[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metroid: Zero Mission

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 41

File: 1498426858150.jpg (43KB, 480x306px) Image search: [Google]
1498426858150.jpg
43KB, 480x306px
What makes this games so good? It's an absolute masterpiece in terms of ost,gameplay and level design. Why would anyone prefer fusion to this?
Also,general metroid 2 remake thread.
>>
>>4099071
>Why would anyone prefer fusion to this?
Nostalgia boners. It's like the FFVII of the Metroid franchise, most people playing it probably don't know shit about anything before and after it.

Zero Mission was only really appreciated by people who played the first game and Super.
>>
>>4099071
I think Zero Mission is kinda redundant, since Super was already kind of a remake of Metroid 1.
It did horror really well, while ZM was mostly just fun. The boss fights were also a lot more fun.
>>
>>4099115
Fusion is too much linear. I prefer the profression in zm. Also the graphics and ost are better, too.
I hope they din't fuck up the 2 remake tho. Am2r it's a really solid game.
>>
>>4099115
>It did horror really well
The series already did it far better before Fusion, though.
Being helpless isn't mandatory in horror, horror with badass protagonists like Alien and Evil Dead exist, anon.

I'd go as far as to say Samus and her rambling about Adam and fear of SA-X in Fusion planted the seeds that would become the murder of her character entirely in Other M.
>>
>>4099136
>badass protagonists like Alien
And just like aliens she's being hunted down by a far superior alien that could dispose of her in seconds! Literally same thing..
>>
>>4099217
You're a moron. Even Sakamoto said Aliens was a huge influence.

Google it and read an interview, get your facts right before dribbling your BS.
>>
>>4099267
Opinions anon. You believed your opinion was a fact.

You was incorrect. Google it for actual facts.
>>
>>4099285
Stop moving goal posts. You stated it's 100% original which it isn't. It's based on many things aliens being one of them.. hell even ripley is named after fucking ripley you mong.. oh and she does go into a suit and battles an alien. Suit / machine.

Seriously. Fucking google it and read.
>>
>>4099385
Not the guy you're talking to, but Ridleys name comes from Ridley Scott, the director of the Alien movies
>>
>>4099071

Fusion is actually challenging and has good boss fights

Hard mode ZM is all right.
>>
File: 639.gif (65KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
639.gif
65KB, 400x271px
>>4099385

Please stop posting, this is embarrassing.
>>
>>4099494
"I think the film Alien had a huge influence on the production of the first Metroid game. All of the team members were affected by HR Giger's design work, and I think they were aware that such designs would be a good match for the Metroid world we had already put in place."-Sakamoto
Shut the fuck up now
>>
>>4099579
Not any of the people you were responding to, but you are taking "inspired by" too literally.

Every post-1999 movie that has sunglasses and leather and slo-mo was inspired by The Matrix, even though they don't have the same story. Same way The Matrix isn't the same story as Ghost in the Shell.
>>
File: engineer.jpg (122KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
engineer.jpg
122KB, 1400x700px
> Nobody pointing out the most obvious influence between Alien and Metroid.
>>
Best metroid game imo. Super metroid it's way too overated.
>>
>>4099123
I can't say I care much for ZM's nonlinearity, as it tends to be pretty boring in practice. A lot of ZM's sequence breaks just amount to shooting some hidden missile blocks to skip a room. You've also got dumb shit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6t8jsOI4w
>>
>>4099883
The fun in Zm is exploring and collecting all the powerups, otherwise the game would be boring and you wouldn't feel that sense of oppresion. Also, why would you skip all that section?
>>
>>4099657
Who cares?
>>
File: 8e8.png (17KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
8e8.png
17KB, 509x619px
Speaking of Zero Mission, Perfect Stealth...who has done it?

I can't even get past the first space pirate without being spotted
>>
>>4099883
I agree that it's not nonlinear at the same level as Super, but the important thing is that you FEEL like you have the freedom to do things the way you want. Experimentation is rewarded by opening up alternative paths.

Fusion didn't have that; you're railroaded into doing things in a set order as dictated by the game, allowing you little room for exploration and discovery.
>>
>>4099071
>Why would anyone prefer fusion to this
Who the hell prefers fusion over anything? Fusion missed the point of Metroid by a mile with it being completely railroaded by PLOT. Even Prime was a more faithful Metroid experience despite not being 2D.
ZM was pretty damn good but it was lacking the option to turn off "where to go next" markers like in Prime.

I wish they'd remake Fusion in a way that gave you more freedom to explore and had SA-X running around the map in real time. It'd be kind of a survival horror game in that sense.
>>
>>4100304
Well, many people on the forums says that fusion is the best metroid on the gba, and there are plenty.
Many people don't like the markers, but sometimes they show a point that's even outside the map. You would never guess where to go trough your first playtrough, they are necessary.
>>
>>4100320
>but sometimes they show a point that's even outside the map. You would never guess where to go trough your first playtrough, they are necessary.
Are you serious anon? How about exploring? You know, that thing you do in Metroid? The ways to progress in Super were much more obscure sometimes and it was still beatable.
>>
>>4100320
In what way are they necessary? The game locks off any area except the one you're supposed to go to anyway. It's literally impossible to get lost.

People somehow managed in every previous Metroid game just fine without markers.
>>
>>4100332
>The game locks off any area except where you are supposed to go
Well no, if you know the game well you can skip entire sections and powerups.
Also you can explore those "locked areas" but you can't go very far cause you don't have the necessary powerups just like amy other metroidvania.
>>
File: Metroid_FDS_boxart.jpg (260KB, 512x577px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_FDS_boxart.jpg
260KB, 512x577px
This is a good game, it deserves more recognition
>>
How am I gonna use the link function on the emulator?
>>
>>4099071

Well, I just replayed Zero Mission, so let me tell you why I still do.

A Metroid game is all about atmosphere for me, and Zero Mission falls way flat mainly cause of the music. I like Kraid's lair theme but other than that, this game has some really poor choices for soundfonts, Brinstar's theme sounds specially horrible. Aside from maybe the newly added Chozo Ruins, there's nothing that reaches the level of Maridia or come to think of it, anything in Fusion. Fusion had atmospheric pieces that accompanied the landscape of the sector you were in, and Zero Mission limited itself way too much to the original Metroid, and it shows. The comic book backgrounds are nice I guess, but coupled with the bright remakes of Metroid and SM tiles, it just doesn't look immersive. I'm aware this whole point is quite subjective, yes, but it bothered me when it came out as well, so i can't ignore it.

In terms of difficulty, it's an undeniable step down from Fusion, albeit I found it harder than Super Metroid. There's some mild threats in the form of those jumping giant fuckers and both forms of Ridley (quite the heavy hitters) but overall, dying is not common. Save stations are even more plentiful than in Fusion, and not justified by several visits to the area, Ridley's lair has 4 or 5. This was most likely to make the game a more "portable" experience and I understand it, but it does decrease the tension. Just like the difficulty. Bosses in ZM are fine, and those little cutscenes are welcome adittions, but here's also a step down from Fusion; battles are too simple, easy and far too few in a game that, correct me if I'm wrong, is larger than Fusion.

There's the same degree of "exploration" than in Fusion. Chozo statues still tell you where to go, and in the few optional challenge areas theer's nothing like unique enemies, like Super Metroid did, a game which compromised its difficulty for freedom in the first place.(1/2)
>>
File: Crocomire_by_sovanjedi.gif (58KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Crocomire_by_sovanjedi.gif
58KB, 800x600px
>>4101710
(2/2)
There's no missable items like in Super, and furthermore, the game doesn't lock you in that stealth section like I initially thought, so that's a positive. But, while those secret tunnels between areas in Fusion were not enough to get around the space station, this game just removes that altogether and has even LESS links between areas than Super Metroid, making it the Metroid game with the most isolated areas and that's the biggest chore to traverse. Meh. Metroid really needs a warp between save points function, or dedicated warp points like in the Igavanias.

And finally, some little pet peeves of mine. Not being able to turn off items like in Super Metroid bites this game in the ass: no removable ice beam. Fusion did away with this by making the beam upgrades just that, upgrades, but the ice beam permanently locks you with an additional property that might be awkward to deal with. No new powerups , when even Fusion had one or two. Furthermore, Zero Suit Samus. I hate everything about her. It's been 14 years and I still haven't gotten over her existance. Fuck you, Sakamoto.

Still, outside of this I liked it more than when I was a kid. So yep, Zero Mission is a good game but it feels like a step back for the sake of nostalgia. Fusion is above it in terms of atmosphere, looks, gameplay and originality, and Super Metroid is heavens above both in terms of "exploration". Still, thankfully, it borrows from both of them rather than from the original, and that makes it a good Metroid imo.

But they should have put Crocomire in the finished game, I'm still mad about that too.
>>
>>4100304
>completely railroaded
It's still a good game though. Not every Metroid game has to fall totally into the metroidvania meme if the game is good.
>>
Both Fusion and ZM are fun, but different, games.

While being ordered around by a computer in Fusion is in stark contrast to SM and what made it so great, the atmosphere and idea of being a bounty hunter exterminating shit a la Metroid 2 works very well in its own right. It's a different game, to be sure, but different isn't immediately bad. It's like Zelda 1 vs Zelda 2. It's a fresh take on a game that would otherwise be creatively stale.

ZM (ignoring the chozos) was a great remake too that is like M1 and SM in its loneliness, but also a bit like Fusion with its narration. The game design was fun because you could play the game in different ways, such as low %, although it can feel a little too engineered at times. The inclusion of M1, totally making the already gay NES classic Metroid cart even more gay, was a very nice addition. Lot's of value (if you picked it up at the time) for a single game.
>>
>>4101714
Why do you describe the ice laser beam as an unwnated powerup? It's just an upgrade, it doesn't slow you down.
Fusion is way too piloted and strict to enjoy it. Yeah in Zm you still have the markers but you are free to go wherever you want (except if you don't have the necessary powerups) and you also have a good amount of secrets to discover increasing replay value.
>>
>>4101780
It's a remake, you dumbass, therefore it's allowed to be discussed on this board.

>writing sage on the post
Are you liking summer so far?
>>
File: yedi_zeela_mf_thm.jpg (52KB, 644x343px) Image search: [Google]
yedi_zeela_mf_thm.jpg
52KB, 644x343px
>>4101790
>Why do you describe the ice laser beam as an unwnated powerup?
It might make enemies take one additional hit to kill, so yes, it does slow you down. The developers of Super Metroid knew this, and made it so you get special effects in your beam if you deactivated the Ice. The developers of Fusion went one step beyond and made your secondary weapon the one that freezes enemies, so I know this isn't just me.

>you also have a good amount of secrets to discover increasing replay value
Meh, it's a paltry ammount compared to what's in Super Metroid. Take Maridia for example. That place has several enemies you'd never see if you didn't explore and find them, like the Gamera turtle, the digging robot, or the rolling Nautilus. It's great. Neither Zero Mission nor Fusion have anything like that. Zero Mission just lacked ambition imo, save for the new bosses and Prime/Fusion elements there's little to nothing fresh in it. Remember those little parasites that eat the pulsating tumor things in Brinstar? I like that a lot. I wish it had more of that, and that it was up to you to discover it, like in Super.

And I agree, Fusion is too piloted, that's way too oppresive at times, and I understand why some many people dislike it.However I think the game works fine as its own thing, it compensates on some aspects for sure.

>>4101780
>announcing your sage
Come now.
>>
File: 99.gif (12KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
99.gif
12KB, 300x100px
>>4101806
>The developers of Fusion went one step beyond and made your secondary weapon the one that freezes enemies
But aside from that I don't feel the urge to deselect all the other powerups. They work perfectly fine, so introudcing a switch weapon mechanics just for one upgrade seems useless to me (even if it costs 0$ to do something like that)

>Meh, it's a paltry ammount compared to what's in Super Metroid
Well super metroid will always be the best installment in the series, no doubt on that.

>Zero Mission just lacked ambition imo
It's still a remake so they couldn't do everything they wanted, even if they added new areas and almost remade from scratch other ones. They still have to use the original game as a reference point, otherwise it would not be a remake but just a regular installment of the series.

Also I know it's ot, but I assume you also like castlevania,right? If so, what's your favourite game of the series? It's rare to discuss all those little details on the internet nowdays,especially on 4chan, finding people like you is an event.
>>
File: Samus1fanart_2D00_52617.jpg (525KB, 960x1485px) Image search: [Google]
Samus1fanart_2D00_52617.jpg
525KB, 960x1485px
>>4101859
>I don't feel the urge to deselect all the other powerups
Well, you'd be surprised about how milleage you can get out of that. As an example, in my recent playthrough of Zero Mission, I couldn't get a powerup because I needed to step on a frozen turtle, but wasn't able to, cause the screw attack blew it up. I couldn't normal jump to the turtle either, it just wasn't enough momentum. I didn't have the space jump still (you get it later in ZM) so I should have gotten it and come back, right? Well, instead of that, what I did was jump in screw attack mode, position Samus above the turtle and shoot. Since you can't shoot while you swirl, Samus entered her normal jump position, and landed on the turtle without killing it.

Phew. Imagine how much easier would have that been had I been able to switch off the Screw Attack. I bet there's more stuff where it would have made a difference, after all it was just a feature in Super, so I assume there's nothing wrong with it as a thing, and probably some kind of limitation prevented the developers of ZM from implementing it again.

>otherwise it would not be a remake but just a regular installment of the series.
Well it does have new bosses that go way beyond fucking Kraid and Ridley in the original Metroid, I'll tell you that, so it's hard for me to not be dissappointed there's not more of that. Don't get me wrong, there's quite a bit of new stuff, but as a Metroid I don't think there's too much about ZM to make it stand out. It's not hard and tense and atmosphere rich like Fusion, and it's not as "alive" as Prime and Super. It's just a remake, you are right, and honestly, I wish it was a regular installment of the series. I like new stuff. While other people seemed to like this stuff, Metroid Queen, Nightmare and Phantoon shoehorned into Other M made me groan hard, I found their inclusion quite desperate. Maybe that's me being thisty for new content in Metroid, and why I like Fusion being different so much.(1/2)
>>
File: 97bf9be883be313e289b8bf5f05a7edc.jpg (182KB, 719x1111px) Image search: [Google]
97bf9be883be313e289b8bf5f05a7edc.jpg
182KB, 719x1111px
>>4101992
(2/2)
And now, after 13 years of waiting, we get yet another remake. I am excited about Samus Returns but I want new content, new ideas and new stuff, damnit. The Prime series had more variety between games, I wish 2D Metroid had enjoyed that to a greater extent.

>Also I know it's ot, but I assume you also like castlevania,right? If so, what's your favourite game of the series?

Yup, it's one of my fav series in fact. Of the classic ones, I like 4 and Bloodlines. Out of the Igavania stuff however, I'm more torn. I sort of personally prefer Aria, and even if I don't mind the grinding, I don't apreciate it. And Dawn (which I also like) just made it worse. So, I'd say I prefer Eclessia, which, while, much like Fusion has a rather straightforward set of stages, it's a very focused game, with the less recicled enemies, a bigger challenge and a simpler, more effective weapon system. The others are fine though, I'd rank them

>Order/Aria>Circle>Portrait>Symphony>Dawn>Harmony

But I love them all. I even got a soft spot for Curse of Darkness.

>finding people like you is an event
Seriously? One would assume that such popular beloved games are easier to talk about. I don't post much on these boards, but I've definitely had some nice discussions on /vr/, compared to the cesspool that /v/ is, for sure.
>>
>>4099071
It's not

It feels more like Super Metroid lite, and the stealth section is absolute ass

Decent game but overrated
>>
File: mzmmap02.gif (500KB, 1800x1719px) Image search: [Google]
mzmmap02.gif
500KB, 1800x1719px
>>4101992
I don't rembeer very well but I thought that when you obtain screw attack, to jump on a turtle, you jump from the back it by making a straight jump. I think that the developers did that on purpose cause as far I can remember you can't jumo sthraight on the turtle, you have jump on the edge. Maybe I'm just confusing this jump feature with the super jump you get later in the game, but it's been a long time since I played it.

>but as a Metroid I don't think there's too much about ZM to make it stand out
Yeah this is true, they just wanted to modernize the original metroid and make it playable for newcomers or even people who never played any metroid game before. They just stopped to "remake" the game with modern graphics and gameplay without giving an unique feel or a particular charateristic that stood out. It's just a plain good metroid game. You can grasp that idea just by noticing the backdrops, they just remodernized the original metroid ones and that's it. they didn't do anything fancy with them, even if they could.

>but as a Metroid I don't think there's too much about ZM to make it stand out
Meh, I'm not really a fan of the graohic style they adopted, imo am2r was a solid remake and making a better one, even if official this time would be a hard work. I'm much more excited for the new metroid prime, even if we saw basically nothing of it.

>I sort of personally prefer Aria
Wow you are really like me. AoS and OoE are my two favourites igavania of the series, I really like them. Expecially Aria, it was my first castlevania and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

> One would assume that such popular beloved games are easier to talk about
Well yeah, /vr/ is much a better board than that shithole known as /v/,but most of the time people just state their opinion and if they like or not the game, that's it. they don't discuss lots of details like we did, so it's always an event to find people like you.Btw this is propbably the longest post I've written.ahah ty
>>
File: turtnope.png (420KB, 815x605px) Image search: [Google]
turtnope.png
420KB, 815x605px
>>4102136
Nope, can't jump on the flying turtles at all, Tried every posible angle and jump and nope. Welp. You have to freeze, them, otherwise many puzzles would not make any sense at all, I think.

>they just wanted to modernize the original metroid and make it playable for newcomers or even people who never played any metroid game before
Well if so, I guess it does a good job at that. But I still think the game is waaaay overhyped, and I do consider Fusion a better game, for the reasons I stated before. Too bad that direction of the franchise was hijacked into Other M and forever tarnished. There goes that I guess.

>I'm much more excited for the new metroid prime, even if we saw basically nothing of it.
I'd love to be more excited about the number four, and I should. It will be a newer more original game and Samus Returns for sure. But since I don't see myself getting a Switch in a long time, I honestly don't have the possibility to play it. However, I do have a 3DS, and 2D Metroid is my main love (not to say I dislike Prime, I fucking love Prime) so, despite me detesting the developers and it looking kind of dull, it is a new 2D Metroid after 13 years. It's hueg for me. I will play it.

However, I haven't played AM2R yet, I figure I should. Dunno if it will be after or before I play Nintendo's thing. I'll see.

>Btw this is propbably the longest post I've written
Actually, same. I've written some walls of text in /m/, but nothing like in this thread. Jeez. Dunno even why, I guess I just wanted to explain why I think Fusion is better and not come off as a a wojak meme-spamming, baiting tool. I guess anonimity just pushes one to throw a stone then hide your hand, who's even gonna care about what you say.
>>
>>4102236
>who's even gonna care about what you say
I care extensively. I love vidya gaems and playing them and talking with them about folks, even when I disagree with them about which nip spacesuit armor woman game is the coolest.
Was a nice read.
>>
File: Worst_MP3_ending.jpg (941KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Worst_MP3_ending.jpg
941KB, 1920x1080px
>>4102249
Same anon, nice little exchange. You're p fly.
>>
>>4102236
>turtles

They're croissants.
>>
>>4101710
>>4101714

You are right, metroid is all about atmosphere. It's about feeling isolated on an alien world, and having to explore that lonely world in order to progress. Fusion fudged this core aspect of metroid by introducing characters, dialogue, and linearity.

The plot itself was passable generic sci-fi stuff complete with clumsy dialogue, unnecessary characterization, and the laziest of all storytelling tropes: (unskippable) monologues. But on the other hand the bosses were great, the link-in functionality with prime was interesting (and an unlockable copy of metroid was neat).

It was an ok action game with some metroid elements, but it also paved the way for the death of the entire franchise
>>
File: Chozo_manual.jpg (936KB, 941x1441px) Image search: [Google]
Chozo_manual.jpg
936KB, 941x1441px
>>4102320
>It was an ok action game with some metroid elements
Fuck me anon, that's such an unfair statement in so many ways. Some Metroid elements? It is a Metroid game, damnit, and a really good one. The fact is it has some of the best content the saga has to offer. Setpieces, like countdowns and the such are not alien to the franchise, and even Super has some storytelling in the form of an initial narration; not to mention the monologue Samus has upon stripping in Zero Mision. The Metroid franchise is not that big, come on it's not that set in stone. Metroid 1 was a faily open ended game built upon frustrating and unnecesarily obtuse details designed to be overcome with player collaboration (sharing of tidbits), just like Zelda 1. Super Metroid streamlined the fuck out of it, making it easier and introducing power ups that limited progress, but nonetheless made it possible for engaging optional sections, some times with unique enemies. But that's where the interesting "exploration" aspect ends in my opinions. Areas are mostly disconnected save for some side paths, isolated on the bottom of elevator trails. Fusion introduced several optional shortcuts between areas to alleviate this, but Zero Mission went back on this, the only similar thing it has is the shortcut between Chozodia and Maridia. This is not good for exploration, in my opinion. The atmosphere and setpieces/bosses in Super were on par with the standard of the 3rd generation of consoles, and I think that's what makes it the more engaging, hence why I think Fusion capitalizing on it was a smart decision. The "non-linearity" present in Super is mostly due to advanced optional mechanics, which also help get powerups earlier, but is it that big of a deal, that it would make Fusion not a "true" Metroid game? Come on.

I'm not so sure about the Samus monologues, they are tiresome, specially in repeated playthroughs, and their intended purpose is most likely to endear new players. (1/2)
>>
>>4103019
(2/2)Remember that, at the time, players had endured an even longer Metroid drought than we are currently seeing the end of (hence why I don't think Metroid has ever been "dead") so to humanize Samus and set up the whole Adam thing (which I'm not that much of a fan of to be honest) it was a quick solution. On the other hand, the explanations of the computer and the "plot" create an explanation for everything you intereact with, down to every room and health pick ups, something quite rare in a video game, let alone a Nintendo one. This didn't "kill" the franchise. Sakamoto's Metal Gear Solid-tier tripe plaging Other M did. Western inspired and styled story, and minimallistic level design, combined with the decent but almost unfitting action game gameplay. Fuck, it's not characters and story by themselves; Prime 3 has prominent characters, but their downfall/demise and the inhospitable, history-rich planets you visit, make for a better atmosphere than Zero Mission in my opinion.

I dunno anon, don't be so quick to write Fusion off the franchise, it's different and too linear, yes, but it's got so much of what made Metroid great in place. Zero Mission was more inspired by its positive traits, I think that counts more than Other M capitalizing on its story.

>>4102303
They always looked like these guys to me.

http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Breadbug
>>
>>4099071
The fact that fusion kept artificially locking me out of areas I wanted to explore more due to story reasons until like the very end of the game is enough for me to like ZM over it. Fusion is a cool action game but a mediocre metroid.
>>
>>4103104
there is one area you can explore off the beaten path, but even that was entirely pre-planned. it's incredibly difficult because you have to shinspark all the way, but you can get a well hidden message if you make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKuG-IWu98

Watching this, I can't believe I actually did this once on an SP.
>>
File: 1364663564170.gif (2MB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1364663564170.gif
2MB, 256x224px
>>4103019
>>4103023

Metroid was a game made to showcase a new engine. The exciting thing about this engine was that it allowed a very large and connected game world to exist, and this was a very new thing for a console game. To suit this shiny new engine nintendo created a new kind of game which emphasised exploration of the large map. This genre of game was very new (I'm sure some other anon can find examples of jap pc games that did it earlier, but metroid popularized it) and so many genre staples had not yet been established.

Sparse, minimalist storytelling was originally not a conceit of design but a creative workaround for the technical limitations of the console and of the time. Metroid 2 had a much stronger story than the first, while using even less dialogue / characterization / monologue. It used the environment and details embedded within it to tell the story, and this style of storytelling was later perfected in super metroid.

These two features are what I consider to be essential qualities of any metroid game. Exploration and storytelling through environment. Metroid introduced them, metroid 2 expanded on them, and super metroid perfected them. The first prime game was also very true to these core values, but comitted the same mistakes of fusion by the time prime 2 rolled around. Prime 3 doubled down on practically all of the mistakes of the second prime game (but did have an amazing control scheme).

If you accept my argument that metroid is essentially about exploration and storytelling through environment where does that leave fusion? It is very polished, controlled well, had great setpieces and visual design, but had ham-fisted storytelling and linear level design. This is why I consider fusion to be a great game, but a terrible 'metroid' game.
>>
>when you're in the Zero Suit section, the icon on the continue screen is Samus' face
>her ponytail flips when her head turns on the continue option
Cute
>>
>>4102236
yeah, but when you freeze them you can jump underneath them with the morph ball.
Nevel played Other M cause I didn't brought a wii back then, but every metroid fan shits on that game. dunno why tho.

>But since I don't see myself getting a Switch in a long time
Well, if nintendo releases some other games other than zelda and mario it would be better. I still hope for a new F-Zero game...
Btw where you found all those nice fanarts? They are really high quality.

>>4102303
this, honestly.
>>
>>4104219
that detail was one of the best thing in the Zm
>>
File: 1499377-ridleyx01.png (30KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1499377-ridleyx01.png
30KB, 480x320px
>>4103783
>If you accept my argument that metroid is essentially about exploration and storytelling through environment where does that leave fusion?
Well, first of all, not in a bad place at all, Fusion has some of that language. Pic related, finding Serris' Corpse, the dead scientists and even the Metroid coccoon borrowed from Metroid 2. Also, setpieces like that time when the spaceship almost explodes, the blackout and Nightmare on the background, while explained via conversations with ADAM as well, have you witness many things before reporting them, or without reporting them at all.

Second, I think boiling it down to that is too subjective and limiting, but I guess so is my decision of not giving it that much importance. I still think atmosphere is crucial and more essential than being able to backtrack 10 minutes to an earlier area, get a missile expansion and come back to where you need to be, nor I think dialogue tarnishes it that much. Fusion has that oppresive and isolated feel in spades, with the atmospheric simple pieces similar to Maridia's ambience, and also cemented by the tension created by difficulty and total integration of power ups, or all the crazy shit the X parasite does create. This stuff is one strength all the dialogue and exposition you get grant the game, so I would not call it hamfisted. It does benefit the game. I think that Fusion still gets Metroid's essence just fine. Again, I get you. Fusion is too restrictive, too linear. I'm not saying it isn't, by any means. Thre has to be a hack that opens all of Fusion's map at all times, right? It seems like a no brainer.

And just like Fusion, I also prefer Prime 2 to 1. Backtracking is way less tedious, and it probably is the Metroid with the most new content, creatures and environments, it has very little in common with the others. 3 is also great, despite being significantly easier. Really, the only thing that really bothers me about these games is the overly long, damage sponge bosses.
>>
>>4104528
>you can jump underneath them with the morph ball
Oh fuck, that's right, the Morph ball. Well, that jump lacks momentum, but I hadn't thought of that.

>every metroid fan shits on that game. dunno why tho.
Eh, for me it was this thing I posted before

>This didn't "kill" the franchise. Sakamoto's Metal Gear Solid-tier tripe plaging Other M did. Western inspired and styled story, and minimallistic level design, combined with the decent but almost unfitting action game gameplay.

Make of that what you will. It had OK Prime inspired puzzles and it's a passable action game, but I too, think that game was a mistake.

>Btw where you found all those nice fanarts? They are really high quality.
They're just off google images, hah. The Maridia one was very blurry and I had to downsize it to not make it look like shit.
>>
>>4099924
Well the first pirate is the hardest one to get by without being spotted. Imo he rest is pretty easy if you know how to walljump. Keep trying!
>>
>>4104614
Im my opinion I feel more isolated and oppresed by space in Zm than in Fusion. While you don't know where to go, you feel lost on this alien planet and you get this sense of loneliness caused by sidereal space.
While in fusion you are hand-holded all the time on where to go, you get indications all the time, so you lose that feeling of isolation.
But I guess that in the end, it's all down to your personal preference.

>>4099924
I thought that you must trigger him. Anyway the stealth section was on of the best part of the game.
>>
>>4104636
Yeah, it boils down to preference, that's why what ultimately ruins the atmosphere of Zero Mission for me is the music for instance, altough I really enjoyed the game. It is true that you also get indications in Zero Mission, buit those are always outside your map and you don't get an AI companion so that must be it. I don't give dialogue that much importance since it's just some computer but I guess I get it.
>>
Both games are really good.

Fusion has some of the best atmosphere in any metroid game aside from MP2 Echoes

and Zero Mission has the best controls out of any game in the series
>>
>>4099113
Absolute horse shit m8.
>>
Who's hyped for the metorid 2 remake?
>>
>>4103767
I always forget this exists.

>>4106815
I'm not really hyped, but I'll probably give it a spin and enjoy it.
>>
>>4106815
I'm gonna get it. My expectations are low cause I loathe Mercurysteam after playing their Castlevania game, but get it, I will.
>>
File: 1453667678446.png (647KB, 450x686px) Image search: [Google]
1453667678446.png
647KB, 450x686px
>>4107005
>look at the games they've worked on
>all they have is one okay CV reboot and a bunch of bad to mediocre games
i'm not very hopeful
>>
>>4107008
Well at least they have experience in making bad 3D versions of 2D platforming gems.
>>
File: scan.png (100KB, 600x2500px) Image search: [Google]
scan.png
100KB, 600x2500px
>almost finished playing Zero Mission on my friend's WiiU
>at the same time, download Super Metroid on my 3DS for old time's sake
>the awkward location of the D-pad cramps my thumb and it feels weird to use the joystick

Is this suffering?
>>
>>4099136
>still considering Other M canon
Anon...
>>
>>4103783
Wii Prime trilogy was amazing to play trough, even if they patched out all the fucking sequence breaks in Prime 1, because most of them where bugs.
Sad.
>>
>>4107008
>okay CV reboot
This is getting way off topic, but I'd put it in the mediocre pile, anon.

>tons of attacks that do jack shit except to some enemies, only used in DMC1-like diversions and Zelda ripoff puzzles
>padded and stretched to hell and back
>narration that has little to do with the cutscenes and the actual story
>recycles most boring parts of SotC, DMC, Uncharted and Prince of Persia and does nothing interesting with any of that
>Q T E s

Only aspect that has some sort of potential/ was interesting was the dark/light magic meters. What about Scraplands? That's the game of them I see the most praise for, but I know nothing about it.
>>
>Fusion is too linear.
You are hugely, impressively missing the point of the game and how it was designed.
It's not a failure, it's a feature. It's linearity it's literally a feature required by it's strong narrative.
>>
>>4108919
Yeah, and that's why it's shit.
>>
>>4108897
Mediocre, like everything American McGee has put his name on.
>>
>>4108957
Gee, what an impressive resume those guys have.

Why didn't Nintendo let Next Level handle this again? They sure nailed Punch Out, if it wasn't for how spammable retrying is, that would be a 10/10 take on the series.
>>
>>4099071
zero mission is shit because it has an unrealistic environment that's designed for you to traverse it in specific ways activating specific abilities at specific points, because it which it has a rigidly linear design structure that is basically the opposite of what makes metroid fun, ancient chozo is always there to hold your hand and it sucks after super which is a really natural environment and fusion where the confinement is part of the design

but on the other hand I like the prime games so what do I know
>>
>>4108897
Lament of Innocence is a pretty good game just play that and pretend the other thing didn't happen
>>
>>4109064
I've beat Lament of Innocence twice and Curse of Darkness thrice actually. Those are actually OK games. Curse is a little bit too grindy and overly long maybe, and Lament too limited, but I'll take them over Lords of Shadow any time.

Which is more than I can say about say, Other M.
>>
>>4108923
>having a game stray anywhere from it's original formula makes it shit
GTFO Miyamoto
>>
>>4109060
No... no it doesn't. If you master diagonal bomb-jumping and wall-jumping, you can largely go in whatever order you want.
>>
>>4108923
meme
>>
>>4109060
>unrealistic environments
>in video games
Ya don't say?
>>
>>4109024
Im surprised they didnt give it to retro.

I mean, they've made the best selling Metroid game to date, and their DKC games were all well received. So they've shown they can make good Metroid games and that they can make good 2D platformers.

And then they give the new 2D Metroid game to some other studio that isnt nearly as well known or liked as Retro.
>>
>>4109982
Probably retro has too much work to do in order ro finish the new prime 4 that's gonna be released.
>>
>>4109989
Retro isn't working on Prime 4.
>>
File: Other-M-thumbs-down.jpg (62KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Other-M-thumbs-down.jpg
62KB, 960x540px
>>4109982
My inner cynic thinks Nintendo is using this as an opportunity to test the waters on how much they can trust Mercurysteam. Cause they don't care as much about Metroid as we may think.
>>
>>4109989
Retro isn't working on Prime 4, a Japanese Team is.
No one knows what Retro is doing right now, but most rumours speculate that they're doing something original, rather than working with an existing IP.
>>
>largely have fun in Zero Mission
>get to the final-final boss
Fucking seriously? How stupid.
>>
>>4110582
It becomes stronger when you have 100% item completion, but it's still kind of lame.
>>
>>4110673
>It becomes stronger when you have 100% item completion
Yeah I knew about that. It's actually a relatively tough boss, it's just the fact that it feels so lazy that the final boss is Ridley, again
>>
>>4110673
>>4111039
The one thing that hunk of junk has it hits like a truck, unlike anything else in the game. First time I fought it, I tried to brute force it without properly aiming my missiles and I died quite fast. Quite a brutal damage input, the highest in the game without a doubt. But once you figure him out he dies in like 5 super missiles, he's pathetic. He's the complete polar opposite of those overly long bosses of Prime.

At least the regular one, I've never bothered with 100% completion so far, I have to try it.
>>
>>4108897
I had fun enough with it to think it was okay enough, not decent, good, or great.

Point is, their track record reads like a coprophile's xhamster searches.
>>
>>4111121
>a coprophile's xhamster searches.
a shitlist, if you will
>>
File: 1489895965492.jpg (32KB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489895965492.jpg
32KB, 638x480px
>>4099071
I've been playing through all the Metroid games for the first time in preparation of Samus Returns, and the only one I grew up with was the original with its GBA rerelease. I'm playing Zero Mission now and the objective markers are really pissing me off. They seem to be avoidable but the fact that they removed the secret early Ice Beam from the original game and put nothing but an objective marker there hurts me inside. I feel like I'd actually enjoy the game more if I hadn't played the original.
>>
File: page008-009e.png (2MB, 1814x1516px) Image search: [Google]
page008-009e.png
2MB, 1814x1516px
>>4111617
Finished the game and just wanted to update my position as saying I got over the changes and the Chozo statues slowly disappeared, so I had a lot of fun playing it.
If I had to rank the 2D Metroids, it would probably go

>Nostalgia tier
Metroid 1
>God tier
Super Metroid
>Great tier
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
>Good tier
Metroid 2

I enjoyed all the games honestly. ZM and Fusion feel a lot different to each other, to comment on the main discussion of the thread. Fusion really alienated me at the start, a lot more than ZM's Chozo statues did, because of the linearity and constant dialogue, but I ended up digging it by the end. I grew more and more aggravated with the Federation's shit and then they were revealed to be complete fucking morons with no regard for the safety of the universe, who were fucking breeding Metroids and suddenly everything clicked and I realized the game was playing up the feelings from the earlier on purpose. I'm not a big fan of narrative being pushed to the detriment of gameplay but I think it actually worked well here.
ZM felt a lot more traditional obviously. It wasn't Super Metroid and I already mentioned the Chozo statues being off-putting but once I discovered I could avoid the "you have to beat Kraid before you can go down and see 90% of Norfair" roadblock with a hidden passage. It seems like a game that I would need to try aiming for 100% or replay a few times to fully appreciate all the potential sequence-breaking. The Zero Suit section took me completely by surprise; I knew this was where ZSS came from but I had forgotten about it by the time I beat Mother Brain.
I'm entering Samus Returns with caution. The melee counter doesn't seem like something I want in Metroid because of the way it takes control away of the player with a cutscene attack. I plan to play AM2R before its release to see how a fan's labor of love compares to what modern Nintendo can do with Metroid.
>>
>>4112729
*once I discovered I could avoid the "you have to beat Kraid before you can go down and see 90% of Norfair" roadblock with a hidden passage I started having more fun trying to see how I could circumvent the game's pathing.
>>
>>4112739
The game is structured such that you can skip just about everything except the Morph Ball, Bombs, Ice Beam, Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit, and Space Jump. And obviously fight Ridley before Kraid.
>>
>>4112745
Oh, shit and Power Grip.
>>
>>4112746
Power Grip was fucking annoying.
>>
>>4099657
Thats just a bonus
>>
File: eris jockey.png (18KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
eris jockey.png
18KB, 512x448px
>>4099657
>>
Aaand beat it. It was aite i guess. Feel underwhelmed, though.

>>4114263
Kek.
>>
I'm playing AM2R right now and it's been really great. I feel like the already-more-expansive terrain of Metroid 2 works really well with a ZM-style fleshing out, and the bosses have been pretty great so far. Just got to Area 3.
>>4114978
What game did you beat, anon?
>>
>What game did you beat, anon?
Zero Mission, of course.
I'd like to play AM2R but I wanna play Super and Fusion first and by that time Samus Returns will be out.
>>
Not really related to the thread, but I've never sat down and actually played through a Metroid game with any serious intent of beating it.

Which should I start with?
>>
>>4116348
Super
>>
>>4116348
I'd definitely start with Super.
>>
>>4115016
Super and Fusion aren't that long, I was a bit over 5 hours in Super and literally less than one minute short of getting the middle ending in Fusion.
>>4116348
Super is the best, definitely. Personally I'd play Metroid 1 and 2 first or at least try to and see if you don't get turned away by their less polished and more primitive designs, but if you don't want to do that they recap the minimal plot from those two games in Super's intro anyway
>>
File: Lightning_birthday_present.jpg (89KB, 367x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning_birthday_present.jpg
89KB, 367x360px
Am I the only one that kind of oddly likes that they took "The Return of Samus" and switched it to "Samus Returns?" I like the directness of it, and it reminds me of another beloved vidya heroine.
>>
>>4116651
Personally I can't imagine playing Super without first playing at least 2 cause of those feels when the egg hatches

Yeah it shows it in the intro but it doesn't have the same impact if you haven't spent the last 5 hours zapping Metroids while the atmosphere gets tenser and tenser
>>
File: chozotechnology_metroid.jpg (187KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
chozotechnology_metroid.jpg
187KB, 720x479px
>>4116348
NES is fine if you draw a map.
SUPER is 10/10 amazing.
GBA ones are nice.
And you sorta need to play Prime after one or two games, to really get the appreciation for a well done adaption(except for repeated play troughs)
>>
>>4116670
I think it's a very deliberate nod to the fans. A kind of "hey, it's been a while, let's do this right again."

>>4116651
If you want to play a Metroid game, Super is your best bet. Fusion is a riff on the Metroid formula, it's not a good title to play for a first impression of the series.
>>
>>4116670
Well it's nice more for being able to tell what people are talking abut when they say it instead of going "the Game Boy one"
>>
>>4099136
>planted the seeds that would become the murder of her character entirely in Other M.
Fuck that. Nothing in Fusion forced Sakamoto to deliver that abortion. Could have gone in a completely different direction.
>>
>>4119596
>Could have gone in a completely different direction.
Such as taking a gun and killing himself.
>>
>>4099071
not retro
>>
>>4119596
It gave him confidence that people would accept that kind of bullshit in a Metroid game.

I was already unhappy with how Samus was portrayed in Fusion, Other M just cranked it up to 11.
>>
>>4116348
Everyone I knew said to start with Super, but DON'T DO IT. I know, it's a great game, but not one you should start out with. The game emphasizes the time difference between it and the first Metroid/ZM, and none of it hit home for me, because I obviously hadn't played it before. My reccomendation? Start with Zero Mission to ease you into the series, and THEN play Super Metroid. I enjoyed Super so much more after ZM. (Ntm that ZM is incredibly fun and replayable in it's own right)
>>
>>4121120
Anon has a point here, I did enjoy seeing how much things changed between Metroid 1 and Super and all the little nods to the first game like how the hidden Energy Tank near the beginning of Metroid 1 is in the exact same spot in Super
>>
>>4121843
Zero Mission also incorporates a few things from Super in some of it's design, so it goes two ways.
>>
>>4116348
>>4121120
>>4121843
The order of any franchise should always be chronology and not order of release.
Play Zero Mission, AM2R and then Super Metroid.
It will make Samus' journey that much more meaningful, especially in regard to the hatchling.
>>
File: cro_yakuza_mf.png (507KB, 1069x842px) Image search: [Google]
cro_yakuza_mf.png
507KB, 1069x842px
>>4099136
>>4120927
But Samus had been weakened severely in Fusion, and her only option to regain her abilities was to rely on the Federation, who was sabotaging her all along. It made sense for her to be afraid of what actually ammounted to her full potential, only devoid of humanity. An enemy you have to deal with many times, and it's as deadly as they come. I don't like the monologues either, but Samus made sense at least.

>It gave him confidence that people would accept that kind of bullshit in a Metroid game.
The only thing I'd say this is true for would be the whole adam bullshit. It's a plot device for the computer to help Samus at the last minute. What killed Samus in Other M was Sakamoto wanting to deliver his own westernized Metal Gear-like bullshit on a game that didn't need any of that crap. just like Konami did to castlevania around that time (with Kojima's involvemente even). And Capcom with Devil May Cry. The western narrative style and deeper inspiration, brushing off Samus' past as having been raised by a mystic race of bird people, have her start as powerful but NOT TURN ON HER FUNCTIONS BECAUSE ?????? Fusion didn't have any of that except maybe the monologues, don't blame that game for Sakamoto being a fucking hack.
>>
>>4099113
Bro OP is talking about Metroid Fusion, not Prime.
>>
>>4122284
While prime forced a more "metal gear" look on the saga, it's still a good game even if it's not good as the metroidvania counterparts.
>>
>>4122245
>just like konami did with castlevania
You are refering to Lords of Shadows?
God that game was absolutely awful. They didn't got ONE thing right.
>>
>>4122358
Yep, it's quite a lifeless game, I always pair it with Other M, there's just too many similarities. I said it before in this thread, the core combat, with its main gimmick, is passable but that's it. Everything else is desperation from trying to sell the series to an audience that will never like it, following the worse 7th Gen trends without even understanding the positive aspects of those games.

With the games I mentioned, there are even more examples, didn't Capcom release souped down westernized versions of Lost Planet and Dead Rising as well? I'm no connoiseur of those franchises cause I really haven't played above 6th gen that much,but it always make me sad to see decent games get dragged down in trying to appeal to an outer audience like that.
>>
>>4112729
You can sequence-break the fuck out of it. You don't have to get any upgrades in it. They put built-in sequence breaks. They are well-hidden.
>>
>>4099071
I liked Return of Samus originally, but skipped Super. I played Fusion and Zero Mission and liked them alright, but didn't love them.

Should I bother with Super Metroid?
>>
>>4099071
Wait a minute since when were GBA threads allowed on here?
>>
>>4122592
it's a port of a retro game

you dumbass
>>
>>4122592
>>4120615
Remakes are allowed
>>
File: npcomics_45-1.jpg (49KB, 188x448px) Image search: [Google]
npcomics_45-1.jpg
49KB, 188x448px
>>4122541
>Should I bother with Super Metroid?
Is that even a question?
>>
>>4122595
>port
that's hilarious
>>
File: 1498691803138.jpg (45KB, 325x238px) Image search: [Google]
1498691803138.jpg
45KB, 325x238px
>>4121987
>The order of any franchise should always be chronology and not order of release.
I disagree with that. Some games are prequels to others but are still written with the expectation that you played the earlier games in the series that come "later." In something like Metroid I don't think it would kill your enjoyment but I still think it's a shaky statement at best.
>>4122358
Isn't Samus Returns being made by the Lords of Shadow devs?
>>
>>4122592
GBA isn't retro but remakes are fine. Every 2D Metroid game is either retro or a remake of a retro game except Fusion. Personally while I want to keep GBA off the board as long as possible before newfags force it in, I'm okay not telling mods about the Fusion discussion in this thread if everyone else is.
>>
>>4121987

Fuck that.

It's order of release first, and if that doesn't work for you, try the most popular one first, but chronological order could really fuck you up.

Like, would you tell anyone who plays Zelda to start with fucking skyward sword? That's a good way to kill interest in the series for anyone who isn't some kind of faggot that thinks the "love story" in that game is actually well written.

Besides, do you think people who played these games as they came out get that ability? Not saying Metroid has this, but when characters allude to things in the past I feel like already knowing what that is would make it less meaningful.
>>
File: 1415590649457.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1415590649457.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>4099071
> what makes this zero mission good?

It lets pleebs play the og story.

They cant handle metroid without maps and shit.
>>
>>4121987
>The order of any franchise should always be chronology and not order of release.

Are you retarded?
>>
>>4122819
>>4122869
Not anon, but yes of course that statement varies between different series, but Metroid is one that does benefit from chronological order. No shit there are some games that are better off being played in a different order; prequels that assume you've played the originals, series like Zelda where the overall timeline doesn't even matter, etc.
In Metroid, Super has the expectations that you've played 1 and 2 already. The time difference between 1 and Super in how the areas have changed and other such details, and the experience in 2 making Super's narrative more engaging and meaningful, etc.
>>
>>4122834
Go back to your basement, /vr/ gremlin. We don't want to hear your superiority rant about how you slogged through the mess that is Metroid NES and accepted it as the standard for all vidya, literally nobody's impressed.
>>
>>4122915
There's more to it than just narrative, and in fact the narrative in Metroid games is mostly meaningless anyway. The progression of gameplay mechanics is far more meaningful in Metroid games, and playing ZM before Super fucks that up.
>>
>>4122798
Oh lawdy please have mercy with us poor souls an' don' go tellin' them mods massah. Go play some 3D Sanic on your uber retro dreamcast. So fast, so pure.

>>4122915
Playing through the Metroid franchise means going through the entire Prime trilogy before you even reach Metroid II.

>>4122918
Zero Mission is not a bad game. But neither is the original on NES, you philistine swine.
>>
>>4123114
Well I guess that's where our opinions split, I'm sorry I don't agree with you.
>>
>>4123116
Well I mean, technically Prime is a side-story unimportant to the larger narrative, but i see where youre coming from.
>>
>>4122918
>/vr/ gremlin.
Why do you go to /vr/ if you don't like /vr/
>>
>>4123116
It's okay if you like Metroid NES, it's not the worst game on the planet, but don't go parading around the fact that you're "so good at it, millenials 2day just don't understand" as if that makes a difference. Metroid NES is very archaic, but you can still like it while admitting that. Hell, I like EarthBound Beginnings, yet I can admit it's shit as far as RPG's go. You like the game? Cool. Just get some decency to admit it falls short in areas, nothing in the world is absolutely perfect.
>>
>>4122915
>playing Prime before 2
>>
>>4123143
I'm not the pretentious Mike Matei posting guy you were replying to. If ZM gives people the chance to experience Metroid 1 who can't get into NES Metroid, that's fine by me. Again, I think both are great games, and if somebody can't enjoy both, it's their loss, really. No reason to shit on other peoples preferences, though.

>>4123154
Don't forget Prime Pinball.
>>
>>4099657
Eh? Are you saying the jockey is like a chozo statue?

I guess I can kind of see the resemblance. I always assumed the chozo were ripoffs of Stargate.
>>
File: CrJtFaDUAAEGdXq.jpg (212KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CrJtFaDUAAEGdXq.jpg
212KB, 1200x1200px
>>4117624
>those feels when the egg hatches
I LITERALLY CRIED.
>>
File: hi there!.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hi there!.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>4123227
>>
>>4099115
>Super was already kind of a remake of Metroid 1.

What the fuck? No it wasn't, you retard. It was a fucking sequel, it even had callbacks to the two previous games. There was continuity. If it were a remake you wouldn't have that
>>
>>4123564
You revisit crateria, brinstar, norfair, tourian.
>>
>>4123564
That's why he said "kind of" a remake, retard.
You got to revisit areas from the first game in glorious 16-bit.
>>
>>4123564
The progression is exactly the same. It's obviously not an actual remake, but functionally it might as well be.
>>
>>4123227
>guys I cry at sentimental cutscenes, I'm a girl
>I have a strong maternal instinct just like a real girl
>my name is Princess Sevenleaf because I'm a girl
>here's this artsy pic I found on tumblr, it's a girl
>Did I mention I'm a girl?
>>
>>4123596
He's a tranny, not a girl.
>>
>>4123605
That's the joke. Obviously Sevenleaf is a tranny, otherwise she wouldn't constantly feel the need to affirm her femininity. She's a nerdy gamer who pretends to be an astrology-reading Twilight-reading basic white girl. Sad!
>>
>>4123635
Why does everyone want to pretend to be a girl these days, anyway? What's wrong with just being a gay man?
>>
>>4123649
Socially awkward fags realizing that life as a moderately-attractive straight woman is the ultimate easymode.
>>
>>4123737
>>4123649
>>4123635
>>4123605
>>4123596
V I D E O
G
A
M
E
S
>>
>>4123737

Except no one but fags want their dick. And gay men are attracted to men.
>>
I hate other M so fucking much god fuck
>>
>>4123858
But don't you miss Adam and THE BABY?
>>
>>4099657
>Find out there's a new alien movie.
>Find out they bothered to not retcon and forget that Prometheus exists and continue on with that terribad shit.
Welp, fuck watching that. I'll just scratch the Alien series off my list of shit to even care about anymore.

These are sad time indeed.
>>
File: 1499988439380.jpg (493KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1499988439380.jpg
493KB, 1280x1024px
>>4122435
LoS was an absolute shame. They wanted to sell more by following the trends at the time, like you said, but they failed horrribly. Castlevania almost died as a franchise thanks to that game. I'm still waiting for a proper 2d game to happen. And bloodstained is not an official one.
>>
>>4124280
Haha funny thing you mention that, because I've been feeling like watching an Alien movie since all this Metroid excitement, but didn't feel like watching the first two which I own, since I saw them very recently, so I downloaded the new one.

Don't ever go near it.
>>
File: 07c.jpg (65KB, 479x558px) Image search: [Google]
07c.jpg
65KB, 479x558px
>>4124294
>almost died
>almost

Anon...
>>
>>4125381
We can still hope for Bloodstained...
>>
>>4099071
>It's an absolute masterpiece in terms of ost

>GBA
>Having good sound

I mean I appreciate the more metroid prime-esque choir thing they tried to do, but the GBA sound chip absolutely fucked it up.
>>
fusion is better, i want platforming action like the classic castlevanias, metroid killed it
>>
>>4125421
I was refering to the music itself not to bad sound chip of the gba.
>>
File: samus puke.jpg (51KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
samus puke.jpg
51KB, 680x680px
>>4123154
>Playing any Prime
>>
>>4127241
I've only played halfway through Prime 1, and it was really damn good.
>>
>>4127241
Faggot
>>
>>4127241
>being a faggot
>>
>>4123564
You're going to the same places as Metroid 1 and fighting the same bosses (as well as others). Some of the areas are 100% the same (as throwback)
>>
>>4127447
You're going to the same regions, but not the same places.
A grand total of zero rooms are 100% the same as even the five rooms from the original game that are revisited have each had changes made to them.
>>
>>4127471
You have trouble understanding what the idea behind spiritual remakes are and take things too literally.
>>
>>4127517
You have trouble understanding what the idea behind a sequel is.
>>
>>4127523
He said SORT OF a remake.
>sequel done in far suprerior graphics
>re-creates scenarios and recalls feelings from the first game
It's sort of a remake.
>>
>>4127527
five rooms at the start of the game does not make a remake.
>>
>>4127532
No, but that and several sections with updated themes and bosses and environment-types from the first game do make a "sort of" remake. In the same sense, Link to the Past is a "sort of" remake of Zelda 1.
>>
File: Shocked Chiyo.png (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Shocked Chiyo.png
54KB, 500x500px
>>4127548
>mfw you truly honestly believe this
>>
>>4123934
I haven't earned permission to miss them yet.
>>
>>4127548
>lttp is a remake of zelda 1

well if you're gonna pull shit that far out of your ass you might as well say every single mario game is a remake of SMB
>>
>>4131129
Well consider Twilight Princess, which everybody pretty much regards as "sort of a remake" of OoT. Everybody accepts that. You are misunderstand what "sort of" a remake means. Jesus, why are we still talking about this?
>>
>>4131192
By that logic, OoT 3D is redundant because Twilight Princess exists.
>>
>>4131214
Why would it? First off you still don't understand what 'sort of a remake' even means. Secondly when has an actual remake ever left the original game redundant? The latter point is a moot one anyway.

I bet you don't understand the concept of a spiritual sequel, either.
>>
>>4131234
There isn't one. Just get what you want. Unless its a completely broken cable, you can't really go wrong.
>>
>>4100539
It is. But to play it, you need to draw a map. Because otherwise everything else looks the same.
At the least for the first play trough. Once you have played it trough once, you can sorta travel the game world without a lot of problems.
>>
>>4131220
Because that's what has been literally said.
>>4099115
>I think Zero Mission is kinda redundant, since Super was already kind of a remake of Metroid 1.
>>
>>4132397
He's not saying Metroid 1 is redundant, he is saying Zero Mission is redundant, because there already was a remake of sorts with Super.
>>
>>4132424
When I said OoT 3D I meant the 3DS remake.
>>
>>4131192
What the everloving fuck? Nobody considers Twilight Princess "sort of" a fucking remake of anything. God damn you really are retarded.
>>
>>4132430
I see what you mean.

>>4132438
It's literally considered OoT Ultimate Edition. Where have you been?
>>
>>4132451
>Where have you been?
In reality, unlike you?
>>
>>4132451
>It's literally considered OoT Ultimate Edition.
On /v/. Maybe.
>>
File: 1440064466888.png (275KB, 546x458px) Image search: [Google]
1440064466888.png
275KB, 546x458px
>>4132451
>It's literally considered OoT Ultimate Edition.
That couldn't be stupider.
>>
>>4132648
Nah, anon has a point. They're pretty different games, but the general consensus I've seen is that TP is a general evolution of OOT.
>>
>>4132780
Every 3D Zelda game is an evolution of OoT, that doesn't make them remakes

or "sort of remakes" either
>>
File: 1500512744298.jpg (63KB, 200x269px) Image search: [Google]
1500512744298.jpg
63KB, 200x269px
>>4132814
spiritual remakes
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.