[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck was Smithers so fucking evil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

File: smithersbombs.jpg (112KB, 930x540px) Image search: [Google]
smithersbombs.jpg
112KB, 930x540px
Why the fuck was Smithers so fucking evil?
>>
The things you do for love...
>>
>>4089781
>>
>>4089775
Black
>>
>>4089775
1ccing this game sucks.
>>
>>4089792
gyatto gyuddo
>>
>>4089775
I was told this game came out before a lot of characters really settled into their personalities, so Konami just did whatever they wanted with them.
>>
>>4089775
I'm still triggered they got everybody important BUT Harry Shearer to do the voices
>>
>>4089781
Fuck...
>>
loved the treehouse of horror game on gbc anything else i should check out?
>>
>>4089792
Play the Jap version then
>>
>>4089775
he gay
>>
>>4089775

bcause mr burns was
>>
>>4089775
you got to be extra suspicious of the quiet ones
>>
>>4089775
Doesn't he basically condone all the atrocities Burns commits out of a selfish one-sided love
>>
>>4089775
The show was on it's second season. The characters weren't fully established.

At that point, smithers was black and the father of sherry and terry (the twins in bart's class), Ralphs dad wasn't chief Wiggum, Barney Gumball had blond hair and so on.
>>
>>4089775
This game had like two and a half kinds of enemies, you only idolize it because it was on the arcade.
>>
File: good-job.png (4KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
good-job.png
4KB, 320x200px
>>4089775
How come the 90s Simpsons games were so wacky and out there thematically? They just feel off.

Except for Bart's Nightmare, which sort of works since it's all a dream, the other games include all kinds of fantasy and sci-fi elements in the "real" world and a general cartoonish wackiness that was never present even in the show, even in the Treehouse of horror episodes.
>>
>>4089781
STUPID DOG MAKING ME GAY.
>>
>>4090138
>smithers was black and the father of sherry and terry (the twins in bart's class)

You know it's weird in all this time there hasn't been a single episode about them
>>
>>4090398
Kinda hard to make an action game out of a sitcom without introducing fantasy elements
>>
>>4089792
Is there even enough strategy involved to do that? The bosses seem to retaliate at random.
>>
>>4089823
Which is pretty evident if you remember the earlier designs of characters being included. Barney still has his yellow hair design, for example.
>>
>>4090398
Because in the earlier seasons of the show, it wasn't clear what the focus really was going to be. The plots leaned into serious drama, Bart was still in the "Eat my shorts" phase before the show became self-aware about it, etc.
>>
File: canon.jpg (24KB, 318x286px) Image search: [Google]
canon.jpg
24KB, 318x286px
>>4090460
Why make action games though? They could've done puzzle, party minigames, top-down action-adventure, point and click, kart racing, multiple sports -- tons of options. And they instead chose to do half a dozen games about The Simpsons going in murderous -sometimes international- rampages.

The Game Boy games are a little more Simpsons-y, but still too unhinged
>>
File: 1255914-tsw_pal_cover.jpg (664KB, 1441x1478px) Image search: [Google]
1255914-tsw_pal_cover.jpg
664KB, 1441x1478px
>>4090498
>sports games
Just a reminder that when The Simpsons went into sports games, we got dogshit like pic related. Their bowling foray wasn't much better.
Your main point is valid, but platformers and action games worked for The Simpsons at the time, and people didn't see a need to change. Some licenses(Mario) got to branch out in other genres, and others didn't. The Simpsons got it worse...when they DID try to branch out, it was a cheap cash grab(my only explanation for the two sports games). While we got a sizable amount of decent games in the platforming/action genre, it wasn't until the non-retro era that we started getting GOOD Simpsons games.
>>
>>4089823
You were told that?
>>
>>4090138
This was also before sideshow bob kept trying to kill bart. He makes a cameo but leaves even bart alone.
>>
>>4090498
This was the arcade, which limited what you could do.
>>
>>4089792
Isn't this one of those games where they automatically kill you if you haven't died after a certain period of time to fuck with people trying to 1cc the game? I know TMNT: Turtles in Time pulls that kind of bullshit.
>>
>>4090675
>The Simpsons wrestling
>dogshit
>>
>>4090723
Some arcade games had puzzle elements.
>>
>>4090498
Even the Simpsons puzzle games had weird concepts.
>>
>>4089775

His left hand looks like he's jerking off
>>
>>4090498
I still don't get why they made that Bartman game.
>>
>>4090735
Not that I'm aware of, at least not in the JP arcade version (which I did manage to 1cc).
>>
>>4090735
WHAT? Were did you read that rumor?
>>
>>4090735
Can confirm, Turtles in Time has a hidden 5 minute timer that will drop an insta-kill bomb on you when it runs out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOnt5eIYNA&feature=youtu.be&t=21m54s
Copy paste link to see it being dodged.
>>
>>4092738
Time stamp or it's just a spicy rambling for an hour
>>
>>4092745
Right there on the link, 21m 54s
>>
>>4090735
I checked and there doesn't seem to be an American version of The Simpsons Arcade, only World. You can find the World version 1ccs on Google and it doesn't look like there's a time limit.
>>
>>4090498
Because at the time side scrollers with mascots were goddamn huge. They defined the entire market so when you got a license you applied it to the most popular genre.

The reason why most of these games are so weird is because no one knew how to make a cross over game. They hadn't figures out how to use characters and make a game around them. Previously they would just be point and click adventures or fetch quests. Since those were massively out of style they went for whacky 90s platformer with what if scenarios.

American gladiators? Sure. Bart at an evil summer camp? Makes sense. Bart Vs aliens? Well he spray paints, has a sling shot and a skateboard, he could fight aliens like a Nickelodeon series so let's do it
>>
>>4090675
>wrestling
>sports
>>
>>4092747
He clearly dodges that and it seems to be linked to him not moving forward not a timer. So where the fuck is the undodgable one on a five minute timer?
>>
>>4092759
I can read spic, he says the later levels are impossible to beat under 5 minutes and the bomb will always drop and it's possible to dodge them but very difficult.
>>
>>4092759
I wouldn't put past Konami of America to pull off something like that, they did the exact same thing with Metamorphic Force US.
>>
>>4090735
>>4092738
Some Konami games (beat em ups and run and guns like Sunset Riders) have a 'hurry' prompt for you to proceed forward when you've cleared the screen and will auto-kill you after a few seconds if you don't move, but I don't think there's and auto-kill function for simply being good at the game and not dying.
>>
>>4092764
Then he's full of shit. All he does is jump and it's dodged. It also seems dedicated to not moving. Stops people going afk between fight scenes
>>
>>4092776
Someone could download the UAA version of the game, enable cheats and confirm this.
>>
>>4090676
My dad works for the simpsons, yes
>>
>>4092782
This is what he says
+HDL En nivel normal no hay tiempo para terminar las fases 5, 6 y 8, a menos que evites la bomba y midas el tiempo. Yo también he podido completar el juego en nivel fácil usando a Mike , perdiendo la vida en la fase 6. Reconozco que es mucho más divertido jugar así que teniendo que estar pendiente de los malditos 5 minutos, pero la filosofía de mi canal es jugar a los juegos con las opciones por defecto. Agradezco tus comentarios y el link a tu partida. Me ha encantado verla y saber que alguien más ha sufrido con este infierno de juego. Un saludo!

+ hdl at normal level there is no time to complete phases 5, 6 and 8, unless you avoid the pump and time. i have also been able to complete the game at an easy level using mike, losing my life in phase 6. i recognize that it is much more fun to play so having to watch out for the damn 5 minutes, but the philosophy of my channel is to play the games with the default options. i appreciate your comments and the link to your game. i have loved to see it and to know that someone else has suffered with this game hell. a greeting!
>>
File: Y3sAvur[1].jpg (56KB, 510x383px) Image search: [Google]
Y3sAvur[1].jpg
56KB, 510x383px
>>4090468
And Wiggum had black hair. Also Smithers was originally a black man. Sometimes in the first season peripheral characters were voiced by different actors and there was little consistency because even the creators didn't know if they'd be one-off characters or show regulars. They didn't even know if they'd get a second season at that point and it was during those first two seasons that the arcade game was being developed.
>>
>>4092802
Yeah, I was trying to start watching the simpsons 'cuz I never really have and black Smithers confused me.
>>
>>4092803
I was Simpsons-crazy as a kid. I had the Panini sticker book before the show had even aired in the UK. I remember a lot of the stickers were taken from the Tracey Ullman show shorts. It was a big deal when Sky TV got the UK rights to The Simpsons as it was probably the biggest thing going in the US at the time. Sky probably sold a lot of subscriptions based alone on getting the Simpsons rights which is amazing considering it's just a cartoon but even in those early days it was a phenomenon and there was lots of hype. I taped every single episode of those first seasons and I've still got the VHSs.

Sorry for the blog post.
>>
>>4092820
No, it's cool. I totally just missed the boat like I did with Batman the animated series... This is all very high-quality stuff.
>>
>>4092546
Does he have a penis on his head?
>>
>>4089775
But that is clearly Milhouse.
>>
>>4089823
In retrospect I'm glad it played out that way for the sake of the game, it's fun to have a snapshot into the DON'T HAVE A COW MAN era instead of the standard references.

>>4090014
>loved the treehouse of horror game on gbc anything else i should check out?
Anyone else want to vouch for that being a good game? Usually Simpsons arcade is considered the only good retro one, and some Final Fight nerds will try to argue that even.
>>
>>4090138
>the father of sherry and terry
Sorry, but you're misremembering Homer's Odyssey
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Mackleberry
>>
>>4092546
right hand
>>
>>4089775
Repressed hommmasexual rage.
>>
>>4090676
This game DID come out in the middle of the second season, meaning that it was probably being programmed during the production of the second season. Can't really assume that many of the characters had that concrete of personalities yet; especially since the early writers admit that they'd just recycle background characters for episodes if they needed a new person for the Simpsons to talk to.
>>
>>4090338
People idolize it because The Simpsons were turbo-popular at the time and it blew kids' minds that there was an arcade game of it. Remember; The Simpsons were literally considered morally objectionable to conservatives when it first came out and those parents refused to let their kids watch it, so the arcade game was probably the one time some kids got to bask in the warm yellow glow of Springfield.
>>
>>4090398
>the other games include all kinds of fantasy and sci-fi elements in the "real" world and a general cartoonish wackiness that was never present even in the show
>he doesn't know about the modern episodes
>>
>>4095137
Specifically, Bob giving himself powers using animals' DNA, Lisa inventing sentient AI, and Homer literally dying and being cloned back to life. In non-Treehouse episodes.
>>
>>4095139
I'm glad I don't watch this shit any more. Early shows dealt with sibling rivalry, morality, bullying, love, infidelity, failure, loneliness, terminal illness, death and the power of family in a very real but humorous way. The humour came from situations the audience could relate to. Now it's just about being how zany and off the wall it can be, probably to compete with other shit shows like Family Guy.
>>
>>4095165
>Now it's just about being how zany and off the wall it can be, probably to compete with other shit shows like Family Guy

It's most undoubtedly this. I remember reading somewhere that, for some of Homer's dumber escapades, there was a sort of "rule" in the writing room in the Golden Era that you were suppose to write Homer as if he wasn't aware that he could die. And by "rule", it was meant more of a comedic set up because no one sane would come up with that plan or have a comedic reaction to whatever situation he was in.

Modern episodes have all but have him admit with complete seriousness that he's immortal. In fact, I think there's in a joke were he says something along the lines of "I keep trying but nothing kills me."
>>
>>4095139
Anything Season 15 onwards is non canon.
>>
>>4092802
werent Groening and co making silly cover up excuses for this instances on the first season on the simpsons, like claiming that Smithers being black was just an änimation error", or claming that Lisa was not really naked in her appearence on Simpsons under a roasting fire just wearing a "body suit".
>>
>>4095578
When did Matt Groeing confirm this, if at all?
>>
>>4095786

I'm sure a degree of that is bullshit but he does detail the animation process on commentaries for those early episodes and it sounds like a fucking nightmare - like 60% of the work was done in Korea, where the animators had a limited understanding of both English and the show and, in a non-digital age, they had to rely on the post office every week. It's understandable they'd just have to air it warts and all sometimes.

If you think that smells like bullshit you should hear the shit they come out with on the later bad episodes - it's really easy to see how the show got in such a state
>>
>>4091497
The game is unplayable.
>>
>>4095578
Anything after Season 10 is non-canon and never happened.

Seasons 3-9 are the true golden age and we will never see it again. 10 had a couple good episodes that's about it.
>>
>>4095826
When he made Futurama

The decline of Simpsons is directly related to the creation of Futurama
>>
>>4094568
You misspelled Homersexual.
>>
>>4096156

It ends at "Behind the Laughter" for me. Perfect meta as fuck closer episode, pretty sure they were playing with it being the last internally too.
>>
>>4096156

Yup, I stop at 10, too. Everything after is pure, sub-Family Guy bullshit.
>>
>>4089775
Thumbnail looks like Bart is holding a big bong
>>
>>4090401
Fuck you I thought I was done laughing from that sequence
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.