[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does vr think of the original crash trilogy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: tmp_1341-box-828425333.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1341-box-828425333.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
I never played these games properly as a kid but I remember enjoying the brief time I spent on them at a friend's place. I'm thinking about getting the remaster trilogy, especially since so many fags are waiting about hard they supposedly are. A hard game would be refreshing.

Anyway how do you rate the original trilogy as platformers? What would you give them out of 10? How would you rank them with other classics like the dkc trilogy on snes, smw and Mario 64?

Cheers.
>>
>>4089727
*wailing
>>
>>4089727
Fun games desu.
>>
I was an edgy teen when they came out so they skipped them but in going back and playing them as a full-fledged adult they're probably the best example of the 2D platformer being translated directly into 3D space and they're quite fancy looking considering how early they were in the 5th gen especially the first game.
>>
>>4089727
fun but overrated. 1 is good, 2 is the best, 3 has too many stupid gimmicks and shitty levels to be enjoyable for me but the good parts are good. remake looks like typical easymode garbage, and the old games hold up surprisingly well for 20 year old games. get the ps1 trilogy (or emulate w/ mednafen), you won't regret it, but don't expect a masterpiece either.
>>
>>4089727
These games were:

>funny and cool
>not very hard (as far as I remember)
>a nice replacement for the 3D Sonic we never had
>good value for money

A solid 8/10 for the era, but I won't buy the new version. No nostalgia for this game: it never had the impact of Mario or Sonic, not even Spyro. It didn't fascinate me. Just a funny game.
>>
Helped Forge modern 3D platforming as we know it
>>
>>4089765
Sorry but that's not a Mario 64 thread.
>>
>>4089769
It did do what Nintendo eventually went on to do, a bunch of linear levels in 3D rather than a Sandbox to save space.
>>
>>4089769
Most platformers in the 5th and the 6th to some extent played like crash though.Mario 64 mainly influenced future Nintendo titles like OoT
>>
>>4089836
Mario 64 birthed collectathons which lived on for at least 10 years. What 3D platformers tried to copy Crash?
>>
What I like about Crash:
>Simple yet fun pick up and play gameplay
>Gorgeous graphics
>Full of charm
>Decent challenge but not too difficult

What I don't like about Crash:
>Levels have very little replay value
>Gimmick levels (gets worse after the first game)

One really important thing to note about the Crash games is that they have very simple physics and Crash does not gain/lose momentum while moving. This is often cited as a con, but in Crash it works because the levels are designed around the simple physics. The games put more emphasis on timing and precise inputs, rather than creative use of the environment. FWIW, I like the first game the best.
>>
I really don't like the physics in Crash, is there even any? no momentum or anything.
I think the FOV was also too small.

I appreciate that it tried to be a normal platformer rather than what Nintendo tried doing
>>
>>4089727
Crash is shit. I can't stand the stock music
>>
>>4089937
The music is indeed unremarkable and cheapens the game, while even Bubsy had a memorable soundtrack.
>>
I think they're perfectly fine games. They're well made and well polished, have a good gimmick (that is being a 2d platformer turned 90 degrees), utilized their hardware obscenely well.

The linear corridor-styled levels can be a detriment, due in fact that they really only expect you to beat the levels in one way and only give you the options to do it in that one way (compared to SM64 where one star can have multiple viable strategies). I get how people dislike that because it can kill replay value or creativity but I think it lends itself well to creating challenges in the game, unlike SM64 there are rarely any instances in the trilogy where you can just completely circumvent a challenge to reach a goal.

I think Crash 3 is shite, though. The normal crash levels are devoid of challenge and content and the gimmick levels are awful and not fun.

I've been playing the N. Sanity Trilogy, and I rarely say this about remakes, but it rendered the original games completely obsolete in my eyes.
>>
>>4089976
>the gimmick levels are awful and not fun

The jetski stage was my own version of Wave Race 64, as I was too poor to have a N64 in the first place. It was literally a free bonus game in the game for those who couldn't afford better. It was neat.
>>
>>4089836
>Most platformers in the 5th and the 6th to some extent played like crash though.Mario 64 mainly influenced future Nintendo titles like OoT
Errr what? 5th and 6th gen were utterly filled with Mario 64 clones (and clones of clones). Literally nothing was influenced by Crash because it brought almost nothing new to the table except putting a new '3D perspective' on DKC.

It's true that 7th gen onward had a revival of linear platformers (particularly on Wii and iPhone) but it's a bit of a stretch to say that they were influenced by Crash in any significant way. Mario Galaxy was influenced by Sunshine's bonus levels, which were basically "SMB in 3D", so basically sidestepped Crash.
>>
>>4089727
Can't remember which part in the trilogy, but there was that stage that I couldn't get the time trial crystal
>>
Only played CTR and GBA ports but they were good games. Going to buy the remaster this monday.
>>
Crash 1 and 2 are god tier. Even though Warped is the first one I got as a kid, I think it's now my least favorite of the three. Most of the gimmick levels are okay, except for the plane & motorcycle ones, those drag the game down hard imo. (Especially the bike ones.. why the fuck are there so many?)
>>
It's garbage and always has been.

>t. Bootytickled Spyrofag
>>
>>4090730
the bike levels are fun imo, it's the underwater levels that suck
>>
>>4089727
I loved crash because it was like a classic 2D side-scroller (my favorite genre) but on 3D. I was never a fan of collectathons. I find the old “go from A to B avoiding hazards” scheme funnier than collecting shit all over a 3D open world.

>crash 1
Most challenging and platformer one. But it was one of the first 3D platform games and like all of them the controls suck. Crash 2 and 3 were a big improvement.
>crash 2
Best one. Lot of new stuff and great controls. The 2 gimmick levels were awesome and memorable. The only flaw is, when compared to the prequel, the difficulty drop. Not saying it’s easy though.
>crash 3
Worst one. I understand back then gimmick levels were fascinating, but there are way too many of these and not enough platforming. Crash 3 gimmicks were not near as good as Crash 2 gimmicks. Also, the bazooka and the infinite spin fucks all the platform levels challenge.
>>
>>4091138
This. Now CTR on the other hand, is a great kart racer.
>>
>>4089727
Funny characters, nice music that's quite catchy and the game's difficulty is fair even if you try to 100% complete them.

... Crash Bandicoot 3's Platinum Relics are a whole different story though.
>>
>>4089727
>Anyway how do you rate the original trilogy as platformers?
>1
A timeless classic platformer.
>2
Weaker platforming, more action, timeless classic game.
>3
A few good platforming levels, lots of fat and garbage.
>>
>>4092837
Crash is neither timeless, nor a classic. It's a B-grade platformer from the 90s that sold extremely well on the back of great graphics and little credible competition on the PS1.
>>
>>4092853
I bet you think Mario Galaxy is anything more than glorified toilet paper.
>>
It's a Naughty Dog game. For better or worse, you can tell it was made by the Uncharted guys.
>>
These games were never good.
>>
the definition of alright fun
>>
>>4089727
1 > 3 > 2
I used to think otherwise but after some time I started preferring 1 because it's more challenging and doesn't include gimmick levels like 2 and 3, other than hog ride. It had shitty controls though.
I find 2 the easiest and the final boss is a huge disappointment so I dislike it the most. Plus I hate it's jetpack levels more than 3's gimmick levels. Warped is pretty good and has fun powerups. But it had more non-platformer levels which makes the game meh. At least the flying and underwater levels, the rest (Coco's other levels, motorcycle levels) are fine.
All three, 8.5/10. They score similarly in my eyes simply because all had their own flaws. 1 had bad controls, 2 was way too easy and the final boss was shit, 3 had too many gimmicks.

>ranking against mario
Crash > Mario, simply because of more lovable characters.

Overall Spyro trilogy is better.

I wouldn't get the remakes simply because of the flops remake made.
>>
File: latest[1].png (87KB, 618x414px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
87KB, 618x414px
>>4091324
>I loved crash because it was like a classic 2D side-scroller (my favorite genre) but on 3D. I find the old “go from A to B avoiding hazards” scheme funnier than collecting shit all over a 3D open world.

basically this. the people who compare crash to mario64 or spyro simply because they're 3D are missing the point
>>
>>4089727
Nice music and jungle theme overall is great, nice background and level graphics, sounds are okay to bad, character design is bad, and the gameplay is awful and boring after a while.
>>
>>4093010
>and the gameplay is awful
why? it's a platformer, the fuck do you want?
>>
>>4089727
I like the simplicity of Crash 1 but FUCK the save system, also the controls weren't as tight.

Crash 2 was great, enough new stuff to warrant a sequel. I preferred the world map thing over the warp room shit though, but I recognize that it allowed them to be more creative with the stage settings.

Crash 3 had too many gimmicks, as many anons pointed it out. It's still fun, but some of the powerups were dumb, like the bazooka, and the vehicle stages sucked ass.
>>
>>4089727
I played 2 and warped.
>2 is a lot like donkey kong country
>warped is better and I played more.
I don't think I ever beat either of them. I remember I bought a yoyo as a kid because crash had one.
>>
>>4089880
There weren't really any physics at all in the first game, at least not that I recall. 2 had the slide jump and 3 had running and slowing your descent by spinning a lot in the air.
>>
File: epsxe2012-06-1911-36-r6u5q.png (938KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
epsxe2012-06-1911-36-r6u5q.png
938KB, 1024x768px
I feel so out of touch because the Crash trilogy still looks good, graphically, to me. Why remake it?
>>
>>4093046
the game looks and plays fine
>Why remake it?
money
>>
>>4093046
People are retarded and continue to consume remakes remasters and sequels instead of original games.
>>
>>4093056
I've been thinking and I think that a lot of these people are people who know of Crash Bandicoot. They know of these great games but never had a chance to play them. The convenience of having all three games together, in a graphical condition they're used to makes this ideal for those people. More casual gamers, who want to try what other gamers say is great
>>
>>4089727
These games are hard only if you are going to total completion. If you just wanna run through the levels and get to the end, then they're not difficult.

1 and 2 have some really brutal parts if you want all the gems.
>>
>>4093056
Because the original games are generally garbage, modern devs couldn't design an interesting game to save their sad cucked lives.
>>
>>4093046
To play as Coco with your pants lower than Matthew Perry's during a Klonoa playthrough.
>>
>>4093046
Coco isn't playable in all levels. Which is a shame that nobody made a mod to the game to play as coco. Although PS games are never moded because of reasons.
>>
>>4092938
Basically no one who worked on the Crash games is at Naughty Dog anymore, or were around when they made Uncharted.
>>
>>4092938
But the remake wasn't made by naughty dog.
>>
>>4092934
Not him, and I'm not sure why you brought up Galaxy, but Galaxy is a much better game than any of the Crash games.
>>
>>4089727
Bottom line:

Remaster is great. The environments feel lush and alive, and the remastered soundtrack is terrific. And trust me, getting 100% completion on the first one is hard as fuck.

If you have a PS4, pick up the new one.
>>
>>4093635
>remaster is great
It really isn't.
>>
File: 1408838236618.png (11KB, 411x387px) Image search: [Google]
1408838236618.png
11KB, 411x387px
>>4089937
>>4089973
>>4091138
>>4092853
>>4092947
>>4093012
>>4093090
>>4093573
How does one acquire such shit taste?
>>
>>4091327
Its actually interesting to see how it is a carbon copy of mario cart gameplay wise.
You fire up mario cart and everything is here, just with crash characters.
>>
>>4093812
I played them years apart, but from my memory CTR is much better. It was so good I still play it once a year now.
I'll try to go back to mario kart and then immediately play CTR to see how similar they actually are.
>>
>>4093812
>Nintenbabby thinks every kart racer is a clone of mario cart
>>
>>4093838
>t.Fucking retard

If you havent played either then at least bother to google a gameplay or something.
The moment you fire up the very first mario cart you instantly recognise the -jump-slide-nitro system and everything else.
The game is a carbon copy gameplay wise.

>>4093837
> from my memory CTR is much better.
For starters its in full 3D which instantly removes the issue of 5fps scrolling, never could bear 2D racing games that tried to emulate 3D because of this, Roar Rash is the only one where I strugge trough headaches and eye burn.

Then there is a matter of map not taking half the screen.

Then there is everything else, of course CTR is better but it is a copy gameplay wise.
Played mario cart just now to see how it stack up and was surprised by the fact it was CTR just in 2D.
>>
>>4089727
>1
Shit. Because it's too hard for children. You can gain a gemstone only if you complete a level without dying. This is retarded idea.
>2
Best. New gimmicks improved gameplay. But reducing level difficulty was a mistake.
>3
Better than 1, but worse than 2. Shitty levels and new shitty gimmicks.

Overall: good music, memorable characters and fun to play.
>>
>>4093874
>Shit. Because it's too hard for children.
then try playing it again when you grow up
>>
>>4093863
Please be bait.
>>
>>4093874
>crash bandicoot
>hard
pleb.
>>
>>4093876
I played these games before 7th console generation, underage.

>>4093883
Learn to read, blind faggot. I found only first CB game to be difficult.
>>
>>4089973
>>4089937
Are you kidding me? Am I getting trolled? Crash 1 has some of the best music in a video game I've ever heard man. Such memorable tracks, all so unique and engaging.
>>
File: NGIN.png (404KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
NGIN.png
404KB, 1024x768px
AND ONE FOR THE ROAD
>>
>>4095750
This. It has amazing music.

>>4095763
CTR needs to be remastered and released on all platforms. Bundled with crash bash. No matter how much hate bash gets I still think it's a good party game simply because of the multiplayer campaign.
They should add more characters though.
>>
Crash 1 and 2 were great. I didn't play the third.
>>
Reminder that original devs of crash twinsanity are thinking about remaking it with all the missing levels. Anything that was cut because they were rushed will finally be made.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.