[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VIC-20 Game Installation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: vic20.jpg (42KB, 587x350px) Image search: [Google]
vic20.jpg
42KB, 587x350px
So I happened to buy a Vic-20 on ebay for a good deal, $60, but it didn't come with any games. What's the best way to get games onto a Vic-20 for $20 or less? All the options I see(SD2IEC, buying a tape drive, SD expansion carts) are ridiculously expensive and are probably going to run me about half of what I spent on the console itself, not to mention that I sill have to buy a video cable for it. Any Suggestions?
>>
>>4093718

Are tape drives really that expensive? Huh.
I'd say knuckle under and get one of those SD cartridge things or the SD2IEC. If it avoids tape load times, it's worth it.

I used to start a game loading and then go make a sandwich or something.

I had a ton of games for my VIC. We bought this upgrade thing called "The Mother Board" that let you install like eight cartridges and switch them off and on, and it had a feature to dump carts to tape. So we could go down to the game shop and rent a VIC cartridge, then rip it to a cassette tape.
It was pretty sweet. I've still got a cassette of Ultima: Escape From Mt. Drash in storage somewhere, though I think the box is long gone.
>>
>>4093718
>good deal
No
>ridiculously expensive
No
There are many drive emulation options but SD2IEC is the only one viable for you
>>
Buy a 5500 tape drive and a cassette-to-headphone adapter like you'd use to plug your phone into a tape deck in your car. Download the games in wav format or better yet use a program that converts disk images into wavs and play them over your phone, through the tape drive, into the vic.

A floppy emulator would be better, faster and work with other computers you might buy in the future but it would be more like $40-$50.
>>
>>4094218
You seem to know a little. I was wondering if it was possible to have a RAM expander like the 8K Add-on and use it to load cartridge games through tape now that it has enough memore to do so.
>>
>>4094305
I have a vic-20 and a 5500 datacorder but I've never done this particular operation personally since it came with a decent assortment of carts - the 5500 came with my C64. However, this program on Sourceforge appears to be for doing exactly that. You'll have to try it for yourself though since I can't say for sure.

http://wav-prg.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>4096042
Looking at an emulator that i tested it on, it seems that you have to edit some machine code to get it to work b/c tape loading is different than cartridge loading
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.