[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this? How do I get good at it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

File: SI_WiiVC_FZeroX.jpg (93KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
SI_WiiVC_FZeroX.jpg
93KB, 1000x500px
Thoughts on this?
How do I get good at it
>>
>>4102560
Easily the best racer on the n64.

[/spoiler]I'd even say best racer of that gen[/spoiler]

Just play it anon. It really isn't that difficult. Just don't get over 1400kph on Silence so you don't randomly fly off the track.
>>
>>4102587
I am playing it, I just need more advice on how to play it better.
So far the best I've done is 3rd on the first circuit out of like ten attempts.
>>
>>4102592
What difficulty are you playing?
If you're in beginner, just get gooder.
if you're in more advanced cups, you need to kill your rival (rival is market with an arrow). To destroy other machines you need to double tap R while you're turning on the direction you want, it will make your machine spin. It gets some time to get it right, but for the first few cups, you don't really need to do that.
>>
>>4102592
Are you emulating? What difficulty are you playing on?

If you are emulating, set a half decent deadzone. I'm not going to say that the steering takes finesse but it it can be touchy, especially if you're playing someone with like a D or an E grip rating.

You can usually set the acceleration/top speed bar two or so notches all the way from the right.

Who have you been playing as?

Really though, the game isn't difficult. I only rarely lose cups on master anymore. Maybe it's because of how much I have played it though. I don't remember it being particularly difficult at any point.
>>
>>4102595
I'm playing on Standard.
Is killing my rival mandated by the game, or just a suggestion?
>>
>>4102603
I only go out of my way on higher difficulties, and only if the score is close.

You can get to the last track, be in 6th place on the leaderboards, kill your rival and still win the cup if you come in third 4 out of five times. Just watch the point tally.
>>
>>4102603
If it's standard then you don't really need to kill anyone
>mandated by the game
Well, it's only really mandated on death match mode (which is amazing), but it's also necessary when you play on master cup, the other machines will also try to kill you anyway.
Maybe it is possible to win without killin on master, but I haven't been able to.
>>
>>4102597
Emulating the english hack of the expansion pack with PJ64. I'm still new to N64 emulation, but it seems to work fine.

I'm using a 360 controller, and I have it set to 50% "range". Seems to work fine enough for me.

Captain Falcon, when I got 3rd I set my speed three notches.

>>4102605
Do I get points for killing people? How many, if so?
>>
>>4102560
F-Zero GX is better, just play that instead.
>>
>>4102624
Not retro. Also debatable, both are good, but I find X to be more tight, especially the controls.
>>
>>4102617
>Do I get points for killing people? How many, if so?

You don't get points, but you get stars. 5 stars gives you an extra life.

>I'm using a 360 controller, and I have it set to 50% "range". Seems to work fine enough for me.

F-Zero X is one of the few games I refuse to play without an actually n64 controller. The analog stick on it just feels perfect for it.

>>4102624
I've never understood how anyone could like GX more than X.
>>
>>4102630
>Never understood
Better graphics by a mile, story is an amazing mix of goofy and badass, great techno music (Gotta give it up for X's speed metal though), incredibly exciting higher difficulties will make you feel like a GOD when you finally win, great controls, vehicle melee is done a lot better. Both good games but GX just improves. And it was by Amusement Vision, the based motherfuckers who made Monkey Ball.

>>4102628
Oh fuck off. It's better than X, and has retro design philosophy. It deserves mention.
>>
I forgot to ask how the FUCK do I get good at Big Blue?
Do I just need to go on as many boosts as possible?
>>4102630
I don't have any way to hook a 64 controller up to my PC at the moment, otherwise I would at least try it with it.
>>
>>4102595
Listen to this Anon. F-Zero X is a beat-em-up disguised as a racing game.
>>
>>4102638
>Oh fuck off
?
>and has retro design philosophy.
?
>It deserves mention.
Sure, it's a great game, but OP asked for X, which is actually retro. Many people prefer X to GX (that doesn't mean they don't like GX though).
>>
How's the Virtual Console Port of X? Is it playable, or did they mess up the controls due to the difference in stick sensitivity?
>>
>>4103012
I read a review that said that they did, but I haven't personally played it.
There's not much of a reason not to emulate it, since you can play the expansion pack that way.
>>
File: f-zerowheels.jpg (57KB, 492x535px) Image search: [Google]
f-zerowheels.jpg
57KB, 492x535px
>>4102560
Steering wheel of some kind.
I recommend this gyro controller for emulation.
I recommend the madcatz wheel for actual hardware.

the point of the wheel is if you steer too fast your ship thing drifts and you slow way the fuck down. its actually piss easy with a wheel.
>>
>>4103012
Horrible dead zone, input lag, looks and it somehow runs worse than on an actual N64. The only reason to play the VC version is if you were against emulating because you had to play an official release and you aren't able to play on a real N64 but desperate to play the game.
>>
>N64 games are not only hard to emulate, but the controls are also hard to replicate due to the N64's stick

fuuuuuuuuuu
>>
>>4103325
That's what happens when you have what is to date the best stick in the industry.
>>
>>4103469
Best in everything except durability...
>>
>>4102560
Great game with lots of good hacks too, only n64 I know of with hacks aside from SM64.
>>
>>4103498
Sad but true, still the best though.
>>
>>4103498
>>4103469
>>4103726
why do only they get so loose anyway?
>>
>>4103751
The entire joystick is made of plastic, and there is no lubricant so the parts just eventually wear against each other. Because it's plastic, if even a slight excessive force is applied the plastic wears faster. You can almost completely eliminate the wear by applying a plastic-safe grease to the gears/stick/bowl.

I've heard that Japanese controllers had the lube added during manufacturing, and thus can typically be found in better condition. Supposedly NoA didn't want the lube on US controllers because it wasn't food-safe and might be a safety hazard. I have no idea if this is true or just an internet rumor.

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-48232-Tube-Soft-Serve-Lubricant/dp/B009T8PZR2

This is the lube I use on my sticks and it works great. I read about it on some smash64 forum years ago.
>>
>>4102560
Just play gx instead, aka the greatest racer ever made. Everything is a downgrade after that.
>>
>>4102560
Glad you made this thread op. I picked up this game about a month ago and holy shit I fucking love it. The gameplay, music, etc. are great and is just a joy to play. Somehow this one went under the radar for me back in the day which is really odd because I had a N64, loved the original F-Zero, and was even into games like Wipeout and stuff at the time so I have no idea how I missed out on this one but I would have loved it. my only explanation I may have crossed over from a parallel universe where this game didn't exist.

Anyway I didn't know about killing the opponents but I have accidentally done that move while sharp turning. I was able to clear all the cups on standard pretty easily by just out racing everyone but I usually can't even place in expert because everyone is just too damn fast. I don't think I could even catch my rival to destroy them. Also if I go too fast I start to spin out from even doing slight turns, how do I prevent this?
>>
>>4103852
What are you playing it on?
If you're emulating, turn your sensitivity down a bit. I did it and I improved so fucking much.
>>
>>4103852
Destroying the other racers also gives you more energy. It's worth it to murder anyone you can, not just the rival.
>>
File: 1494730734685.gif (554KB, 540x772px) Image search: [Google]
1494730734685.gif
554KB, 540x772px
OP here.
>mfw I look up the manual and there's slide and drift turning
>mfw I had just set Z and R to left and right bumper thinking there wasn't any difference
On the bright side, I just got 1st on the Jack Cup on standard finally.
Once I fixed my sensitivity, Big Blue wasn't that bad.
Port Town can still go fuck itself though.
>>
File: fzerox.gif (126KB, 500x444px) Image search: [Google]
fzerox.gif
126KB, 500x444px
>>4103852
I guess I also come from that parallel universe, I also had a N64, loved the original F-Zero, etc and I don't remember F-Zero X back in the day, not even in official Nintendo magazines.
Finally got to know it existed later on and got a complete copy of it around 2007, loved it ever since.
>>
>>4103486
Wipeout 64 is boring.
>>
>>4103996
I'm playing it on N64.

>>4104001
Ok, I'll give that a shot.

>>4104032
Looks like we found another Mandela effect. I also was really into games and read gaming magazines, etc. so when I found out about it a few years ago I thought it was really weird that I didn't remember it being released, I totally would have at least rented it back then. Maybe it just wasn't advertised well and went unnoticed?
>>
>>4103852
>how dos I turn?
The secret to getting good at F-Zero X is double-tapping Z OR R. Not AND, OR. Alternating the two makes you do a wild spin which knocks people around but is unstable. Hammering one or the other makes you kind of jolt to the side without losing acceleration. This move lets you brutally ram other machines alongside you and also can be used to take tight turns at speed by sliding across in the direction you're already moving. Once you work this out the game is balls easy.

And as for beating the game on insane, don't try to win every race, just eliminate as many high placing racers as possible while aiming for the top 6.
>>
It was great, wish Death Race was in GX.
>>
File: 1468464714358.jpg (272KB, 500x735px) Image search: [Google]
1468464714358.jpg
272KB, 500x735px
>White Land
>>
File: fzeroxJodySummerWhiteCat.jpg (44KB, 591x456px) Image search: [Google]
fzeroxJodySummerWhiteCat.jpg
44KB, 591x456px
Why is she so perfect?
>>
>>4106197
>two c's and an a
That's a weird definition of perfect.
>>
>>4106272
There's no AAA ship anyway, CCA is a pretty good combination.
>>
>>4106275
It's actually the opposite, the A grip would prevent you from sliding and the C boost is just mediocre.
>>
File: 2016-12-30-151857.jpg (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-30-151857.jpg
81KB, 640x480px
Got an Everdrive last year and holy fuck are the Expansion kit tracks tough
>>
>>4106275
There's the three expansion kit ships with all a's.
>>
>>4106946
Literally retro DLC
>>
>>4106947
Back then we called it "Expansion Packs" because you had to go buy something physical to use with it and you typically needed the base game as well.
Please don't bring your non-retro stuff here.
>>
>>4107150
Come to think of it, there was no reason why F-Zero X DD couldn't have included the base game, the rom is only like 20 mb.
>>
File: 1494809828234.gif (70KB, 296x335px) Image search: [Google]
1494809828234.gif
70KB, 296x335px
>>4107157
But it does, doesn't it?
>>
>>4107748
Nope, it requires the original cart.
>>
>>4107759
Oh, my mistake.
But you can play both without having to swap out stuff, right? I don't know how the DD works.
>>
>>4107870
The DD is attached to the bottom of the console.
>>
Still play every now and then with my friends.
Red Gazelle Master race reporting in.
>>
>>4107873
Can you attach the DD to a NTSC N64? I still have my copy of the game and my N64.
>>
>>4108305
As far as I know the Japanese and US N64s are the same besides having a different plastic stopper for region locking.
>>
File: 1473353627154.gif (144KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1473353627154.gif
144KB, 180x180px
>mfw trying to get the level editor to work
>>
File: 1462082090402.jpg (21KB, 405x266px) Image search: [Google]
1462082090402.jpg
21KB, 405x266px
OP here.
Please someone explain the fucking differences between drifting and sliding to me in this game, I'm like six hours in and I still don't understand what I'm doing
Is holding Z+R make some sort of combination of the two? I was dicking around on Big Foot, and I couldn't make the first turn until I did that.
>>
>>4109648
Sliding is holding Z or R in the direction you want to go and using that force for the turn, but people also use sliding to refer to a drift. For the drift you want to press Z or R in the opposite direction then move the stick normally, though this is harder for machines with good grip. If you use a machine with low grip and max accel for a drift you can easily gain temporary speed from said drift which can be useful if you get good. If you're feeling really autistic one of the best F-Zero X time attackers made a big guide for the game a couple days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyrbNIapsP4
http://www.fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14165
>>
>>4109836
Thanks anon
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.