
>>4106165
I like how wildly unspecific all the examples are.

>this guy is just physical death!
>>
>>4106165
The problem is once magacite comes into play basically everyone becomes samey though.
>>
>>4106170
I love how obvious it is you haven't even played the game, or you would already know why.
>>
>>4106176
I know that nothing Edgar has is remotely as powerful as the spells every character can acquire, and also weaker than most gear combinations. Not one of his Tools option approaches the Offering combo, which means Cyan could easily trump him.

One of us clearly doesn't know shit about the game.
>>
>>4106184
b-b-but muh auto-crossbow!
>>
File: 1467228270510.gif (312KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1467228270510.gif
312KB, 500x379px
>>4106184
>Cyan
>Offering
I'm out, you've just gone full retard.
>>
File: 1482426972169.jpg (246KB, 707x983px) Image search: [Google]
1482426972169.jpg
246KB, 707x983px
it's good shit, stop looking at this thread and play it
>>
>>4106202
But he's right and you're wrong. Cyan with the Offering combo blows anything Edgar has out of the water. And you listed Cyan as one of two bottom tier characters.

You should be embarrassed by your lack of game knowledge.
>>
>>4106129
I disagree. With the exception of Umaro, Gogo, and Mog, everyone had a reason for joining the party and received a decent amount of focus.

Also, at the point where Kefka gains ultimate power, he pretty much stops being in the game and the only thing you see is the effect he had on the world, which was a much greater impact than most of the shit he pulled when he was active in the story.
>>
>>4106214
Compared to other Final Fantasy games, even the characters who do get some small measure of background and character identity is still next to nothing. The fact that a handful of characters have absolutely no background and development just makes it seem like the others have more.

Take Gau. His background is purely his father dumping him on the Veldt. The most character development he gets is meeting his father who doesn't recognize him. That's it. He doesn't grow, doesn't change, and what we know about him is razor thin.

Or what about Strago? Outside the lore of the village he's from and being Relm's adoptive grandfather, he has nothing about himself. I mean, at one point he was going to have a wife but that was cut. So we know nothing about his background, was he married? Did he have kids of his own? What are his motivations? What personal obstacles does he overcome? The answer is nothing. He's another generic character meant to fulfill the Blue Mage hole the game had.

The handful of characters with any measure of actual history and development like Locke, Celes and Terra are very few and far between in the game and even then, compared to just about any other Final Fantasy title receive the barest minimum. That's what happens when you pad your game with the better part of a dozen unnecessary characters and try to squeeze in a little bit for each.
>>
>>4106184
But Edgar (and Mog) can be turned into the Dragoon death machine with the right materia combination. Something only those two characters can do.
>>
File: bestparty.png (48KB, 489x428px) Image search: [Google]
bestparty.png
48KB, 489x428px
Good choice. Price seems silly. payed that much for it when it first came out.
>>
>>4106257
That's honestly about what it goes for these days. Not a bad price from a shop. My local shop jacks up prices for popular games almost double ebay prices.
>>
>>4105730
Get ready for feels.
>>
>>4106256
Exactly. EQUIPMENT is what makes them powerful, not their individual abilities. And that was the original point. The guy was arguing about which characters are strong and which are weak and the reality is that magic and gear are what determine that. Halfway through the game their individual abilities quit being worth a damn and it's all about what they're equipped with and what spells they know.
>>
File: 1499570833982.png (328KB, 538x556px) Image search: [Google]
1499570833982.png
328KB, 538x556px
>>4105730
>$60 for FF6
>>
>>4106162
>Useless characters
Dainty anime princesses, old perverts, homeless vagrants and pirates-turned-anime-princesses are much more original.

>Overrated trash
Says someone who thinks a melodramatic tree is a better villain.
>>
>>4106257
>that party
full berserker mode
>>
I really wanted to like it, but it is a bit of a disappointment. Everything comes off as pretentious, and the fanbase that enjoys the game is insufferable.

Every enemy feels like a painting or statue, they are detailed and carefully crafted, but they have no animations, they don't move, you just perform shiny attacks against stationary pictures.

You know how in Chrono Trigger you could farm up power tabs and give someone max power, or farm up magic tabs and see how much magic damage Ayla can do with Tail Spin (A surprisingly large amount)? Well in FF6 there are more than 3 stats to be increased like this (7 I think?) but you can't max all of them, you have to choose, and sometimes you can choose none of them if you fight too many encounters early on.

You know how Chrono Trigger sometimes let you choose between 2 powerful items such as the Swallow VS the Safe Helm, or the Prism Dress VS the Prism Helms? But on a New Game+ you could choose the other option and complete your collection and use any combination of items you want. Well FF6 doesn't have New Game+, you just get dicked out of various one-off items where you have to lose one to get another drastically different one, or even have to lose a party member.

If you REALLY love the high fantasy theme of FF1-5 then you may enjoy 6 enough, but it is lacking in the charm or enjoyable aspects of other entries.
>>
>>4108632
>old perverts, homeless vagrants and pirates-turned-anime-princesses are much more original.
Name 5346567098 games that have these archetypes.
>>
FF6 has ugly artwork also when you get into battles with charaxters who have sprites they become all big and ugly meanwhile you keep your sprite.
>>
>>4105730
The second half ruins it for me with its dullness and aimlessness, but most people seem to like the game so you probably will too
>>
>>4105730
I thought Final Fantasy started at VII
>>
>>4105730
For me it's Kefka
>>
>>4106165
The only thing of Sabin's that runs off of Vigor is Pummel and his basic attack.
>>
>>4106138
FF1 is 'flexible' but the classes have major balance issues in every iteration of the game. FF3 is not flexible at all, it forces you to use certain classes or die at several points. You're looking for FF5.
>>
>>4105730
Don't play the SNES version. Play the Japanese version or the GBA remake with SNES sound/visual patches.
>>
>>4106294
What equipment a character can equip is pretty important mechanically. It might even be more important than their command skill. I would say that is part of their individuality.

It's the reason Locke isn't terrible and that Terra and Celes are monsters. Also the reason Sabin suffers.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.