[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PSone vidya

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: Hogs-of-war[1].jpg (12KB, 256x251px) Image search: [Google]
Hogs-of-war[1].jpg
12KB, 256x251px
give me your absolute top tier ps1 single player games, games that are a delight even today, that have aged well and that feel refined and polished even some 20 years later.

no jRPGs though, as much as I want to like the ps1 era jrpgs they all shit the bed equally almost.

Pic related is pretty good stuff, 3d worms-like, plus you can permanently lose your dudes and the difficulty gets ramped up as you progress. Framerate is kinda odd but everything else is top notch.
>>
Was a good game. Sadly I was only 7-8 years old when I played it so I got stuck and didn't finish the game.
>>
Einhander - Amazing shooter

Front Mission 3 - Tactics mech game

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Even though it's old it still has great game play and a good story mode.

Wipeout XL (2097)

Klonoa
>>
>>4090482
crash(1-3)
syphon filter(1-3)
mgs(try rankings on expert, not killing anybody on map, stealth way)
spyro 2, Medievil1&2 (if you mind the low difficulty- don't. it's teenager difficulty)
Space police 1
Twisted metal 2(campaign)

That's all I think. I played most of survival horrors on psx, but wouldn't place them in top tier. Out of those, Fear effect 1/2 seemed the most polished one. Try it out if you wish.

>ps1 era jrpgs they all shit the bed equally almost.
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>4090620
Also I agree with hogs of war. Remember one mission is bugged and cant get medal that is visible.

The unholy war is also quite, if not more, hidden gem, like hogs. Try campaign on hard difficulty, very engaging.
>>
>>4090482
Plus Rik Mayall did the voices.

Didn't play it back in the day for obvious reasons but I've enjoyed LSD recently. Tekken 3 is still good fun too.
>>
>>4090620
>>4090620
fear effect is extremely unpolished and VERY trial and error at times, in a bad way too.

RE1/3 aged like fine wine both visually (on real crt tv) and mechanically. its tight and responsive in terms of controls, plus no bugs at all.
>>
Nightmare Creatures, if mainly for the soundtrack, is still enjoyable.
>>
>>4090679
I said out of survival horrors on PSX. Didn't say anything about Fear effect being great.

>RE1/3 aged like fine wine both visually
especially RE1 with it's blood effects(looks like jelly), and blocky characters almost looking like virtua fighter blocks. Voices are crap.

They both have poor replayability, you don't want to return to these games after 15 years. Becouse you'll end up knowing where the ammo is, having no challenge at all, and running mundane courses though halls. It also hurts that you know, that Nemesis fights can be avoided, all except one, so it's no longer scary.

In what ways fear effect is extremely unpolished? It has legitimate voice acting, good controls, and very good visuals for PSX game.
>>
>>4090620
So you put Medievill as well as Spyro in top tier, but you shrug aside all of the Resident Evil trilogy as well as Castlevania SoTN?

Fear Effect 1 is okay and 2 is garbage.
>>
Also,
Ape Escape
Castlevania Chronicles
Ghost in the Shell
Syphon Filter trilogy
Doom/Final Doom
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor Underground
PowerSlave
R-Type Delta
G-Darius
>>
File: www.png (42KB, 846x592px) Image search: [Google]
www.png
42KB, 846x592px
>>4090697
classic RE games have no replayability? they are some of the comfiest PS1 games dude.

damn what shit opinions you got.
>>
>>4090703
Great examples, especially the two MOH games on the system.
>>
Unironically Silent Hill.
>>
Disney had some surprisingly solid licensed platform/adventure games on the system, including but not limited to:
>Hercules
>Tarzan
>Toy Story 2
>>
>>4090701
>but you shrug aside all of the Resident Evil trilogy as well as Castlevania SoTN?
>shrugged of castlevania SoTN
didn't it occur to you that I haven't played all of PSX library?
Yes, I put Medievil and Spyro far above Resident evil. Even though I have played resident evil a lot and it was my favourite game when I was a teen, can't say objectively that it was top.
>>
>>4090715
>shit opinions
> 'comfiest'
>some neet millenials meme in the pic
off to /v you go
>>
>>4090782
Don't know about toy story, but Hercules was one notch above Tarzan. Still they can't compete with abe's odysee.

Speaking of which:
>>4090620
Forgot to add:
Ab's odysee and axodus
Skull monkeys
>>
>>4090703
>Tenchu 1
> feeling refined and polished after 20 years
How about no? Dissapearing enemies bug, obscurity, bad dialogues.Also, some levels are badly designed. Great game, but not top notch like op wants.

Can't say anything about the shmups and Ghost in the shell you have listed, but others seem top, especially ape escape, moh and syphon filter.
>>
>>4090801
>Look at me and how mature and adult I am while I discuss about video games, a very mature hobby itself

Nigger get the fuck out
>>
>>4090482
eddie you complete BARRSTARRD
>>
>>4090482
THPS2, GT2, Smackdown 2(one of the best fighting games on the system, no shit), Tekken 3.

But seriously, THPS2.
>>
File: Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png (129KB, 256x254px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png
129KB, 256x254px
>>4090703
>Ghost in the Shell
Came to post this.
>>
The following are all 9 or 10/10 gems. You won't go wrong with any of them

Silent Hill (best game)
Tekken 3
Spyro 2-3
Crash 2-3
Gran Turismo 2
Metal Gear Solid
Syphon Filter 1-3
Resident Evil 2-3
Ape Escape
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Medal of Honor + Underground
Tomb Raider 1-3
Tenchu
Abe's Oddysee + Exoddus
Quake 2
>>
>>4090482
PO'ed
Front Mission 2, 3 and Alternative
Resident Evil 1,2,3
SkullMonkeys
Ace Combat 2,3
Blood Omen
MDK
>>
File: 10242686.jpg (27KB, 782x363px) Image search: [Google]
10242686.jpg
27KB, 782x363px
>>4092239
>>4092362
>residents with all its puzzles for idiots and hallway traversing, and unksippable on PSX shit dialogues(RE1,2)
>crash 3 with all that medival/underwater/road stages
>Spyro 3 instead spyro 1
>tomb raiders with loading psx times after each trial and error death. also crap controls, feels like really old game
>tenchu with all its bugs and crappy story. not tenchu 2

What's the point of this board? OP presented true gem, and people post 7/10 stuff, just becouse nostalgia.
>>
>>4092661
What's wrong with medieval stages
>>
I present a cheesy underrated gem with an equally cheesy title - CT forces (has a sequel too).

Basically slow-paced Metal Slug clone. It's therefore a bit more methodical , especially in coop. Has a bit more gameplay variety than Metal Slug too, since there are various mini-game kind of levels like parachuting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px4zQsuG7sA
>>
>>4092661
Congrats on your shit taste and even shittier English.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
>>4092702
All behave like first stage: very flat, very easy obstacles, very poor, bland design.

Dino, egyptian, maybe arabian stages were good, rest were pretty bland or gimmick stages. I mean, I liked it as a kid, but come on. Are they really that fun? Crash 2 had the best ballance of good looking with mechanically proper. Some Crash 1 stages were too ugly.
>>
>>4092740
I told you to fuck off to /v to play with rest of toodlers.
>>
File: vigilante-8-second-offense-usa.jpg (187KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
vigilante-8-second-offense-usa.jpg
187KB, 600x595px
>>4090482
best original worms 3d I loved this game to pieces
>>4090620
>syphon filter(1-3)
>mgs(try rankings on expert, not killing anybody on map, stealth way)
mah nigga, I even love the ps2 syphon filter, rip series ;;

pic related
>>
>>4092758
Frying somebody with taser is a 11/10 experience.

Picrel is even better with 2 players coop, playing missions and doing objectives together. Salvage points are kind of annoying, and change of look of cars for more futuro with upgrades is kind of cheesy.(flying trash master lol).

Try mrumu.com if you want a site where people actually talk and not fling shit like monkeys in the zoo. We also have /games section
>>
>>4092741
I thought it was by tradition that first levels are meant to be very straight forward not counting gems and shit
>>
>>4092742
You first, ESL faggot :)
>>
>>4092769
first level yes, but not keeping first level until half of game.
>>
>>4092773
>ESL
What?
>>
File: threads-of-fate-barfing.png (380KB, 599x450px) Image search: [Google]
threads-of-fate-barfing.png
380KB, 599x450px
Threads of fate was quite entertaining, specially Mint's route.
Also had a great time with Tomba. I started 2 but it didn't get my attention.
Vagrant Story
I have Galerians and Parasite eve ready, should I give them a try?
>>
>>4092878
Parasite Eve, yes. OP here, it's exactly what I described originally, you will enjoy it a lot. A lot of nice little touches in that game, sequel too.
>>
>>4092879
Why is Parasite Eve good? I wouldn't place it on the same tier as holy Hogs of War.
>>
>>4092927
Its far more polished and higher quality overall than HOW.

>NPCs have new lines of dialogues every time something important happens
>free-roam around the city and (some) exploration
>interesting weapon fusing system and variety of weapons themselves
>simple story that doesn't make itself too complex or too convoluted
>awesome OST

Game simply has a bunch of these little parts where you will go "huh I wonder if i can try to do this and if it will work/something will be there/if it will make a difference in something, and it typically does.

The only flaw is that visually its a bit outdated, and was even then. Backgrounds are not nearly as detailed as RE2/3 or Dino Crisis 2. It's pretty much RE1 visual level, although far more colorful.
>>
>>4092739
I would start with the second game though.
>>
>>4092932
>Its far more polished and higher quality overall than HOW.
So is Gears of War or call of duty. That doesn't make it a better game.

>>NPCs have new lines of dialogues every time something important happens
Ummm. Cool, I guess?
>some exploration
Every game aside from sport games ever.
>interesting weapon fusing system and variety of weapons themselves
I agree. But it's about quality, not quanity.
>simple story that doesn't make itself too complex or too convoluted
I agree. So does Spyro.
>awesome OST
I agree, nice.
>>
>>4092936
Well that is nice until you compare it to HoW. And I love HoW so don't get triggered here:

>clunky movement, very hard to make precise one or two steps
>no variation in character models
>no variation in OST, very bland and few tracks
>no variety in multiplayer modes

It's a fun game but it's first and foremost a multiplayer title and as such its forgiven a whole lot more.
>>
>>4092942
>clunky movement, very hard to make precise one or two steps
You can still play very well.
>no variation in character models
I don't care. The races vary enough, as in Helmet types.
>no variation in OST, very bland and few tracks
do not care
>no variety in multiplayer modes
Thread is about single player.

>It's a fun game but it's first and foremost a multiplayer title and as such its forgiven a whole lot more.
Still a better single player game than Parasite Eve, for that few hours of fun it gave.
>>
>>4090671
>tfw want to play Hog of War, but couldn't stand the feels from hearing dear old Rik again after so long
>>
>>4092661
None of the games I posted are shitty, anything that makes it 7/10 to you is just your own obscure preferences.
>>
Mdk
>>
>>4090482
Trying to give some stuff here no one else has said yet.
Intelligent Qube
Andventure of Lomax
Megaman 8
Blasto
Legacy of Kain
Soul Reaver
LSD: Dream Emulator

Also as someone who loves third/fourth gen jrpgs I actually agree with you, a lot of ps1 jrpgs are pretty shit. Still, there are some real classics there, not everything is bad anon.
Breath of Fire III
Breath of FIre IV
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Saga Frontier
Saga Frontier 2
Dragon Quest VII

All fucking fantastic jrpgs that I at least liked enough to complete, check these out anon.
>>
>>4090715
>classic RE games have no replayability? they are some of the comfiest PS1 games dude.
Being "comfy" and having replayability aren't the same thing.
"Comfy" might make you want to return to the game because you like playing the game multiple times, but that's subjective.
Replayability, in strict terms, is not subjective, is very dependent on what the game offers to the players once they beaten it once.

In RE case:
If i replay it, does the game offer different approaches/routes to the same situations? No.
Does it offer different situations, or altered ones? No.
Is the atmosphere given by not knowing how things will evolve part of the gameplay so that knowing things prior will in fact take a lot away from said atmosphere? Yes
By knowing things prior, can I skip parts of the game and/or fights taking away a huge amount of the thrill given by the first play though? Yes.
Is the game still scary by knowing what will happen and when will happen? No.
RE has no replayability, the only choice you have once you replay it is to skim through it knowing things you can avoid and knowing exactly where to go for the things you need(you can't magically pretend you don't know things and go the wrong ways on purpose just cause), the exploration portion is gone, the scare factor is gone, the pure thrill of not knowing how to deal with what you have and trying to find a solution while anything unknown could jump out of nowhere is gone.

It might be "comfy" for you, and if it is, it is because YOU like replaying the same game with the knowledge you have, altering the experience(in a bad way), not because it has replayability.
>>
>>4090482
bump
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.