[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Resellers / Flippers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: woo.jpg (1MB, 3741x2104px) Image search: [Google]
woo.jpg
1MB, 3741x2104px
Necessary Evil to put games back into circulation, or a plague on the retro game community? I use to hate their guts, but after hearing Goodwill & other store usually just throw away any games they can't sell I'm starting to question the whole thing. Thoughts?
>>
>>4102694
It's a bit of both.

The stock will have to come from somewhere. If it's a shitty gamestore, or a guy scavenging garage sales it opens it up for more people to get product.

These days, the only thing I'm really interested in is doing repairs. It feels good to make a bit of profit while restoring things to their former glory.
>>
>>4102694
They're nothing compared to the faggots that only "collect" games and never play them. At least scalpers put games back into circulation, even if it is at an inflated price.
>>
>>4102710

Well then why do people get so pissed off at game flippers then? If you collect a game, & it stays off the market forever because it's on your bookshelf, isn't that much worse than someone going through all the games at a salvation army & throwing them on eBay?
>>
>>4102694

Dudes hustling to get paid. Why hate? They're doing the hard work. Anyone can buy shit off eBay.
>>
>>4102720

That's a very adult opinion. Most people would think resellers are stealing these games from other, more deserving people. As if they're entitled to sega saturn games for $1.00 a piece when literally anyone could buy it.
>>
>>4102715
>Well then why do people get so pissed off at game flippers then?
They're upset they can't get hard to find games for cheap. It's even sillier when you consider there's several workarounds to shit like this now:
>emulation
>flash carts
>burnt disks
>out-of-region copies
>ports
>etc.

What really gets me is that someone would sooner pay $550 for Albert Odyssey than spend it all towards much better and cheaper JRPGs on the PS1. Granted, they're completely entitled to do what they want with their own money.
>>
>>4102720
Why were people bidding hundreds for Nintendo Minis? Blame them.
>>
>>4102816

Not retro. 2016 product.
Those are scalpers. Different breed entirely.
>>
>>4102694
The games are/were already in circulation before the reseller/hoarder came along. All they did was constrict supply to inflate the value of what they are holding and drum up artificial demand.
>>
>>4102720
The thing is, non-resellers do in fact do the hard work. Resellers just do the hard work shortly before places officially open.
>>
>>4102694
Necessary evil. Not saying the games wouldn't go back into circulation some other way, it's just faster that way. Look up any game on ebay and there is bound to be atleast a few copies on there, no matter the price.
>>
>>4102710
This is slightly off topic but it reminded me of something I was thinking about the other day.

At what point do you become, or get considered, a "collector" as opposed to someone who just enjoys games? When I think of a collector I think of someone who buys little plastic bags for comic books and keeps things framed and never touches them because they're "rare". For example, I own a shit load of books, I love reading and I love books. I don't buy books just to fill up space on my shelves I buy books because I read them and if I don't like them I sell them/give them away so someone else can enjoy them and I keep the books I like because I like them and I usually read them again at some point. But would I be considered a collector? Lots of people have books that they like and I just happen to have a lot of books that I like.

If someone proudly boasts that they've got every single game for the Neo Geo complete in box but they never actually played any of them what would you call them? Besides rich and stupid.
>>
>>4103010
The point where you're buying
>duplicates
>controllers/consoles just for the sake of owning them, rather than using them
>buying stuff because it's a "label upgrade"
>having more games than you can feasibly beat within 10 years.
>>
File: 3DO%20cover%20US[2].jpg (143KB, 460x866px) Image search: [Google]
3DO%20cover%20US[2].jpg
143KB, 460x866px
Haven't had one of these threads in a while I guess

People who get angry at the resellers either don't understand the laws of supply and demand or are really angry with themselves for not getting into the collection hobby early enough and/or not getting up early enough or being aggressive enough to beat the resellers to the source. They could even be more generally mad at themselves and people like themselves for being part of the trend that's really responsible for the rise in prices caused by the increase in demand for the games. Resellers actually drive the (online anyway) prices down by increasing the supply - in 99% of the cases anyway, EB being an exception.

You aspiring collectors should actually consider yourselves lucky in this digital age compared to ages past collectorfags who literally couldn't listen to those obscure songs or read those stories without actually buying the LPs or comics they wanted so desperately. You have all that media right at your fingertips and the collecting itself is mainly just a dick measuring thing.

It does kind of suck on some level that practically everyone is online now and aware of things' value. You rarely find anything at a fraction of its value anymore from adventure shopping which has always been a favorite hobby of mine but shipping is still a factor when it comes to items with a perceived value of under $5 which currently includes most 6th and 7th gen games so get out there and collect those if you want to have fun. It blows my mind when the same people who lust after SNES games think Wii games are worthless and always will be but I'm fine with trading a loose SNES double of mine for their whole collection.
>>
>>4103187
Artificial price setting has nothing to do with supply and demand. That's why prices went up in 2013 with EBay's change to auctions.
>>
>>4103198
Well ebay does sort of have a corner on the market even now despite amazon making gains but that has nothing to do with the sellers unless you expect them just to eat the increased fees. It takes a while for them to migrate to other sites and for their customers to find them.
>>
>>4103225
Fees are one thing. The biggest thing was in 2012/13 when EBay made BiNs free to list. This allows sellers to list an item at an artificial price determined by the seller and not the buyer. They then sit on that item because there's no risk no cost.

Safe to say that 99% of desirable retro video games and hardware would go for well under their "normal price" if you set an auction at 99 cents and let it go. I rarely let things go for at auction unless it's something that's really hot at the moment. Like right after an eceleb does a video. I'm not a big ebayer or anything but I can still see this trend since I've been on ebay for ever with various accounts. The more obscure consoles like Saturn and TG16 are especially effected by this and you should never let anything go for auction with that stuff.

It's not capitalism or free market. It's basically crony capitalism but instead of the business being protected by government it's ebay.
>>
>>4103235
Why have you had multiple accounts? I've had the same account for 19 years
>>
>>4103256
They either weren't mine or were with a different bank/credit union/paypal.
>>
>>4102694
If it's Salvation Army I try and make it a point and pay what they want or something close to it. If its rip offs like Good Will my skill is my limit for acquiring. Fuck Good Will. They're scum.
>>
>>4102704
>It feels good to make a bit of profit while restoring things to their former glory.
This

>>4102694
You find the deals as you go along. There are people hell bent on obtaining every single game, including shitty ones, just to not play them and brag about how huge their collection is, why even bother? I'm pretty fortunate to live in an area where retro games are kind of just clutter in peoples houses that they want to get rid of. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories in the bigger city stores.
>>
File: 1499055749133.jpg (46KB, 720x918px) Image search: [Google]
1499055749133.jpg
46KB, 720x918px
>>4102694
>controllers/consoles just for the sake of owning them, rather than using them

You can't stop my love for various colored transparent plastic of dreamcast peripherials

I think i need help
>>
>>4103295
Salvation army allows all manner of anti-white hate speech and harassment from "migrants", AKA syrian bastards. Don't support them if you see obvious foreigners in there.
>>
>>4104273
Holy shit are you me?!
>>
>>4104293
>muh white genocide

Y'know what's great? Video games.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.