[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

doom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: doom logo.jpg (12KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
doom logo.jpg
12KB, 288x175px
why is doom so awsome
>>
>>4095238
Because you poop on games
>>
>>4095238
Ignoring your gay spelling, Doom succeeded because it had tight controls, fast gameplay, and was also pretty revolutionary when it first came out.
>>
>>4095246
>tight controls
How many people who say this, actually play with the default control setup?
>>
It was gory, violent, the few written lines of story felt spot on ("they take no quarter, and crave none") and adult themed in a time when video games were mainly only being created for 10 year olds on consoles. PS FWIW I loved the shit out of my 8-bit NES when I was ten.

I bought the DOOM 4 collector's edition, loved it, and also grabbed a cool DOOM wallet which sits ornametally next to my NES Mini under the TV that I play all my PC games on these days.

Nothing will ever replace playing DOOM II (with a Saitek joystick!) when I was 12 though. I played with PC speaker only for a long time too until dad bought me a SB16 sound card. Mind. Blown.
>>
>>4095238
Great thread, summerfag.
>>
>>4095305
> NES Mini

Either emulate or get the real hardware plebe.
>>
>>4095372
I still own the original NES and games from my childhood, and yes I have been using emulators for over a decade.
>>
It's a game that gave no fucks. Violent, fast, controls tight as fuck, memorable and greatly varied enemies that work well together, levels were designed purely with gameplay in mind and visual second, really varied soundtrack that didn't stick to one genre, and all of that 90's edginess that everyone loves. Only game I know that has come close to Doom's level of awesomeness is Blood.
>>
>>4095238
Because it's a shooter from pre-9/11 so it's allowed to be something other than a brown and grey military sim.
>>
>>4095294
it supported mouse controls from the beginning
>>
>>4095305
>>4095393
These
They gave you a paragraph blurb about the backstory, but it was mostly an experience of slaughtering pig demons and zombies in confined spaces, and the desperation for resource management and survival.
>>
>>4095305
>DOOM with a joystick

Did a lot of people do this? I did when I was a kid because it made the most sense at the time. Had no idea mouse controls were possible, and turning & firing with keyboard never occurred to me. Joystick was so intuitive.
>>
>>4095238
Best movement of any 3-D games and some of the best/most satisfying weapons of any game.
>>
>>4095238
Why are you so awesome?
>>
>>4095294
>actually play with the default control setup?
How's that relevent? You have the option to rebind the controls and you'd be a fool not to. Only idiots blindly accept defaults, they do not reflect on game quality.
>>
>>4096206
Joystick/gamepad control was fairly popular, yeah. Probably saw more use than the WASD setup that is common today but less common than using the mouse to move (not just to turn, but as the primary movement device.) , which itself was less common than just using the keyboard.
>>
I am looking for the Download of any doom and open to playing some wads.
>>
because it was the first game to reward humping walls, giving birth to the wall-humping simulator genre. i remember when i was but a lad of three and first mashed the spacebar of my keyboard with doomguy face to face with a concrete wall, and as the wall fell to doomguy's advances I knew that this was the future.
>>
It's easy enough that the usual /v/ poster, who's a shitter that believes he's an expert, can beat it. There are also a lot of OP weapon mods that let said shitters plow through most custom maps with relative ease.
>>
File: 1498695291423.png (890KB, 680x1033px) Image search: [Google]
1498695291423.png
890KB, 680x1033px
Because it's a challenging game that can be played over and over again due to its many secrets.
>>
File: 1423632907164.png (214KB, 244x662px) Image search: [Google]
1423632907164.png
214KB, 244x662px
>>4096583

You know, I'm pretty sure this is copypasta, but if it isn't: goddamn. What if I'd been eating or drinking something ya crazy fool?
>>
>>4096206
>Did a lot of people do this? I did when I was a kid because it made the most sense at the time

Same. Originally I used a single button joystick, I couldn't even strafe. Still had to use the number keys to change weapons. I didn't know any better. In those days it never even occurred to me to use the mouse. Only when FPSs started using full XY aiming did it make sense to me.
>>
>>4096572
go to the doom general
>>
>>4096674
No. It's awesome because the challenge is good, the balance for SP is good, the level design is good (for some of it), he sound is good.
It's awesome because it's a good game.

Plenty of shitty challenging games with secrets, they aren't awesome. Doom isn't that.
>>
>>4096572
Here's everything you need, ever:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B47V8l2eVZKxRU82S3JkZkdBRXM
>>
>>4095238
I'd say the thing about the controls I miss the most when I play any other retro fps is the ''drift'' in the movement when you were strafing
>>
>>4095479
Yes, but you couldn't look up and down in vanilla
>>
File: 1490637945977.png (136KB, 846x775px) Image search: [Google]
1490637945977.png
136KB, 846x775px
beyond being a fun game, DOOM extended it's life time indefinitely by Carmack releasing source code and editors.

it let the community engage in the creative process

i don't understand why more companies don't understand this. on one hand level editors give the companies less control over a game, but on another hand the game community takes on a life of its own.
>>
>>4097915
The timing of the source release was pretty spot on, too. Doom community was still fairly active in 1997.
>>
>>4097915
The companies prefer to keep fans starving, so they can sell new titles with subpar effort, unafraid of Game 2, Game 3 and so on being inferior to fan made ones.
>>
I know this occurs in the Marathon trilogy but in doom if you move forward and strafe at the same time, does it move you at like 1.4 speed or something?
>>
>>4098092
Yes, straferunning moves faster.
>>
What are the best options for playing the original Doom on Mac OS today?
>>
>>4096490
The point is, is it really "tight controls" if you have to rebind them? And hell, for some people, they can't even play doom without the comfort of freelook, which requires a source port to even achieve.
>>
>>4098331
No sane man would ever play any PC game without tailoring the controls to his preference.

And the phrase 'tight controls' never ever refers to defaults, it is how well the game controls regardless of what buttons or keys you use to do it. Though I would actually disagree about the 'tightness' of Doom's controls, you move fast and loose and can't change directions instantly. I'd call Quake's controls 'tight' but not Doom's. Regardless your line of thought about rebinding invalidating the quality of controls is utter madness.
>>
>>4098240
source port like GZdoom
>>
>>4098502
>it is how well the game controls regardless of what buttons or keys you use to do it.

If its something that has to be rebound from the default, and even rely on hacks/exploits (always run and no vertical mouse movement) and source ports (freelook), then it already isn't a case of "regardless"
>>
>>4098608
Thanks desu
>>
>>4097574
There's not need for that in a game with out a vertical axis.
>>
>>4095238
it's not.
I can't stand the floaty movement and view bob.
>>
>>4098331
Generally when people refer to controls being tight they're talking about how movement feels not the actual bindings.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.