[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were your gaming communities growing up? I spent some of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: thief3zzt.png (13KB, 480x350px) Image search: [Google]
thief3zzt.png
13KB, 480x350px
What were your gaming communities growing up?

I spent some of my childhood (in the case of ZZT) and much of my adolescence on forums and in IRC channels relating to ZZT, Megazeux, and Jazz Jackrabbit 2.
>>
Megaman sites, though mostly Megaman Matrix. They had a neat little chat room where you could select Megaman character avatars, albeit only the classic series.
>>
>>4104324
Zdoom forum from 8yo to 15yo, played a fuckton of doom wads. Also pokemon romhacks community
>>
>>4104324
Online Pokemon battling on IRC channels back in R/B/Y and G/S/C days. Every day after school for hours on end. Helped me learn english too!
>>
The french RPG Maker 2000 community
>>
My heart skipped a damn beat when I saw that picture.

Hello fellow ZZT/Megazeuxer! We're incredibly rare around these parts.

Even to this day I listen to the goddamn Caverns of Zeux soundtrack and other tracker music whenever I'm coding.
>>
>>4104324
>What were your gaming communities growing up?

Uh....my table at the school lunchroom?

Get off my lawn.

Look, I mean BBS's were a thing back then, but being a member of an online community was still relatively uncommon.
>>
>>4104324
>What were your gaming communities growing up?
the swing set next to my elementary school, telling lies about pokemon red/blue to each other.

Yeah Jason, you just have to beat the entire game with just your starter pokemon in one sitting with no saves, then push the truck next to the cruise ship and you'll find a pokeball with Mew in it!!! What do you mean it didn't work, obviously you didn't beat the gym leaders in the exact way I specified!
>>
AOL chats, random webrings of geocities and angelfire pages, GameFAQs, neogaf
>>
>>4104324
Used to play a couple of Wheel of Time PK MUDs mostly for social stuff. The game elements were fun too if you liked creative griefing.
>>
>>4105840
this

My gaming childhood was spent playing handheld games at afterschool daycare, and summer daycamp

Didn't really use the internet much until I was 11 or 12 when I got my own computer. And for gaming sites, I was mostly a GameFAQs normie.
>>
>>4106318
This. Didn't really have a computer as a kid.

Teenage/adolescent years my gaming 'community' was a GameFAQs board and /v/.
>>
earliest I can remember was local shit until like just before 2000 when I started playing Diablo

then cheatlist, phrozenkeep and blizzhackers during Diablo 2 launch
>>
>>4104324

the Megaman Network forums (I think that's what it was called), The Mushroom Kingdom forums, Bob and George forums, some Harvest Moon RP forum. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

This was all when I was around 11-12 around the turn of the century.
>>
>>4105840

Yep. My community consisted of guys swapping tapes.
>>
I didn't have one. I was too poor to afford more than one or two new games a year. Zelda/Mario/Sonic ate up those.

I might not get any if the console had to be bought first. My N64 stayed in-box unplayed for over half a year due to no gaemes.
>>
File: debian1.png (291KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
debian1.png
291KB, 1280x960px
I'm was a very socially inept aspie kid so I didn't belong in any community, at least not IRL. I have lots of brothers who are into computing so they were pretty much the only community I had. Of course I visited some IRC channels and forums, but I was never a part in any community.
>>
My brother.
>>
>>4104324

Game Shark code creators club forum when i was 13. I didn't even own a computer but used to go on at school, the library and a community access site. I did own a gameshark pro though.

I did nothing but ask questions and troll and taught one poster how to é.

Those were the days.
>>
>>4104324
dude do you like taoyarin

what about &
>>
>>4104324
Back in the day every forum wanted to be liek Something Awful and their moderators with God complexes who constantly butted into discussions and banned people for disagreeing. I'm not at all sad to see bbs forums die.
>>
>>4104324
Never did that shit. Forum posting other than 4chan is not something I'm down to do.
>>
>>4104361
Damn skippy. It's a shame the website is basically just a dead forum with nothing else now.
>>
>>4104324
Wish I'd seen ZZT's glory days, but I was just a little late.
>>
PokeCommunity
MFGG
>>
Used to dick around on a Nintendo Friend Code sharing designed forum called NintendoWorlds (originally Wiipals). Had all the usual forum problems but started as a labor of love from a dedicated Earthbound fanatic that kept the peace. Once he left for greener pastures it all went to shit fast with the power vacuum and mod/member base bullshit that is to be expected.

I miss it a lot.
>>
>>4107616
>MFGG
Me too. Which years were you active?
>>
A couple PHPBB forums. Quit that shit in the Early 00s.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.