[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Half-Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

Best shooter ever made. Is there anything similar out there or mods that are better than the original game and expansions?
>>
some mods that I remember playing:

Azure Sheep
Poke646
They Hunger
Todesangst 1 & 2
P.O.V.
Heart of Evil
USS Darkstar
Redemption (was on the Counter-Strike retail disc)
The Challenger Deep
>>
>best shooter ever made

lolno
>>
system shock 2, metro and stalker, seat 4, doom 3

>obscure one cryostasis
portal 1 and 2
the original prey
area 51 (freeware)

(i hear) the riddkck games are good

vietcong
>>
Half-Life was my favorite game (besides Goldeneye) to play versus friends.,
>>
File: awwwggh.jpg (143KB, 553x759px) Image search: [Google]
awwwggh.jpg
143KB, 553x759px
>>4093656
>Best shooter ever made.
>>
>>4093656
I love not knowing where to fucking go next.
>>
Is everyone memeing me when they say HL is the best thing ever? This shit literally invented the linear as fuck cinematic fpss that turned the genre into the pile of garbage it is now, and it isn't even fun, just a slog with bad physics.
>>
>>4094528
HL1 had a great multiplayer for its time. SP felt like too much filler, overrated for sure.
HL2 too suffered from artificially drawn-out playtime. Ironically, the "cinematic garbage" start of HL1 was the best and most memorable part.
>>
File: thotd2title.jpg (42KB, 512x382px) Image search: [Google]
thotd2title.jpg
42KB, 512x382px
>>4093656
>Best shooter ever made
lol
>>
>>4093714
>>4094523
>>4094541

single player campaign in HL is flawless. Prove me wrong
>>
>>4094543
>quick save quick load any time you want
>>
>>4094545
And you have no choice but to cheese it since those soldier squads will wreck your shit before you even noticed they were there.

>>4094543
Also fucking dumb platforming sections in an fps.
>>
>>4094545

care to name a FPS on PC that doesnt allow that?

no really, theres really one? i would like to know

>>4094546

>having trouble with HL platforming

lol git gud fag
>>
>>4094556
Being good at it or not is irrelevant, it's simply not fun, just a pain in the ass.
>>
>>4094556
No I can't, part of the reason why FPS is a terrible video game genre.
>>
>people still pretend hl1 was the pinnacle of fps gaming to fit in and look cool
The game is fun and all but it's not close to being "the best fps ever made" or anything. If you're juding the game by its single player campaign then F.E.A.R. would probably take its place hands down.
>>
>>4094567

its easier to make a better game when you have like 300 games of the same genre before you make one. Half Life changed a lot of shit implanted by Doom clones.
>>
>>4094581
>Half Life changed a lot of shit
For the worse.
>>
>>4094543
>HL is flawless. Prove me wrong
Poor hit detection even in single player.
AI that's retarded.
Fairly buggy.
Updates that have gimped the sound.
Level design of varying quality - IE all not good let alone flawless.

It's a perfectly mediocre FPS. Which is to say worth playing historically speaking. But it's not really that good.

>>4094567
FEAR is way worse than HL. If you took all the bad things about HL and made them a game that was mostly that and then made it buggy and even slowed it down, then slapped pretty graphics on top of it you'd have FEAR.
>>
>>4094567

Lol no, not with its shit level design and 60% of the game being copy pasted offices.
>>
>>4093656
Sin was better tbqh.
>>
Teamfortress best multiplayer ever IMO. Dustbowl level is perfect
>>
>>4094543
>single player campaign in HL is flawless
One word: Xen
easy peesy lemon squeezy
>>
>>4094809

I don't agree that HL is best. Blood is much better. But I'd say Xen wasn't as bad as people tend to say. It was a fun romp and a nice change from the drab steel hallways.
>>
>>4094809
>being bad at Xen
>>
File: Headcrab.gif (420KB, 500x434px) Image search: [Google]
Headcrab.gif
420KB, 500x434px
Half Life is engrossing from beginning to end. Other FPS games get boring after 30 mins. It did something right.
>>
File: anger (27).jpg (14KB, 361x270px) Image search: [Google]
anger (27).jpg
14KB, 361x270px
>>4094543
The level design is shit.
>>
>>4094541
>arcade shit
lol
>>
To everyone hating HL, whats the superior FPS game then?
>>
>>4095365
I love when the shitposting brigade talk big without even thinking. I guess HL reigns superior, period.
>>
>>4095356
The HotD series is awesome. What's your problem?
>>
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, HL was a 9/10 or 10/10 game back then, but it's gone downhill somewhat since then.

At a time when most shooters were attempting to mimic Doom's success by being non-stop carnage, HL instead created a world you had to navigate. You couldn't just run from point A to B, you had to climb and do platforming, even stop and think about where you were headed next sometimes. It wasn't just 15-20 levels you played through, it was sequential areas that followed a specific design. You couldn't use a minimap/automap to figure out where to go next, you had to use your head. To this day, the level design is one of the most memorable things about the game. I don't think anyone who has played the game can honestly say they don't remember Blast Pit.

The problem is the rest of the game has not held up. The AI was amazing shit back then, I don't remember playing many other games back then that had AI even near HL's level. The solders blew my friends and I away with how they would hunt and corner you, then flush you out with grenades. These days, we know they follow a set script, and can be easily broken by ramboing right into them. 75% of the time charging the solders will cause them to flee in a straight path, making them easy kills. A great deal of thrill is gone when you know how easy it really is. The gunplay was par for the course back then, but it's just mostly unresponsive bullet sponges now.

It doesn't help that your hitbox can be hard to picture either. You can expect to get hung up on corners and bounce off of walls that you thought you were far enough away from. In all fairness, many other 3D FPS games suffered from that same issue.

While the graphics make sense in theme, it means you'll be seeing the same few textures a lot. HL can practically be considered an accomplishment in re-using textures to keep a game size small. Doesn't look bad, just grows old as the game goes on.
>>
>>4094524
how the fuck do you get lost in hl1
>>
File: OOOOOH.jpg (15KB, 480x534px) Image search: [Google]
OOOOOH.jpg
15KB, 480x534px
>>4095825
By being honest with myself.
>>
>>4094803
Do people still play this?
>>
>>4095825
>roughly 50% corridors
>still gets lost
Takes a special kind of retardation I'd imagine.
>>
>>4095835
It's easy when you use a guide innit
>>
>>4095841
I've never used a guide on HL, who would need to? You follow the tracks on On A Rail, you don't get lost. There's 3-4 open areas in Surface Tension, and they are all easy to tell apart from each other. Where the HELL are you getting lost in this game, you retarded millennial?
>>
The level design in HL1 isn't intuitive at all. If you get stuck, it's not well-designed. It's that simple. It also did a shit job of telling you what you can and cannot do at any given time. It likes to change the rules whenever it likes. There's too little consistency. An area that would kill you at one moment won't kill you the next and you have no indication that anything's changed. Many areas look the same. It doesn't bother to tell you that you might need to pick up a thing to move it next to another thing so you can climb up to a door. There's only one part in the game that requires this, and there's no tutorializing for it. Not to mention the gotcha death traps you have no way of preparing for.
>>
Oh, and Doom/Quake are the same way. They're these shooters, but you're supposed to "explore". There's no methodology to finding keycards. It's hit and miss, trial and error. And you certainly can't choose how you open the next door. You get the keycard, or you cheat.
>>
If you're going to sell something as an action game, why put exploration or puzzles in it at all? Variety in gameplay is nice, but if the core mechanic of the game is aiming and clicking, what does throwing switches have to do with anything? If the core mechanic is just "a 3-dimensional space with occasional shooting", why not call them "3D games"? Because obviously the focus isn't action, it's about having threeeeee dimensions.
>>
One of the things I really liked about H1 are the expansion missions because it added more to the universe.

I like being able to play as other characters in different situations at different places so you can see more of what's going on elsewhere.
>>
>If you get stuck, it's not well-designed.
>They're these shooters, but you're supposed to "explore".
>If you're going to sell something as an action game, why put exploration or puzzles in it at all?
It's not a hallway full of enemies so it's bad? First time I've heard this argument. Ever.
>>
>>4096040
It's people arguing for the sake of arguing, contrarianism rules supreme here.
>>
>>4096060
>people
I'm pretty sure it's just one shitposter. He can't mention WHERE he got stuck, since everyone would laugh at his stupidity, so instead he's gonna attack the level design with the dumbest argument ever.
>>
File: CdIKqpf.gif (59KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
CdIKqpf.gif
59KB, 240x180px
>>4096069
Not even shitposting. I mostly got stuck in the tram section. Confusing as shit. I can't remember getting too stuck in any one location, but it was rough throughout. Every section I'd have to dick around until I found the magic thing to activate.

What's your argument?
>>
I have some very strong opinions about this game, and they are negative.
If I had to describe this game in a shitpost, it would be
r/iamverysmart: the video game.
The psuedo-intellectual garbage that this game calls a backstory is fucking ridiculous and I fail to take it seriously, it obviously rips off Alien, John Carpenter's The Thing, ET, and yet the storytelling is fucking cringeworthy as fuck. I get that a lot of the sound effects are classic to a lot of people, but for fall of 1998, the noise floor and bit rate of the sound in this game is absolute shit, not to mention, the game fucking aims for you and you have to be the length of a gnat's dick for the crowbar to detect a hit. It just seems like a very unpolished cringeworthy game. You know that reddit post with the girl holding the portal gun who didn't beat portal? That image alone describes this entire fucking game.
>>
>>4096474
Who have done this before in video game?
gee.. i guess its better to stick with the same generic setups right and doom clones right.
>>
>>4096364
>I mostly got stuck in the tram section. Confusing as shit.
You follow the FUCKING rails, and it's impossible to get lost. You have to be legally retarded to get lost there.
>Every section I'd have to dick around until I found the magic thing to activate.
So...the rocket launch, the airstrike against the giant alien, and....the trip to Xen? Everything else is "reach this exit to the next area", with no "magic thing to activate" in existence.

Judging by what you say, I don't believe you actually played the game. If you did you would have more valid complaints than "It's not a straight hallway full of enemies!"
>>
>>4097732
Goldeneye was the first commercially successful FPS that wasn't cloning Doom. Not Half-Life.
>>
>>4097830
Excuse me, not talking about commercially successful games, just saying HL did something different and that poster shitted it for that.
>>
>>4097852
By the time Half-Life came out, merely not being a Doom clone was not enough to be different.

I agree the presentation of the story and levels was different to other games though.
>>
>>4097862
Besides HL what was the great FPS games? Born in 1993, couldn't really follow the generation. but I remember playing Goldeneye to death.
>>
>>4097868
Depends what period you're talking about.

SiN, Unreal, Rainbow Six, Turok 2 and Delta Force were decent FPS alternatives to Half-Life in 1998, though they each did their own thing.
>>
>>4097830

but goldeneye has aged like fucking milk and the fact you have to play with the N64 controller only makes it worse.
>>
File: yeah let's do that.png (61KB, 204x236px) Image search: [Google]
yeah let's do that.png
61KB, 204x236px
>>4097817
>>I mostly got stuck in the tram section. Confusing as shit.
>You follow the FUCKING rails, and it's impossible to get lost. You have to be legally retarded to get lost there.
Don't bullshit me dude. The tracks loop around. I think you've got some nostalgia glasses on. Upload a vid of you doing it if you're THAT confident. Spoiler: you won't because you know it's fucking true.

>>Every section I'd have to dick around until I found the magic thing to activate.
>So...the rocket launch, the airstrike against the giant alien, and....the trip to Xen? Everything else is "reach this exit to the next area", with no "magic thing to activate" in existence.
Nice cherry picking.

>Judging by what you say, I don't believe you actually played the game. If you did you would have more valid complaints than "It's not a straight hallway full of enemies!"
ib4 hurr durr I'm too good to reply to this post because I have muh better things to do. Please don't strawman. If you hadn't been posting in a HL thread, I'd swear you're one of those Final Fantasy/Sonic dorks.
>>
>>4097994
Your opinion doesn't change commercial facts.
>>
What has Half Life really brought to the table?
No game after it really did its awkward style of presenting exposition to the player in the middle of gameplay, every game after it either takes control away from the player or does cutscenes. It didn't invent cutscenes, and it never really takes control away from the player. So what did it do that every shooter has to somehow magically thank it for? Absolutely nothing. Babby's first FPS.
>>
>>4094976
You found Blood, Duke and Doom boring after 30 minutes?
>>
File: 1483428759086.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1483428759086.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
Why are the marines such a chore to fight? Like why did they think to make hitscanners so tanky.
>>
>>4098209
All of of people have this fondness for "arena shooters", well damn it, does anyone else have a fondness for labyrinth shooters? It's better than the linear crap these days.
>>
>>4098271
Here's how to fight the marines.

You either:

A: Stay the fuck away from them and pelt their faces with the pistol

or

B: Go up right in their face and buckshotty shotty

Any variations of the above work so long as you NEVER engage them at medium range. I.E. try to MP5 them.

The theory is kill far away outside of their range or up close so quick they never get time to rack up damage.

Snipe OR Point blank, but not in between.
>>
File: 1156717868-00.jpg (198KB, 800x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1156717868-00.jpg
198KB, 800x1344px
>>4097868
Powerslave was a great game that took the Super Metroid approach of non-linear game design and put it in a Doom-like FPS. Sadly, the PC version is completely different and linear, and the console versions (Saturn and PS1) don't get mentioned as much. Thankfully there's a total conversion of the PS1 version called Powerslave EX available.
>>
Half-Life gave us Counter Strike, ohh how I miss CAL league and signing up for OGL to blast noobs.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.