[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asteroids and Asteroids accessories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (9KB, 200x169px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9KB, 200x169px
Let's talk about games where you rotate your ship, thrust, shoot at things and maybe have to deal with some gravity

>Asteroids
>Blasteroids
>Solar Jetman
>Subterranean
>Gravitar
>Space Duel
>Lunar Lander (kinda)

also others
>>
>>4099782
for you and your favorite SNES emulator :
filedropper.???/phoenix_2

where "???" is "com"
>>
>>4099782
Don't forget Sinistar!
>>
>>4100443
Great game, but I don't think it counts, because you just move freely with the stick rather than a thrust button with inertia.
>>
File: testt.png (22KB, 142x104px) Image search: [Google]
testt.png
22KB, 142x104px
>>4099782
Space Wars for best ship.
>>
Recently tried out Star Control 1 and 2 for the first time. I've only messed around a bit in the first game doing space battles and nothing else really, can't figure out how I'm supposed to read the 3D map so I haven't played much of that mode.

Played a bit of the second and got killed by robot things while I was trying to chase down an alien ship. I want to play more of it though, seems pretty interesting.
>>
Despite playing crap rip offs of it for years, I only really "got" Asteroids when playing it for real in an arcade. The proper vector screen is mesmerizing and it's a genuinely great game. Getting in the zone for UFO hunting is some pure as fuck gaming.

Another classic of the genre is Thrust on the C64. Heavily inspired by Gravitar, but it brings a load of new ideas to the table, most notably having to deal with a weighted object that creates a pendulum effect, and lots of puzzling while dealing with the above.
>>
File: tmp_27903-hawk-011006646043.png (1KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_27903-hawk-011006646043.png
1KB, 320x200px
Got an intellivision recently and Space Hawk is one of the games that I didn't expect to like much but it's pretty amazing. It starts off slow but ramps up the intensity at higher levels and becomes some pure drift rush balls out action.
>>
>>4101063
>Despite playing crap rip offs of it for years, I only really "got" Asteroids when playing it for real in an arcade. The proper vector screen is mesmerizing and it's a genuinely great game.

Same here. I didn't expect to be wowed by it so much but playing the actual arcade machine is great. The glow on everything is amazing. The shine of your missiles is especially great.

The arcade game is downright beautiful to look at and play. Any imitators who only copy the line art are sorely off point when it comes to mimicking the style.
>>
>>4101063
>>4102859
Not to mention the sounds. The super deep rumble of the asteroids exploding is still one of the single best sounds in games.
>>
>>4101046
You have to just sit and watch it spin. Eventually you can kinda tell which stars are close-ish and which stars are in line with the route you want to go.

I wish full game was modded into sc2. The rules are so easy and multiplayer would be sick.

The slylandro are notorious for entry barrier. Try fighting them in melee mode so you can get some sort of idea what their tactics are. Or just keep reloading from before the fight.

do you have fwiffo?
>>
File: AR1_1[1].jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AR1_1[1].jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>4102872
The machine to play Asteroids was so strange. The sounds for the game were literally hand wired by Howard Delman.
>>
>>4102859
True but it's still nice on an LCD
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.