[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RGB and component video are indistinguishable.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

>>
I don't give a shit if it's RF. If I can see it, then it's playable.
>>
They are distinguishable, but only if you are very perceptive or are comparing side by side.

Also, many just choose the already available and therefore lowest cost option.

I personally went with component because the CRTs I own have it.
>>
>>4093871
then why coment?
>>
>>4093824
>RGB and component video are indistinguishable
You mean YPbPr? RGB is component you know, unless you are a dumbass normie without any clue.

Not really. Almost though.
RGB has slightly better colors, as it carries R+G+B+Sync instead of just R+B+Luma/Sync.
>>
Nah, I can see a pretty big jump in image quality going from composite to RGB. I have a harder time distinguishing between s video and RGB, but they're both way better looking than composite.
>>
>>4093824
Aren't component YPbPr sources often 4:2:2 while RBG would always have the equivalent amount of color information as 4:4:4?
>>
RGB and YPbPr are mathematically identical and if this is something that triggers you, step back and evaluate your shit.
>>
>>4093824
>RGB and component video

Yes? Nobody ever claimed to the contrary.

I mean, technically, if you examined the signals under an oscilloscope, yes, RGB could potentially be slightly cleaner (everything else being equal), but that variation is well below what would result in a visible video quality difference even on a PVM.

That said, RGB is more popular because many consoles natively output RGB. YUV component is limited to NA HD consumer televisions and... PS2 and Wii? I think maybe Xbox too, if that even counts as retro.
>>
>>4094057
>Nobody ever claimed to the contrary.
I always see euros on here acting like RGB over scart is somehow superior to YPbPr.
>>
>>4094080
If you're using a retro console on YPbPr you should probably be using an RGB Scart cable to begin with anyway. Those SNES component cables are neat and all but if you want to use even two consoles it's better to use a stand alone transcoder.
>>
>>4094015
>, unless you are a dumbass normie without any clue.
>Not really. Almost though.
>RGB has slightly better colors, as it carries R+G+B+Sync instead of just R+B+Luma/Sync.

You're talking about chroma subsampling, which AFAIK isn't a thing in analog video. Full RGB can literally be derived from the YPbPr signal.
>>
File: HD-retrovision_test.jpg (520KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
HD-retrovision_test.jpg
520KB, 2592x1944px
>>4094094
Decided to give the HD-retrovision cables a try, looks nice. I think the SNES cable also works with RGB modded N64s as well. Until someone mods my CRT TVs to accept JP-21 (I am in the US), component is the highest the consumer grade TVs accessible to me (PVMs and BVMs were not available in the middle of nowhere here).
>>
>>4093824
Is CSync preferable to Sync on Luma?
Is EuroSCART preferable to JP21?

I want to buy the best possible cable for my 1chip02 Super Famicom to use with OSSC
>>
>>4093950
>RGB has slightly better colors, as it carries R+G+B+Sync instead of just R+B+Luma/Sync.

Not correct. Both of them carry three full resolution signals where the signal is represented as luminosity, but is applied in different ways. However, YPbPr uses colour differences, which lessens the required bandwidth, thereby allowing for less signal distortion and therefore higher quality.

It's why you can do HD resolutions with it too, using only 3 rca jacks, while rgb would need minimum four (in reality five, rgb + h + v).
>>
>>4093895
did you get the hd retrovision cable?
>>
>>4094280
>Is CSync preferable to Sync on Luma?

CSync is complete idiocy because some consoles don't even have it terminated right; it isn't a functional output intended for use on television systems at all times. Also it is not what a SCART socket expects to be there and it will still try demultiplexing what it thinks is a composite signal. Except that the c-sync signal may not even be the same thing as the c-sync demuxed from the composite video, because some consoles, particularly Sega ones, output c-sync directly from the gpu, instead of outputting the correct signal from the video encoder, the one that the actual colour information is paired with.

c-sync on SCART on a regular telly will not get you a better signal, but it might end up getting you an off-centered one. At worst it can blow the gpu. I've seen consoles with broken c-sync pins due to this.

The only use of c-sync is if you use an input device that can't process composite, like a projector or a CGA monitor or a Framemeister.

Sync on luma makes some modicum of sense because it is still a fully functional video signal (if greyscale), which is what scart sockets assume that you put onto the composite pin.

The thing is, neither will give you better quality inside a SCART cable. Well technically they kind of do, since they reduce crosstalk by having less signals to crosstalk, but it's treating the symptom of a problem, not the cause. If you want better quality on your SCART cables, get one that uses individual shieldings on the r/g/b pins (which to my knowledge nobody makes because they are significantly more expensive, so you might need to buy a normal high-end scart cable, hack off one end and solder your consoles video output plug in place).
>>
>>4094315
hmmmm, would you recommend this cable for my SNES? I'm the guy you replied to.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SNES-NTSC-1-CHIP-03-SYNC-ON-LUMA-RGB-SCART-CABLE

And if so, would it matter whether it's euroscart or jp21?
>>
>>4094268
I just ordered a cable for my Genesis a few hours ago when they restocked. Hopefully the quality is at least as good as what my Wii puts out over component.
>>
>>4094292
>rgb would need minimum four (in reality five, rgb + h + v)
Not true from a technical standpoint. You can just as easily do RGB with three lines by putting the sync signal on green (or red or blue). It's just that not many TVs accept RGsB.

>>4094315
The Framemeister can use composite video for sync just fine.
>>
>>4094293
I did not. I use a couple of Extron devices to convert RGB to YPbPr and also switch between consoles because I hate SCART shenanigans.
>>
>>4094324
>>4094268
Those cables are just RGB cables that have transcoders built into them. They're a bit cheaper than a transcoder but they don't have pots to tweak. It does sound like their fixed levels are good though and it definitely cuts down on daisy chained adapters. If someone were to modify your TV to accept JP-21 they would just be putting a transcoder in it and wiring the appropriate socket.
>>
>>4094326
Several of my crts are compatible with sync-on-blue
>>
>>4093824
>indistinguishable
Sure they are. One's called RGB the other's called component. So you can, you know, distinguish between them.
>>
>>4094326
I believe anon was talking specifically about sending >15khz over RGB.

That of course doesn't make it (or what you said) true. I just sent and displayed a 2048x1080 (67.5khz) RGBS signal from an Extron DVS 510 to a Lacie Electron Blue IV with no ill effects whatsoever.
>>
>>4093970
Wrong out put, he's talking about component, not composite. Two different cables.

Composite - yellow white red plugs
Component - red green blue white red plugs
>>
>>4094859
There's nothing except compatibility with your display stopping you from sending higher resolutions over RGBS/RGsB. Hell, you can send >15khz over fucking composite if you really want to, it just won't be compatible with anything.
>>
>>4094879
Well >>4094292 said that you needed to use RGBHV which is not true.

I tried that same resolution over RGBS, RGsB and RGBHV and all were identical. The Extron has YUV capability also and that's where I ran into compatibility problems with the EB IV as it has no transcoding ability.

I think people tend to confuse the PS2's odd output configuration limitations with some sort of bandwidth restriction when using RGB vs YPbPr which simply isn't the case.
>>
I think hdretrovision component cables were meant to be restocked today. Are they good for a crt?
>>
>>4094890
They're fine, but overpriced. Just get SCART cables and a Shinybow component transcoder.
>>
>>4094891
I got csync rgb for my super fami , originally for ossc. Hope I didn't fuck up by not getting sync on luma
>>
>>4094898
Nope, you're fine.
>>
File: Forgot_to_enable_game_mode.jpg (653KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Forgot_to_enable_game_mode.jpg
653KB, 2592x1944px
>>4094324
I don't have a Wii, but in just my quick "verify they can function" it looks alright, so I forgot to turn on "game mode" on this LCD. Unlike the JP-21 cables I had made, which has a breakout headphone plug to get stereo audio out from the headphone jack of the model 1 Genesis, the adapter they sell will only take the mono audio from the back only.

>>4094534
Oh, then it may just be best I stick with these component cables for the Sony Wega my step-sister's mom is hoarding for me (until I get the muscle to move the thing in) instead of having custom work done. I will also inquire about the KV-36HS510 CRT TV my job has since neglected (again, once I can get some friends that can help move the heavy thing), which appears to also have a couple of component-in ports and a DVI-in too, therefore I think that TV could in theory accept some RGB signal without needing to transcode RGB to YPbPr if modded. I am not familiar with that TV, so I am aiming to ask the CRT thread sometime soon.

Life is suffering here since there are no BVMs to be had. Nor do I have the funds to afford a couple grand to have one freight shipped here from across the continent.
>>
>>4094891
Shinybow component transcoder
Is it a worthwhile trade off having something that requires its own power supply?
>>
>>4095016
Depends on how much that extra power outlet is worth to you. If you have three consoles, you're already saving quite a bit of money by going with a standalone transcoder.
>>
>>4094292
False.

>It's why you can do HD resolutions with it too, using only 3 rca jacks, while rgb would need minimum four (in reality five, rgb + h + v).
Also false.
>>
>>4094960
>transcode RGB to YPbPr
Do you know of a good transcoder, one that does vga to YPbPr?
>>
>>4095379
VGA is RGB+H/V(S) it's just generally locked at a higher refresh rate than SD displays want. You can push the refresh rate down to 15khz and just wire up an RGB Scart cable then transcode that to component although there's some debate about how careful you need to be about combining the sync. PVMs and arcade monitors will usually just take physically combined H+V sync but I've been told consumer TVs may not. I'm further unsure of how a "scart to yuv" transcoder will handle it and what a consumer YPbPr TV's reaction to the output would be. There's probably an arcadecontrols or klov forum thread where someone has done it though.

>>4094960
If the TV has a DVI port then it's most likely going to be upscaling SD video internally like any other HDTV would do. The main reason a person would use JP-21 format in the US is to feed a Framemeister but iirc they come with european scart to jp-21 adapters and the scart cables are easier to come by. The japanese cables may be somewhat less prone to crosstalk but they carry the same signal so there's no inherent advantage to them.
>>
>>4095426
I found these. I'm not sure if I want to buy this or spend more money on a shiny bow and a scart cable (about a $30 difference). A Shinybow at least has reviews showing it does proper 15khz.

>http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121491.240

>http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-830668574-conversor-vga-pc-p-video-componente-tv-crt-_JM
>>
>>4095507
>http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-830668574-conversor-vga-pc-p-video-componente-tv-crt-_JM
$190 huebucks is about $60 American which is about right for a transcoder. The transcoders themselves don't and shouldn't change the refresh rate (if they do they'll introduce all kinds of nasty side effects). The video card itself should be set to output 15khz.
>>
>>4095540
Ok cool thanks. If and when I get it I'll post the results. I really need to upgrade from my KD-VTCA2. It has a frame buffer and can't hold a video signal but can hold a 15khz still image fine.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.