[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy some N64 controllers but since they're somewhat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 220px-N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg (8KB, 220x182px) Image search: [Google]
220px-N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg
8KB, 220x182px
I want to buy some N64 controllers but since they're somewhat expensive and most of the joysticks will be quite loose, I thought it would be a better idea to buy a new third party one. What is the cheapest you can get where the joystick works well enough? (not loose -or badly calibrated)
>>
Buy an used one and then buy this stuff to fix it:

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears

Remember to grease it, check a Youtube tutorial.
>>
>>4090880
But it would probally cost more in the end that way
>>
>>4090889
There is no good third party controller except for the Hori one.
>>
>>4090896
So besides the Hori, none have a working joystick?
>>
>>4090941
Most are not good, check youtube reviews.
>>
>>4090880
Neat. Anyone try these before? I've been wanting to fix some loose sticks but I've heard replacing the entire stick with a new one does not have very good results. Replacing the gears looks more promising.
>>
I wish someone would make a "playstation controller to n64 plug" converter desu.
>>
>>4091207
Why? The button mapping would be all wonky.
Square -> B
X -> A
O -> C-down
Triangle -> C-up
L1 -> Z
L2 -> C-left
R1 -> R
R2 -> C-right
Select -> L
>>
>>4091315
Right stick could be the C buttons.

Might not work well for some games, but it would for basically all the ones I play.
>>
>>4091185
I'm not sure about the whole thing, but the gears are excellent, you may need to sand it a little bit, but it is no so bad.

But I thank that the stick and the base are on a par with the gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF6zoJt_8-4
>>
>>4090896
How come only Hori's are good?
>>
>>4090861

all third party controllers I've used are fucking garbage, like Mario 64 is completely unplayable level of trash. I'd rather use a first party controller with its ass run into the ground than a brand new third party one.

The hori one comes closest to being good. You can get by on most games except Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64.
>>
>>4092923
Are you saying a Hori Mini Pad doesn't perform well in Mario 64 and Mario Kart?

That would make the cost of those controllers hard to justify
>>
>>4093049
I guess when he says third party, he means those cheap unbranded ones. Hori Pads are amazing, but it's tough finding one for a reasonable price
>>
>>4093318
Yes, all I'm looking for is one that is cheaper than 1st party and with sticks that work
>>
>>4090861
My biggest issue with N64 emulation has always been finding gamepads with six face buttons.
>>
File: Z0053849.jpg (61KB, 1023x597px) Image search: [Google]
Z0053849.jpg
61KB, 1023x597px
>>4093319
The Superpad 64 has a good stick, it's metal so it will inevitably be easier to find one in better condition than the official sticks. My biggest gripe is that the stick has a noticeable axis. You can kind of feel it moving along the gears, if that makes sense. The placement of the Z-button is also really wonky and you're encouraged by the ergonomics to hit it with your middle finger, which feels unnatural to me.

Honestly nothing compares to the first party controller. It gets shit on for it's unusual design but if you hold it correctly it's ergonomically a great controller. It's the only controller that works well with all games. The gamecube style 3rd party sticks (like the Hori) have trouble with aiming in games like Goldeneye, and the placement of the tiny Dpad makes games like Mischief Makers and Kirby harder to play. The SuperPad/MakoPad has the weird Z-button. Apparently the N64 Arcade Stick is decent but there are maybe 3 or 4 games in the entire library you'd want to use it for.

Try to find an official one in decent shape and grease the internal bowl/gears with lithium grease.
>>
>>4093337
>and grease the internal bowl/gears with lithium grease.
Can it become loose again after some time? Or is this a permanent change?
>>
>>4093345
Greasing it doesn't tighten the stick really, it's just to prevent damage. If you use a good lube you probably won't have to grease it again for several years, maybe even never again.

If you have a damaged controller there are a lot of people making replacement parts for the sticks. I think the first poster in this thread linked one, but I have no idea how well they work.
>>
>>4093345
If it is floppy you will need to replace the parts, the Kitsch bent stuff is good, but you may have to sand the rough parts.
>>
File: $_12.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>4093337
Are these the same?
>>
>>4093337

Actually that right there looks like it would be fucking PERFECT providing the build quality is up to snuff. Are they still manufactured, or hard to get if not?
>>
>>4093929
I've never used one of these so I can't vouch for them.

>>4093942
They're definitely not still being made, they were around when the N64 was still in stores. A quick look on ebay shows a few listings for them around $25. Not exactly cheap but not difficult to find at least.
>>
or just go to a garage sale and pick up some near mint condition ones. I've found 2-3 in great condition. I only went to around 10 garage sales looking before I found them and I live in a small ass town.
>>
File: 1491350928756.png (341KB, 634x483px) Image search: [Google]
1491350928756.png
341KB, 634x483px
>>4090861
Don't buy 3rd party
We have so many unused "yobo" and others laying around it's really sad.

They feel absolutely horrible to the point where games like Mariokart are unplayable

LITERALLY unplayable anon
Save your money and buy one in person (1st party)

Start collecting all the different colors
I can't vouch for any 3rd party repair shenanigans [although kitschbent is usually pretty legit]

You want the real thing , it's unfortunate the price has gone up a bit since launch , but you gotta pay to play bb
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.