[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Post some of your favorite retro titles that have a very

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 11

File: cosmology.jpg (30KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
cosmology.jpg
30KB, 636x358px
ITT Post some of your favorite retro titles that have a very ancient japan/ overwhelmingly japanese culture feel to it.

Picture related, it's the DOS game Cosmology of Kyoto
>>
File: cosmology1.png (142KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cosmology1.png
142KB, 640x480px
Feel free to post the game no matter the genre or region. I love to expand my horizons on these sort of games and I am interested in hearing others thoughts
>>
>very ancient japan
You mean like Heian era or even older stuff like Yayoi or Zyômon?

Maybe Tengai Makyô is old enough.
>>
File: cosmology3.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cosmology3.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
>>4098694

Sorry for my poor english
Cosmology of Kyoto is from Heian era, but I'm looking for any era at all as long as it's before 1980 Japan. So if you have multiple favorites from different eras, feel free to post any. I'm not picky and always have trouble distinguishing eras, I just love old old japan feel, no matter how old
>>
>>4098703
There should be plenty of Sengoku games like Nobunaga's Ambition.
Goemon is also a nobrainer.
Samurai Spirits isn't entirely Japanese but should still be mentioned.
>>
>>4098712

Thanks. I have always wanted to play a Goemon game. which is your favorite?
>>
File: bestninja.gif (2MB, 500x466px) Image search: [Google]
bestninja.gif
2MB, 500x466px
>>4098716
Not him but the N64 games are top notch and have great localizations other than the second game removing the sweet opening vid.
The SNES games are good too, but the later ones have never been translated, sadly.
>>
File: g4.gif (322KB, 620x293px) Image search: [Google]
g4.gif
322KB, 620x293px
>>4098721
>Ganbare Goemon 3 and 4 fantrans fucking never
I'm gonna cave in and just learn to read moon literally just to play those games.
>>
File: chulip.jpg (150KB, 480x310px) Image search: [Google]
chulip.jpg
150KB, 480x310px
>>4098721
>>4098725

Thanks for your input guys. Now I have an idea where to start. Part of me really wants to become fluent in japanese just so i can play games I've desperately wanted to play.

I'll mention another game aside from Cosmology of Kyoto that has a nice classic feel. Chulip for PS2
I love the visuals. Very wabi-sabi, and made by Natsume one of my fav gaming companies !!
The Chulip game for PS2 reminds me sort of the Harvest moon game that was for ps2

the harvest moon for ps2 has a similar feel to chulips, and is definitely set apart from most other games in the franchise
>>
File: 27-Breath_of_Fire_IV_02733.jpg (122KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
27-Breath_of_Fire_IV_02733.jpg
122KB, 640x480px
>>4098673
Do you mean actually historical? If so this may not be the best, this is more in terms of influence.

When I played Breath of Fire IV I was really interested in the influence Asian culture has in the overall story and scenery. The game takes inspiration from the Buddhism, Taoism, and Shinto religion. It's really great to see this symbolism used in a meaningful way.

Hear is one example, this is during the finale so I'm sorry for the spoilers but is one of the coolest examples. Instead of me explaining it here's a explanation from someone who knows his shit.

"That ring of green trigrams is a Primordial/Earlier Heaven bagua. "The fuck is that?", the average goon says. Bagua means Eight Symbols in Chinese, and is an important diagram in Taoist philosophy. It represents the flow and structure of reality, with the trigrams representing parts of reality along with elements of yin and yang. Going clockwise from the trigram at Fou-Lu's feet, they are Heaven, Wind, Water, Mountain, Earth, Thunder, Fire, and Lake. They are also associated with seasons, cardinal directions (with Heaven as north, just like the compass says), emotions, concepts, families, and a whole bunch of other stuff. They're also an element in feng shui, used to map out the house to be in balance with creation and affect the owner's life. There's probably a metric shitload more symbolism here than I'm aware of (especially with the western symbol looking a lot like that Bangla script Om discussed in the previous symbolism update), but the fact that Fou-Lu's standing on Heaven while you approach him from Earth isn't exactly subtle."

From this page:
https://lparchive.org/Breath-of-Fire-IV/Update%2051/
>>4098725
I believe that goemon 2 on famicom had a translation just recently, have hope.
>>
Legend of the River King or however you call it.
Maybe it's supposed to be contemporary but it's so rural it feels more like 60s or 70s.
>>
File: cosmology5.jpg (54KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cosmology5.jpg
54KB, 1024x768px
>>4098730

Really like your in-depth answer. It doesn't have to be historically at all, as long as it has that sort of feel to it, so I'm happy with what you shared! Very interesting that it is influenced by those religions, sounds very neat. Thanks very much!

>>4098739
I was at the used game store in my area and saw Legend of the River King 1 & 2 and I really wanted them but they were both in the $15-25 dollar range. As soon as I saw the cartrige I had a feeling it would be a game i would be interested in
>>
File: tumblr_mlpqchkV1U1qd4q8ao1_400.gif (39KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlpqchkV1U1qd4q8ao1_400.gif
39KB, 400x400px
>>4098749
No problem, BoFIV is a fantastic game that I highly recommend.

Another answer came to mind as well, Shiren the Wanderer. They're a rogue like series set in a fantasy version of Feudal Japan. If you're familar with the "mystery dungeon" series of games this is the very first game in that series. While there are multiple titles I'm only reallybfamilar with the first one, sorry. Although a fan translation exists for the original super famicom version the game was later ported to the ds and localized.
>>
File: ss1-comp-neogeo.png (16KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
ss1-comp-neogeo.png
16KB, 320x224px
All that's missing from this image is the ambience of waves crashing
>>
>>4098761

That looks great! That's a cute companion he has as well. Looks kind of like a little weasel .. so cute!

I do like rogue likes, and by what you said, sounds like a good match for me. Thanks for that! Will definitely check it out
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.