[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replaying games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

Is it silly to replay adventure style games like Zelda Super Metroid and Metal Gear Solid?
Once you know the secrets / where to go its kinda pointless isnt it?
Youre just going thru the motions
>inb4 speedrunning
>>
>>4095205
Also walkthrus
Why even play if u just gonna cheat
>>
>>4095205
Play the game in another language. Maybe even one you sort of know? I 100%'d ALttP last fall in French.

It's a great way to squeeze some replay value out of a game.
>>
They make a fantastic entertainment medium that way when played intoxicated. It becomes a movie-like medium that transcends what a normal movie can do. It applies to any other game, too, though.
>>
>>4095205
It depends why you're playing a game in the first place. If you're doing it for fun and find playing the game intrinsically fun, then no. If you're playing just to figure out how to win then yes.

It's only silly when it's a waste of time and you're not finding it fun. The whole purpose is fun.
>>
>>4095205
You're exactly the kind of guy the LttP Randomizer was made for
>>
>>4095230
Or Binding of Isaac
>>
It's like visiting home
>>
>>4095226
LIKE DUDE
DRUGS AMIRITE
>>
>>4095258
Yes faggot. Try some
>>
>>4095209
>>4095216
>going to these lengths just to get some enjoyment out of a game you already played

Srsly y
There's so many fucking games in existence, so many great classics you've never bothered playing. Why stick to the same few you already know inside and out when you could be trying out something completely new and fresh?
>>
NetHack has a lot of replay value, even if you ascend, if you avoid spoilers. Class quests, role/class combinations, conduct ascensions, then conduct stacking.
>>
>>4095273
>Why stick to the same few you already know inside and out when you could be trying out something completely new and fresh?

fun relaxation?
>>
>>4095226
>played intoxicated.
They were meant to be played by children and not drug addicts. Sorry.
>>
>>4095273
That isnt how nintenbros operate
>gotta do my yearly playthru of zelda / earthbound / final fantasy / chrono trigger
So comfy lads :p
>>
>>4095205
Because it's fun.
>>
>>4095316
You were never in arcades in the 80's were you?
>>
>>4095205
People like to play games, listen to albums, read books, watch movies, fuck cousins, and eat meals, that they've already enjoyed once.
Going through the motions is fine if they're good motions.
>>
>>4095273
Well for me I just wanted to practice my French. I did it with BotW and Bloodborne afterward.
>>
>>4095205
>Is it silly to replay platformer style games like Mario Sonic and Donkey Kong Country?
>Once you know the timing / when to jump its kinda pointless isnt it?
>Youre just going thru the motions
>>inb4 speedrunning
You can make this argument about any genre that isn't RNG based, and probably for some that are as well.
>>
>>4095205
If youbstill genuinely enjoy the experience then the time is not wasted. I'm a fan of rpgs, a genre most consider one of the least replayable. For some games once I beat I am done, maybe in a few years but not any time soon. For those I love I might do a playthrough or even two every year. It all depends on you. If you genuinely love ALttP then play it again, a great game is one that you can play again and again and not tire of.
>>
>>4095205
>Is it silly to replay adventure style games like Zelda Super Metroid and Metal Gear Solid?

I feel like I've replayed and beaten all those old games 100's of times... And I still want to play them again so for someone like me, no.
>>
>>4095446
Thats a good reason. Playing the same game again in another language is a good way to learn vocabulary and you can find regional differences.

Also I believe OP was referring only to story dirven games. Replaying games with randomly-generated content such as roguelikes is perfectly understandable
>>
>>4095316
Fuck you buddy. I'm an alcoholic, not a drug addict.
>>
>>4095478
I recently replayed MGS1 in German for shits and giggles. Hearing the dialogue in another language was interesting to me even if I can't understand it
>>
>>4095205
Hod forbid you enjoyed the game for the playstyle and responsive controls. Who woild ever want to face off against that one boss who really challenged you and you only beat on luck.
>>
>>4095205
Do Japanese games still have english text? I know Super Metroid does but that might be an exception
>>
>>4095446
>using botw and bloodborne to practice a language

fuck off you underage faggot
>>
I agree with you in general but I'd have to disagree with you in regards to Super Metroid.
The in-game timer and the large amount of sequence breaks (as well as some advanced movement techniques that require a fair amount of skill) provide a decent enough reason to keep coming back to it.
Metal Gear Solid has it's ranking system as well but there's little variation in the actual game. It does have an engaging story to carry it though.
>>
>>4095205
Nah.

I just replayed Final Fantasy 4. It kind of sucks now, but it was a nostalgic experience.

I usually kind of alternate these days. I'll play something I'm unfamiliar with, and if I didn't like it, I'll immediately turn around and play something I am familiar with.
>>
>Once you know the secrets/where to go
One of the good things of becoming older is forgetting things.
>>
File: 131119358387.jpg (38KB, 251x241px) Image search: [Google]
131119358387.jpg
38KB, 251x241px
>>4097117
>Alcohol is not a drug.
>>
>>4095454
One more reason Rogue is pretty much the best game
>>
>>4095205
I used to replay Majora's Mask once a year.
Kinda fell out of it.

It's not silly if you're having fun dawg.
>>
>>4095205
Most Metroid games have a great replay value.
MGS on the other hand is borderline an interactive movie, so I don't see much reason to play it again.
>>
If you're not already replaying it incessantly, it's nice to play through an old favourite every few years, to let some of that "new sparkle" regenerate. I replay OOT every five years or so and it's always a great time.
>>
>>4095226
All this needlessly verbose bullshit just to say
>dude drugs lmao

Why do kids lie about this sort of weird nonsense? Do they think anyone is impressed?
>>
>>4095205
youngfag detected

wait a couple of years and you'll have forgotten enough to enjoy stuff again
>>
>>4095205
Is it silly to reread books or rewatch movies? I mean once you know how it ends its kinda pointless isn't it?
>>
I've already replayed Halo 1-ODST at least half a dozen times. Also I have replayed fable 2 like 3-4 times.
>>
>>4099247
its losers with boring personalities I do that stuff and dont ever feel the need to tell other people except right now but just to give perspective
>>
>>4101357
I also replay Fable 2 and also the first one, if only they were longer
>>
>>4095205
>Is it silly to replay Super Metroid
What kind of a retarded question is this?
>>
>>4104609
So yes or no?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.