[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rareware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: blastcorps.png (197KB, 400x313px) Image search: [Google]
blastcorps.png
197KB, 400x313px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjWaZxeYYTU
How do you honestly feel about Rare?
Share your thoughts, experiences, favorites and least liked.
>>
they're terrible collectathons where you jump through endless hoops with little to no emergent gameplay or entertaining physics

they just feel bad to play because of lazy quality assurance on the math

the games almost all have terrible colors and ridiculously stupid character concepts

DKC is the only one that's borderline acceptable, and that's solely because of the graphics and the music, which they consistently failed to replicate
>>
>>4091764

>i hate fun

You're a real corker at parties, aren't you Anon?
>>
>>4091764
>emergent gameplay
Nice one anon, you got me until there. 2/10.
>>
>>4091775
I actually hate things that aren't fun, if you actually read the post
>>
>>4091787

Then you should love at least a few of Rare's games.
>>
I don't get it why people love Metroidvanias but hate collectathons. Ain't they the same shit?

Collectathons are lots of fun to speedrun at least.
>>
>>4091747
Blast Corps was one of the most underrated titles on N64. It would look really cool pn a 3ds. Smashing the buildings had to be done in a specific order and there's no to time to fuck around unless you want to see an epic death animation where you and the rest of the map are doused in nuclear fire. Also the fucking trees are indestructible. Motherfuckers.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 400x225px
>>4091747
Dk64 and diddy kong are nice.

Battletoads too.
>>
File: Perfect Dark(JP Cover).png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Perfect Dark(JP Cover).png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>4091747
I'm not a huge fan of their 3D collectathons although I can understand why people love them. But I love their FPS series AND DK Country, especially Perfect Dark. I hope they port Perfect Dark Zero to Windows tbqh, along with the other Xbox 360 re-master of the original.
>>
I love Conker's Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct 1-2 for arcade, Battletoads for arcade, Battletoads & Double Dragon (Genesis) and Donkey Kong Country 1-2. I remember liking the first two Banjo games, Donkey Kong Country 3, and Battletoads for NES, Killer Instinct for SNES, Killer Instinct Gold for N64, and Perfect Dark but I can't say how well they hold up because I haven't played them in a long time.
>>
>>4091815
The way this people typically define collectathons, DOOM is a collectathon. It's a pretty garbage term that does a poor job of describing the genre (3D platformers) that it usually gets ascribed to.

However, in collectathons you are usually advancing by achieving goals in the levels and being rewarded with keys (jiggies, stars, etc), whereas in metroidvanias the items/skills you gain to advance are usually instrumental to the gameplay.

The lines get blurred though, as in most 3D plaformers you also gain skills or abilities (like Mario's hats or BK's moves) that allow further exploration of the overworld. So in that sense the two genres are pretty similar.
>>
dkc2 was their peak

dkc2 or mario 3? what is the goat platformer?

>in b4 hurrr yoshis island
>>
>>4091747

The only game studio to surpass nintendo. They made some of the best games ever created. I stopped liking videogames when Rare was bought by microsoft. Never again a game studio reached the same quality.
>>
>>4092367
Nearly all collectables in Metroidvania's will power up your character in some way.
In collectathons, 90% of collectables are arbitrary for the level only, nothing more than a number going higher.

Also collectathons tend to have hub worlds where Metroidvania's are one big interconnected map.
>>
During the N64 era, Rare had some of the best gameplay programmers in the industry. They were figuring out 3D movement and fun games while other developers struggled to compete.

Which is funny, because Rare currently has no gameplay programmers anymore.
>>
>>4092367
Its honestly pretty stupid coming on the heels of SM64 which gives you a full set of abilities to start with and whose magic cap items represent enclosed skill testing gameplay events with their own mechanics and challenges that give you a timer to complete the goals that are meaningful to you.

There's no lock and key shit that isn't actual locks and actual keys

Not to mention playing B&K or DK64 after SM64 just feels like complete shit because of the physics and the way it feels to move the character, and desu Crash and Spyro suck for the same reason.

SM64 basically ruins every 3D adventure game/platformer/collectathon all the way up until Jak and Daxter, you can seriously just skip all those shit games and miss absolutely nothing.
>>
Their nintendo years:

DKC = 8.5/10
DKC2 = 10/10
DKC3 = 6/10
Killer instinct = 7/10
Killer instinct gold = 8.5/10
Blast corps = 6/10
Diddy kong racing = 9/10
goldeneye = 9.5/10
banjo kazooie = 9.5/10
jet force gemini = 8/10
DK64 = 6/10
Banjo tooie = 7/10
Perfect dark = 10/10
mickey speedway usa = 5/10
Conker's bad fur day = 10/10
star fox adventures = 5/10

Their MS years:

grabbed by the ghoulies = 4/10
conker live and reloaded = 6/10
perfect dark zero = 6/10
kameo = 7/10
viva pinata 1 and 2 = 5.5/10
banjo nuts and bolts = 7/10

and then they were dead
>>
>>4092403

blast corps is 7/10 arguably 7.5 and is actually an amazing game
>>
>>4092390

I think Banjo controls in the air way better than Mario?
>>
>>4092440
I think you're a faggot?
>>
>>4092403
I agree with almost all of this but like >>4092426
said Blast Corps definitely deserves better, it's a totally innovative game that plays tightly and runs well.
>>
>>4092390
Banjo may not have as good of physics as Mario 64 and imo it's not quite as good a game, but it's still definitely worth playing for the excellent level design alone. BK also has a bunch of unique moves and the games play fairly differently.
>>
>>4092403
>not listing the NES games
3/10
>>
I loved Blast Corps. Just a few months ago I started it up again, thought that with my adult mind and skills I can now do better with the drift loader. Turns out it's going as shitty as it went 20 years ago.
>>
>>4092697

I don't have much experience with them other than battletoads to do so.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.