[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /vr/ opinions on Fire Emblem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 200px-FERK_Logo.png (29KB, 200x91px) Image search: [Google]
200px-FERK_Logo.png
29KB, 200x91px
What is /vr/ opinions on Fire Emblem?
>>
>>4092564

Poor mans Advance Wars
>>
>>4092564

Kind of boring
>>
>>4092564
I stumbled upon Genealogy of the Holy War in a random SNES RPG website. I had to switch between two translation patches to play it: one for the dialogue, another for the menus and items. It is still my favourite SNES game. The characters, story and gameplay, and the way combat and narration intertwined, hit me deeply as plain great. I was 13 or 14 I think.

I tried Thracia after but there were no translation patches for it and I would not play it if I couldn't understand every bit of the dialogue. Way later, when the GBA FEs came out, I completed them all. I did miss the huge maps withs loads of secrets and possible strategies and whatnot, and a lot of the things I loved had been reworked, but they had added some good stuff (playable black mages for example). I couldn't stomach the DS remake.

And that's my opinion on the series I guess. Seisen no Keifu - bloody great.
>>
File: ch10.png (105KB, 512x349px) Image search: [Google]
ch10.png
105KB, 512x349px
>>4092564
Fire Emblem is one of my favourite series and Fire Emblem Thracia 776 is my favourite game of all time. I like how the gameplay mechanics are relatively basic and understandable while still containing a considerable degree of tactical depth. Some key points of the series are resource management (including weapon durability) and permanent death, but to me the most notable aspect of Fire Emblem is the level design. The FE series is about traversing the levels, not just killing enemies, and each map is designed to pose various obstacles to the player that can be overcome using the various tools available. Depending on the map you may have to adjust your units and/or tactics because different situations require a different approach to achieve success. However, there's always several viable options for a given situation so there's plenty of room for creativity.

There are many different approaches to playing these games. Some people only plan out one possible route through the game and reset until all random events roll in the player's favour. However I think this removes a great deal of the experience. I recommend trying to plan out reliable tactics and playing through the entire game without resetting. You will find your tactics become more complex as you factor in backup plans for when an unlikely event occurs. As you get more familiar with the series you will naturally consider all the tools you have available and how they can best be employed in a given situation. And if that's not enough, aim for completing the game in as few turns as possible while still being safe - you pass up a lot of resources and require very elaborate tactics to reach the goal quickly.

One thing I'm not too enthusiastic with is the random growth mechanic. I get why it exists, and it does make replays more varied, but I don't like the randomness. Sometimes I play a hacked version with 0% growths; I'm actually in the middle of a low turn count run of FE5 (with no warp staff either).
>>
>>4092564
I don't really like them at all, not my kind of thing. I can see why somebody else would like it, though.
>>
>>4092564
Never really liked the retro ones, and I don't like the newer ones.
The only think I've ever liked about FE is the over the top critical animations from the GBA games.

For some reason the story is always too bland for a fantasy game, no fun at all.
>>
>>4092797
IV story is fantastic IMO.

But, hey, opinions.
>>
>>4092724
>I had to switch between two translation patches to play it: one for the dialogue, another for the menus and items.

roru watto
>>
retro ones the only ones that are still now relevants (imo) are the Judgral series since all of Archena has been remade 1-3 and overall have been considered improvements from their original counterparts
Geneaology has been great so far I really love the story and how developed some characters are.
GBA are overall great games maybe not so much 8
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.